Search billions of records on


Horz. bar

Fullerton's First 100 Years (1879-1979)

Horz. bar


   John Keller was born January 30, 1874 at Denison, Iowa and passed away April 12, 1948 at Fullerton, Nebraska. He was one of eight children of Mr. and Mrs. David Keller. The others were Margaret, later Mrs. Richard Kinney, David Jr., Tracy, Richard, Albert, Maggie, Emma and Gracie.
   On April 12, 1903, John married Amanda Downs of Grand, Iowa. She was born January 4, 1874 and passed away March 7, 1940 at Fullerton. The young couple came to the Nance county community to farm and lived here most of their lives. They resided at the south end of the main street leading through Fullerton and many people will recall their trips through Keller's yard, down the hill through the pasture to the Loup river to fish or swim.
   Along with their farming operations they operated a Dairy at first milking by hand and later adding modern milking equipment.
   They had two sons, Clifford Wilbur born February 24, 1904 and Keith Kenneth born March 12, 1909 and passed away July 31, 1972. Clifford married Teresa Stittle of Ravenna, Nebraska on August 4, 1945 and live at Fullerton. Teresa is a registered Nurse. Keith married Maude E. Cooper on January 18, 1936. Maude still lives in Fullerton. To this union one son was born. John Jeffrey born on December 4, 1947. He is married to Donna Jean Plumbtree. They have two children, Jeffrey Keith and Beverly Jean and live at Niobrara, Nebraska.


   Walter W. Fitzgerald, his wife Anna V. (Shiffer) Fitzgerald and their year old daughter, Faye, arrived in Fullerton, Nebraska in 1895, coming here from Nodaway, Iowa. Their first home in Fullerton was what is now 105 Irving Street. Later they purchased a home on the corner of Fifth and Esther Streets in Fullerton, where the family home is still maintained. Three children were born to them there: Ruth L., John F., and Verdilla J. They later moved to a farm near Horse Creek in western Nance county where they resided for several years moving from there to the Sickle Ranch just south of Fullerton. While living there a daughter Ida I. was born to them. Moving back to their home in Fullerton, Mr. Fitzgerald was an assistant to Veterinarian Charles Brown for several years and also fed cattle for the Hord Company.
   In 1906 the family moved to Belgrade, Nebraska where Mr. Fitzgerald was employed by the Hord Company, returning to Fullerton in 1910 where he operated the Hord Company elevator. After the elevator was closed Mr. Fitzgerald served as sexton at the Fullerton Cemetery until his retirement in 1939. He passed away in Fullerton in 1941 at the age of 83. Mrs. Fitzgerald continued to make her home in the family home in Fullerton until her death in 1962 at the age of 88.
   Faye M. Fitzgerald retired from the Northwestern Bell Telephone Co. in Fullerton in 1959 after 45 years of service, 44 of them as chief operator for the company. She now lives in the family home.
   Ruth L. Fitzgerald was also employed by N. W. Bell Telephone Co. and married a fellow employee, William C. Zieg. They were the parents of one daughter, Donna. All three are now deceased.
   John F. Fitzgerald was employed by a local men's wear store and later operated his own store in Central City, Nebraska. He is now deceased and his widow, the former Ruth Clayton, lives in Omaha, Nebraska. They have three sons, Darel of Montgomery, Alabama, Donald who operates Fitzgeralds Mid-City Motor in Fullerton, and William of Exeter, Nebraska; and a daughter Patsy Rae now deceased, who was married to Milton Johnson of Omaha.
   Verdilla J. Fitzgerald (Mrs. Everett M. Black) was employed at the Post Office m Fullerton, the office of the Nance County Clerk of the District Court and as Assistant Cashier of the First National Bank of Fullerton. She now lives in Fullerton where she operates the Black Sales System. She has two step-children James Black of Pierce, Nebraska and Patricia Black Walgreen RN of Osceola Nebraska; and a son, Navy LCDR Theodore Black of Fort Collins, Colorado.

Horz. bar

   Ida I. Fitzgerald, a graduate of Kearney State College, taught in the rural schools of Nance county and in City Schools in Madrid, Nebraska, Fullerton, Nebraska and Coronado, California. She retired in 1968 after 47 years in the teaching profession and now lives in Fullerton, Nebraska.
   Lucille B. Fitzgerald was employed by the N. W. Bell Telephone Co. in their offices in Fullerton, Nebraska, Loup City, Nebraska and Central City, Nebraska and is now retired and lives in Fullerton.
   Louise A. Fitzgerald (Mrs. Frank C. Dudek) was employed as a dental assistant in Fullerton. She and her husband are the parents of four children: Cheryl Dudik of Omaha, Nebraska, Charlene Hoye RN of North Platte, Nebraska, Nancy Brown of Grand Island, Nebraska and John Dudek of Grand Island, Nebraska.
   Robert V. Fitzgerald attended the University of Nebraska and George Washington University. He was employed by the Federal Government in Washington, D. C. and later by the Arapahoe Drilling Co. of Denver, Colorado and is now the accountant for the Heynen Lumber Co., Inc. in Fullerton where he lives in the original family home.

RUSH JACOB HOY 1855-1941

   Rush Jacob Hoy was born November 13, 1855, son of Ruben and Elizabeth Hoy at Orwigsburg, Pennslyvania (sic) and passed away at his home in Fullerton on October 11, 1941 at the age of 85 years.
Photograph button
Rush Jacob Hoy
   In 1868 he came to Warrenville, Illinois with his parents, where he grew to manhood. In 1878 he was united in marriage to Mary Jane Tart. In 1889 Mr. and Mrs. Hoy came to Nance county with their three children. Ten children were born to them. They made their home on a farm north of Fullerton until 1917 when they moved into Fullerton. In 1930 Mrs. Hoy died.
   In 1892 Mr. Hoy began to follow the auctioneer's profession and during the next 31 years became very prominent. From 1918 to 1920 he was associated with C. A. Miller in the real estate and insurance business. His children were:
   Arthur 1879-1910
      Married Ivy Wolf, 1907 (deceased) Two children: Maybelle
      (deceased) 2 daughters Maud.
   Carlton 1882-1883
   Ella 1884-1902
   Frank 1886-1950 at Fullerton - single.
   Louella 1887-1952 at Fullerton

Horz. bar

      Married Ralph Barber in 1908 (deceased) 1977. Two children:
      Clarence M. (Bus) single Fullerton, Roy E. (deceased) 1977 Elkhorn,
      Nebraska. Three children. Roger, Rodney. Married Iola Graves
      Second Marriage: Timothy.
   Rush C. 1889-1913 from farm accident
   Clarence W. 1891-1974 at Fullerton
      Married Blanche Maybon in 1971 (deceased) Two children: Donald
      Fullerton - single, Kenneth, Fullerton - single.
   Lester 1893-1934 died from injuries of a farm accident.
      Married Clara Ellis in 1916, lives at Portland, Oregon. Two children:
      Fern, Mrs. Walter Larson, Genoa Nebraska. One daughter Jane.
      Mary Lee Mrs. Irvine Callison, Portland Oregon. Two children.
   Florence 1895-1927
      Married Frank Pebley 1921- no children.
   Dexter J. 1897-1966
      Married Hazel Jennings 1921. Three children: Alvin D. North Bend,
      Nebraska . Five Children Freda Belle, Mrs. Max Swanson, Belgrade,
      Nebraska. One daughter: Nancy. Billy W. U.S. Navy Career. Married
      Shirley Louy, Milton, Florida.


   It is to the credit of records faithfully kept that this brief history possible. The Wozniak family originally came from Poland.
   Frank and Frances Wozniak owned a prosperous farm on an Island in the Platte near Osceola. As their family grew they decided they should be closer to church and school. Frank then moved his family to Duncan where he ran a General Store. He soon learned that he was a better farmer than businessman and it was the year 1896 that found Nance County District 23 with six Wozniak boys enrolled. Julius was 17, Joseph was 15, John 13, Ladislaus 9, Max 8 and Theo 6. They lived on the farm now owned by Louis Lesiak. In 1901 the farm was sold to William Wetovick and the Wozniaks moved to the Northwest quarter of section 21. Here Frank died at age 85, Francis at age 75 and Joseph at age 51. Pelegia became Sr. Theresa of the sisters of St. Francis. She died in Grand Island. Julius bought a farm adjoining his parents farm where he died in 1940. In 1913
Photograph button
The Frank Wozniak Family.


Horz. bar

he married Josephine Nowak. They had one daughter Eleanora. Joseph never married. John married Nancy Spear. They lived in Idaho and had one son Harold. Ladislaus married Ethel Kahl. They had eight children: Lawrence, Frances, Dorothy, Margaret, Raymond, George, Charlotte and Helen. Lad died in 1962. Max married Marie Raferty. They were the parents of one son, Edward and three daughters, Loretta, Mary Lou and Rose Ann. Max died in 1959. Theo married Monica Lesiak. They were parents of two sons and two daughters, Daniel, Evelyn, Richard and Shirley. Theo died in 1976. William never married. He died in 1960.
   Of the Wozniaks remaining in Nance county there are Ethel Wozniak, her son Lawrence and daughters Fran Wozny and Margaret Koziol; and Eleanora Lesiak daughter of Julius and Josie Wozniak.


   LaVerne Faaborg was born May 16, 1915, on a farm near Boelus, in Howard County, Nebraska. He was the only child of Anton and Helga Jacobsen Faaborg. He attended school at Nysted, District 17, and graduated from Danneborg High School in 1934. He then went to Moler Barber College in Omaha where he attended classes from September 1934 to May 1935. He came to Fullerton in May 1935, on his 20th birthday to work as an apprentice barber for Ernest Lawson. After Lawson closed his barber shop that year, Faaborg finished his apprenticeship at Charles Nixon's barber shop and received his master barber license. In 1937 he opened his own barber shop in a building now where the J & L Tavern is located. He married Adele Luschei of Fullerton at the Fullerton United Methodist Church on July 3, 1938. In June 1942 he left for Army service in World War II. He served with the Ninth General Hospital Unit from New York City in Australia, in New Guinea, the Dutch East Indies and the Philippine Islands until his discharged in December 1945. The couple lived in Grand Island until June 1947 when they returned to Fullerton where he purchased a barber shop from Ted Sample. Faaborg operated a bowling alley from 1950 to 1953. He then opened a barber shop at 414 West Third Street which is still in operation in Fullerton's Centennial Year 1979.
   His fraternal and civic memberships include Cedar River Masonic Lodge No. 89 at Fullerton, Fred Philbrick American Legion Post No. 151; V.F.W. Post No. 5759; life member Nance County Historcial Society; Fullerton Area Chamber of Commerce and the Fullerton United Methodist Church. He was organizer and first president of The Fullerton Sportsmen's Club which evolved to Nance County Sportsman's Club.
   His two children are Loren LaVerne Faaborg, born November 22,1947, at Grand Island and Gail LaVerne Faaborg, born May 14, 1950, at Grand Island. Both graduated from Fullerton High School and from the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. Gail graduated from the College of Nursing with a bachelor of science degree in nursing in 1973 and is a professional registered nurse. Loren received his doctor of medicine degree in 1975, completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the University Hospital in Omaha in 1978. At present he is chief of obstetrical and gynecological services at Dover Air Force Base Hospital at Dover, Delaware, where he will complete his tour of duty in October 1980. He will then join Ernest Bussinger in the practice of obstetrics and gynecology at Scottsbluff in western Nebraska. Loren married Mary Jo Wilkins of Fremont at Fremont on June 6, 1971 They have one son, Jeffrey Anton, born May 29, 1976, at Omaha. Gail was married on July 1, 1977, at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to John Charles Rogers, M D., of Pawnee City. John was a classmate of Loren's at UNMC and also graduated from there in 1975. Mary Jo graduated from the UNMC College of Nursing in 1974 with a bachelor of Science degree in nursing and also is a professional registered nurse. Gail and John live in Rochester, Minnesota, where John completes a three-year residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Mayo Clinic in October 1980. They plan to move back to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where John will practice his specializations in medicine. At the present time Gail is employed as a public health nurse at Kasson, Dodge County, Minnesota.

Horz. bar


   Adele Luschei was born October 8, 1918, in Platte County, Nebraska. Her parents were Bruno and Hulda Mohrmann Luschei. Mrs. Luschei died in May 1922. Adele came to Fullerton in 1925 with her father, her brother Armin and two sisters, LaVerna and Elaine. Adele graduated from Fullerton High School in 1936 and was employed at the Nance County Journal office from 1936-1942. After her husband left for overseas Army service in 1943 she was employed at the Grand Island ordnance plant until the end of World War II in 1945. After moving back to Fullerton in 1947, was employed in the Kansas-Nebraska Natural Gas Company office at Fullerton from 1952 to 1959. In May 1961 she began her present employment at the Nance County Journal office.
   She is a member of the Fullerton United Methodist Church where she has served as church treasurer since October 1968; is a permanent member of the Fred Philbrick American Legion Auxiliary Unit No. 151; member of the Fullerton V.F.W. Post Auxiliary No 5759, Fullerton Eastern Star Chapter No. 191 and Eastern Star Past Matrons Club; and the Three H Extension Club. She also is a life member of the Nance County Historical Society and present secretary of its board of directors.
   Her children are Loren and Gail Faaborg as listed on the preceding page, with their spouses. Her father died December 25, 1972, and her brother Armin died January 4, 1976. The Fasborgs' first child, a son, Gary LaVerne Faaborg died at birth October 18, 1946.


   Mrs. Will Downing and Elizabeth Downing represent a family well-known in Fullerton for the past ninety-six years. The late Will Downing told of his father's decision to move from Illinois to Nebraska:
Photograph button
   From left to right: Mrs. Martha Dean Downing (Mrs. James F.) 1853-1935, William F. Downing 1877-1972, James Franklin Downing 1845-1922, Mrs. Margaret Nunn Downing (Mrs. William F.) 1890-.

   "My father and his two brothers came out to Lincoln in 1881. The first night at the rooming house they met a trail guide who had been leading settlers through a cut-off of the Oregon Trail which passed through Nance county. He told them what fine opportunities there were up here and how good the land was. Nance county had been a Pawnee Indian Reservation. The Indians had been moved to Oklahoma about 1877, the land surveyed, and settlers were coming in. So they came on up to Genoa where the railroad ended. By livery they came on to Fullerton where they got plats of the near townships and picked out several farms. Then they had to go to the land office at Grand Island to file. Several were already taken but they got three farms up the Loup Valley west of town and one north two miles which my family got (Joe Plebanek place - 1979). We


Horz. bar

lived in town about two years while getting the farm broken out and a house built." Will Downing began school in Fullerton, finished grade school at District 18, graduated from Fullerton High School in 1895 and attended the University of Nebraska several sessions.
   Mrs. Will Downing (Margaret) first came to Fullerton in 1917 as a teacher of third grade. Some of these students graduated in 1925, the regular class in 1926. She had grown up at Winnebago where her parents, John and Nellie Nunn, operated the trading post at the Indian Agency. She was attending Bellevue Presbyterian College when her father died of typhoid fever and she had to leave college to return home and help with the care of the younger children. She also attended summer school three years at Nebraska Wesleyan and taught at Walthill and Winnebago as well as at Fullerton.
   Will and Margaret Downing were married in 1920 and moved to the farm three miles north of Fullerton which was their home for the next 49 years (present owner Lawrence Gdowski). Four children were born: Lloyd who is a psychiatrist at San Angelo, Texas, Elizabeth of Fullerton who has retired from Northwestern Bell Telephone Company, Margaret (Mrs. Kenneth Pierson) of Neligh, and Elaine (Mrs. Verlin Francis) of Wayne. Mr. and Mrs. Downing were always active in the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Downing served as elder for many years and Mrs. Downing was one of the first women to serve as elder. Also Mrs. Downing was twice delegate to the National Presbytery at Purdue, Indiana, in 1950 and again in 1960. Mr. Downing was active also in District 37 and township affairs, was justice of the peace for twenty years, and took part in political activities (a lifelong Democrat). Mrs. Downing was a promoter of extension work and was county chairman of 4-H several years during the 1930's.
   Mr. Downing in telling of the 1930's said: "One drouth followed another for eight years and we went to the bottom of what we had and borrowed all we could. When on the very verge of losing our farm Mom was asked to work in the ASC office. She made good there and has been working both at home and outside ever since and saved our home."
   The job Mrs. Downing started with was AAA Fieldwoman for the county, which she held from January 1940 to October 1944. The job consisted of going to public schools and any organization to which she was invited to give talks on the philosophy of the farm program It also necessitated trips to neighboring counties for speeches. After that she spent a year in the county agent's office coordinating club work - getting paid for the same type work she had done in the 30's as a volunteer. Mrs. Downing entered the Welfare office as a caseworker November 1945 and had been county director of welfare 16 years when she retired in 1965 at the age of 75. After retirement she continued to help with various volunteer programs such as March of Dimes, Heart Association, Easter Seals, county museum, etc., and to hold various offices in the church.
   Mr. and Mrs. Downing moved to Fullerton in 1969 and celebrated their golden anniversary in 1970. Mr. Downing died in 1972 at the age of 94. Mrs. Downing, 89 in 1979, during the past year visited her sister in Arkansas, spent Christmas holiday with her son's family in Texas, and continues to present programs for the organizations to which she belongs, helps at the museum, and holds open house for her many friends and relatives. She has shared her home at 509 Fuller, Fullerton, with her daughter Elizabeth since Elizabeth's retirement in 1976.


   Mr. and Mrs. Frank F. Ksiazek were residents of Nance County almost all of their lives. Mrs. Ksiazek (Anna R. Koziol), daughter of John and Kathryn Koziol, was born July 24, 1891 south of Genoa in the Krakow area. Mr. Ksiazek was born February 22, 1884, near Tarnov, Poland, the son of Joseph and Agnes Ksiazek, and came to the Genoa area in 1897, with his 15-year-old brother. They survived a terrifying storm on the ocean voyage to Galveston, Texas, from where they came to be with their two older brothers and their father who had come to Nebraska in 1893. At that time, there were some pioneers in the community, including their father's sister, who were still living in

Horz. bar

Photograph button
Mr. and Mrs. Frank F. Ksiazek

dugouts, which was a great surprise to him for they had heard such glowing reports of the good life in the New World. In 1898 his mother and two sisters came, so the family was finally reunited.
   However, like many others at that time, each had to work away from home usually for farmers who had established themselves in the area longer. Frank, at the age of 13, was hired to herd 250 head of cattle with the help of a pony and dog, for $7 a month, his wages increasing later to $15 a month on another assignment. The older brothers were getting around $18, and of course their board and room. At first the family lived in Genoa, then they purchased a farm two miles west of the Krakow church. Plans were for one son to farm with the father, and the others worked away from home and gave their money to their parents to help pay for and operate the new home place. In 1905, he moved with his parents to a farm five miles east of Elba. Later he and his brother, Stanley, farmed in Litchfield where he resided at the time of his marriage.
   On May 5, 1909, Frank Ksiazek and Anna Koziol were married in Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church at Krakow. They farmed in Litchfield until the following year when they purchased a farm four miles north of Genoa. They had the difficult task of moving in the cold and snowy winter which took several days since the cattle had to be driven.
   In March 1916, they moved to a farm southeast of Fullerton in School District 23. They immediately embarked on a building program which was not completed until several years later when all old major buildings were replaced. They began with a new barn, and also a garage to house their newly-purchased first car, a Ford. The next project was to remodel the home, but sometime after the builders jacked up the house, as a first step in the process, one corner fell into the cellar. It was thought to be a routine and safe procedure, so the children had been left in the house napping. Fortunately, they were not hurt during this disaster. Plans were quickly changed, the old house dismantled and a completely new house built. During this building time, their new garage became the kitchen where the usual good farm meals were cooked for the family and the carpenters as well since that was the custom. A never used portion of the new barn, which was later to become the "milking parlor" was the family bedroom until early winter when the home was completed. It was said many times that that was one winter when no one had colds. Apparently everyone had become very hardy under the circumstances.
   Both were active in the church, school and community. Mr. Ksiazek for a time wrote articles and reported news of the Polish community in the county to the Gwiazda Zachodu (Western Star) a Polish/English newspaper in Omaha. Mrs. Ksiazek took part in the Extension Club, and later when they transferred their membership from the Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Krakow to St. Peter's in Fullerton, she helped organize the St. Ann's Altar Society, becoming its first President and serving for several years. What started as a hobby of baking and

Horz. bar

decorating birthday, anniversary and wedding cakes for family and neighbors, later became a small business on the farm when she baked not only for those near but received orders for wedding cakes from more than 100 miles away. Their five children: Mrs. Frances Prososki, Mrs. Cecelia NcNallan, Edward Ksiazek, Mrs. Veronica Cuba, and also daughter Carolyn who died in 1915 at the age of 2. This loss was a very sad one for them, as it was for others of the day when there seemingly was no remedy for diptheria (sic).
   After 49 years on the West Newman Township farm, many very good and some very bad during the drought years, they decided to retire. They built a new all electric home in the town of Fullerton, where they moved in February 1965. They continued to enjoy "farming" in a smaller scale now, by growing their own vegetables and many flowers. Mr. Ksiazek died on December 30,1973 followed by Mrs. Ksiazek fourteen months later on February 28, 1975. They were survived by 4 children, 10 grand children and 10 great grand children. Interment was in the Fullerton Catholic Cemetery.
   Son Edward married Natalie Uzendoski in 1941 and they have 4 children Carolyn, Harold, Tom and Dick. They moved south of Belgrade in 1946 after returning from military service in World War II, and started farming. In 1951 when Jesse Moon retired as Belgrade Rural Mail carrier, Edward was appointed and served the route until 1974 when Belgrade and Fullerton route # 2 were consolidated he retired and continued farming. At the present time the couple still live on the same farm but are retired.
   Natalie is a registered nurse and worked for many years at the Fullerton Memorial Hospital and was the director of nurses for Fullerton Manor when it was operated by Drs. Dalton and Bass.


   In the year of 1888 there were 10 families that came from Fisher and Champaign counties in Illinois. They all came together. There were four McCays, Oris, Orlando, Jack and Palace; John Day, Ben Bateman, Al Trotter, Dan Hinton, Pusey family and my Grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Mack Fitzgerald. My Grandfather was born in Ireland. There were six in my grandfather's family, all girls of which my mother was the oldest. She lacked nine months of being 100 years old, when she died. They lived 5 miles north of Central City. The first year my mother said the kids were never in town.
   In 1890 my Grandparents moved on the Wiltze place that Larry Cunningham now owns. My mother went to Cedar Valley School - I went there - my son Paul went there and all of Paul's kids went there. The building will be 100 years old in four years, and has operated continuously since.
   The farm was in our family 61 years, always leased and never a written lease. In my mother's family there were six girls - she was the oldest (Mae Workman), Nell Crawford, Stella Jennings, Ethel Pepper Edith Minor and Ina Sidder. There are only two direct decendants (sic) of the original family left now, Van Trotter who lives in the home at Fullerton and Lenna McCay who lives in California.
   My mother married Wm. Smith in 1892. He was from Winterset, Iowa. When I was a baby they went to Winterset, Iowa in a covered wagon and lost me out at one point. I was always glad they went back and got me. I had two brothers, Faye and Forest. After my dad left my mother, she later married Bob Workman. I have a half sister in California, Geraldine, married to Tom Hughes. He is a railroader. My brothers are both dead.
   I married Nellie Castle in 1916 - soon be 64 years. We lost our first baby, but since had Paul (He married Fern Sonderup) Virginia (she married Wilton Miller). She is Director of the Nursing School at West Nebraska Hospital in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Dale is married to Georgia Omer. Dale graduated from Juliard School of Music in New York City and now has a conservatory of music in Grand Island. His wife works at the Vet Hospital in Grand Island. Dick is married to Carolyn Miller, a rancher's daughter who works at the Post Office and they live here on the ranch. We have 11 grandchildren and 4 great -grandchildren.

Horz. bar

We started ranching on a ranch west of Anselmo which I bought in 1941 and in 1946 I bought the ranch west of Dunning which we now live on. Paul remained on the farm at Fullerton. We will both be 86 years old this year. We were active in church and Masonic and Eastern Star. Nellie was Past Worthy Matron and has her 50-year pin. I was Clerk of Session of Presbyterian Church in Fullerton and an Elder for 35 years, and am Past Master of Masonic Lodge and have my 50 year pin. I am a 32nd degree Mason and all my boys and I belong to the Shrine. I sang in the church choir for 40 years. I also was Worthy Patron of Eastern Star for 15 consecutive years, and when I left I had initiated half of the membership at that time.


   Nellie Castle Smith's father was Marshall Castle (born September 18, 1870) in Mercer County, Illinois. He moved with his parents to Seward, Nebraska in 1883. He later moved to a farm in Nance County, ten miles northeast of Palmer, where he married Elizabeth Kiel on October 4, 1893. Elizabeth's parents had come to America from Germany some time in the late 1840's, but were married in America and settled on a farm near Honesdale, Pennsylvania where their eight children were born. Elizabeth was the youngest and was born October 29, 1865.
   Their daughter, Nellie, tells an interesting story about the first meeting of Marshall and Elizabeth, who must have been a lively, fun loving girl. She came to Nebraska to visit her brother, Fred, who had moved to Greeley County, in Nebraska but she made so much fun of his sandhill farm that he decided to leave and move to Missouri. They started out, taking all their worldy possessions, but on their way, near the town of Palmer, they met a man on horseback. Elizabeth apparently wanting some fun, thought to herself, "Well I'll never see you again, so I will just wink at you", which she did. However, she was mistaken about never seeing him again, as her brother obtained work with a farmer in that vicinity and remained there, so it ended, as with all good stories, with Elizabeth marrying the man at whom she had winked. Marshall died February 29, 1948, but Elizabeth survived him several years, living until 1965, when she passed away on January 19, at the age of 99 years. Marshall and Elizabeth had six children:
   1.  Nellie born August 24, 1894, married Cecil Smith in 1916, lived on farm near Fullerton and now
       on a ranch at Dunning Nebraska. They had five children:
       a.  Son died at birth December 19, 1917
       b.  Paul Eugene Smith born June 14, 1919, married Fern Sonderup September 16, 1951;
            five children Calvin, Elwyn, Paul Ed, Donn and Carroll
       c.  Virginia Smith married Wilton Miller June 27, 1944. Two chldren (sic), Cathy and David.
       d.  Dale Smith married Georgia Omer June 22, 1947; three children, Tim, Cindy and Corey.
       e.  Richard Castle Smith married Carolyn Miller August 26, 1956; two children, Laurie and Cindy.
   2.  William Lemuel born December 14, 1896 died September 18, 1897
   3.  Elmer born September 15, 1898 married Georgia Campbell, lived at
        Bennett, Colorado, they have five children:
       a.  Wanda married Joe Davis have 3 children
       b.  Marvin has six children
       c.  Shirley married Clark Beck, lives in Strasburg, Colorado. 2 children
       d.  Philip married and has one son
       e.  Patricia married, has two children, lives in Bennett, Colorado.
   4.  Vernon Isedore born August 30, 1900 died May 1934
   5.  Theron Theodore born June 3, 1903 married Bertha Bowder, lives at Roundup, Montana;
        they have two children:
        a.  Dorothy married George Gracey

Horz. bar

       b.  Donna Bells married and has one son
   6.  Ulah born September 23, 1907


   I was born at Upland, Franklin County, Nebraska December 29, 1910. We moved to Elwood, Nebraska in 1923. I graduated from Elwood high 1928. I attended the University of Nebraska for six years and earned a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree in 1936. I bought the office of the late Dr. L.C. Barstow in July and took over September 1, 1936. Dr. Barstow had purchased an office in Sidney, Nebraska. The office at the time was on the second floor of the present Legion building. I moved to the office where Wayne Nicholls is the next spring. I moved to the office where Dr. Maly is in 1940 and was there until going into service.
   Janet Clark, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. G. A. Clark of Elwood, Nebraska and I were married in Elwood, Nebraska May 1, 1938. Janet was employed by the Tri-County in the Hastings office at the time.
   Richard L Seberg was born January 14, 1940. He attended school in Fullerton and was graduated from H.S. in 1957. He attended the University of Nebraska seven years and received a Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree in 1964. He and Sheila Howard, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. C. D. Howard of Blair, Nebraska were married in Blair June 9, 1961. He was in the regular Navy three years, 1 year at the Oakland, California Naval Hospital and two years in San Diego before resigning to go into private practice. They now live in New Port Beach, California. They have three children Kevin born September 5, 1963, Gretchen born March 30, 1966 and Suzanne born May 13, 1969.
   Diane (Seberg) Myers was born November 16, 1944 at Elwood, Nebraska. She attended school in Fullerton graduating in 1962. She attended the University of Nebraska two years. She and Allan Myers, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lou Myers of Estes Park, Colorado were married November 24, 1964. They live North of Denver at Dacona and both work in Denver. Allan at Blue Cross Blue Shield and Diane at Petroleum Information. They have two children. Danette was born September 19, 1965. Shaun was born July 10, 1969.
   I had a reserve commission in the Dental Corps and was called into service April 1942. I was assigned to the Med. Det 137th Inf. 35th Infantry Division and spent most of my service with that unit. I was in the E.T.O. 17 months and at the time of my discharge in December 1945 had the rank of Captain, in the Dental Corps. We returned to Fullerton in December 1945. Janet and children had been living in Elwood with her parents for 18 months.
   I sold my office to Dr. Glen Hadenfeldt in December of 1976 and after 40 years and three months of practice retired. We intend to continue living here.
   My parents were Mr. and Mrs. L. A. Seberg of Elwood. My father had moved from Iowa while a boy. My grandfather came from Sweden in 1856. He served in the Civil War. My brothers are Glenn L. of Elwood a retired oil dealer, Dr. G. Herbert and Dr. John R., dentists in Hastings.
   Janet (Clark) Seberg was born in Neligh, Nebraska February 4, 1914. Janet's father Dr. G. A. Clark was born in Central City, Nebraska and practiced medicine in Elwood for 50 years. Her mother Anna (Rollings) Clark was born in Vermont. She attended Peru State Teachers College and taught school before being married. Her brother Richard of Elwood has been in the retail business and lumber business for many years. Her sister Barbara (Clark) Wilson lives in Kalama, Washington. Her husband Jack is a retired plant engineer for Dow Chemical.
   Organizations - Lions, American Legion, V.F.W., Past Lions and Chamber of Commerce President, School Board 12 years, Hospital Board 10 years. A number of professional societies and organization. Religion - Protestant.

(no title appears in book)

   Harold Paul Krause was born on June 10, 1891, at Albion, Nebraska. He is a graduate of the Albion High School and attended the University of Nebraska,

Horz. bar

between 1910-14. On June 4th, 1921, he and Vivian Brengle were married in Ferry, Oklahoma.
   Vivian was born in Perry, Oklahoma, on September 15, 1894. She and Harold are the parents of two children: Betty Jean. born March 18, 1922 in Fullerton, Nebraska, and Harold Paul, Jr., born July 27, 1928, at Grand Island, Nebraska.
   Harold served in the Army Field Artillery as a private 1st class in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and in France during WWI. He moved to Fullerton in 1920 to be manager of P. A. Krause & Sons Hardware and retired in 1970. He moved to York, Nebraska in 1978.
   Harold is a charter member of the Fullerton American Legion Post 151 and continues his active membership to this day. He is a third degree Mason and was awarded the Jordan medal for his seniority status. He was President of both the Lions and the Chamber of Commerce and was Commander of the Legion. He was active in the Drum and Bugle Corps and the Kemp Country Club.


   Peter (Pete) Joseph Ballinger was born August 13, 1869, at Galena, Illinois. He came to Nebraska in 1888 at age 19 and did farm work. He married Neoma Jane Cooper June 22, 1894, near Belgrade, Nebraska.
   Neoma Jane Cooper was born April 16, 1871, the daughter of Tom Thomas Cooper and Emily Jane Dyer Cooper. She came to Nebraska with her family when she was 9 years old in 1880. They forded the Missouri River at Avoca, Iowa. They lived about 3 miles east of Belgrade where Sylvester Swalac now owns. Her brothers and sisters were: Lucettia, Milton Wilder, Ada Ora, Cynthia Charilla, Mary Calistia, Clara Melissa, Kate S., Anna Olivia.
   After Peter and Neoma were married a year, Neoma had been teaching and Pete farming, a hot wind blew and dried up the corn. They moved to Colorado where Pete worked in a stove factory. Their children were Leda Mae. Lola Maud, Joseph Warren, Leonard Clarence, Florence Neoma. Floyd Emerson died at 10 months old. They moved back to Fullerton and bought a place north of Fullerton that Delaney's now own.
   Leda Mae Ballinger was born July 8, 1895, and was the oldest child. She was going to high school in Fullerton, quit and went to Kearney to State Normal Training School. On September 15, 1915, she married Earle R. Tranbarger.
   Lucetta married Ben B. Main and lived on the farm near Belgrade where Ben McKeeman now lives. Their children: Lynn, died in infancy; Glen, killed when kicked by a horse, Emma, Eva and Merna. Emma married Arthur Trotter and lived in Grand Island, Eva married Sylvester McKeeman and lived near Belgrade. Merna married Dr. Wilcox of Kearney and later moved to Colorado. Eva's son Ben McKeeman and his wife Ellen live on a farm near Belgrade and have three children, Eva, William and Robert.
   Florence Neoma Ballinger married to Vernon Haun and lives in Grand Island, Nebraska.
   Earle R. Tranbarger came to Nebraska to visit in 1909. When he got out here he got a job in the E. B. Penney bargain basement in Fullerton. He then had a chance to be Assistant Postmaster. The Post Office was on the southeast corner of 3rd and Broadway. Joseph Storch was Postmaster. A man had come to Fullerton and started a variety store. He soon advertised the store for sale. Earle saw the advertisement on a card in the Post Office where he worked and he inquired. He bought the variety store in 1914. During the time he was in the store until 1954, he built a new store. He served three terms as City Clerk, and served on the City Council. He was secretary of the Cemetery Association district Governor of Lions Club and president of the Fullerton Lions Club. He died March 18, 1956. Earle and Leda have one daughter, Lucille, who married Alvin E. Burch and they have a daughter, Courtney Jane Burch. Lucille has run a beauty shop in Fullerton since 1937.
   Leda Mae Tranbarger married John Kerr on February 14, 1960.

Horz. bar

Prior pageReturn to TOCspacerContinue to Next PageNext page

Return to Nance Co.

© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller