Search billions of records on

NEGenWeb Project
Nance County

     In March, J. W. Whitney moved onto his Loupe Ferry farm, purchased the previous fall.

     In May, B. D. Slaughter and father made a trip to the Reserve, now soon to become Nance county, and on the 10th of May at the residence of O. E. Stearns, an agreement was entered into with Randall Fuller for the purchase of a half interest in the town site by Mr. Slaughter, who then returned to Lincoln and brought his wife out to see the country, traveling nearly 700 miles over the North Nebraska regions before reaching the Cedar at the new town site. They reached here June 18th, and at once made a contract with Fuller for a half interest in the northeast quarter of section 14, township 16, range 6 west of the 6th principal meridian.

     On the 21st day of June the board of county commissioners appointed by the governor met and read the following order:

     "WHEREAS, A large number of citizens of the unorganized county of Nance have united in a petition asking that the said county be organized, and that Orson E. Stearns, Geo. S. McChesney and J. W. Whitney be appointed a board of county commissioners, and that DeWitt Eager be appointed special county clerk for said county, for the purpose of forming a permanent organization, and that the northeast quarter of section 14, township 16 north, range 6 west, be designated as the temporary county seat of the said county of Nance, and it appearing that the said county contains a population of not less than two hundred, and two or more petitioners are taxpayers and residents of said county; Now, therefore, I, Albinus Nance, Governor of the State of Nebraska, in accordance with the memorial of said petitioners, and under and by virtue of the authority in me vested, and in pursuance of the statute in such cases


made and provided, do declare said county to be temporarily organized for the purpose of permanent organization, and do appoint and commission the persons above named as the special county commissioners and the person above mentioned as the special county clerk, and do declare the place above named and described as the temporary county seat."

     The grand rush then commenced to the county seat. At this time Tiffany and Dresser were encamped at the Cedar, and N. C. Judson and family were stopping temporarily at the Fuller ranch.

     Randall Fuller was at work erecting the first building in Fullerton, the old Pawnee land office of Slaughter & Lindsay. In working upon this building the scaffolding broke and Mr. Fuller fell about twelve feet, striking on his head and shoulders, and receiving injuries from which he has never fully recovered.

     The next house was put up by Jacob Smith, who had purchased the farm now owned by W. H. Horn. It stands west of the City Hotel and is the property of Russel Rogers. This was followed by J. W. Dresser's store building, erected by himself, H. E. Reynolds, the first contractor and builder in the place, W. C. Phillips and a Mr. Seeley. The cellar was excavated by the present manager of the Journal and two of Andrew Thompson's sons, at 75 cents each per day -- wages not apt to inspire a man with glowing visions of future wealth. N. C. Judson then constructed his store building, and Mr. Slaughter, while on his second trip to the county seat, made arrangements to have the structure built which is now used for the Telescope office.

     In the latter part of June M. S. Lindsay, a young graduate of law, came from Waco, York county, to grow up with the new country. There being nothing at that time





   John T. (Jack) Sullivan, one of the hustling and popular "young veteran" cattle salesman of the yards, has accepted a position with Wood Bros., and is in the saddle looking after the interests of the shippers to this firm. Jack is associated with E. N. Munson and Ben Roth in selling the Wood Bros.' cattle and the experience and team work of these veteran salesmen certainly assures cattle shippers of the most expert and satisfactory service.
   Jack was associated with Clay, Robinson & Co., for nearly twenty-eight years and his relations with the firm as well as


with Mr. Albert Noe, the head cattle salesman have always been of the most pleasant character during the entire period. Coming to the yards August 6, 1888, Jack has not lost a single day's pay in all that time. He leaves the firm of Clay, Robinson & Co. with regret, but feels that in joining forces with Wood Bros. he is not only bettering his own condition, but also placing himself in a position to effectively take care of the interests of the many friends he has made in the live stock business during his long connection with the South Omaha market. -- From Omaha Bee, July 1, 1916.




Page Twenty-nine

Previous pageSpacerTOCSpacerNext page

© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller