Main Street looking North.
1924 - December of 1924 was the coldest December the state had known for the past 48 years. The mean temperature was 15.7 degrees.
1925 - The Krasne Store advertised men's Easter suits for $37.50; dress shirts, from 98¢ to $1.95; men's dress hats for $.95; and socks for 15¢ per pair. The Nance County Board of Supervisors voted to spend federal aid funds for graveling the east-west highway in the county. In a few years, it was observed, that Nance County would definitely be "out of the mud". J. R. Bitner was a delegate from the Fullerton American Legion Post to the Legion national convention in Omaha at which President Calvin Coolidge was speaker. President and Mrs. Coolidge arrived in Omaha by special train from Washington, D. C. There were 70,000 from outside Omaha in attendance.
1926 - Miss Jessie Kreidler filed as a candidate for county superintendent of schools after having taught for a number of years in town and rural schools. Each of the 69 School Districts planned to donate $20 to erect an educational building on the Nance County fairgrounds.
1927 - Residents of Fullerton were able to talk by telephone to all points in England, Scotland and Wales. The charge was $81 for the first three minutes, and $27 for each additional minute. A 24-hour advance notice for placing calls with the telephone company was advisable. A tractor, which could plow alone without human guidance, was demonstrated at the Nebraska State Fair. The spectacle in itself was awesome enough, but when the onlookers realized that here was an invention that would soon revolutionize farming, the immensity of the affair became apparent. Grocery stores and barber shops in Fullerton, which were open every evening of the week, made an agreement that the grocery stores would remain open only on Wednesday and Saturday evenings and barber shops would be open Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evening. A course in vocational agriculture was being offered in Fullerton high school, under the direction of R. E. Weir. The Fullerton Drum and Bugle Corps won a prize as best in the state at the Nebraska American Legion convention in Lincoln. Fullerton defeated groups from
Omaha, Lincoln, Beatrice, Columbus and Schuyler to take the prize. B. L. Anderson was drum major for the Fullerton group. Scoring was on appearance, music, rhythm, cadence, and percentage of enrollment.
Top row, L-R: B.L. Anderson, Bill Russell, Clyde Dean, Keith Trotter, Jake Bitner, O.S. Finch, Louis Mattea, H.A. Elmore, Hewett Anderson, Cowgill Adkison. Bottom row, L-R: Jack Mills, Harry Blackman, Leonard Fitch, Fred Kremer, Dr. Barstow, Leonard Hashburger, Mike Kearney, Gus Saville, Theo. Wozniak, Eddie Downing.
1928 - The Farmers State Bank was forced to close, and was being operated by the Guaranty Fund Commission. While the failure of the bank was an inconvenience to depositors, it didn't seem to create a great amount of excitement. Those in charge were optimistic in their hopes of giving depositors the quickest possibe (sic) settlement. The cornerstone for Fullerton's new $150,000 high school was laid in ceremonies held on July 8, 1928.
1929 - Fullerton lost two businesses in the same week. The Penney Company, established 45 years ago, closed its doors after conducting a going-out-of-business sale for several weeks. The store was one of Fullerton's oldest. The Golden Rule Company took over operation of the store. A night fire destroyed the Krasne Store building and contents. Several adjoining buildings were damaged by the blaze. Fire departments from Genoa, Belgrade and Central City assisted Fullerton firemen and townspeople in battling the blaze which at one time threatened a half-block area. Over 1,000 attended dedication ceremonies on April 1, 1929, of Fullerton's newly completed high school. Miss Chloe Baldridge, from the state superintendent's office, and guests from Hastings College, the University of Nebraska Teachers College and the Lincoln Journal were speakers. Supt. J. R. Bitner; W. H. Plourd, member of the board of education; and Jessie G. Kreidler, county superintendent of schools, also were speakers. The building was considered one of the most efficiently planned in the state. The Belgrade Bank closed its doors. A rumor was started that the bank was in serious financial trouble, as was the case with many Nebraska banks, causing an immediate run on the
Early Fullerton Depot.
bank by depositors.
1930 - The population count for the 1930 census was taken in Fullerton by Mrs. Harold P. Krause. The City showed a gain of 92 to 1,687, from the 1920 total of 1,595. Genoa and Fullerton businessmen met at Fullerton with representatives from the Niobrara Commercial Club which was sponsoring the building of a bridge across the Missouri River at Niobrara on the K-N-D highway, creating a direct north-south highway which passed through Fullerton. J. T. Russell was named a director from the Fullerton community on the Nebraska-Dakota Bridge Corporation. The proposed bridge would be a toll bridge and was expected to be paid for by toll charges in 12 years. The Fullerton Lions Club voted support for the project.
1931 - An open house to observe the 50th anniversary of the First National Bank was attended by 3,000. Two orchestras provided entertainment, refreshments were served and favors given. The bank began in 1881 as the Nance County Bank, changing to the First National Bank in 1883. More than 200 delegates and other interested persons attended a state convention of the Nebraska Christian Endeavor Union held in the Presbyterian Church here. Among program speakers were Samuel R. McKelvie, former governor of Nebraska; Judge G. F. Robinson, Nance County court judge; and Judge Bayard H. Paine, associate justice of the Nebraska Supreme Court. Among resolutions adopted was a declaration that the Union be in hearty accord with the movements for law observance, disarmament and world peace. The Fullerton American Legion Post announced sponsorship of a local drive for relief of more than 1,000 destitute families in the seven drouth and grasshopper stricken counties.
1932 - Employment was given to 164 unemployed persons in the county opening highways and county roads and clearing City streets of heavy snow. The Fullerton board of education reduced teacher and janitor salaries and reduced the number of each to affect a savings of $7,500. Supt. J. R. Bitner voluntarily took a $500 reduction in salary. Further reductions in expenditures were achieved
Barefoot Club of the 1930's.
through a reduction in the purchase of books and supplies. The reductions were necessitated due to a drop in tax collections because of hard times. More than 4,000 attended "Fullerton Day" at the second annual Nance County Homecoming picnic, sponsored by the Chautauque Park Board. J. H. Kemp, chairman for the local Red Cross Chapter, directed the distribution of 150 barrels of flour and over 2,000 yards of various fabrics to be sewn into clothing for the needy in the county. The Fullerton Welfare Society was organized by representatives of 21 local lodges, clubs and societies to distribute donations of clothing and money to needy in Fullerton.
1933 - Governor Bryant announced a State Conciliation Board to work with local Conciliation Boards in each county to arbitrate farm mortgage indebtedness problems. The Columbus-Genoa Loup Canal project was one of only five proposed power and irrigation projects that received state approval. The two-year project was expected to employ 1,000 persons presently unemployed. A $600,000 loan for the project was approved by the Federal Public Works Administration.
1934 - The Fullerton Lions Club honored veteran physician Dr. F. W. (Wad) Johnson as Fullerton's "First Citizen". A graduate of the Omaha Medical College, Dr. Johnson began practice in Fullerton with his brother in 1894. A CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) Camp was opened at the Chautauqua Park grounds here for 200 men who were employed on the Plum Creek soil erosion project in Nance County.
1935 - Weather extremes were noted. January had temperatures of 15 degrees below zero, and March brought a slight earthquake, abnormal 82-degree temperatures, followed by a severe dust storm, a swift temperature drop and snow. April and May had severe dust storms. Unusual weather occurred in June when temperatures dropped to 45 degrees, followed by heavy rains which caused some flooding. WPA funds were used to build an amphi-theatre on the new fairgrounds, located north of the Fullerton City Park. Farmers favored the continuance of the Corn-Hog Plan. Corn loans were at 45¢ a bushel. A fire, which started in the Lothrop
Bakery building, did much damage to the Bake Estate, the Diers Estate and the Fullerton National Bank buildings. A fire destroyed the Fullerton Elevator and Mill, south of town, as well as the nearby Standard Oil Company warehouse and three storage tanks.
1936 - The year began with raging blizzards and severe cold which continued into February. Traffic was nearly at a standstill. Even the trains failed to make their runs. Flooding in March washed out the roadbed near the depot. Drouth developed in late summer with heat waves of 116 degrees registered. Dust storms, along with the heat, caused illnesses. Grasshoppers, which menaced crops, were fought with a carload of poison supplied by the government. Drouth aid was sought. As late as November, dust storms scourged the community. WPA projects were approved for Fullerton, and 400 men were employed until the program was discontinued in December. The Old Age Assistance program was inaugurated. The more popular federal soil conservation program replaced the invalidated AAA. Farmers organized to secure electricity in rural areas. The Fullerton School observed its golden anniversary with programs, a picnic and a banquet. Fifty-four seniors received diplomas in commencement exercises at which Walter Pillsbury, a professor at the University of Michigan and a former student, was speaker. World War veterans received payment of baby bonds, and at least $27,000 was paid to local residents. Death came on May 11 to Dr. F. W. (Wad) Johnson, who had been named "Fullerton's First Citizen" by the Fullerton Lions Club. The County Fair highlight was an appearance by Governor Roy Cochran.
1937 - Blizzards and snow-blocked roads crippled traffic in the county, and on January 26 Fullerton was designated "the cold spot of the state". Dust storms in March halted traffic on highways. Although spring had near normal rainfall, record-breaking heat waves came in July and August and grasshoppers again were a menace and drouth aid was requested. Nance County experienced a mild epidemic of sleeping sickness among horses. The disease also affected a few residents, but all recovered. The January 30 birthday of President Franklin D. Roosevelt was commemorated with a Ball, with profits going to the March of Dimes. Since the observance fell on a Saturday, local stores, which normally remained open for business much later, closed at 10 p.m. so that store employees and owners could attend the Ball. By May, a federal regulation required all employees to have Social Security numbers, and in September all drivers were required to pass an examination to secure a driver license. A Community Club was organized in Fullerton to promote better trade relations. A Pancake Day was the first project sponsored by the club. A new business was opened in Fullerton in July when a refrigerator-locker system was opened. Farmers in the county took
much interest in a pasture improvement contest and a corn husking contest. The Nebraska State Highway Patrol made its first appearance in November. Residents could find entertainment at a local theatre where they not only viewed feature films, but also a cartoon and news reels.
1938 - It was another year of drouth in Nance county, with the grasshopper population so great an organized fight was waged. There were 367 farm grants issued in Nance county even though the property assessed was valued at $13,442,510. A contract for rural electricity was sought, and a natural gas line came to Fullerton. Irrigation prospects were initiated in the Cedar Valley. Citizens rejoiced because the Fullerton to Palmer Highway was graveled. The community was improved by the purchase of 3,000 trees by the City Council with the labor for planting to be provided by the WPA. In an effort to attract retail business, Fullerton merchants provided Wednesday evening entertainment and held a public celebration of the first airmail letter to arrive or be sent from here. Another first for the county was an open pheasant season. Fullerton's oldest Civil War veteran, Jefferson Meyers, 91, attended an old soldiers' reunion at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The Fullerton Business Women's Club held their annual Christmas party for children in the community, and 43 businesses extended Christmas greetings in the Journal.
1939 - Nearly spring-like weather was enjoyed by residents in January, but February brought extreme variables of temperatures and a traffic-stopping snow at the end of the month. March, also, was a month of extremes, and April had dust storms - a forerunner of the drouth which followed in late summer. Farmers again were eligible for drouth relief. Plans were made early to combat grasshopper damage, and farmers asked for and were granted a closed season on pheasants since it was determined that the pheasants, were instrumental in destroying the grasshoppers. Highway 14 south of Fullerton was straightened and surfaced with an oil mat. WPA projects included the graveling of a road from south of Fullerton to Genoa and the manufacture of concrete culverts. The sudden death of G. F. Robinson in April brought an end to his 30 years of service as county judge in Nance county. The annual county free-gate Fair was held in August, with the featured attraction being the White Horse troop from a ranch near Stuart. Nance county had 67 rural teachers. A Food Stamp plan for distribution of foodstuffs to relief clients was endorsed by Fullerton organizations. Another weather oddity occurred in December when on the 12th a "Black blizzard" plagued residents. A Christmas carnival was held with proceeds to go to charity and the usual program and Christmas treat distribution was held. Home lighting contests were popular at Christmas time.
1940 - January again brought snow and blocked roads, with 17
consecutive mornings when temperatures were below zero. Efforts were initiated in February to feed the pheasants and other birds due to the heavy snow and cold. Late summer brought crop-wilting drouth, with July having temperatures over 100 degrees on seven consecutive days. August was cool, but September and October had heat, wind and dust. A blizzard on November 11 cancelled (sic) Armistice Day activities, marooned travelers and broke power lines. Rural residents were elated when in February electric service was turned on in 275 rural homes in Nance and Boone counties. A county land use committee was formed to unite all the 14 groups working with agriculture in an effort to improve local farm conditions. Fullerton residents were treated to a rare astronomical event which occurs not more than once in a century when five planets - Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Saturn and Mars, hung like lanterns in the sky. The Loup river bridge was closed to vehicles in March when piling was damaged by floating ice and the bridge was declared unsafe for traffic until repairs could be made. Citizens provided transportation into town for those parked at the south approach to the bridge and walked across. Nance county was one of the first counties to participate in the distribution of surplus commodities by use of federal food stamps. Plans were initiated to secure a soil conservation district. The Business Women's Club took over the care of the City Park, and the Community Club sponsored free bingo games with merchandise prizes. A ruling made it compulsory for all grocery stores to remain closed on Sundays. The KND (Highway 14) south of Fullerton was newly surfaced with an asphalt mat coating. The free gate County Fair attracted a record attendance for a mystery wedding at which Miss Opal Stern and Leslie Boardman were married. The machinery for the nation's first peacetime draft was started on October 16. All men, between the ages of 21 and 35, were required to register. Registration numbers were assigned, and the first drawing was held on October 29. Alien registration was required, and 57 aliens were registered and finger-printed here. The county's population was set at 7,651, and since it was under 8,000 the office of Clerk of District Court was abolished.
1941 - The year began with the best subsoil moisture in a long time. February brought flooding which damaged the stockyards, railroad property, sale barn and football field in the north part of Fullerton. Flooding also occurred in June, September and October. A gravel pump in the Cedar river was swept away in October. Because of heavy poultry and young livestock losses, county-wide coyote hunts were organized. As many as 400 men participated. There were 70 rural schools in Nance county, and they were the locale for P.T.A.'s and Literary Societies which provided entertainment for many. Various projects were offered to the people of
Fullerton and surrounding areas some of these included a trade school for young men, with no expense to participants; a defense training class for men, from 17 to 25; a mattress project for low-income families which permitted them to make their own mattresses for $1; a supervised playground and recreational activities; a City horse shoe tournament; and a Community Day. A soil conservation district for land north of the Loup river was formed. Oil testing was tried in the western part of the county. An irrigation plan was assured and the new farm program was set to increase food for defense. Nance county had a draft quota every month during the year, and many activities were geared to the defense effort, including a drive for scrap aluminum. Many housewives sacrificed pots and pans. Old license plates had to be turned in before new ones would be issued. The Red Cross collected scrap paper, and rubber rationing was begun. Manufacturers of women's silk hose were closed down, so there was a big rush to buy extra hose, but limits of one or two pair per customer were imposed. The sale of defense bonds was organized. WPA projects were losing men to private jobs, but two projects, graveling and grading roads from Genoa to Belgrade and a project six miles north of Genoa were still in operation. There were 64 businesses which offered Christmas greeting advertisements in the Journal.
1942 - The new year was ushered in with severe cold and blizzards. the temperature was below zero the first eight days in the year. High winds and dust storms occurred in April, but rains came in May. Although a heat wave came in July, the corn crop in the county yielded the best since 1931. Because of the continuing wartime draft, farm labor was in short supply and a school holiday was declared in October so that students could assist with the corn harvest. Early in the year a county Defense Council was organized. On February 8, wartime conditions began when residents first experienced Daylight Savings Time. A new registration for men, between the ages of 20 and 44, was held in February. In April, those between 45 and 65 were required to register for the draft. Many people gave up card parties and club activities to sew and knit for the Red Cross war effort. A victory garden program was launched, and there were campaigns to sell war savings bonds. Sugar and coffee were rationed. There were drives to collect scrap metals. One such drive netted 504,657 pounds. By November, gasoline rationing was ordered, and on December 14 Fullerton experienced its first electrical "black out". The Chautauqua Park was sold to the Nebraska Baptist State Convention.
1943 - It was considered a drouth year. February was the driest on record. The spring was unusually cold, and the fall and winter were dry. A farm Mobilization Day was requested by
President Franklin D. Roosevelt on January 12. Rationing of 200 grocery items as well as gasoline, tires, fuel oil, incubators, brooder and coal-fired heating stoves was in effect. Names of those receiving tires were published, and a motorist could lose their gasoline ration book if apprehended for speeding. No gasoline was available for vacation trips. Campaigns to sell war bonds continued, and scrap metal, including tin cans, was collected for the defense effort. Men of draft age were requested to carry registration cards showing their draft status, and by fall the drafting of fathers was begun. The local creamery produced 213,000 lbs. of butter, most of which was shipped overseas. The war brought other changes. Citizens were urged to buy a supply of coal for winter use in June. Boys State sessions were cancelled (sic). There were no restrictions on the planting of wheat. There was a campaign to enlist women in the Army, and the railroads were under federal control. Polio was on the increase, and suicides were more numerous than normal.
1944 - Wartime regulations continued to govern many activities of residents. War loan campaigns were common, and rationing of food, gasoline, tires and fuel oil continued. An individual selling a used automobile was required to turn in their gasoline ration stamps. Scrap metal, tin cans and scrap paper drives were common. In one drive, the Fullerton School collected 19 tons of scrap paper. A Red Cross work room was opened, and many of the activities were on a volunteer basis. In one shipment, 1000 pair of bed socks, 525 hospital bedside bags and 144 kit bags were sent to servicemen. Women made history in Nance county, when for the first time, seven served on a District Court damage case. Victory gardens were common. Grasshopper poison was available free to farmers, and the county treated all roadsides for the pests. Because of the War, a teacher shortage was being experienced in Nance county. School children collected milk weed silk for use in the manufacture of life jackets. A hardship or emergency were the only criteria allowing anyone to build a new home. Some military personnel were released to assist with the corn harvest. Outdoor Christmas lighting and street decorating was prohibited due to the war emergency.
1945 - There was a continuation of rationing and the drafting of men into military service. A happier event, however, was the beginning of a return of men with discharges from military duty. VE Day was observed with joy. President Franklin D. Roosevelt died, and a memorial service was held in Fullerton to honor the nation's leader. The Fullerton high school basketball team played in the state tournament in Lincoln. Very few fans went due to the gasoline shortage.
1946 - With the continuing return of military personnel, the Fullerton Veterans of Foreign Wars Post and Auxiliary were
organized. A committee was organized to study the need for and the possibility of building a hospital. However, because of the scarcity of building materials following the war, it was decided to remodel the Hawthorne Nursing Home.
1947 - Gene Beaman and Robert Palmer purchased a residence on North Irving Street, and remodeled it for use as a funeral home. Polio was on the rampage. Due to many people becoming afflicted with the dreaded disease, donations were solicited to purchase an iron lung. There were numerous deaths from the disease.
1948 - The Fullerton Chamber of Commerce was reorganized with nearly 100 percent membership among business and professional people in the community. Fred Petersen was elected president. Harold Williams was vice-president; Dayle L. Rumsey, secretary; and Fred Ward, Treasurer. A $50,000 bond issue was passed, with the money to be used for remodeling a residence on Germand Street for use as a hospital. Polio continued to ravage the country in epidemic proportions.
1949 - Winter blizzards were termed as the worst on record. Deaths in Nebraska from the cold and snow were listed at 579, and livestock and property losses were estimated at $236,000,000. Residents in Fullerton and western Nance county were on edge when reports were made of sighting of what appeared to be an African lion or a black panther. There were numerous reports of sighting the animal and of its killing livestock, but no one was able to apprehend the beast. Dr. James C. Maly arrived to set up a medical practice in Fullerton.
1950 - The congregation of Mount Calvary Lutheran Church broke ground in June to build a new church at the corner of 4th and Irving Streets. In July, 10 inches of rain fell in four days, and considerable flooding resulted.
1951 - The Korean War was on, and by the end of that year a total of 492 Nebraskans were listed as war casualties. Of the 87 Nebraskans killed in action, one was from Nance county. Raymond Schweitz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Schweitz of Belgrade, was killed in action in Korea. Dr. B. W. Kramer, a graduate from Iowa University College of Veterinary Medicine, began a practice in Fullerton. Dr. John Hartsaw of Sigourney, Iowa, began a medical practice here. Gene Beaman and Robert Palmer built a new furniture store on Broadway. It was considered one of the largest and finest among small communities in central Nebraska.
1952 - Polio continued to be in the news as the disease again broke out in epidemic proportions. The Korean War also kept residents in a somber mood as 175 Nebraskans were reported killed, 594 wounded and 91 were listed as missing in action. A group of local men purchased an 11-acre tract of land, north of Fullerton, to
provide a landing strip for visiting aircraft and to hanger their private aircraft. The new facility was named C.A.M.P. Airport. Dr. A. Montero, a native of Central America, left Fullerton after practicing medicine here for two years.
1953 - Dr. John Hartsaw closed his medical practice which he had operated here for two years. The Korean War was again brought close to Fullerton residents when Cpl. Robert Kula, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Kula, was killed in action on April 4, 1953. In was a drouth year, and water diversion became an important topic. So important, in fact, that a bus load of interested individuals from Fullerton went to Lincoln to attend hearings on the topic.
1954 - Pfc. Clinton Medberry, son of Mrs. Elmer Miller of Fullerton, died in Korea when a military fire truck overturned. The Twin Loup Reclamation District was organized, and plans for an irrigation project west of Fullerton were made. New floodlights were installed for a new high school athletic field in the southwest part of Fullerton. Polio was again at epidemic proportions. A 4-H building was erected on the Nance County Fairgrounds.
1955 - Drouth conditions marked the weather pattern during much of the year, and residents in parts of the county took part in cloud-seeding activities in the hopes of ending the drouth. In late summer, Fullerton residents had to be restricted on their use of water due to the city's wells being unable to pump a sufficient amount of water. Irrigation drew much attention, and irrigators and the Public Power District were in conflict over water rights from the Loup river. The State Department of Roads began construction of a new route for Highway 14 through Fullerton on Johnson Street. The route formerly had been through the downtown business district. Fullerton paving indebtedness was paid off. Voters approved bonds for the construction of a new swimming pool to be located south of the City Park. Fullerton children received immunization for polio with the new Salk vaccine. Girls were banned from wearing jeans to classes at Fullerton high school. One of the largest crowds to assemble for a business meeting was on hand when over 700 patrons from 10 counties attended an annual meeting of the Farmers Co-op Creamery here. The Creamery had won first prize in a butter-making contest.
1956 - Drouth conditions continued to plague the county so much so that interest in cloud-seeding programs continued. Nance county was declared a drouth area and farmers received disaster payments. The Cedar river irrigation plan was again revived. In August, the dust was so bad that on one occasion the swimming pool had to be closed. Grasshoppers, again, were a threat to crops. A National Farmers Organization was formed in Nance county. Significant improvements were made in Fullerton when the North
Broadway boulevard was resurfaced and a contract was let for construction of a new additional water storage tank in the west part of town. As a part of the new Highway 14 route through Fullerton, new bridges were constructed over the Cedar river north of town and the Loup river south of town. Governor Victor Anderson attended a ribbon-cutting for the latter upon opening the bridge for traffic. The Nance County Sportsmen's Club was organized, and the county was stocked with pheasants. Much controversy developed when four rural school districts in Nance county requested a merger with the Palmer District. The mortgage for a 4-H building on the fairgrounds was burned. The Farmers Co-op Creamery again garnered first prize for manufacturing the best butter in the state.
1957 - The dry weather of the previous year caused many county farmers to sign up for the Soil Bank being offered by the federal government. By May, however, the rains came and by the end of the year there was above normal moisture so ideas for cloud-seeding were ended. Grasshoppers, again, were a crop menace. The Farmers Co-op Creamery was Fullerton's largest industry, employing 47 people. It had been in operation for 23 years. In spite of objections, a District Court decision upheld petitions filed by residents in four Nance county rural school districts to merge with the Palmer town district. The Union Pacific Railroad Company asked permission for three days per week rail service to towns on the Columbus to Spalding branch line through Fullerton. An organization was formed to oppose such curtailment. A radio-phone relay tower was being built west of Fullerton. A short wave police radio was installed in the sheriff's office. The Fullerton City Council rejected the sale of beer on Sundays. Children, again, were given free Salk vaccine shots for polio. An all-Nebraska unit of Navy recruits was being formed, and Fullerton twins, Delbert and Donald Steinwart, were among the first enlistees.
1958 - Fullerton's Farmer's Co-op Creamery was recognized as a leader in the state in converting whole milk to butter and dried buttermilk powder. During the year, over $2 million was paid to area dairymen for whole milk which was delivered to the Fullerton plant by a fleet of route trucks. In spite of efforts to keep daily service, rail service was reduced to three times a week. Highway 14, north of Fullerton, and Highway 22, east to Genoa, were being relocated, straightened and blacktopped. Fullerton's high school basketball team earned a trip to the state tournament and was defeated by Minden in a semifinal game in Class "B" competition. Fullerton's Legion and V.F.W. Posts and their Auxiliaries erected a Memorial Center at the Fullerton Cemetery. Jessie G. Kreidler was re-elected county superintendent of schools, although her name was not on the ballot and she had asked to be replaced. The Fullerton Lions Club
began a project of numbering houses and erecting wooden street markers here. A new neon sign on Highway 14 directed traffic to the downtown business district.
1959 - Early in the year, residents heard their first concert from the carillon bells which had been installed at First Presbyterian Church. The Fullerton School District gained enrollment through the merger of several rural districts. For the first time, rural pupils from those merged districts would be bused to the Fullerton School. Instead of a traditional "sneak day" members of the Fullerton high school senior class took an educational tour to Chicago. The swimming pool was a popular recreation area as shown by the over 15,000 admissions that season. Bingo games were legal locally. Governor Ralph Brooks visited Fullerton in March and that fall attended a Horse Show held in the Timber Creek area. St. Peter's Parochial School opened with an enrollment of over 100 pupils. Formal dedication ceremonies for the new school also were conducted in 1959. A new paved section of Highway 22, between Fullerton and Genoa, was opened. Northwestern Bell Telephone Company moved into a newly constructed building at the corner of 3rd and Fuller Streets.
1960 - It was one of the snowiest and coldest winters experienced in this section of the state in many years. The Fullerton Warriors earned a ticket to the Class "C" state basketball tournament, but lost in the semi-finals to Seward-Concordia, the team which went on to win the state Class "C" championship. Fullerton's town baseball team tied for first place in the Central Nebraska Baseball League. Work was begun on the construction of a new elevator by R. R. Christensen at a location north of Fullerton. The new business was operated as Fullerton Elevator Co. by Mr. Christensen. The Fullerton Lions Club installed intersection signs on Broadway as a community service project. There were 26 marriage licenses issued to couples during the year, and only four divorce cases were filed. E.E. Agnew, county resident since 1889, died at the age of 90. J. T. Russell, prominent banker, livestock raiser and farmer, died.
1961 - Fullerton's population, according to the 1960 census, was 1480. Robert C. Brower was appointed as a judge for the Nebraska Supreme Court. Keith Trotter, lifetime resident and county judge for 22 years, died. Sheriff Dave Johnson was shot and killed and his deputy, Aaron Hadfield, was wounded when the two officers went to the farm home of Theodore Heule, southeast of town, and attempted to pick up Mr. Heule on a mental health complaint. The two unarmed officers apparently entered the house where Heule clubbed them and fired a shotgun injuring Hadfield. The two officers took refuge in a barn. Sheriff Johnson was shot in the back as he attempted to run from the barn to his automobile to get his gun.
Hadfield escaped from a rear barn door to notify authorities. Heule drove away from the farm in his automobile and was killed later the same day in a gun battle with law officers near Ellsworth, Kansas. The Fullerton Warriors advanced to the finals in the state Class "C" basketball tournament, but lost in the championship game to Weeping Water. For the fourth consecutive year, the Farmers Co-op Creamery won first place in the state buttermaking contest and also in the process of manufacturing a special butter which was sold on the New York market to the Jewish people during the Passover season. Fullerton telephones were changed over to dial system by Northwestern Bell Telephone Company. Fred Petersen, prominent businessman, died suddenly. George R. Bowman, pioneer Fullerton businessman, died. Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Nathan opened a new coin operated self-service laundry. Plans were announced for the construction of a new post office and federal building. A test oil well was drilled on the Robert Pullen farm, located five miles south of Fullerton. A depth of 3,186 feet was reached, but no oil was found. Several owners donated dogs for training at the Lions Club Seeing Eye School. St. Peter's school received a first place state architect award plaque, one of only six given in statewide competitions.
1962 - James H. Kemp, attorney since 1898 and a widely known member of the Nebraska Bar, died at the age of 90. Mrs. George L. Sheaff, lifetime resident of Fullerton, died at the age of 80. Bryan J. Snyder, retired as postmaster after nearly 28 years of service. Lloyd W. DuRell was named acting postmaster. Charles P. Nixon, well-known barber, died. Dr. Lottie M. Anderson, longtime resident, died. A transaction was completed for the sale of an acreage, south of the Loup river, by Chester Cunningham to the Nance County Sportsmen's Club. Charles E. Peterson, longtime insurance agent, died. The First National Bank was extensively remodeled. The Fullerton Eagles Aerie observed its 50th anniversary. John Knipphals, pioneer resident, died at his farm home at the age of 87. Donald R. Treadway became associated with John M. Brower in the practice of law in Fullerton. Mrs. George R. Bowman and Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bowman announced the sale of Bowman's Supermarket to Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Shotkoski. An open house was held by the Fullerton National Bank following extensive remodeling. Mrs. William C. Mangels, pioneer resident, died at the age of 83. Mrs. George Palmer, resident of Nance County for 73 years, died at the age of 84. Sabin oral polio clinics were being held here.
1963 - St. Peter's Catholic Church observed its golden jubilee. Ground was broken for the construction of a new Masonic Temple at the corner of 3rd and Esther Streets. An Eagles Auxiliary was chartered for the local Eagles Lodge.
1964 - A historical marker for the Mormon Trail was installed
Return to TOCContinue to Next Page
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller