The airport was built in 1946 and was closed in August 1956.
Floyd Pankonin built and operated this airport. He was an aerial crop duster from 1946-1974 and sprayed most of Perkins and Keith Counties.
He also flew the *air ambulance*. Prior to the Hospital being built in Grant, Dr. Ernest Colglazier had an *in home* hospital. Any patient with a serious problem had to go to Lincoln or Denver. Floyd was ready to go with a call from Dr. Colglazier.
Notice the open building off the tip of the wing, it was the orginal hanger for the airport, it housed aircraft long after the cement block hanger was built. The square building in the back ground is Perkins Co. High School.
The white building was the office of the airport, it was later moved to the left side (west) of the hanger building. This picture was taken approximately 1947. And the item between the car and the hanger is the *gas* pump. The airplane is a Taylorcraft.
This page last modified on Sunday, 04-May-2008 09:38:19 MDT
Copyright © 1996-2003 Perkins Co. NEGenWeb
Created by R. J. Christensen