M. E. CHURCH, BELGRADE
greater gifts. The town was laid out by Captain Daniel J. Strout, on his farm in the year 1878, a year before Nance county was organized, and was a small trading point, with only one store and postoffice, until 1892, when the town began to grow and other enterprises were added, since which time it has had a healthy and constant growth. In the last few years there has been erected a number of handsome and substantial business buildings, besides many fine residences.
Belgrade is lighted by electric lights, the electric plant also pumping the city water, both of which valuable improvements are owned by the town. These plants are equipped with the latest machinery, and the service is very satisfactory.
There are good schools and churches of different denominations, making it an Ideal home town.
Genoa and Belgrade are well located and thriving towns in Nance county; also North Star, which is in the west end, and whose general merchandise store is owned by Swanson Bros., being well patronized by farmers in that vicinity.
is situated near the center, north and south of the
eastern border of Nance county, at the foot of the bluffs or
hills which form the east terminal boundary of the lovely
Beaver valley and the north limit of the Loup prairie near
where the former silvery stream loses itself in the board
expanse of the latter's turbulent waters. The location of
the towns is as picturesque and enchanting as can be found
in the state. From the summit of the neighboring hills the
eye wanders east and northwest, along where the glimmering
waters of the Loup dance and sparkle in the sun's bright
beams, over miles and miles of grassy meads, verdant groves
and fertile plains, where may be seen scores of cottages,
farms and stock ranches. The view presented, like a vast
panorama, is one to charm the traveler, and of which the
oldest residents never grow weary.
hundred, exclusive of the inmates of the government
school, and it comprises as respectable, intelligent and
moral a community as may be found in any city in the land.
Of churches, schools and societies we have our share, and
will speak of them in their place.
BELGRADE A THRIVING TOWN.
Situated on the higher land above the Cedar River, and overlooking the beautiful Cedar Valley, which is one of the most fertile valleys of the west, Belgrade basks in her present prosperity, and looks serenely to a future that can bring her only
W. L. ROSE
BELGRADE OPERA HOUSE
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 by Ted & Carole Miller