of the Loup, between Council and Plum creeks. That same year a company of missionaries, under the direction of the A. B. C. T. M., stationed themselves at Plum Creek for the purpose of instructing the Indians in the arts of civilization and the beauties of the Christian religion. Farmers, blacksmiths and a teacher appointed by the government in conformity with the treaty stipulations, also settled among them. In consequence of these settlements, a portion of the Great American Desert, near the seat of what is now known as Nance county, as soon as 1840, began to assume the appearance of civilization. Log cabins were builded, sod fences constructed, acres of prairie broken; green fields waved in the wind, herds of cattle grazed on the hillsides, while horses and carriages passed two [sic] and fro between the settlements, situated only five miles apart. (The remains of the Indian villages at the mouth of the Cedar and between the two creeks are yet plainly visible.)
But the Sioux from time immemorial had been the enemy of the Pawnees, and, not content with send-
ing out small war parties, who continually annoyed them and kept the whites in a state of unrest, on the first Sabbath of July, 1843, 700 warriors appeared upon the line of bluffs overlooking the village between Council and Plum creeks, and commenced an attack on the Pawnees. The demoniacal war whoop of the Sioux, that echoed and re-echoed up and down the valley on that quiet Sabbath morning, sounded as though all the fiends from the infernal regions had suddenly been turned loose in the Loup valley. It was answered by a yell of defiance from the throats of a thousand Pawnees, who were quickly in battle array. The fight raged fiercely the most of the day, and at night the Pawnees were forced to desert their village to save the lives of their women and children, which was burned to the ground by the victorious Sioux. Between seventy and eighty of the best and truest of the Pawnee braves bit the dust in that fearful encounter, and the defeated band started immediately on their summer hunt, leaving "the dead to bury the dead," and the wounded
Mr. Thompson was born and grew to manhood in St. Clair county, Illinois. Graduated from the Law Department of Washington University, St. Louis, Mo., in 1885. Came to Nebraska in the spring of 1886 and has been a resident of Fullerton ever since. Was mayor of Fullerton one year. Served one term as County Attorney. Is a lover of books; owns a fine private library and is a member of the Carnegie Library Board of Fullerton. Has been connected with the Fullerton Chautauqua much of the time during the past fifteen years. Is a successful platform speaker.
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller