The Prairie Island Bridge
According to Nancy Johnson of Merrick County - there were four wooden bridges existing by 1887; they were at Silver Creek, Clarks, Chapman and Prairie Island. The Prairie Island bridge was the last remaining wooden bridge, 825 feet long. Old timers remember when there was a turn-out in the center of the Prairie Island bridge. Some of the NEGenWeb Project county coordinators recall stopping there to watch the water flowing below. In 1958, the turn-out was removed during remodeling.
The bridge was destroyed by fire November 4, 1999. Residents will have many more miles to travel to get to the city. Below is a view of the burnt bridge and two buttons for selecting other views.
Above photos provided by Nancy & C. Richard Johnson, Gail Ferris.
4 Nov 1999 - News
article in the archives of the Grand
about the burning of the Prairie Island Bridge (must register to view).
Return to Merrick Photo
© 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller