Search billions of records on


Horz. bar

Fullerton's First 100 Years (1879-1979)

Horz. bar


   Henry J. Mason was born on August 25, 1852, in Will County, Illinois. He married Mary Jane Peck on May 28, 1876, at Homer, Illinois. He was a school teacher by profession until coming to Nebraska in about 1884. The couple purchased the SW1/4 of Section 33, Township 16, Range 6 in Nance County, Nebraska. This was part of the Pawnee Reservation. The couple had four children, two of whom died in 1885, and his wife died in 1886.
   On April 13, 1892, he married Mattie S. Kimball. To this union, six children were born. They were Guy, Lowell, Muriel, Robert, Lyle and Dolly. The two daughters, Mrs. Maurice (Muriel) Myers and Mrs. Merle (Dolly) Nesbitt; still reside at Fullerton, Nebraska. Lavida Mason (Robert's wife) also lives at Fullerton. Edna Mason (Lowell's wife) resides in Colorado. Grandchildren residing in Nance County are: Mrs. Dale (Mary) Milby, Mrs. Glen (Alice) Sprague, Mrs. Nelson (Donna Rose) Weller, Larry Mason, Garry Mason, Oliver Nesbitt, Donald Nesbitt, Mrs. Gary (Connie Jo) Loseke and Martin Milby.


   An invasion of Army worms in the early 1880's caused the John C. Augustus family to leave their farm near Shattuck, Illinois, and come to Fullerton, Nebraska. They loaded two covered wagons for the long trip. One of the wagons was driven by 11-year-old John A. Augustus, who became known in Fullerton as Art Augustus. Other members of the family making the trip were Argenta, Josulyn, Arthur William and John C. Augustus and his wife Eliza. Mr. and Mrs. Fred Martin, a nephew, and his family followed in a covered wagon. Other families who came to Fullerton from the Shattuck area were the Baldridge's, Donson's and Copple's.
   Arthur Augustus grew to manhood and married Lillian Ridell, who had come to Fullerton from Taylor, Nebraska. The Augustus family lived on a farm on the south side of the Loup river in the Whitney neighborhood. Their children Josulyn Valerie, born September 7, 1903, and Dale, born October, 2, 1905, attended District 55 school. When the children reached high school age, their parents moved to a farm three miles south of Fullerton on Highway 14.
   Dale died of pneumonia on December 4,1921.
   Valeria graduated from Fullerton high school with the Class of 1923 and in 1927 graduated from the University of Nebraska. She taught school in Monroe, Fullerton and Clarks.
   On October 7, 1945, she was married to her old school mate, Paul
Photograph button
Standing: Lillian Augustus, (mother), and Valerie Augustus, (daughter).
Seated: Dale Augustus, (son), and Arthur Augustus, (father).


Horz. bar

Ludington, a returned World War II veteran. The couple continued to make their home on the farm 3 miles south of Fullerton and later retired and moved into Fullerton where they were engaged in the antique business.
   Their daughter, Mrs. Robert (Julie) Becker and family of four children reside at Columbus.
   J. A. Arthur Augustus was born on February 28, 1875, at Shattuck, Illinois, and died at his home south of Fullerton on March 31, 1949.
   Lillian (Ridell) Augustus was born on January 5, 1881, and died on January 24,1943.


   My grandfather Ludington came to this area in 1873 and located his farm. Then the family came in a covered wagon from Adel, Iowa, with two daughters. They settled on a farm on the north side of the river in the Merrick county strip, which is one-half mile wide. When Nance County land was sold, my grandfather purchased 60 acres in Nance County adjoining his 160 acres. He operated a ferry boat and a sorghum mill, besides farming.
   Their descendants living in Nance County are Mrs. Ray (Lenore) Peregrine, the late Mrs. Donald (Bette) Horacek, Paul Ludington of Fullerton and Mrs. Elmer Lund of Genoa.
   My grandfather McMillin and his wife came from Vinton, Ohio, in 1874. They settled in Howard County. When Nance County opened up in 1879, he purchased a quarter of land near Glenwood. The land is now owned by the Forbes family. My grandfather McMillin stayed in Nance County only one year. He planted it to corn. However, ducks ate his corn that year so he moved back to Howard County near Cushing.
   Both my grandfathers attended the first political convention held in Nance County. Genoa had a slate of candidates and Fullerton had one, too. The Fullerton candidates were nominated, the last one being for county superintendent. The Genoa candidate had the floor and he was running a filibuster. My grandfather Ludington was sitting on the platform. He took his cane and pulled the speaker down in his chair and held him. The convention chairman then recognized a Fullerton delegate. He nominated Dan Barber who was later elected as our first superintendent.
   My parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Ludington came from South Dakota to Fullerton in 1908. We spent the winter in grandfather and grandmother Ludington's home. It was the Brad Slaughter house and stood where Dr. Seberg's home is located now.
   Mr. Kellogg, the father of the late County Clerk Wilbur Kellogg, had a broom factory in a two room house on my grandparents' place. I enjoyed watching them make brooms. All the machines were foot-powered. They would let me pedal the machine that wound the wire at the top of the broom.
   My brother, Forrest, had pneumonia. The doctor had given him up. Grandmother Ludington brought in a tub of hot water and they sweated him out. The fever broke and he lived.
   I remember Minnie (Freeman) Penny. Her husband, Ed, operated a department store in the building from which the Fullco Store now operates. The Penny's took part in politics. Ed Penny was a republican delegate to the national convention which nominated President Harding in 1920. Mrs. Penny was the first state president of the American Legion Auxiliary.


   John P. Hebda was born in Austria in 1871, son of George Hebda and Anna Mlodelska. He married Mary Kolodzei, who was born on September 3, 1875, at Tarnov, Poland, at Columbus, Nebraska on November 6,1895. She was the daughter of Bartholomew Kolodzei and Katy Chiohan. Among the couple's three sons and three daughters was Steven Hebda, who was born on September

Horz. bar

13, 1904, at Columbus, Nebraska. The family moved to Nance County about 1916.
   On February 22, 1927, Steven Hebda married Frances Uzendoski in Sts. Peter and Paul Church at Krakow. She was born on May 8, 1907, in Nance County. She is one of the seven children of Peter and Catharine (Speas) Uzendoski, who were married on May 9, 1899, at Krakow. Peter Uzendoski was born on June 22, 1873, in Poland, and died in Fullerton, Nebraska, on October 14, 1942. Catharine Speas was born in Nance County on October 4, 1881, and died at Fullerton, Nebraska, on May 6, 1969. Her parents were Simon and Maryanna Jaworski and had eight children.
Photograph button
The Peter Uzendoski Family.
   Following their marriage, Steven and Frances Hebda lived on a farm west of Fullerton. Later they moved to a farm about 11 miles south and east of Fullerton where they resided until 1944 when they moved to their present farm, 3 1/2 miles south and east of Fullerton. They are the parents of three children, Evangeline (Mrs. Lowell Nesbitt) of Imperial, Nebraska, born June 24, 1928; Clarence S. of Fullerton, Nebraska, born January 23, 1930; and Raymond J. of Silver Creek, Nebraska, born November 4, 1932.
   After graduation from Fullerton high school and serving in the U.S. Navy Clarence S. Hebda married Mary Ann Krzycki, daughter of Joseph and Edith (Shotkoski) Krzycki of Genoa, Nebraska, in Sts. Peter and Paul Church at Krakow on April 7, 1951. Joseph Krzycki, son of John and Victoria (Borowiak) Krzycki, was born on February 9, 1906, at Columbus, Nebraska and died on March 18, 1979. Edith Krzycki, daughter of Andrew (Henry) and Sophia (Paprocki) Shotkoski, was born on March 5, 1909 in Nance County, Nebraska.
   Clarence and Mary Ann Hebda are the parents of six children. Diane Marie born August 24, 1952, and married to Austin Bechtold, Jr., on January 8, 1972, Doris May, born May 4, 1954, and married to Gary W. Allen on June 21, 1975; Debra Margene, born October 7, 1955; Donna Margaret, born March 19 1958; Dwain Mark, born February 17, 1967; and DaNell Monica, born June 8 1969. They have two grandchildren, Andrew Christian Bechtold, born January 23, 1978, and Patty Delrossi Bechtold, born April 20,1972. The latter is an adopted foster child.
   In 1961, Clarence and Mary Ann Hebda purchased the Nance County Journal from Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Plourd. Mr. Hebda had been employed at the newspaper for 15 years prior to purchasing it. After serving in various district press association offices, Mr. Hebda was elected to the board of director of Nebraska Press Association in 1964 and was elected as state president of the Association in 1974. Since 1970, Mr. Hebda has served as Ambassador for Ak-Sar-Ben of Omaha in Fullerton. Mr. and Mrs. Hebda are active in community affairs and St. Peter's Catholic Church where he has been a lifelong member. He has served on the hospital board, been associated with the Jaycees, Chamber of Commerce, Lions Club, Fraternal Order of Eagles and a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He also served 15 years on the Fullerton Volunteer Fire Department. Both are life members of the Fullerton Historical Society.

Horz. bar

Taped by Mrs. Clyde Russell
Mrs. Harry (Sadie) Vogel's Story

   I was born in 1895 in the little square house about 2 1/2 miles up the valley from Fullerton where I had come back to live in 1946 and still call home. My mother, I can't claim to know or remember except for pictures, for I was only five days old when she died. She had come up from Maryville, Missouri with her father's family. The mother and sisters rode the train while brothers rode her Indian pony and drove the livestock across "The Wide Missouri River" on the ice. I recall the peculiar scar on her flank that my father showed me was the Indian brand. Eight years later he allowed me to ride "Old Baldy" to the country school until I was out of country schools, then she was put out to pasture until she died at the age of 33.
   Speaking of early schools, not all had schoolhouses. I believe District 11 was held in the home a mile west of Vogel's for a time. Grandfather Scarlett gave the school grounds and church yard for as long as it was used for those purposes. His son, Tom lived farther west as also did the younger son, Clarence, a little farther on. So District 11 was organized.
   West of us was District 56, which was built a month later and my mother taught September to Christmas there in 1894. Sarah Marcella Storch and Geo. Franklin Loucks were married June 4, 1894.
   Winter heat was furnished through the stove pipe from the room below as was the custom. The stove pipe ran through the ceiling up for another five feet and then go right angled through a wall to take the chill off another room before entering the chimney. How's that for economy? Children weren't allowed to run around for they might get burned or knock the pipe down.
   I liked to go to school. It had pretty wallpaper, the only school I recall having seen wallpaper. Lots were whitewashed and years later painted. We used Barnes Readers, Dowman's Reader in third grade, Barnes for the upper grades.
   To get back to living - after Mother died my Dad and I lived with his parents and an adopted daughter, Dollie May Loucks, whose mother had died.
   I loved to watch Grandpa Loucks churn with a barrel churn, large enough I'm sure to have put me into it. Certainly not a woman-size job. To use, several gallons of cream were put in, locked the lid on - then thumpety-thump, thumpety-thump at a steady rate until it sounded like it was ready to open. Then we could hear the buttermilk go swish after the cream had gathered in to little balls. I must have been a prime nuisance. Grandmother gathered the balls with a wooden butter paddle, poured off the buttermilk, then poured cold water into the churn. That rinsed the butter and made it easier to pick up with her wooden butter paddle and put it into her wooden butter bowl which was about two feet in diameter. Woe me if I showed up to watch with uncombed hair for a hair in the butter was the baddest thing imaginable. She combed the butter anyway just in case. Sometimes a cow's hair was found but mighty seldom. I liked fresh butter and Grandma wore a heavy thimble, once was enough for the little fingers getting too near, thank you.
   I usually found a flower to visit and once a bee was busy there and I received its undivided attention. I went crying to Grandma. She took a leaf from three different fruit trees, bruised them with her cobblers hammer for a poultice on my finger and told me to run out and play. Sure enough it cured.
   Women and Men often did their own shoe mending for the family. Mrs. Bertha Loucks had a last, a shoe shaped top on an iron post about a foot high and bought sole leather and tacks; cut the leather to shape it, soaked it a while to soften it and tacked it into place with brass brads. They felt a little clumsy at first but they were okay soon unless a brad had failed to clench properly and pierced a toe instead. Then it went back to the last or was pulled out with pincers or pliers.
   Always I was read to in the evening as a little child to get quiet at bedtime. The book Little Bright Eyes is here with me, much worn but no pages gone. It was a gift from Grandma when I was three - three quarters of a century ago. I have had many since but none with so many good lessons to learn. Grandpa ordered The Youth's Companion for me when I was old enough to read it.

Horz. bar

   Monday evening I went to Grandpa to read the funnies and munch Jonathan apples. At home we sometimes had popcorn; if neighbors came in, there was often a batch of toffee made. I recall one family who had moved away asked us over for hot maple syrup over snow. Now nothing before or since has tasted so good as rolling up the chilled strings on a fork and getting my teeth stuck in it.
   I think the prettiest fall picture is a flock of Blue Jays that lit suddenly in a young ash tree that was pure gold. I just heard of the battle of the Blue Jays for the first time. It seems Mr. Vogel had a young orchard bearing nicely. A neighbor, Mr. Scarlett, also had a young orchard and Jays were doing lots of damage. Twas back in black powder days. Neighbors saw a puff of smoke, heard the bang and saw the flock of Jays fly up from the other orchard. Then puff, bang! The Jays went back. I hear that went on until the last Blue Jay was killed.
   Certainly better than the feuds we hear, of, wasn't it?
   In school at District 56 were the Claridges - Ada, Frank and Myrtle. They lived on the Theodore Reimers ranch where Mike Uzendoski lives. Two families were there - Curries with Nettie and Chalmers. Where Hambleton's live now on the Eli Mangus farm with Roy, Ben, Bill, Gerald, and Lollie. At one time a family named McGuire lived at the ranch. I only remember Carl and Alice. Where Kotlarz live now was called the McCurr farm. Living there was the Simpson family, one boy, Rudolph, and sisters, Helen, who played the guitar, Carrie, my own age, and one older sister.
   Altha Bake was my first teacher. She married Theo Reimers and lived in a house up on the road where the Zimmer family lives. I always adored her. Olive Bergen followed her and Olive and Charles P. Cunningham were married when I was seven. Merton, Lester, Gladys and Bruce came to school. We carried water for drinking from there. Two went together careful to use two of a size, we got more water that way. At one time Knipphals lived on the ranch and their daughter, Amanda, came to school far later than when I was there. They moved to the Penney place when that house was new and lived there until both of them died.
   Ad or Adrien Douthit lived south of the road east of them and Ted and Leonard went to school at 56. Wes Adamson followed them with Edna, Pearl, Bessie and Shirley and I don't remember Tommy going to school there. Across the ditch and east on the north side I remember first the Cole family with Phil and Nettie in school and after them Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Dyer with their son, Paul. I believe Dyer's finally moved to town and the John McAfee family followed them and Gail, Beatrice, Mamie, Bessie and Ethel.
   Different ones have lived on Grandpa Loucks farm but none with country school children. On east Ad Douthit moved and Beatty went to high school but "Buster" was younger. His name was Lewis but I never heard him called that!
   On north lived a Norwegian bachelor, Chris Johnson, who had the George Sovereign Family live there and keep house and cook. Their daughters were Bertha (my 8th grade teacher), Bessie Ethel, and Elsie - the youngest who simply wrapped Chris around her little finger with her "fanny, Tris, Tanny". Ethel was older. They were in town district and she married James Avery Bell. Bertha married George Vaughn. Bess was Mrs. Charles Green. Where Cuba's live was the Pillsbury farm and the road leading west up the ridge was called Pillsbury Hill.
   And then we come to Grandma Barheit's house where I spent many happy Saturday afternoons so Mrs. Loucks didn't have to bother with me. Mr. Barheit's name was John. Were you aware that the two hills in the west of town were Mt. Jehu and Mt. Royal? Ralph Barber was Mrs. Barheit's grandson. I believe where the CCC home is now was once the town cow pasture, from Main Street east.
   Mr. Vogel said that in 1879 he could see nothing but a sea of prairie blue stem as far as the eye could reach. It was horse-high and the Indians could lie along their ponies and not be seen. There were no trees along the river and only one in the bend of the creek behind our house had escaped the frequent prairie fires that burned over thousands of acres. I was horrified to see the big hill blacking over as a fire got away from a neighbor and spread in our pasture.
   One night when we were coming home from tending trout lines in the river

Horz. bar

we could see three-quarters of a mile where a sweet clover patch and a ravine were burning. It was a terrifying sight to me for it seemed to be going towards a neighbor's home. We raced home. Harry phoned. "No Thanks! We need no help; we burned that out on purpose". The old fire guard streaks were still visible at that time and I got all the thrill without the danger.
   Our love was for big trees and hundreds of others were killed by the elm blight so it seemed terrible to see their whitened skeletons lying about the yards and where the shady places had been in the pastures.
   Back when Nance County was made an Indian Reservation the Pawnees were allowed to pick as much land as a man could ride around in a day's time. They picked the best hunting grounds, of course, which may explain its odd shape.
   There's an Indian Hill in the west end of the county where hundreds are buried and single graves still come to light as cow paths are washed out by hard rains. That was because the Sioux overran the Pawnee and killed all the women, old men and children. The warriors had left to gather fall fruit while other warriors went to meet the enemy. No Indians were here after Mr. Vogel came except those riding through to do hunting farther west.
   Once Freddie, eight years older than little Harry, saw some coming and ran with Harry across the creek to hide in the sweet corn patch where they waited with held breath for they'd heard tales of Indian massacres; but the Indians went on peaceably at that time.
   The creek, Colt Creek, was spring fed and running. Mr. Vogel dammed it up above the buildings and put a row boat in which gave many hours of pleasure to anyone with enough time to enjoy it.
   In spring, wild roses, elkhorn plant, honey suckle plants, crocus' Indian head, Grandpa's whiskers, vine and wild hock caught the eye of the school child going slowly over the road to and from. Buffalo beans and wild sweet peas were lovely. Canterbury bells were on hand in the pastures for Memorial Day. Some smaller white bells also and some we called Indian paintbrush also the white stars of flowers on grass banks along the river and sand flowers developed their pretty paperlike blooms. They grew along the roads south of the Loup and were much liked for Decoration Day because they never seemed to wilt.
   Mr. Julius Vogel, living on what we know as the Dinsdale Ranch, went out one spring day and got a box wagon load of white geese in a day so his wife might have a white feather bed and pillows. The geese were red with mites and not fit to eat but that was life in Nebraska at that time.
   The Vogel Brothers would reminisce and laugh heartily but I thought I was too busy to listen. Perhaps Bertha and Helen can remember; they loved to listen to their Grandfather and Uncle.
   I have been proud to say that I used all horse-drawn machines on our farm except for a check-row corn planter and lister, but I cultivated acres and acres of corn with a one-row riding cultivator. My dad, my grandpa and I could be heard singing the day long each in his own field. Usually hymns, but Dad put a bit of swing into it. He had enjoyed playing in home town groups to entertain so he knew a lot I didn't. Also he learned some while in the militia and Nebraska National Guard.
   Harry asked if I would like to go hunting one winter day on the river. I guess he thought I should know how time flies hunting. We got up at 3:30. I put up lunch and made a pan of corn meal mush. We ate daintily licking around the edge while it was still warm and soon the pan was empty. Harry had the team to the spring wagon, metal boat on the hay and coffee and sandwiches down. We started trotting down the road. Pat had once gone down one track snarling at a traveler in the other which proved to be a big skunk homeward bound. Pat led the team on to the river without trouble.
   We enjoyed the diamond sprinkled sky got to the river while it was still dark. Harry took his gun out to the blind on the ice. I roamed the bank with my camera, found a young Mallard drake with a broken wing which I carried under my arm until Harry was ready to go home and said I had better leave it where it was used to being and it was just doing nicely.

Horz. bar


   My father G. F. Malander, who was an early resident of Nance County, was born in Slotto Sweden, to John and Kristina Malander, on February 28, 1867, the same year that Nebraska became a state.
   Pictures of their home in Sweden show it as a comfortable place located near a beautiful lake. But for some reason, perhaps a pioneering spirit or because of political difficulties in the country, they decided to bring their family of seven children to America making the long tiring trip in a sailing vessel, of course.
   The father and one son came first in 1870 and the mother and other children came in 1871 to Boone, Iowa, bringing the family and belongings to a log cabin near Dayton, Iowa, in a horse-drawn dray. Times were very difficult for the large family. At one time all except two had typhoid fever at the same time, the mother dying. From then on most of the children made their own way in life.
   Upon reaching 21, Gus went to Colorado and proved up on a government land, paying $1.25 an acre. Driving back to Iowa in a "spring wagon" pulled by a team of mules, he stopped overnight at a farm home northeast of Genoa, and worked there for some time.
   There he met my mother, Mary Nelson, whose father, Nels Nelson, had come to Nance county from Geneva, Illinois and purchased and improved a home about 3 1/2 miles from Genoa in 1887. Gus Malander and Mary Nelson were married in 1894 and farmed in the Genoa and also in the Plum Creek area. In 1900, they purchased a farm about 2 1/2 miles north east of Belgrade and farmed there until retiring to Belgrade in 1925.
   They had three children: Muriel, who married Mark F. Andersen in 1921; Gerald N., who married Ina Swanson of Fullerton in 1925 and later married Clara Johnson of Newman Grove; and Carroll, who died in infancy.
   I have very pleasant memories of growing up in the Belgrade area. The town is located on a hillside overlooking to the west the beautiful valley of the Cedar river. A railroad track had been built along the valley from Columbus to Spalding. The work was done for the most part by local people and had not been contracted out. O. F. Andersen had come from Chicago in 1879 and helped in laying the track to Cedar Rapids. Later he owned farms north of the tracks near Belgrade. A combined freight and passenger train made the trip daily and later on, what we called the "motor" carried passengers daily.
   In 1900, there were a few businesses and not very many homes but Belgrade did have three churches. The Free Methodist church was in the south part of town. The Friends Church has a minister come from Clarks but was moved later to the Fairview community. The Methodists built a new church in 1893 and a Rev. Trezona was the first minister I remember. The Methodists had a parsonage in Belgrade but shared their minister with the Pinnacle Hill Church.
   There was a good-sized school located on the hill side just north of what is now called Bel-Horst Inn. Only 10 grades were offered so many came to Fullerton for their twelfth grade work. I attended the Fullerton School in 1911-1912 and later attended the Nebraska Wesleyan College. I taught school in Belgrade, Central City and Clarks.
   There was no water or sewage system and the water came from back yard pumps. There was no electricity or telephone service.
   Some of the businessmen of the time were Mr. Cooley, who came in 1891 and did much to improve all phases of the town. There were also G. S. McChesney, who had come to Nance County in 1871 and later owned a general store; Ben and Chas Smith also a general store. A weekly newspaper was started by Mayfield, later taken over by Bob Dopf who married Mae Ludington.
   Some of our farm neighbors were Dave Main, Ed Nelson, John Anstine, Mr. Cedargreen, Henry Rolf, Ben Main, Thomas Trotter and Chas Waisner.
   Because of the railroad, the fertile farmlands, the enterprising citizens and farmers the town grew quickly. In 1910 water and electric bonds were voted in. There were at least two general merchandising stores. Dr. Ford and Dr. Bates were our first doctors and after they left Dr. King served us for many years. He

Horz. bar

also served in World War I. There were two thriving lumber and hardware stores and two banks. At one time two dentists and the Osborne drug store which was replaced by Kadel Drug.
   The Andrew Bros. came to town and started a bank, implement business and later on a Buick Agency. I remember standing in line one Fourth of July Celebration, waiting to pay 25¢ to ride a mile in an automobile. A. F. Kleise had a furniture store and undertaking business. Miss Alice Helms, who married Wilbur Kellogg, operated a millinery store. At one time the Query Harness Shop was a busy place. Will Hutchinson bought local cream and churned butter for shipment which Mark Andersen later took over. There was a telephone office with a "Central".
   The town prospered until the long drouth, the great depression and larger use of the automobile.
   Gus Malander's son, Gerald, lived and farmed in the Belgrade area until his death in 1975. Now his two grandsons, Gerry Malander and Galen Malander, and their families still live and farm in the Belgrade area.
   After our marriage we lived near Belgrade and in town until we moved to a farm near Clarks in 1947. I taught the neighboring school for one year and then taught the kindergarten and first grade in Clarks for nine years. My husband died in 1963 and I came to Fullerton in 1965 Our daughters, Gus Malander's granddaughters, are Mrs. Roberta Christensen of Fullerton, Mrs. Elizabeth De Vol and Mrs. Ruth Toll of Fort Collins, Colorado
   Mrs. Gus Malander died in 1958 and he in 1960 at the age of 93. Both had been active Methodist Church members since 1900. Both were members of the Order of the Eastern Star and he a member of the Masonic Lodge. He helped organize the Farmers Cooperative Elevator and also the Co-operative General Merchandise Store and any other activity for the betterment of the community.


   Stoughton -- Tenets Thompson, of Fullerton, Nebraska who helped to capture the Younger brothers, back in 1876 when the nationally known bandits with the James Boys, were terrorizing the country, is visiting at the home of Abner and Martin Halverson. Thompson is 69 and was but 23 years old when the three brothers, Cole, Bob and Jim Younger robbed the bank at Northfield Minnesota. The Youngers had been forced to leave their horses and were fleeing on foot and stopped to get something to eat at a farmhouse nearby. Tosten joined in the chase as the posse came by and captured the three, six miles west of Madelia.



   Men from Nance county, who died in World War II were: Charles Abel, Jesse Bishop, Robert Brower, Austin Davis, Harold Dufoe, Cecil Hickey, Bernard Knudson, Emil Koziol, Jerome Koziol, Irving Larson, Russell Martin, Lawrence Meyers, Cornelius Nelson, Gerald O. Stenzel, Eldon Theel, Bennie F. Urkoski, Joseph Urkoski, Hugo Vogel and Carroll R. Wilson.

Journal Co., Fullerton, NE


Horz. bar

(insert at back of the book)

   Hans Frenzen was born in Schlessing Holestin, Germany, on September 3, 1853. He came to America in 1879. In 1880, he was married to Celia Grage of Manilla, Iowa. They came to Nebraska in 1888 and settled on a farm north of Central City where they lived for 13 years.
   In 1901, Hans brought his family to Nance County. They settled on a farm 5 1/2 miles northwest of Fullerton. The farm nestled under the bluffs on the west with the lazy Cedar River winding along the east side of the farm on its way to the Loup. There were 497 acres of land in this farm with part of it in pasture and the rest good rich farmland. Irrigated out of the Cedar River.
   To this union were born eight children, Louis, Frank, Edward, Anna, Emma, LaVida and Arthur. Mrs. Hans Frenzen died in 1906 at the young age of 44 years. Hans Frenzen died on January 17, 1932.
   Louis Frenzen died in early childhood.
   Henry Frenzen married Anna Wilkins of Grand Island. To this union were born two children, Elsie, now deceased, who was married to Oscar Niemoth of Grand Island. There was one son, Donald.
   Ellen became Mrs. Paul Gibbons of Grand Island. No children.
   Henry Frenzen died at his home in Grand Island, August 21, 1927.
   Frank Frenzen married Lillie Stacy of Central City. To this union were born Clarence, Thelma, Glenn and Donald. Frank died in Fullerton on May 21, 1970.
   Clarence Frenzen married Annita Zipf of St. Edward. They are the parents of two sons and they live in Fullerton. Marlin married Judy Basel of Ithaca, Nebraska, July 23, 1961. They are the parents of five sons, Craig, Kent, Scott, Rick, and Kurt, and they live near Fullerton. Galen married Gwen Logan of Diller, Nebraska, on August 25, 1979. They live near Fullerton and are the parents of one daughter, Genna, born on October 3, 1981.
   Thelma married Gerald Hanlon of Scottsbluff, Nebraska. They have seven children, Karen, Kenneth, Suella, Kevin, Gene, Marcia and Edward. Thelma lives in Scottsbluff, Nebraska.
   Glenn Frenzen married Lorene Dinger of Missouri. They are the parents of two sons, Ronald and Darrell, and one daughter, Judy. Glenn lives in Fallon, Missouri. Ronald is married to Sara Andrews and lives in Michigan. They have a daughter, Ellen. Judy is not married. Darrell is married to Susan West, and has two children, Seth and Amber, and lives near St. Louis, Missouri.
   Donald Frenzen married Maxine Moore of Albion. Donald lives in Longmont, Colorado, and has four children, Marlene, Lynette, Cristi and Donald, Jr. Marlene is married to Dave Miller and has two boys, Mark and Lon. They live in Longmont, Colorado. Lynette is not married and lives in Lindsborg, Kansas. Cristi is married to Mike Walles and lives in Oakley, Kansas. Donald, Jr., is married to Judy Augdahl and has two sons, Rick and Brent, and lives in Longmont, Colorado.
   Edward Frenzen never married. He died May 20, 1964.
   Anna married Walter Matthiessen. To this union were born Darlene, LaVern, Marvin and Wayne. Anna died August 25, 1969.
   Emma married Clifford Hadfield and they are the parents of Wyonna and Douglas.
   LaVida married Robert Mason. They had four children, Robert, deceased; Donna, Garry and Larry.
   Arthur married Arlene Scott and they are the parents of two girls, Dixie and Penny. Arthur lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. Dixie is married to Kenneth Gannon and has three children, Kim, Scott and Dawn, and lives in Lincoln, Nebraska. Penny married Hugh Robinson. They have two boys, Paul and Ward, and they live in Lincoln, Nebraska.

--Written by Anita Frenzen. October. 1979

Horz. bar

Prior pageReturn to TOCspacerReturn to Nance Co.

© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller