Search billions of records on


Horz. bar

Fullerton's First 100 Years (1879-1979)

Horz. bar
valley and a whole block in the southern part of town. He sold the east part for homes, but Arna resides in the original house on the west side of the block, which he remodeled - adding an upper story and two colonial type porches.
   Myrtle, Gertrude and Laura, daughters of Smith Agnew graduated from Fullerton High School and Kearney State College and were school teachers.
   Arna married Helen Laura Heidenreich on June, 18, 1946 at Oshkosh, Nebraska. To this union was born Arna Carl Peterson January 6, 1949 at Genoa, Nebraska and Edward Warren December 14, 1953 at Genoa.


   Thaddeus Elliot Weeks was born February 11, 1855 in Illinois. His parents were James Elliot Weeks and Cornelia (Pratt) Weeks. His early boyhood was spent in Illinois. But when he was 11 the family moved from Illinois to Iowa. Reportedly he drove a wagon through from Illinois, accompanied by his brothers Frank and Will.
   In 1868 his Mother died. Later that year his father remarried to a lady who also had sons. Friction developed, and as a result my Grandfather left home. He would have been about 14. It is my belief he went to live with his grandfather, George Washington Weeks, who also migrated from Illinois to Iowa and lived in that same area.
   During his young manhood days he liked to ride past a certain house and pretend he was drunk. The owner of the house was a stiff-backed old Englishman. He took Grandfather's actions as genuine. And decreed none of his children were to associate with that "wild Weeks boy". But either his warning came too late, or went unheeded, because his eldest daughter Lucy Louisa met, fell in love with, and married Thad Weeks. I am sure she was aided and abetted by her dearest girlhood chum, Isadora (Dora) Imes. . . a first cousin of Thad (and may have been raised by her grandparents too. At any rate there was a life-long attachment between Dora and Thad). Thad married his Lucy on February 19, 1877. . . the eve of his twenty-second birthday. Lucy (Harris) Weeks would have been 19.
   Their little girl was stillborn, and unnamed. On May 8, 1879 Lucy gave birth to a son. And died soon after. The son was named Lewis Irvin. He was raised by his grandparents, James and Sarah (Berry) Harris. For five years following Lucy's death, Thad also lived with his in-laws.
   About 1883 Thad Weeks left Iowa and came to Nebraska working on a road gang. The gang headquartered at David City. There he met, and later married, Miss Katherine McKee. And shortly thereafter moved on to the Fullerton area. (His second marriage took place in 1884). On July 1, 1885, a son was born to them named Harvey James. The family lived on a farm North of Fullerton. (In 1968 the house was still standing. but may not be now.) When Harvey was 12 there was a baby sister born named Cara. She died in childhood and is buried in the Main Cemetary (sic) in Belgrade.
   At a late date, unknown to me, Thad moved his family into Fullerton. Here he worked in a Jewelery (sic) store which burned down. His later years were spent in gardening and beautification of his home. He lived where Mr. and Mrs. C. F. Boatman do today. And there was a picture of him standing beside a flowering bush with a well-kept lawn around him.
   I am sure his last year was made happier by the fact that his oldest son, L. I. Weeks, moved his family from Iowa into the North Star area. The younger son, Harvey, lived in the Ericson area. So that both sons were not too far away.
   In February of 1924 he had seven teeth pulled at once. Then walked home in a cold drizzle. He became ill, and it ran into pneumonia. He died in May of that year. He is buried by his daughter at the Main Cemetary (sic) in Belgrade.
   He had two brothers who also lived in the Fullerton area. Frank Weeks came to Fullerton at a date unknown to me. He married Miss Lydia Riggins in Iowa and began housekeeping with Thad and Lucy in a little one-roomed house. (Which I have seen. ) Frank Weeks is the father of Mrs. Garnet (Weeks) Spackman, Mrs. Leta (Weeks) Cunningham of Friend, Mrs. Cornelia Reynolds of Hastings, and the late Mrs. Bula Hagman and Charles Weeks. He also had an

Horz. bar

older son, L. D. Weeks in Iowa. Also a daughter, Mrs. Ace Killion of that state. Frank Weeks is buried in Iowa.
   It is my contention that when Thad left Iowa he brought his youngest brother along to Nebraska with him. At any rate, Will Weeks came. He later married, Miss Abbie Miller, and lived his entire married life in the Palmer area. They had one son Clarence. He married Miss Bessie Rice of the Mount Zion neighborhood. Clarence had two children. Lucile who married Ted Heck, and William. All of them live in California now. Current addresses unknown to me.
   Thaddus E. Weeks is the grandfather of Mrs. Vivian McNeff, Mrs. Ray Milby, Mrs. Milford Swanson all of the North Star area, Mrs. Al Cunningham of Fullerton, and Gerald M. Weeks of Tucson, Arizona. These are the children of L. I. Weeks. Harvey J. Weeks had one daughter, now Mrs. John Bilstein of Columbus. He had three grandchildren.


   August Henke was born December 23,1862, in Oldenburg, Germany, and at the age of fifteen he came to America with his parents and resided in Wisconsin. In his early manhood the family moved to Colfax County, Nebraska. At the age of fifteen he helped haul lumber to build the St. John Lutheran Church at Shell Creek, a country church about ten miles northeast of Columbus. He married Gertrude Lenz on March 3, 1887.
   The Lenz family also came to America from Darnstadt, Germany, and also located in Wisconsin. Later some of the children moved to Colfax County. While living there Gertrude Lenz and August Henke met and were married. Shortly after their marriage they moved to a homestead near Chadron, Nebraska. While living there they became the parents of two daughters, Emma and Minnie. The Indian trouble of the eighties caused them to be dissatisfied. Many times when Mother was alone the Indinas (sic) passing through the yard would look through the windows and this frightened her. Due to this situation Mother and the two children took the train to Schuyler, Nebraska and stayed with Father's brother, John, until Father could make arrangements for someone to take the homestead. As soon as he did, he left and the family moved to a farm south of Leigh, Nebraska.
   In 1893 when Emma was five years old the dreadful disease of diptheria (sic) raged through the community. Mother, Emma and Minnie had it and Emma did not survive.
   Anna, Lydia and Otto were added to the family while they lived in that community. We lived six miles from a country church, the St. Paul Lutheran. There were no automobiles at that time. Can you feature going to church in a spring wagon, as it was called? It was similar to a wagon box with two seats and no cover over the top. Our parents sat on the front seat and in the winter time the back seat was removed and straw was placed on the floor and covered with a blanket. We children sat on the blanket and used a quilt for a laprobe to keep us warm.
   This was a German Community and all the church services were in German. Christmas Eve was always a highlight for the children who always took part in the program. Under the large Christmas tree were the children's treats--;a package containing candy, nuts and an apple.
   I especially remember one Christmas Eve when the children spoke pieces and those who were third, fourth and fifth graders sang in German, "O Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum," which was "O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree" in English. The parents had taught the children their pieces and songs at home and we sang that song that evening. We had no practice together, and when we finished we felt so proud, thinking we had done a wonderful job, but I can imagine it was very entertaining!
   We didn't mind driving that distance in the snow, nor the cold, nor coming home late to a cool house. We had only a coal heater and an old-time cookstove to keep the house warm.
   While living in the Liegh (sic) commuinty (sic), I saw the first automobile in that

Horz. bar

part of the country. We lived by the highway and it passed our place. It was quite a novelty. Topless and horseless it had two seats and the wheels were similar to wagon wheels. I do not recall as to rubber tires. I do know it did not travel the speed of present-day automobiles. I recall that Father went to Leigh that day, and coming home he saw the car coming and got out of the wagon and held the horses by the reins. He said he had a hard time holding them they were so frightened.
   The spring of 1906 we moved back to a farm near Shell Creek and lived there two years until father bought a farm about nine miles southwest of Fullerton. We moved there in the spring of 1908 and Fullerton has been our hometown since. During that time we have had many sad memories and many sweet memories that we cherish.
   In regard to my grandparents, I don't recall seeing Grandfather Henke. According to a record I found he passed away in March 1897 at the age of 72. I recall Grandmother Henke making her home with Uncle John Henke and staying part time with us. When she stayed with us, she always brought her spinning wheel and a sack full of wool. She would card the wool then spin it into yarn and knit mittens and stockings. She passed away in February 1916 at the age of
   I never saw Grandfather or Grandmother Lenz. They were in Wisconsin. I do not remember when Grandmother passed away but Grandfather passed away in 1900.
   District 11 was our home country school where we children finished our lower grade schooling. I was fortunate to attend Fullerton High School and graduated in 1914. I took Normal Training, so after high school graduation I taught in rural schools of Nance county. Miss Chloe Baldridge was rural School Superintendent during my teaching career.
   Mother passed away at the close of my junior year in high school in May 1913; Minnie left us in September of 1920; my brother, Otto passed away in August 1935 and Father in May of 1944.
   I married David T. Galloway in May of 1920 and we lived on farms after our marriage. We had three children, Leo A., Mildred Jean, and Betty Pearle. Leo Aldis and his wife Ruth received their Ph. D. degree at Texas Tech University in Lubbock and have been teaching at Missouri Western State College in St. Joseph Missouri. Leo retired this year but Ruth is still teaching English there. Mildred became a registered nurse and married Wayne Hilder of Central City. They are parents of three boys and two girls. Betty married a dentist, Walter A. Bennett Omaha and they have two daughters, a son and grandson. Betty is also a registered nurse. Due to a long illness, my husband was in a Veteran's Hospital for years and passed away in January 1966.
   My sister, Lydia, married Ralph Morrison and they had two boys. Norris and his wife live in Houston, Texas where they both teach school. They have one son and one daughter. Robert and his wife live in Tallahassee, Florida and have three daughters. Both Lydia and Ralph have passed away.
   I still recall my early school days, teachers and playmates. My first grade teacher was a man named Carl Cushman. This is a small world. In the twenties when we lived in the North Star community, Mr. Cushman, my former first grade teacher at Leigh, was teaching in the North Star school west of Fullerton.
   Last summer my daughter and son-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Hilder took me to the places we used to live around Shell Creek and Leigh. The country has changed. The two churches are still there, but Sunday School rooms and basements have been added. The furniture is still the same and the interiors are beautiful.
   The first rural school I attended was still there but closed. The others have been moved away. The homes where we lived were still there but remodeled, what an interesting trip!
   While living in Fullerton I became well acquainted with Mrs. Donald (Margaret) Leininger and I discovered that her father was a Lutheran minister who served the St. Paul Lutheran Church near Leigh, the one we used to attend. We had interesting visits about people we both knew and through her I located

Horz. bar

one of my classmates in Leigh when we toured the countryside last year. What a surprise and such an interesting afternoon!
   During my life I have spent 30 years in educational work, first as teacher
and then as high school librarian, then in the office of the superintendent Mr. J. Bitner and Mr. Wayne Nicholls. It was a pleasure to work with them. I also enjoyed the years working in the City Library and also the days I helped the County Superintendent, Miss Jessie Kreidler.


   My father and mother moved to Nance county from the state of Missouri. My mother was very ill and they thought the climate here might be better for her health. They traveled from Missouri in a covered wagon and camped in the yard of the S. H. McClure farm for a while until the house was built.
   I was born in 1890 on a farm three miles north of Fullerton. My mother died in November of that year and I was sent to live with my paternal grandmother at Hamburg, Iowa. My father stayed in Nance County and in 1900 was elected Nance County Treasurer. In a few years he was working in the Fullerton National Bank and served in different positions at different times.
   He, W. P. Hatten (    ) married again to the Belle Hatten that people of Fullerton remember. They had four children: Dean who married Lillian Blaufield, Fred who married a Cedar Rapids girl, Leta King, Richard who was married to a Denver girl. He had gone there to college and played on the basketball team. My half-sister, Louise, was killed in a car accident when returning from state meeting of Osteopaths. She was an osteopath and was serving as treasurer of the state group. I came back to Nebraska and lived with them.
   My father wanted me to go to college but I was a little backward about going away from home. I took a post-graduate course in high school in the normal training department. In November of 1910 Lucretia Connor who was our County Superintendent came to me and asked if I would finish teaching the Irish School near Belgrade. The teacher was getting married so I finished that school year and was rehired for the coming term but before I signed the contract for $45 a month, Mr. Diers who was in the Diers clothing store here in Fullerton came to me and asked if I would be the cashier and bookkeeper at his store. This interested me more so I didn't sign the school contract but went into the Diers store where I was cashier for about three years before I married Carl Hess, in 1915.
   He and his brother has the Hess Shoe Store here in Fullerton. His brother had married Amy Blaufield. They took the shoe store and we went up the street and were in the Hess Cash Store. This store was called the Adams Racket Store which was more or less a dime store but after a while we added dry good and groceries and ran that store for nine years.
   I shared my father's interest in the Fullerton Chautauqua. It was one of the largest in the state at that time.
   It usually ran a week or ten days. The longest one included three Sundays which they found was too long, people couldn't leave their homes and camp out for such long periods.
   My father was an officer for years and some of the other men of the community who were interested and active in helping with the Chautauqua were J. E. Kreidler, W. H. Orton, J. W. Tanner, Henry Kellogg, J. H. Kemp, Albert Thompson and others.
   Albert Thompson built a home against the bluff and had a storm cellar in the back of the bluff where they would go if we had extreme storms.
   The grounds were beautiful with natural oak trees, good grass in some spots but not everywhere. A large dining hall was built and the Secretary's house was built with natural logs that had been cut in the park. A few years later they had cabins built in different locations on the grounds.
   Many of the farm families didn't have the tents or cabins but who could

Horz. bar

came each day and brought their families. At chore time the ones who did the chores went home and came back for the evening performances.
   Sundays saw the largest attendance and some Sundays saw as many as 10,000 on the grounds. The railroad ran special trains on Sunday to Fullerton from both Columbus and Spalding. There were lots of tables where people could eat their picnic lunches and people came for 30 or 40 miles around.
   The churches has special services. They had Sunday School and Church each Sunday morning and one of the local ministers would take charge. We also had Billy Sunday and he drew a great crowd.
   We had concessions on the grounds. People from the store in town would have let's say an ice cream tent and a grocery store. The dining hall was quite large and served meals for about three hours in midday.


Wilbur's father was Sheridan Romaine Kellogg who was born on September 14, 1845 in Bureau county, Illinois. He was one of the twelve children born to Arial and Persis Kellogg. He grew up in Illinois served in the Civil War, married Irene Wetherell in 1869 and came to Nebraska in 1861. His brother, John Newton, had come to Nebraska to claim a land grant near Clarks and six months later Sheridan and his wife followed and settled on an adjoining grant. In 1887 the family moved from the farm into Clarks where Wilbur was born in 1893. The following year they moved to Central City and lived there until coming to Fullerton. They had six sons and two daughters. Sheridan was a maker and seller of brooms. In 1907 he became ill and died - buried at Fullerton.
   Wilbur's mother, Irene, was the daughter of Ralph and Clara (Meech) Wetherell who were married in Connecticut and moved in 1846 to Illinois. During the Civil War he fought under "Old Glory". They came from Illinois to Clarks, Nebraska where he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business. Clara died in 1879 and is buried at Clarks. After leaving Clarks Mr. Wetherell went to Fullerton and from there to the Soldier's Home at Grand Island where he died in 1915 - buried at Clarks.
   Alice was born to Levi Valentine and Anna Marie (Prante) Helms on August 1, 1893. Levi was one of twelve children born to Alfred and Louisa (Jones) Helms in Dearborn County, Indiana. Alfred moved to Indiana from Lincoln County, North Carolina. Levi was a teacher/farmer as were others of his family. On December 17, 1904 he was kicked by a horse and died a few hours later leaving his widow and four children: Francis, Edith, Samuel (died 1909) and Alice. Alice lived with her mother until grown and then held jobs as a milliner in North Bend, Syracuse and Belgrade, Nebraska.
   Anna Prante was the daughter of Ernist Henry Prante born in 1826 who came from the Alsace-Lorraine district of France and Mary Charlotte (Rahe) who was born in Hanover, Germany in 1829. At the age of sixteen she sailed from Hamburg to New Orleans and took passage on a boat up the Mississippi and Ohio rivers to Cincinatti (sic). The couple were married there on March 23, 1854 and moved to a farm near Friendship, Indiana. Ernist died in 1872 leaving Mary with ten children aged seventeen down. In 1879 she sold the farm and bought land at Peru, Nebraska. The family moved there. Anna married Levi at Peru on April 5, 1882.
   Wilbur and Alice were married June 28, 1916 at Central City, Nebraska. He worked in printing shops at Broken Bow, Mason City and at Canon City, Colorado. In November of 1918 they came back to Nebraska and moved to a farm in the Timber Creek area. In 1934 he was elected to serve as Nance County Clerk. The family moved to Fullerton and he remained as clerk until his retirement at the end of 1966. He died in February 1968 survived by his widow, two sons and four daughters.


   Fred Henry Badje was born November 12, 1874 son of Hans and Maria Badje, in Brunsbuttel, Germany. He came to the United States at the age of 15,

Horz. bar

coming first to Omaha, then to Burt county and on to Nance county to a farm in the Timber Creek area in 1917. He married Anna, daughter of John and Sofia Oltmanns who was born in Germany on March 5, 1882. Mr. Badje was a leader in church, farm organizations and served on the school board of District #7.
   There were six children: Fred Badje who married Eva Bennett, John Badje who married Annabel Main, Ann Badje, Peter Badje who married Cecile Crotcher, Marie, married to Herman Hellbusch and Freda Sofia born October 21, 1905 who married Werner Alvin Hellbusch, birthdate July 25, 1905. They had three sons. Twins, Robert Carrol and Richard Darrol, January 14, 1935 and Roger Ray January 2, 1942. Robert graduated from Midland College, Fremont, Nebraska served in the Army three years, married Alice Linquist and is now with Commercial National Bank and Trust Company in Grand Island. They have a son Darren and a daughter, Lisa. Richard married Donna Lou Steinwart and lives on a Timber Creek area farm. They had four daughters, Barbara, Mrs. Emil Zimmer, Dianna, Mrs. Mark Jackson, Debra, deceased and Laura.
   Roger served in the Navy three years. He married Janet Evers and they have five sons. Todd, Troy, Tom, Tim and Thad. They live on a farm in Timber Creek Township.


   George R. Bowman was born to Algetha Browder Bowman and Clinton R. Bowman on January 3, 1893 at Plattsmouth, Nebraska. He was the youngest of three children. George was a baby when the family moved to Albion, Nebraska. He attended school there and completed the eighth grade. He worked for several years for W. B. Martin in a grocery store. In 1915 he bought the store from Mr. Martin and it became "Bowman's Grocery".
   In 1917 he married Lillie Marie Hutchison on May 22nd in Albion. Lillie was the fifth child of Carlisle and Mary Lawson Hutchinson, born on February 26th 1897 in Albion, Nebraska.
   Her father, Carlisle Hutchinson was born in County Armangh, Ireland and came to this country when he was sixteen years of age. Her mother was brought to the USA from Sweden by her uncle who was a sailor. She arrived in New Jersey when she was sixteen years old and made her home with the Hoffman family who later moved to Albion, Nebraska. There she met and married Carlisle Hutchinson and raised a family of ten children on a farm in Boone County, Nebraska.
   Lillie attended and graduated from Albion high school in 1915. She taught country school for two years until she married George Bowman in 1917.
   George sold his store to enlist in the army in 1917 and was sent home with a heart irregularity. He and his bride moved to Fullerton, Nebraska where George took employment with E. B. Penney & Sons general store where he managed the grocery department for several years. Lillie worked part-time in the store also.
   In 1922 (?) George and Everett Black formed a partnership and bought out the Bailey Grocery store in Fullerton. In 1924 George bought out his partner and assumed full ownership of "Bowman's Grocery." Later George bought a small farm and started a dairy herd. He operated a dairy and his grocery store until 1950 at which time he sold out his dairy business.
   George was a charter member of the Fullerton Lions Club, the Tatters Club, he helped promote 4-H Calf Club and was active in many civic affairs. He was an elder and trustee of the Presbyterian Church. Lillie helped keep the books at the store and dairy as well as raise their only son, Robert.
   George Robert Bowman (known as "Bob" or Robert) was born on January 3, 1923 in Fullerton, Nebraska. He attended high school in Fullerton and graduated in 1940. He attended Hastings College. In February 1943, he enlisted in the Army. In November 1943 he married Margaret Pauley in Hastings.
   He attended O.C.S. in Columbus, Georgia (Ft. Benning) and graduated a 2nd Lt. in the Infantry. He served in the medical corp the air corp and the infantry and after spending a year in Japan, was discharged a 1st Lt. in 1946.
   He was in partnership with his father in the Bowman Grocery Store until

Horz. bar

his father's death in 1961. He sold the store to Leonard Shotkoski. He became a franchise dealer for Westland Homes Corp, of Hastings, Nebraska until his death on December 28th, 1979.
   Surviving are his wife, Margaret, a son Charles of Hastings, two daughters, Barbara Hein of Atlanta, Georgia, Jayne Pickrel of Fullerton, his mother, Mrs. Lillie Bowman and four grandsons.


   Harold LeRoy Dodds, July 1, 1921 was born in Nance county. His parents were Elmer Wesley and Edith Emma Shoening Dodds. He attended Nance County rural schools and Cedar Rapids High School. He served in the U.S. Army from September 1942 to November 1945. On June 3, 1947 he married Wilma Ellen Schweitz, born March 12, 1927, daughter of Herman Rudolf and Martha Hellbusch Schweitz.
   Harold has a sister, Irene Dodds Schlemmer, Omaha, Nebraska and a brother Orville Dodds of Stromsburg. Wilma has a sister Edna Gallo of Kansas City, Missouri, brothers, Ernest Schweitz of Oakland, Nebraska and Theo. Schweitz of Fullerton. One brother Raymond Schweitz, died in the service of his country on May 23,1951 in Korea.
   Harold and Wilma live on a farm in Timber Creek Township. They have 3 sons. Larry Dean Dodds, April 30, 1948 married Linda Carol Herr. They have three sons, Luke, Ben and Mark. They are farmers in Timber Creek Township. Randy Lee Dodds, March 21, 1952 married Colleen Trofolz. They have a son William and live on a farm in Timber Creek Township. Carroll Ray Dodds, April 19, 1955 married Debra Fitzgerald. They have a daughter, Shannon and live near Brewster, Nebraska.


   Fredrick August Hoffman was born in Breinstein, Germany, April 25, 1875 and came to the United States settling in Butler county. He married Marie Elise SauerMann, who was born in Oltenfliesh, Germany July 7, 1881. They lived in Butler county until coming to Nance county to live on a farm in Timber Creek Township until they retired and moved to Belgrade.
      There were three children:
      Olga Elise Hoffman born March 26, 1907
      Karl Oscar Hoffman born February 18,1909
      Ella Mae Hoffman born May 17, 1923
      Olga married Theodore Hellbusch. They lived on a farm in the Timber Creek Area. There were five children Bette, Donna, Karl, Marion, and Dan. She died in 1977.
      Karl married Hermina Helen Hellbusch on January 24, 1940 and lived on a farm in Timber Creek Township until retiring and moving to Belgrade in 1978. The had two children Leah and Leonard. Leah married Galen Malander and has three children. Leonard died in 1964.
      Ella Mae married The Rev. John Ackermann who was a pastor at Peace Lutheran Church. She is now a widow living in West Branch, Iowa.


   William Baldridge, the ancestor of the American branch of this family, was born in the Province of Ulster, Ireland, in the year 1689. On the 16th of June, 1714, in the Parish of St. Andrews, in the county of Tyron, Ireland he was married by James Ancar, Vicar of the Established Church of England, to Jannette Holmes, who was baptized in the Parish of St. Giles, Ireland, County Down, by Alfred Mooney, Vicar, July 9, 1694. She was the daughter of James Holmes, who married Margaret Jennings and through them the Baldridges in America claim a portion of the "celebrated" Jennings estate.
   James Holmes died in 1727, and in his will duly proven in the Register's office in Belfast Third Division Court, on June 14, 1727, wherein he devised to

Horz. bar

Jeanette Baldridge, his daughter, the sum of two hundred thousand pounds, from the funds in trust for her and her heirs, and also all dividends in the South Sea Company and her mother's legacy in full without deduction.
   William Baldridge and Janette and family came to America in the ship Queen Margaret about the year 1745 and landed in Philadelphia. Their family consisted of three sons and three daughters some of whom were married and had families. At that time Little Brittain and adjoining townships, in Lancaster county, were settled almost entirely by Scotch Irish Presbyterians, and it is quite probable among the number were some relatives or neighbors at the home they left in Ireland. William Baldridge and his family settled in Little Brittain township where he took up several hundred acres of land near the center of the township, on which he resided until his death in the year 17 . Janette died a few years before her husband.
   The oldest son John Baldridge married Rebecca, daughter of        Clark, in Coleraine, Londonderry, Ireland, before they came to America. In 1749 he purchased several hundred acres of land in Bart, now Eden township. At that time he was living upon a farm in Martick township, now Providence, which he purchased a year or two before his other purchase. He died in Martick township in July, 1766 leaving a widow Rebecca and several children.
   Rebecca married again to Aaron Boggs and they removed to Rutherford county, North Carolina. All but two of her children went with them. A son John Baldridge married Jane M. Janes, September 30, 1834 in Burke county, North Carolina. She was born December 7, 1818 in Rutherford county, North Carolina. Rebecca died at the remarkable age of 110.
   During the winter of 1834 John and Jane emigrated westward and cast in their lot with the pioneer settlers of Jefferson county, Illinois, locating on Walnut Hill Prairie where they remained until March 11, 1847 when they moved to a farm on Section 18, Grand Prairie Township.
   Twelve children were born to Mr. and Mrs Baldridge. A daughter Rebecca J. married David P. McCullough, a wealthy farmer residing near Irvington, Illinois, on March 27, 1856. She passed away July 22, 1910 and he died November 3, 1910. To this union were born 8 children, two of whom died in infancy. The others was Ada, Mary Alice, S. A., T. E., O. J. and Minnie Jane. Minnie Jane was born January 13, 1862 at Irvington, Washington county, Illinois, and died August 20, 1947 at Wolbach, Nebraska. She married John Wesley Jackson, November 17, 1881 in Centralia, Illinois. John Wesley was born November 17, 1855 in Centralia and died March 3, 1941 in Wolbach Nebraska. To this union were born 9 children, Eula Pearl, September 4, 1882, David Cleveland January 4, 1885, Robert Benson January 11, 1887, Drew Leftridge October 1, 1889, Infant son February 13, 1892, Fred Sterling July 8, 1893, Harrie July 29, 1895, Alice January 15, 1897 and Carrie Rebecca April 20, 1904.
   John Wesley Jackson married Minnie Jane McCullough November 17, 1881 at Irvington, Illinois.
   Three children, Bula Pearl, D. Cleve and Robert were born at Irvington, The family migrated to Nebraska in 1887 where six more children were born.
   They were Drew, Erela, Fred, Harrie Alice and Carrie.
   They first settled in Prairie Creek township near Fullerton where they experienced the great blizzard in March of 1888. The family was fortunate in all being near home when the storm struck. During the three days of the storm John stretched binder twine to the barn so he would not get lost feeding his small amount of livestock.
   The family later moved to Howard county then returned to Nance county. At one time they lived a short while in a sod house about 6 miles east of Wolbach and Indians were frequently seen.
   About 1908 John and Minnie purchased their own farm in the Olive district of South Branch township in northwest Nance county.
   John died March 3, 1941 and Minnie died August 29, 1947. They are buried in the Fullerton cemetery. Two daughters are still living. Mrs. Ivan (Alice) Bierly lives at Junction City, Oregon. She has seven children located in Texas,

Horz. bar

Florida, California and Oregon. Mrs. John (Carrie) Caudle lives in Los Angeles, California and they have a son Howard who lives at El Toro, California. A daughter of Drew, Mrs. Lee (Dorothy) Morris lives at Anaheim, California. Robert had two daughters, Mrs. Maurice (Elva) Cantral and her husband live on a farm near Palmer. Mrs. Melvin (Elma) Nesbitt and her husband live in Fullerton. The son of D. Cleve, Darwyn Jackson, and his wife live in Omaha, Nebraska.
   Mrs. Elma (Melvin) Nesbitt has three children. Janet, Mrs. Alvin Wemhoff lives on the family farm at Belgrade, Nebraska. Has 2 sons. Roger married to Deborah Shotkoski lives in Grand Island. Karyn, Mrs. Kenneth Wetovick lives on a farm near Fullerton, Nebraska.
   Marilyn, daughter of Elva (Mrs. Maurice Cantral) is married to Lowell Foland and lives on a farm near Belgrade, Nebraska. Has three children.
   The Baldridges and the Barbers arrived on the Nebraska scene not too long after Fullerton became an official town. It was the fall of 1885 when Willis and his parents and sisters came from Centralia, Illinois, to make a home in the hills west of Fullerton. Pearle Barber and her father, and her brother Nelson came a year or two later. Grandpa William Barber had moved to a farm east of Fullerton, and not too long afterwards his son William and family arrived in a covered wagon from Kansas.
   Land promotion in Illinois for the newly opened former Indian reservation must have been very good, for there was a fairly large group of settlers, including several Baldridges - brothers and cousins - plus Copples, Beals and others, who migrated to Nance county.
   Letters from Grandmother Baldridge to her parents back home tell what it was like to be a pioneer in Nebraska in the mid-80's. "I think this is too fine a country to leave, but I don't know yet whether it will hold us more than a year or not. I would be willing to stay. The rest would if the diptheria (sic) don't prove to be a regular visitor here. But if it comes here every winter, I don't think I would like to stay and risk it. It is at St. Paul, about 40 miles up the Loup so bad that they had to stop the schools. I believe the scarlet fever goes with it. We keep a safidity around the kid's necks all the time." Another excerpt says, "The boys are all husking corn but Joe (Grandfather Baldridge) had to go out to Jim's farm to take care of his thrashed oats. Chas. (Copple, probably) is huskin for 2 1/2 cents per bu."
   On January 10, 1886, she writes, "It was pretty cool, 26 degrees below zero. We don't have much frost on the walls. A little in the kitchen. I think them that sits by the cook stove is the ones that have to sweep frost down off the walls. It is caused by the tea kettle steaming all the time."
   Willis and his family didn't stay very long on the farm, moving to town where his father had a general store in the building which currently houses the Kansas Nebraska Natural Gas Company.
   Meanwhile the Barbers had added two sons, Morris and Allen. "Ole Doc Barber" was a well-known figure in the community attending the sick and injured at any time of day or night. The old barn behind the house (now there is a high school parking lot where the house once stood) had a team of horses and a buggy ready to go at a moment's notice.
   Pearle graduated with the class of 1900, but Willis left high school when he was fifteen and along with several other local youths, joined the army to go fight the Spanish in the Philippines. Nelson Barber was one of the "boys" as well as Lewis Kremer, Loren Taylor, and the Storches. This hitch in the army furnished Willis with tales of adventures the rest of his life.
   When he returned from the wars, he was "taken" by the black-haired Pearle and even tried to court her on Sunday evening after church. "If you can't take me to church, you can't take me home," Pearle said. Apparently the challenge was met, for in 1901 these two 18-year-olds were married, and a long happy married life followed.
   Nearly everyone who remembers them associated Willis and Pearle with two things: the bakery and music making. As for the former, the good whole wheat bread, 10-cents a dozen doughnuts, three for a quarter (dozen, that is) fruit cookies were in a class by themselves. But all that stopped in 1944 when

Horz. bar

the scarcity of sugar and other important baking ingredients became discouraging, and the bakery was closed for good.
   Musically, Willis and Pearle sang together and separately in many of the local singing groups. As a duet they furnished comfort to many bereaved families with their singing of "In the Garden," and other old hymns at services of church and at home.
   Margaret and Joe arrived in due time, and when they were old enough to hold their horns, the four Baldridges became a family band. Band practice was a regular nightly event in those days, but when a good radio program came on at 8:30, it was time to put up the instruments and gather around the old Atwater Kent and listen to Jack Benny, The Lux Theater or the Railroad Hour. Programs printed around that decade of the 30's will find the "Baldridge Ensemble" playing for all kinds of Banquets, church services, and celebrations whereever some background music was needed.
   After Joe and Margaret graduated from high school, they both attended Hastings College where Margaret prepared to become a teacher and Joe studied chemistry. Joe graduated from college and soon joined the Navy where he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant J. G. Mararget graduated and started out her teaching career at Sargent, Nebraska at the annual salary of $845. In 1940 she moved to Auburn, Nebraska, where she taught for the next seven years.
   Joe married a young lady from Minden, Nebraska, whom he had met at Hastings College. Her name was Mary West, and eventually they became the parents of Jim, Kathleen, Peggy, Jeannie, and Nancy. Joe had taught school in Minnesota for one year, but decided a career in education wasn't for him. Therefore he went back to college (Kansas University) earned his Masters degree in chemistry, and shortly moved to Mentor, Ohio, where he joined a large chemical company, Diamond Alkaki, based in Cleveland. Joe and his family have lived in Ohio since then. He retired in 1978 and now spends his time on any one of many different hobbies. However, antique cars take most of his leisure. It will surprise no one who remembers the early Baldridge cars to learn that a 1929 Essex and a 1951 Hudson as two of the models that take up a lot of his time.
   Margaret earned her Masters just before going to Omaha to teach. For twenty-four years she taught at Technical High School where Anna McClelland was her department chairman for some of that time.
   Margaret began her thirty-second year in Omaha in the fall of 1979. She teaches at Burke High School which is at 120 Street and Dodge. Anyone entering Omaha from the west will go by there.
   Margaret spends her weekends and summers in Fullerton where she still lives in the old family home where the Baldridges have lived since 1921. When she retires from teaching, she will come back to Fullerton to enjoy good rural living once again. In all probabilities, Margaret will continue growing roses and other flowers in her yard in the summers, and in the winters she will sit by the fire and say a prayer of thanks that she isn't having to negotiate the hills of Omaha to drive to school on icy winter mornings.


   Jacob Philip Whitney was born in a sod house on the Whitney ranch near Fullerton, son of John W. and Louisa G. Whitney, 10 April 1886. He spent his early years on the ranch and attended country school and graduated from Fullerton High School. He married Mary Splichal 5 June 1912 in Fullerton, Nebraska and shortly after made his home approximately l/2 mile south of the Whitney ranch. Mary Splichal was born on a farm near Clarkson, Nebraska and came to Fullerton to clerk in Diers merchandise store prior to her marriage. She was born 20 July 1885, daughter of Frank Splichal and Katherine (Kominek) Splichal of Clarkson, Nebraska. She died 27 June 1971. Buried in Fullerton cemetery. "Jake", as he was known, spent a couple of years in the oil fields of Texas prior to his marriage. His years on the farm were spent in raising livestock and crops and establishing a sizeable dairy herd. During his time on the farm he served on the school board, and served as a fieldman for the Agriculture Adjustment Administration. He was active in starting the Fullerton Cooperative

Horz. bar

Photograph button
Frederic, Joseph, Leslie, Jake, Mary and Mary Whitney.

Creamery and Oil Station. He retired from farming in 1946 and moved to Fullerton where he took an active part in church and community activities. For a time he was water commissioner of Fullerton, and served on the Nance County Selective Service Board. Mary Whitney was a member of the Presbyterian Church, Ladies' Home Circle and the E-Z Club. Born to Jake and Mary were three sons and one daughter - Joesph William, Leslie Philip, Frederic Raymond and Mary Emma.
   Joseph William Whitney was born 25 March 1913 in Nance county and died 17 December 1971 in Aurora, Nebraska. Burial in Fullerton cemetery. He married Margaret Kathryn Tonning 9 January 1937 at Fullerton. Nebraska. She was born 21 May 1912 in Newman Grove, Nebraska and died 28 October 1968 in Fullerton, Nebraska. Buried in Fullerton cemetery. She was a daughter of Andrew Tonning and Ran Dena Alletha (Strand) Tonning. Margaret loved to sing, and sang in the United Methodist Church choir for years. Joe married Eda Gilson after the death of his first wife. He spent most of his adult life in the Farm Management business in Central City, Nebraska. Joe and Margaret had two daughters and one son - Mrs. Bruce (Diana Jo) Neujahr of Moraga, California, Mrs. Glade (Carolyn Sue) Snoberger of Aurora, Nebraska and William James of Topeka, Kansas. Bruce and Diana Neujahr have a son Michael Bruce, and a daughter Kathryn Elizabeth. Glade and Carolyn Snoberger's children are two daughters, Pamela Jo and Ann Lynn, and a son Matthew Clark. Children of William Whitney are Karen Eileen and Zed Aaron.
   Leslie Philip Whitney was born 8 May 1914 in Nance county, Nebraska. He married Jean Marjorie Smith 22 October 1939 in Nance county Nebraska. She was born 12 March 1915 at Riverton, Iowa, a daughter of Ross Curtis Smith and Mary Dell (Throne) Smith. Leslie and Jean live in Grandview, Missouri. Les was a Personnel Officer for the government. They have two sons - Ross Phillip of Raytown, Missouri married to Barbara Ann Brown, and Dennis LeRoy of Grandview, Missouri. Ross and Barbara Whitney have two children - a daughter Dana Lynn and a son Stephen Philip.
   Frederic Raymond Whitney was born 28 June 1918 in Nance county, Nebraska. He attended the same rural school that his father attended, the Fullerton High School, and the University of Nebraska. He taught Vocational Agriculture in Rushville, Nebraska where he met Helen Irene Forney. Helen was born 22 July, 1922 in Alliance, Nebraska, a daughter of Hubert Harvey Forney and Ruth Augusta (Orr) Forney. Fred and Helen were married 16 June 1941 in

Horz. bar

Fullerton, Nebraska. Fred served in the U.S. Naval Air Force during World War II. Following the war they moved to the family farm in West Newman Township, Nance County, Nebraska Fred is engaged in crop and livestock production. He is a member of the United Methodist Church, has served on the local school board, the co-op board and the 4-H Council. Fred and Helen have three daughters - Mrs. Jerrold (Janice Irene) Hibbs of Smithfield, Nebraska Mrs. Terry (Marilyn Kay) Grotelueschen of Longmont, Colorado, and Mrs. Dale (Linda Marie) Lesiak of Fullerton, Nebraska. Jerrold and Janice Hibbs have 3 sons - Bradley Arnold, Bryan James and Patrick Jacob. Terry and Marilyn Grotelueschen have three daughters - Robin Michele, Renae Sue, and Renell Lea, and a son Jason Paul. Dale and Linda Lesiak have children Christopher James, Jennifer Sue, and Nicholas John. They live on a farm about seven miles southwest of Fullerton in Nance county. Dale was born 5 September 1951 in Central City, Nebraska to Louis Lesiak and Bernice (Jaswick) Lesiak. He attended rural school, Fullerton High School and Central Technical Community College at Hastings, Nebraska. On 20 November 1970 he married Linda Marie Whitney, who was born in Fullerton, Nebraska 20 February 1952. She attended rural school, Fullerton High School and University of Nebraska. In March, 1972 they moved to their present farm home. They are members of St. Peter's Catholic Church, and Dale is a member of the local school board.
   Mary Emma Whitney was born 29 November 1920 in Nance county Nebraska and married Edmund Henry (Bill) Wynne 10 November 1941 at Blair Nebraska. He was born 15 July 1920 in Schuyler, Nebraska, son of Edmund Henry Wynne and Helen Elizabeth (Adkisson) Wynne. He is retired from the U.S. Navy. They live near Reinholds, Pennsylvania and have two children - David Cowgill of Chula Vista, California married to Georgine Patricia Antolick and Mrs. John (Mary Helen) Cuper of Williamsburg, Virginia. David and Georgine Wynne have two children - Patricia Jane and Michael David. Mary Helen and John Cuper have a son Jonathan Wynne.


   Frank and Gertrude Schneider Euse moved from Scribner, Nebraska to Fullerton, Nebraska in 1907. They purchased the farm 3 1/2 miles Southeast of Fullerton, and raised 7 children:
   Leo (Martha Pelster) Broadwater, Nebraska
      Hermine (Jay Laughrey), Chadron, Nebraska Colleen, Karen, Diane, Penney
      Dr. Vincent (Cheryl), Carson City, Nebraska Jenny, Jay, Clinton
      Peggy (Deceased 1958)
   Francis (Charles Bingell) (Francis, deceased 1974, buried Standwood, WA.)
      Rebecca (Alfred Marti) Stanwood, Washington Christopher, Joseph
      Ted (Nancy) Stanwood, Washington Rene and Amy
      Judy (Ronald Kessler) Marysville, Washington  2 children
   Edwin (Loretta Stachura, deceased) (Eva Scow) Shelby, Nebraska
      Marilyn (Keith Houdershedt) Shelby, Nebraska  Roger, Cristine, Roy
      Norman (Karen Smith) Silver Creek, Nebraska  Bryan, Angela, Troy, Thad, Cori
   Edna (Ed Starostka) Seattle, Washington
      Harold - San Francisco, California
      David (Joy) Seattle Washington  Richard, Roberta, Michael, Susan
      Timothy - (Donna) Seattle, Washington  Thomas, Paul, Jon
      Jacqueline - (Sean Corr) Fairbanks, Alaska  Hilary and Andrew
   Raymond (deceased 1969, buried Seattle, Washington) Bette Seattle, Washington
      Cathy (William Brady) Seattle, Washington  Peter
      Mary (Chris Druro) Seattle, Washington
   Franklin (Evelyn) live in Seattle, Washington
      Gary Seattle, Washington  Zachary and Benjamin
      Carol - Fairbanks. Alaska

Horz. bar

      Diane - Seattle, Washington
   Helen (Fred Wolfe, deceased) (Bob Clark, deceased) Seattle, Washington
      Dick (Helen) Bothell, Washington  Frederic and Oliver
      Annette (John) Sumner, Washington  John and Carolyn
      Celeste - Seattle, Washington
   Frank Euse arrived in America from Germany 1888 and worked in the steel mills in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, moved West, worked for the railroad and helped to install the track to the Black Hills. He farmed in Dodge county, Nebraska and then settled in Fullerton to later retire in Seattle, Washington. He sold his farm to Joe Lesiak about 1943. He is buried in Seattle, Washington. Gertrude Euse came to America in 1890, lived near Scribner, Nebraska moved to Omaha, worked in the Smith Overall factory; married Frank and moved to Fullerton, Nebraska. She died in 1931 and is buried in Fullerton, Nebraska.


   Arlineus, the patriarch of the Browers that were to live in Nance county, traveled with his son, Martin Irenius, in 1880 from Pontiac, Illinois to view and purchase 28 quarters of the Pawnee lands offered for sale by the federal government. Arlineus and his wife Mary moved permanently to Fullerton to make their home in 1884, following by two years the move of son Martin and daughter Annie and her husband Joseph Wright McClelland. At the age of 73 Arlineus started a real estate business, buying, improving and selling farm land. He died in 1895 at the age of 84 from injuries sustained from a fall from a horse he was breaking. Mary died in 1892.
   Arlineus, son of Abram Brower and Phylothia Webster, was born in Herkimer County, New York, 1811. He moved at age 20, in 1831 to Ashtabula county, Ohio where he owned land and a number of businesses. He married Sally Turner in 1835 with children Imogene, Sylvester, Sarah and Abel K. and, upon her death, married in 1845 Mary Marther (b 1826) with children Martin and Annie. The latter three children lived in Nance county. In 1862 following a fire that burned all his businesses to the ground, Arlineus moved his family to a farm near Pontiac, Illinois where he farmed until the winter of 1875. He then moved to town for nine years of retirement before starting business anew in Nebraska in 1884.
Photograph button
Arlineus Brower 1811-1895


Horz. bar

Prior pageReturn to TOCspacerContinue to Next PageNext page

Return to Nance Co.

© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller