hands and arms in the buckets of water, but could hardly endure the pain from which he was suffering. The doctor carefully dressed the wounds with what material he could find, and the next morning the party pulled out for home sans deer, sans pelts, sans everything except the guns, fifteen pounds of powder and the scant clothing they had on their backs. It was a tedious journey for the entire party, and especially Mr. Edgington, whose wounds were a source of intense pain most of the time. It was several months before he fully recovered.
During the fall, A. Brown, S. P. Gorby, J. R. Burke, I. O. Jones and others settled in Cottonwood precinct. And R. Garrett, T. O. McIntyre and Charles E. Cleveland weighed anchor on South Branch.
The 1st of September, 1879, Hon. G. O. Barnes of Lacon, Illinois, accompanied by his wife, made a visit to Nance county and purchased a large tract of land near Genoa, which is still in his possession, and is utilized as a stock ranch.
The first political convention ever held in Nance county was called at Genoa, September 10th, the object of which was to put in nomination candidates for the several county offices, to be elected the ensuing November. It was a "mass" convention, and adopted the following resolutions before proceeding to nominate officers:
"RESOLVED, That we, the citizens of Nance county, in convention assembled, do nominate for election, candidates for the different offices, to be elected at the regular election for such offices.
"RESOLVED, That in this convention, all color of politics be laid aside, and the object be to nominate men for office who are worthy thereof, irrespective of party.
"Resolved, That the nominations of this convention be by ballot, and the one having a majority of ballots cast shall be considered duly nominated.
"Resolved, That we earnestly request all the citizens of Nance county to lend their support to the ticket nominated.
"Resolved, That thanks be returned the trustees of the hall for the use thereof, and that these resolutions be published in the Genoa Magnet.
"By order of Com.O. E. STEARNS,
G. R. NUNELLY,
J. J. BUMP."
The following ticket was nominated: For commissioner, Dist. No. 1, Geo. E. Willard; for Dist. No. 2, Andrew Thompson; Dist. No. 3, Thos. F. Miller; for county judge, Wm. Burgess; for clerk, Martin Patterson; for sheriff, W. A. Davis; for surveyor, G. H. Haskins; for treasurer, L. F. Ellis; for county superintendent, C. D. Rakestraw; for coroner, J. W. Williamson. Martin Patterson was chairman of this convention and C. D. Rakestraw secretary.
On the 13th of the same month, pursuant to a call for a meeting to organize a county central committee, and to elect a delegate to attend the state convention, a meeting was held at Fullerton, of which O. E. Stearns was chosen chairman and Rev. R. G. Adams secretary. B. D. Slaughter was chosen as delegate to the state Convention, and the following persons were elected as Nance county's first Republican central committee: J. N. Reynolds, chairman, Fullerton precinct; L. F. Ellis, Genoa;. M. S. Lindsay, Fullerton; E. C. Egbert, Loup Ferry; Anthony Simons, Timber Creek. A motion to lay aside all party politics in the county election prevailed unanimously.
During this period in Nance county's history the question of the permanent location of the county seat was agitating the minds of the residents in the rival villages of Genoa and Fullerton, and the Willard brothers for the former and Brad Slaughter for the latter place were working tooth and toe-nail to secure the quota of "actual settlers" necessary to make their "election sure." In stating the plain facts, which we are in a position to do without prejudice, we hope not to be instrumental in reviving any of the animosity at that time engendered between the two towns.
Some time in October, the exact date we have not ascertained, the Fullertonites held a convention and put in nomination the following ticket, manifestly in the interests of Fullerton: For county judge, M. S. Lindsay; for sheriff, W. H. Bowman; for clerk, J. N. Reynolds; for treasurer, S. L. Sturtevant; for coroner, ----- Davis; for surveyor, G. H. Haskins; for superintendent, Dan Barker; for commissioners, 1st Dist., R. Warn; 2nd Dist., Henry Ruby; 3d Dist., Thos. F. Miller. Then the fun commenced. There wasn't a very large field to canvass, and the fight was a purely sectional one.
In the midst of the quiet turmoil that was going on, Royal Smith, all unconscious of the strife, was busily at work erecting the Commercial Hotel, which was completed and ready for business before winter set in.
The last week of October, A. E. Verity. with a newspaper outfit that antedated the flood, composed of a couple of twenty-five pound fonts of battered "body" type, a few remnants of what had constituted a half dozen "cases" of display type, and a wooden press manufactured by a crack-brained boozer who didn't know the first principles of press work, brought forth a six-column folio, the first edition of the Nance County Journal. It had a subscription list of fifty, and an advertising patronage proportion-
Nance County, Nebraska
Mr. Medberry was born in Minnesota, left there at the age of thirteen and went to Wisconsin. Engaged in farming in Wisconsin and Iowa for 19 years. Came to Nance county in the spring of 1889 and has been engaged in farming. fifteen miles Northwest of Fullerton, ever since. Mr. Medberry served on the Board of County Supervisors for four years, from 1907 to 1911, and is now up for another sentence of four more years, subect to the will of the voters of his district.
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller