NEGenWeb Project
Merrick County

Merrick County News

Scrapbook of Mrs. C. J. (Elizabeth) Dittmer

Assumption - that all these were published in the Clark's Enterprise ...
or the newspaper of Shelby, IOWA
None of the articles bear a publication date or name of newspaper.

Scrapbook, page 28

Billy Uvick, Popular Omaha
Boxer Signs Up Life Battle

Crippled in France, "Bill" Hobbles Home With Cane
and Surprises His friends, Running Off to Lincoln
to Get Married
Men Who Died   
   In the Service

   After he had traveled all over this country and part of France, looking over the girls, Billy Uvick, the South side middleweight scrapper, at last decided that he couldn't do any better than marry the girl he had been going with for a number of years, Miss Martha Deminski, also of the South Side.
   A professional boxer for a number of years, Billy made quite a reputation in various parts of the country as a middleweight. When the war broke out he made his way to Camp Funston and was there made one of the boxing instructors of the camp. His division went over to France and Billy was right on the job, along with it. He took part in the battle of S. Miheil, Verdun and the Argonne Forest, coming out without an injury.
   Congratulating himself on being able to get home with no scars of battle, Billy had the misfortune to slip as he jumped from an ammunition truck in France and the wheel of the truck passed over his foot, crippling it badly. It was about well and Bill took another ride and again the foot became crippled in almost the same way. This time the surgeons wanted to amputate the hoof, but Bill demurred and objected so strenuously that he kept the foot, though badly crippled.
   His long experience in the boxing game, caring for injured hands, stood Bill in good stead and he surprised the surgeons by bringing the foot around to such condition that he could hobble about with a cane. He came home and was discharged on February 15. He hobbled over to his sweetheart's home and insisted on a little trip. They went to Lincoln and there Bill bought a license and they were married. Again Uvick hobbled to a train and came home a sober married man.
   When questioned about it Uvick said, "I've gone through lots of scraps and never been seriously injured, tackled the kaiser's rough necks and didn't get hurt, so I thought I could take on this life battle with a woman rather safely. I stand a good chance of winning this long scrip if she don't bring an ammunition truck into the ring. They're the only things that can floor me for any length of time."
   The Mr. and Mrs. Bill are out looking over the furniture supply of Omaha and will take up their residence "somewhere" on the South Side.





   The following list of Merrick county, Nebraska, soldiers and sailors who have died in the service was compiled by Attorney J. C. Martin, chairman of the Merrick County Council of Defense, and will we are sure, prove of interest to our readers:
   Hans Hugo Dittmer
, father Henry Dittmer, of Clarks.
   John Earl Gilmer, wife, Ethel Gilmer, Central City.
   Donald Persinger, father, John M. Persinger, Central City.
   Chester O. Moore, father, C. O. Moore, Archer.
   Joe F. Royal, father, Frank Royal, Central City.
   Theodore Elmer Graves, Clarks.
   William Kamper, father, August Kamper, Palmer.
   William Beyer, father, John Beyer, Palmer.
   Andrew Brown, mother, Isabelle Brown, Burkett.
   Roy Berryman, uncle, Bell E. Berryman, Central City.
   Leslie Beck, father, John Beck, Clarks.
   Charles Booth, father, O. Booth, Central City.


Grave of Hans Hugo
Dittmer, Epieds France

   Henry Dittmer has recently received a letter from the war department announcing that his son Hans Hugo, killed in action July 21st was buried in the American cemetery at Epieds, France.
   Hans was a member of the 4th Infantry, and fell in the drive the Americans made north from the Marne. Epieds is about five miles northeast of Chateau Thierry, and is on that sector of the front where many of our boys have lost their lives.
   It is not known yet whether any of the bodies will be brought home, but it is some comfort to know that his gallant boy is sleeping in a marked grave in the land he give his blood to redeem.


Scrapbook, page 29

From John Dittmer

Bittberg, Germany
Dec. 25, 1918

Dear Folks;
   I will try and write you a few lines this evening as have a few hours to myself. I am well and hoping this will find you the same.
   This is my second Christmas in the army, last year at Ft. Riley, Kansas, and now in Germany. I am staying with some German people and am surely are glad to get into a real house and get out of the rain. Last night it snowed and froze and we had a real white Christmas. And last night they brought out a real tree that they had decorated very nicely and after lighting it they brought us some cookies, pies and cakes, so you see that they are treating us fine. In the afternoon, we celebrated in a real German school room which we use for a mess hall. Some of the German people gave us a piano and violin and then the good time did start for we are not used to having music.
   So you thought that I was on my way home. I think you will have to wait a little yet. We have seen some very pretty country, but very hilly, some excellent roads mostly made out of rocks and clay.
   Joe Spires went to the hospital about four weeks ago, having hurt his leg or foot, but I have heard that he is getting along nicely.
   I received five or six Clarks papers lately all at once, and as they were the first for a: long time. I had been a little blue, not hearing from my home town.
   I am still working in the repair shop, and am learning a great deal about trucks, for we now have about thirty and all kinds of work. We have been very busy since moving into Germany. But at the same time we are enjoying the trip.
   I think by the time this letter reaches you Herman will be home again. It won't be long until we all will be back again to the good old U. S. A., where the sun shines. I have seen the sun for about three hours in five weeks and that was yesterday.
   In this country. they still have the houses, barns and chicken houses in one,

and the old bucket wells. The pumps that they have here have such great long handles and are so high in the air that a fellow must get an a step ladder to pump. I have seen a few ox teams and goats and even a dog team pulling milk carts. When they thresh here they either turn the threshing by hand or use two or more clubs and beat the wheat or straw. I hope to see you all soon.
Merry Christmas from

John Dittmer.


In Beautiful France

Sunday, December 15 '18.

Dear Father, Mother, Sisters.
   I received my two letters today, one from Edna and one from Ella. They were mailed at Shelby Nov. 5, so I decided that I would answer them right away.
   I have been well ever since I have been in France, and hope to remain well, for the remaining time. I noticed in the letter I received that you are all well and I will be glad to see all of you when I get back home, which I think will be in a short time.
   I am not with the M G. Co. 161 Inf. any more; was there only for three weeks, learning about the Browning gun and also the Colt 45 automatic pistol, which I sure did like. From there we went direct to the front where I was assigned to Co. D. 318 machine Gun Battalion, 81 Div. Was on the front.just long enough to know what war is, but did not get hurt. We were in the hills and along the Muese river between Verdun and Metz. We left there the evening of Nov. 11, when the armistice was signed and went to a rest camp and stayed there for some time. After leaving there we done a great deal of hiking to this place, a village called Villiotte. Yesterday we were on a 35 kilometer hike for a review. Well I'll bet that Richard likes the army life if he gets to see some of our cousins. I have not see a single one that I know since the middle of August. Bet you had a great time husking corn this fall, for Richard and I were not

there to help. Did you have the corn elevator on both places or not? How many thousand bushels did Emil husk this fall?    I always thought of writing a little sooner gut (sic) never got that far, but will write more promptly hereafter.
   I congratulate father and his birthday, also mother's Christmas birthday and a happy New Year and a merry Christmas to all. I'll write again in a few days. We are having easy times now, so I can write any time.

Your son and brother,   
Private Edward Stuhr.


Lt. Roy N. Inbody     
     Back From the War

   Lt. Roy Inbody, son of Mr. J. S. Inbody returned Sunday evening from Camp Upton. N. Y. where he was recently mustered from the service. He was a member of 42 Inf., one of the many regular units that failed to get across, although they were slated to go and had their overseas equipment when the Armistice was signed.
   He was in the service seventeen months, having graduated from Snelling in the fall of 1917. He was at Camp Dodge for several months, from there went to Newport News, where his regiment acted as guard and saw hundreds of thousands of their comrades embark for the other side.
   From Newport he went to Camp Deven, where he was gas officer for his regiment, of which experience he has much to relate. Shortly before the end of the war, his regiment was placed with one of the divisions for overseas duty said were sent to Camp Upton, N. Y.
   Here the peace arrangements caught him, and he says there has never was a more gloomy bunch than these regular soldiers when they found, they were not going to get a chance at Fritz.
   He has not decided what line of endeavor he will enter yet, but proposes to stick around home for awhile and get acquainted.

Return to DITTMER Scrapbook TOC

© 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Lois Fairfield, T&C Miller