NEGenweb Project
Merrick County
On Line Resources

Merrick County's 100th Year: 1858-1958



Photograph

MERRICK COUNTY TEACHERS' INSTITUTE IN ABOUT 1910.
There were more teachers in the County then than there are now.

Photograph

Palmer's First Schoolhouse Built In 1888


Palmer Schools
1888-1938

Education has advanced a long way in Palmer since the first schoolhouse was built in 1888. In 1953, the fine new auditorium and gymnasium was constructed to add to the facilities of the school. With overall dimensions of 60 by 110 feet this building provides large size basketball floor with adequate seating room, stage, modern kitchen facilities, rest rooms, and basement dressing rooms for athletes.

The year 1958 ushers in a new era for Palmer schools. Ten rural school districts in this area have been consolidated with Palmer school district No. 49. To provide transportation, a fleet of six or seven big school buses will need to be provided. Additional school buildings, will need to be constructed. For temporary use, two or more rural schoolhouses will be moved into town for class rooms.

Districts consolidating are: Numbers 49,31, 36, 63, 47, 58, 51, 60, and 4 of Merrick County, 61 of Nance County, and 52, 69, 80 of Merrick, Nance and Howard Counties.

 

 


Compliments of
CENTRAL FARM DEVELOPMENT
Central City

Photograph

PALMER HIGH SCHOOL.
63


 

Previous Page Button
Table of Contents Button
Index to Names Button
Next Page Button

© 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Mary Alice Vampola, Ted & Carole Miller