spacer

NEGenWeb Project
Nance County, Nebraska

Genoa City Web Site 

Genoa, Nance County, Nebraska

 

Description from the 1890 U. P. R. R. Gazetteer

Genoa is a thriving village on the O. N. & Black Hills branch of the U. P. Ry., at the junction of the Albion & Cedar Rapids branch of the same road in the eastern part of Nance county, 14 miles from Fullerton, the county seat. It is situated in the stock and grain growing section of the state, large shipments being made of both products. There is here established an Indian Industrial School, sustained by the government with 250 pupils, of which 150 are males. The grounds pertaining to the school cover 320 acres and are beautifully laid out an ornament to the village. The main building covers 6,000 square feet, built of brick and was originally tile school of the Pawnees. In 1884 this building was enlarged and is at present used for the main school room and dormitories. An additional building was recently completed for use as school rooms and dormitories. two stories of brick size 40x60. Other buildings contain the dining room, carpenter, shoe, tailor and harness shops, the laundry, hospital, stables, warehouses and farm buildings. The whole is under the supervision of W B. Backus, superintendent; J. M. Perrigo, assistant superintendent; Byron Dieffenbach, clerk; E. C. McMillan, physician; Mrs. W B. Backus, principal teacher; Wm. Thiel manager tailor department; Wm. Civish, manager shoe department; Hubert McFayden, industrial teacher; W. F. Beckett, manager harness shop; A. J. Arnold, manager broom factory; Ole Oleson, manager carpenter shop; Edwin Hoare, farmer. Teachers: Miss Susie M. Jones, Mrs. Eleanor W. Nelson, A. J. Tabor, jr., A. B. Holmes; Miss Anna Williamson, matron; Mrs. Martha Knox, assistant matron; Volney Wiggins cook; Mrs. V. Wiggins, laundress. The pupils come from all the various tribes of Indians, the most numerous being the Crows, Omahas, Apaches, Pawnees, Wyomings, Sioux, Winnebagos, Arapahoes, Arickorees, etc. The Pipe of Peace is a five-column quarto paper published monthly at the school by Indian printer boys. The population of the town is about 1,000, exclusive of the inmates of the Indian school. The grain elevator here has a capacity of 14,000 bushels daily and a storage capacity of over 100,000 bushels. The Motter House has recently been renovated and remodeled, and under new management is giving good satisfaction to the traveling public. The oldest newspaper in Nance county is published, the Genoa Leader by John F. Bixby. It is live and progressive. Churches are the Methodist, Rev. T. W. Owen; Congregational, Rev. Robert Killip, and a society of Friends.

1890 Residents: Business -- Farmers

Street Map of Genoa

Map

See Genoa page from "Nebraska ... Our Towns" project by UNL


Genoa Addresses

Genoa Post Office
509 Willard Ave
PO Box 9998
Genoa, NE 68640-9998
(402) 993-3401

spacer

Genoa City Library
421 Willard Ave
Genoa, NE 68640
(402) 993-2943

Genoa City Museum
402 Willard Ave.
Genoa, NE 68640

Historical Site Markers at Genoa

Historical markerspacerHistorical markerspacerHistorical marker

(Click on thumbnail to view full size picture)

 The Indian School at Genoa, NE (website)
Photos 1999

 Churches at Genoa, NE
photos 2004

The Amber Moore Collection
about 1947


Nance Co.

© 1998-2007 by Ted & Carole Miller