Search billions of records on

NEGenWeb Project
Nance County

boys in the direction of his house about 10 o'clock in the evening, and about the same time a horse belonging to Mr. Mair ran over to their place, as if frightened, and immediately returned.

     Mr. Furnivall has not been seen since the tragedy was discovered, but on Tuesday morning previous to its discovery, a man recognized by some that saw him as Furnivall, and by others as Baird, left Percival's horse with Baird's saddle at Mr. Roberts' livery stable at this place, and took the morning train east. Telegrams were sent advising his apprehension, and officers were put on his track, but so far to no avail.

     Financially, the victims and the missing Furnivall were in easy circumstances, the latter, it is thought, owning the most property.

     Mr. Mair was, up to the time of his death, expecting a draft for about one thousand dollars from a friend in England, and it has since come for him, but it is not known that he had any money of consequence about his person. There is no knowledge that Mr. or Mrs. Percival had any money about them, beyond perhaps a small amount; the same is true of Mr. Baird, and a $20 gold-piece was found in his room. A gold watch was also found in Mrs. Percival's room, from all of which it does not appear that plunder was the motive of the bloody deed.

     The coroner's jury, which began its investigation at noon on Monday, consisted of Dr. J. H. Binney, S. H. Penney, I. A. Beagle, G. W. Rogers, Hugo Vogle and E. D. Gould. It continued industriously at work taking testimony up till Wednesday, when it adjourned till Saturday.

     Various theories are predicated by different persons on the many circumstances of the case as to who the bloody demon or demons were that perpetrated the quadruple crime, but since the body of Baird has been found, and other circumstances of the case have developed, it is hardly necessary to say, so long as the dead body of Mr. Furnivall is not found, a common victim with the others of an unknown crimson devil or more, a suspicious finger will point to him as the man who, with or without accomplices, has made his memory as dark as human crime can make it.

     A reward of $1,000 has been offered by the county for the arrest of the murderer. Furnivall, the missing and suspected man, is about twenty- three years old, five feet eight inches high, sharp features, sandy hair, light or rather florid complexion and a little freckled, of erect carriage, pleasant and smiling countenance, and weighs 140 pounds. He has a marked English accent, and has an anchor tattoed on one of his arms. He is supposed to have worn away Baird's coat and Mair's hat.

     The first telegrams that went out from here after the discovery of the murder for the arrest of the perpertrators were undoubtedly based upon the theory that if either Baird or Furnivall should be found dead -- a common victim with the others -- it would be Furnivall, and that it was most likely that Baird was the fugitive from justice, if either of them, and while it is true that a general description of one would not be entirely inapplicable to the other, it is believed that Baird was in mind of the senders of the first messages. But since he has been identified among the dead he can not be found hiding from justice among the living.

     Later -- As we go to press it is whispered that a telegram has been received by Sheriff Zibble that Baird has been arrested somewhere in Missouri, and that the sheriff, in the belief that the man arrested is Furnivall, is telegraphing to ascertain if there is any truth in it, and if so, will go after his man.


     The Flood-Gates Are Opened on Saturday Evening and the Country Is Flooded -- Grain Lodged -- Corn Blown Down In Part of Nance, Boone and Greeley Counties Destroyed by Hall and Wind -- The Dam Breaks at Fullerton and the Flouring Mill Is Engulfed In the Raging Waters.

     Saturday afternoon witnessed one of the heaviest rains which ever visited this county. About five o'clock in the evening a cloud as dark as night appeared in the northwest, and its rapid advance accompanied by the omnious roll of thunder and the lurid flash of lightning warned the people that a storm was approaching. The people were hurrying hither and thither, seeking to reach home before the storm and put everything in readiness for the coming blast. The storm soon struck the town, and although the wind was not as bad as it has been, the rain poured in torrents and for about three-quarters of an hour it seemed that the very flood-gates were let loose. The streets were flooded with water, but little damage was done in town save the breaking down of a few limbs of trees and the caving in of part of the walls of Mr. Standring's new brick store, which were in process of erection. The walls were green, and the water rushing in from the rear caused a break in, both side walls of about twelve feet, the brick falling into the cellar. The remaining walls were left standing in good condition, so that the loss will not be very great. The damage by the storm in the country about this city was not very extensive. Several windmills were blown down and grain somewhat damaged by being lodged. But the great disaster came to Fullerton on Sunday. The mass of waters which had been deposited at the





On my list I have over 10000 acres of farm land located in Nance, Boone, Greeley and Howard Counties.

A special list of Western Nebraska and Montana wheat lands.

A large assortment of Western and North Nebraska cattle ranches.

Since January First, 1916, I have sold and exchanged over $400,000.00 worth of property and every customer is more than satisfied.

No matter what you wish I am prepared to help you locate to your very best advantage.

Office with W. L. Rose, Umstead Bldg.

Office Phone 5         Residence Phone 9


Page Forty-seven

Previous pageSpacerTOCSpacerNext page

© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller