Nemaha City is in the eastern part of Nemaha county, on the Nemaha division of the B.& M.R.R., about 10 miles southeast of Auburn, the county seat, and has a population of 400. A fine flour mill, an elevator, a brick and tile manufactory, a hotel, a bank, etc., are evidences of industrial prosperity. The Nebraska Advertiser is published by W. W. Sanders. The post office was established April 1, 1856. Peak population was in 1880 with 475 inhabitants. Town named for the county and river. The town has an excellent school house and well attended churches. The latter are the Christian, Methodist and Episcopal.
Argabright G V, ins Aynes Bros, hardware, furniture, implts Bennett bros, props Nemaha City Roller Mill Bourne Ed A, atty, notary public Bourne Joseph W, phys Bourne & Fairbank, druggists Bourne J W Mrs. millinery Clark Wesley H, livery Crother J E, harness, shoemaker Cummings S C Mrs. prop Park House Drain J F & Skreen J, meat market Farmers State Bank, H W Shubert pres, T B Skeen Vice-pres, G V Argabright cashier Faux C P, bakery and restaurant Finch Thomas B, blacksmith Frazier David, live stock Gilbert Stephen, genl mdse Hill Theodore, mgr Nebraska City Elevator Co Hoover M J, notions Hoover Opera House, Miller & Sanders props Huntington Stephen A, blacksmith Kerker & Hoover, meat market Littrell Joseph H, groceries, shoes Maxwell Wm J, restaurant Miller & Sanders, mgrs Hoover Opera House Minick Hiram O, genl mdse Neal B T, livery Nebraska Advertiser (The), W W Sanders prop Nebraska City Elevator co, Theordore Hill mgr Nemaha City Brick and Tile Co, J Marlatt pres, Samuel S Laughlin mgr Nemaha City Roller Mills, Bennett Bros props Park House, Mrs S C Cummings prop Rhodes Wm, barber Sanders Geo N, harness Sanders Wm W, prop The Nebraska Advertiser Schardt & Taylor, flour mill Taylor John W, durgs, postmaster Titus & Williams, genl mdse Wedel Wm, painter Welch J A, drugs Wheeldon H A, sta agt B.&M.R.R. Worthing Martha Miss, dressmaker Zook O C, poultry farm
Peru is on the banks of the Missouri river, in the northeastern part of Nemaha county, 10 miles from Auburn, the county seat, and on the line of the B.& M.R.R., passing through Nemaha to Nebraska City. It has a population of 450. (Peak population was in 1970 with 1,380 inhabitants.) Post office name changed from Mount Vernon Oct. 9, 1867. Named by early settlers who came her from Peru, Illinois. Mount Vernon Acedemy, a Methodist institution founded in 1861, became Peru State Normal in 1867 by legislative enactment. Today it is the State Normal school and has several hundred pupils in attendance. There is considerable activity in building affairs at present. Two brick yards are in operation. Quarries of good building stone are in the vicinity, the products of which are sent to various parts of the state. The neighboring country is in an excellent state of cultivation and yields abundant crops for shipment. The Peruvian, published by J.G. Sanders, is published weekly and keeps the citizens posted in the latest news.
Abbott Warren D, drugs, paints, photographer Ash Alonzo C, barber Ashley & Davidson, millinery and dressmaking Buck Edward H, hotel Catterlin David W, photographer Farnham George L Prof, principal State Normal Foster L J, sta agt Gillian C W, justice Glasgow Sterling P, postmaster Graver L A Mrs, millinery Hutchinson Jesse H, livery Jack David, genl mdse Mardis Wm W, shoes, groceries Mears Henry M, genl mdse, lumber, brick mfr Neal & Son, phys, druggists Peruvian (The), John G Sanders prop Phelps Wm, shoemaker Prouty Francis L, real estate Prouty J A Mrs, dry goods, millinery Rhodes John, barber Sanders John G, prop The Peruvian Scott J H F, blacksmith Smith R B, justice Vance James A, groceries Wann Benjamin, meat market Whitfield Bros, agl implts, furniture Williams Thomas F, harness Wyne John C, blacksmith York W R, meat market, brick mfr
Podunk, post office name changed from Howard May 15, 1880; name changed to Brock Feb. 13, 1882. Probably whimsically called Podunk because of lack of a suitable name. This name generally used informally to characterize a small, unimportant, isolated community.
Saint Deroin, a postoffice in the extreme southeastern part of Nemaha county, near Rulo. Population, 80. The post office was established March 23, 1854; discontinued April 15, 1910. This former town, one of the oldest in Nebraksa, was washed away by a Missouri River flood in 1911. Named in honor of Joseph Deroin, who owned the land on which the town was built.
Chance Stephen, flour mill
Hunt F H D, genl mdse
Robbins Mary A, postmaster
Woodring Allen, blacksmith
Sheridan post office established Aug. 21, 1867; name changed to North Auburn June 8, 1882. Probably named in honor of Phil Sheridan, Union general.
Sherman post office established March 22, 1866; name changed to Bedford April 27, 1880. Probably named in honor of William Sherman, Union general.
Shubert, a station on the Nebraska division of the B. & M. R. R., in the northern part of Nemaha county, seven miles from Nebraska City. Population, 300.
Agnes & Harper, agl implements, hardware. Cloyd A D, phys, drugs. Colglazier, Jones & Co, genl mdse. Colglazier Mollie, milliner. Hess & Shubert, blacksmiths. King & Henderson, genl mdse. Klingberger Carl, blacksmith. McCreary J C , postmaster, notary public. Morris John, harnessmaker. Norton O G, station agent.
South Auburn post office name changed from Calvert June 8, 1882; annexed to Auburn May 28, 1899.
Willowdale post office established Oct. 5, 1878; discontinued March 20, 1891. Probably named for its location near a small valley where numerous willow trees grew.
Copyright © 1998-2002 Nemaha Co. NEGenWeb
Web page by Marlene Stillahn