NEGenWeb Project
Merrick County

Merrick County News


Scrapbook of Mrs. C. J. (Elizabeth) Dittmer

Assumption - that all these were published in the Clark's Enterprise ...
or the newspaper of Shelby, IOWA
None of the articles bear a publication date or name of newspaper.

Scrapbook, page 25


   Gladys Lucille Campbell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Campbell was born at Carson, Iowa, September 9th, 1898, where she lived with her parents until nine years of age when she moved with them to Clarks, Nebraska. The family made Clarks their home until their removal to Oakland, Iowa, October first of this year, where they lived at the time of the death of Miss Gladys.
   On Sunday December 15th she was stricken with influenza which developed into pneumonia, resulting in her death Christmas afternoon at four twenty o'clock.
   Miss Gladys wanted to live. She had great promise of success and happiness, and was especially anxious for the opportunities that were certain to come to her splendid, ambitious and earnest life. A few days before her death she asked her father to close the door of her room that the other members of the family might not be saddened by her prayer which she offered so earnestly for the preservation of her life. But her life was not to be spared for the dear ones for it seemed that her Heavenly Father needed just such a life for the Courts of God, so he plucked the flower which is to go on shedding fragrance and beauty in that land where the frost of disease never blight nor kill.
     Gladys became a christian when a girl of fourteen years. She made public confession of Christ at this time and united with the Union church near their home at Clarks, of which she remained a member until her death. She was a regular and faithful attendant of the church and Sunday school services. She was dedicated to God in the rite of Christian baptism in infancy, by her parents. On the day before her death she reaffirmed her faith in Christ and confessed happily to His presence with her in this time of great need.
   She was to have been married to Henry L. Martin, who is in the service of his country at Camp Holobird, Maryland, and had been waiting anxiously for his honorable discharge that he might come to claim her hand in marriage. A letter redeclaring his affection and restating their plans came from him the day after her death.
   The loss of this beautiful young life is sustained by the father and mother, Mr. and

Mrs. James Campbell, the grandmother, Mrs. Hannah Campbell of Oakland, the grandfather William Cross of Fayette, Iowa, the brothers, Charles who died in infancy, Arthur who is in the 89th Division of the A.E.F. and a part of the army of occupation in Germany; Earl who received his honorable discharge at Camp Dodge Dec. 24th and arrived at home just in time to see Gladys before her death. Walter and Robert who are at home; one sister, Miss Mable who is just now recovering from the influenza; the more distant relatives and many loving and true friends.    The floral offerings were many and profuse, some of which were sent from the former home at Clarks.
   She died at their home in Oakland December 25, aged 20 years, 3 month and 16 days.
     Funeral services were held at the house and at Belknap cemetery, Friday afternoon by Rev. Chas. M. Edmondson, where interment immediately followed.  


Thos. F. Burrus Dies    
      At a Ripe Old Age

   Thomas Foster Burrus, for many years a resident of this part of the country, died at his home near Silver Creek last Friday. The old gentlemen had been ailing for sometime past due to his extreme old age, and last Friday he was called to his reward, after having lived a useful life of some 92 years.
   Thomas Burrus was born December 22, 1826 at Orange County Virginia, and passed away at his home near Silver Creek, on Friday, December 20 1919 and if he had lived only two days more he would have been exactly 92 years of age. Mr. Burrus was on the civil war veterans, and immediately after the war came to Nebraska, where he has resided ever since. The deceased is survived by one son who lives on his father's place near Silver Creek, and five grand-children and two great-grandchildren. Four of the grand-children are the children of Thomas Burrus Jr., and the other grand-child is Mrs. Frank McLean. Mr. Burrus was an old pioneer in the country and was well known and loved by a host of very warm friends.


   John F. Kohl was born near Benton, Nebraska, Colfax Co., Sept. 20, 1886. When 6 year of age his parents moved to Genoa Nebr., and 2 years later moved to the home place three miles east of Clarks.
   Here he grew up to manhood and endeared himself to all who knew him.
   On Dec. 28, 1910 he was married to Miss Emma Hensen of Genoa, Nebr., and has since resided on his farm just north of the old homestead. He died at his home after a two weeks sickness Friday morning, February 13, 1920. Aged 34 years, 4 months and 12 days.
   He leaves a wife, one son 8 years old, one daughter 5 years old, an aged father and mother, two brothers, William and Herman, who live three miles east of Clarks, one sister, Mrs. Dora Bunkleson, who lives sixteen miles west of Clarks, many other relatives and a host of friends.
   He will be missed by all who knew him and his place will be hard to fill. He was every (sic) ready to help others who were in trouble. Two weeks ago when he should have been in bed he was out tightening something that was wrong on someone's machinery.
   Let us so live that when we go; we like him shall be remembered by the good we have done.
   The funeral services were held Monday morning February 16th at the M. E. church. Rev. W. T. Taylor, the pastor, conducted the services. Rev. Kreamer led in prayer. The choir rendered some appropriate selections. The floral offerings were numerous, and beautiful. The interment was made in the Genoa cemetery.

NOTE: His sister's married surname is DANKLESEN. See Merrick Co. Marriage Records.


Scrapbook, page 26

 From John Dittmer

Somewhere in France

Dear Folks: -- I will try and write you a few lines. Am well and hope this finds you the same. The weather is fine and has been that way for some time, only a little cord mornings. Since the roaring of the guns has stopped the sun is shining every day.
   Received your letter several days ago but did not have time to write then so must get busy ow. We are pretty busy now, cold or warm weather, it makes no difference. This letter wont be censored by our officers, only by the Base censor, so I think I can make this a little longer.
   I am just eating a piece of real candy. We are off duty this afternoon and I am sure glad, for I have had to work pretty hard ever since I landed here. We went to the front three weeks after we arrived and I have seen things I dont care to see. Have been driving trucks all the time and at night I have to drive without lights.
   Ten of us are living in a little dugout. I suppose you wont know what that is. It is a hole in the ground with a door on one end. We are sure glad to get a place to sleep. We are use to sleeping only one hour during a night and there were times we would not get any sleep for a whole week, other than living on the seat of the truck while the boys were loading the ammunition and while we were on our way the rest of the boys would sleep on the shell cases.
   One night as I was taking a load of ammunition to the battery one of the rear wheels went into a shell hole. I am glad the rest of the wheels did not go in as there was hole enough to drown the truck.
   I think by the time this reaches you Herman will be home, as I have not heard from him for a while.
   I saw three nurses yesterday, the first I have seen. They were out looking at the ruined buildings and battlefields.
   I have tasted one glass of wine but dont like it as it is pretty sour. I have not seen Paris yet, but I hope to get a chance some day.
   I think we can take pictures now. I could sure get some good ones of places which have been destroyed and the big shell holes. I would like to take home a few souvenirs if I can take care of them. Sometimes we have to carry all our clothes. I did not see any Clarks boys for a long time and it seems rather funny.
   A little flea bit me last night and I think if another one bites me I will declare war on him. They are worse than the mosquitoes in Nebraska.

   I guess by this time you are getting the turkey ready for Thanksgiving. I done a little washing this morning and it has been out all day it is still wet so I will have to hang it by the stove to night.
   Am wishing dad a happy birthday.
   I will have to eat supper now so I will have to quit. As ever

John Dittmer


From Frank Wees

Ably, France, Nov, 24th

Michael Wees
   Clarks, Nebr.
Dear Father:
   I am writing you a few word today as this is Father's day. I am well and I hope this letter will find you the same. Now I will start and write you, as near as I can remember, of what I did to help win this war.
   I was transferred from my old Co. at Camp Funston on the 27th day of March to the Depot Brigade, and I left that at Camp Funston on April 2, 1918, for Camp Sevier, South Carolina. I was four days on my way to Camp Sevier and arrived on the morning of April 5th, and I left for Camp Mills, Long Island, N. Y., at noon May 21st and got there on the 23rd at 6 o'clock in the morning. I left for Montreal Canada at 6 a. m., Mary 25, arrived May 26, at 7 a. m., and here is where we boarded an ocean liner, the S. S. Port Lincoln. She pulled away from the dock about 1 p. m. and anchored for the night, and the next day we sailed for Halifax, Nova Scotia arriving May 31st at 9 a. m. The next day the S. S. Port Lincoln turned her nose oceanward, her machinery began to work, and we were off. We had a fine trip and the harder she rocked the better I liked it.
   We arrived in Liverpool, England, June 12t, 9 a. m. and marched from there to a camp called Knottyash. From here we went by rail to to (sic) Winchester, England. They took us to a camp by the name of Moonhill. While there I had the opportunity of seeing the old Winchester Castle. It is a beautiful castle. We left here June 20th, boarded a train for Southhamton (sic).
   There we boarded the transport S. S. Antrim and crost the English Channel for France. We arrived at Le Harve, France June 21st. We left Le Harve by rail for Camp Coetquedan. The name of the town at this place is Guet. Here is where I celebrated the 4th of July and also received our last training. This was the best camp I have ever seen, and I sure had some fine

times here.
   We left Camp Coetquedan for the front August 22, at 4 a. m. We arrived at Toul August 25th. We made this trip in box cars. We arrived at the front about 1:30 that night. Here we Pitched out tents and went to bed. Our work here was to deliver ammunition to the 113th, 114th, and 115 Artillery.
   Here is where we showed the Huns how it is done for on September 12th at ten minutes past one in the morning the big guns began to roar and the all-American drive was on. Our doughboys went over the top and the rest of the battle you have no doubt read about. This drive from the Toul front lasted about sixty-five hours. From here we went to the Verdun front and hauled ammunition to the same batteries, and when everything was ready our boys opened on the Huns again. This drive lasted about two days and from here we went to the Argonne woods. They caught hell here, for from what was once woods there remained nothing but shell holes. That is they gave it to them on all of the three fronts I was on. I have seen town after town village after village destroyed and the Germans even shelled churches.
   At present I am in Ambly, France a small village about 20 kilometers from the old front. I was in church this morning to early mass. Hoping to see you soon, I am sincerely,

Frank Wees


Miss Lydia Leaders Becomes the
Bride of Mr. Herman Kay.

   A beautiful wedding was solemnized at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Leaders last Wednesday, February 17th, when their youngest daughter, Miss Lydia, was united in marriage to Mr. Herman Kay, son of Mr. and Mrs. Detlef Kay, the Rev. Jacob Wirth officiating in the presence of about fifty relatives and friends. At 11 o'clock the young people took their places, attended by Mr. Alfred Leaders and Miss Minnie Stuhr. The bride wore a gown of crepe de chine trimmed with oriental lace and carried a bouquet of white roses. After the ceremony a bounteous dinner was served. The bride is an estimable young woman and has a large circle of friends. Mr. Kay is a prosperous farmer. They will make their home on a farm between Hancock and Oakland, where they go to housekeeping accompanied by the best wishes for a prosperous and happy wedded life of a large circle of friends.

Return to DITTMER Scrapbook TOC

© 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Lois Fairfield, T&C Miller