Search billions of records on

Vol. 10-4

Winter 2001

The Holdrege Area Genealogy Club

P.O. Box 164

Holdrege, Nebraska 68949

Meetings held at the

Phelps County Historical Museum

on the first Monday of the month at 2:00 PM.

The public is welcome!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



            U.S. General Land office Books on Microfilm of Phelps and Harlan County Nebraska.


            1870 Nebraska Census Index book


            L.D.S. Research Outlines and State Ancestral

            Hunting license Guides of the United States.


            The Platte River, An Atlas of the Big Bend Region.


            Holdrege High School Class of 1947 Booklet.


            Holdrege High School Class of 1949

            Anniversary Booklets for the classes 25th, 35th, 40th, 45th and 50th

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


We will soon be publishing a revised and updated edition of Harlan county Cemeteries. We appreciate the work that Ben Boell has done to make this publication possible.

Many of our members spend untold hours on special projects and volunteering at the Don O. Lindgren library at the Nebraska Museum. Your help is very much appreciated.

We wish to thank Charles Johnson, Holdrege, Nebraska for his donation of $500 to the Don O. Lindgren library and his gift of an original plat of Phelps Center, Nebraska. Charles Johnson's grandfather, Frank Halgren donated the land for Phelps County's second County Seat. Part of the money has been used to frame the map and the rest will be kept for future expansion of the library.

Our staff at the library has been reorganizing the shelves of the library to make additional room. The Nebraska County section has been moved to the Southeast corner.

We appreciate those who have donated to the Library. We wish to continue finding additional material on Phelps County and other counties in South Central Nebraska. Some books on our wish list are atlases and histories from Gosper, Harlan, Kearney, Franklin and Buffalo Counties and the 1885 Nebraska Atlas.

Your President, Sandra Slater

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


JULY 1921

Congressman Andrews Introduces Bill to

Donate Piece for Ornament

Phelps county will, no doubt, soon receive from the government a German cannon or field piece to be used for the decorative purposes and incidentally keep ever before her people the memory that once many of her young men and a few of her daughters, underwent hardships and privations, journeyed to a far-off land, some never to return, in the cause of right and humanity.

A bill has been introduced in the House of Representatives at Washington by Representative Andrews of this district authorizing the Secretary of War to donate to the county one German Cannon of field piece. This ordinance is one of those pieces captured by the American Army in France from the forces of the Germans and is being distributed over the country by the Government to be used for the purpose as above stated.

The piece, when the county receives it will, no doubt be erected on the courthouse grounds and will ever serve as a monument to the memory of Phelps County boys who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. When it is received, it is very probable that the County Board of Supervisors will arrange for a suitable program for the time of its unveiling. (Phelps County did receive the cannon and for years was located on the courthouse lawn. It was melted down for scrap metal during World War II.)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Who Took Homesteads or Timber Claims

From a list compiled by Lois Gitt in the 1980s

ANDREW ERICKSON - His daughter was Matilda Elizabeth who married Otto Lindstrom

PETER LINDSTROM - Located is Timber Claim 1 1/2 miles south of the present Sacramento. His son Otto Lindstrom lived there in later years.

ANDREW CRISTENSEN - Located 2 miles south of Sacramento Schoolhouse, which was built on his land.

C. L. CHRISTENSEN - Brother of Andrew Christensen took a timber claim north just across the road from his brother.

ANDREW JOHN SALL - Came to Lake Township in 1877. He was too young to homestead and had to wait until his 21st birthday. Andrew's wife was Ida Charlotte Lind. These folks were the parents of Gilbert Sall, who still lives on his father's Homestead. The place is one mile south and 3/4 west of the present Sacramento, NE. His brother August also homesteaded.

AUGUST SALL - Grandfather of Melvin Sall homesteaded where Mevin now lives. In the early 1880s, Melvin's father Algot Sall also lived on this place. Melvin's mother was Alma Josephine Lundquist. They had five sons: Alfred, David, Melvin, Gust and Lloyd and one daughter Alvera.

JAMES CLAY - Homesteaded across the road from the Sall's. He married Mathilda Peterson on December 1, 1886. Their children were Esther, Elmer, Delbert, Ernest and Myrtle.

ANDREW J. HULTQUIST - Homesteaded 1/2 mile west of the present Sacramento in 1876. This was Fred, Vic and Elmer Hultquist's grandfather. Fred's father was John Hultquist.

ANDREW J. SMITH - Homesteaded in 1876 in the section 1 1/2 miles north of Sacramento. His grand daughter and husband, Charles and Marilyn lived on this farm. Part of the land was a timber claim. Marilyn and Martha's Parents were Walter and Judith Smith.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


IN 1927

ATLANTA CAFE --Phone No. 18-- Cafes, Confectionery, Cigars and Tobacco, Ice Cream and Soft Drinks

ATLANTA CO-OPERATIVE EQUITY -- Phone 29 -- Elevators, Grain, Coal, Feed

ATLANTA EQUITY EXCHANGE--Elevators, Grain, Dealers

ATLANTA LUMBER COMPANY -- Phone 16 -- Lumber, Coal Builders Hardware

ATLANTA MEAT MARKET --Grocers, Meat Market, Poultry and Eggs, Cream

ATLANTA STATE BANK - Phone 23 --Banks, Insurance

H. M. AMBLER -- Barber Shop

F. L. DAVID --Phone 8 -- Groceries, Meat Market, Cream, Poultry

FAIRMONT CREAMERY CO., -- Cream, Poultry and Eggs

F. E. HAMMOND -- Phone 21 -- Hardware, Cream Stations, Groceries, Harness, Furniture

G. L. HENLINE -- Phone 9 -- Groceries, Dry Goods, Notions, Cream and Produce, Shoes, Hosiery.

J. S. HENLINE -- General Merchandise, Groceries, Dry Goods, Shoes


Mrs. W. G. McCREA -- Cafˇ, soft drinks

SCOFIELD DRUG STORE -- Phone 28 -- Drug Stores, Fountain Service, Toilet, Articles, Stationery, Oil, Paints, Wall Paper

WESTFALL BROTHERS -- Phone 52 -- Auto Dealers, Auto Accessories, Tires and Tubes, Tractors, Trucks, Acetylene Welding, Overhauling and Repairing, Filling Stations, Road Service

WINQUIST BROTHERS --Gasoline, Oils and Grease, Tires and Tubes, Auto Accessories



* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *




Abbott, Mrs. Sarah, Owner

Ainslie, P. W., depot agent, wife Everna, Bobby, 4, Renter

Ambler, H. M., barber, wife Elsie, James 18 months, Renter

Baker, Garnet, manager, of Farmers Elevator, wife Bertha, Renter

Baker, Mrs. Pauline, Owner

Baugher, J. I. Blacksmith, wife Ethel, Vernon 10, Elphie 6, Renter

Beckwith, J. E., garage man, wife Martha, renter

Beckwith, C. P., farmer, owner

Borden, Mrs. Louisa, Grace, Owner

Brockett, H. R., mechanic, wife Maude, H. R. Jr., 2, Renter

Brown, H. E., stock buyer, Henry, Owner

Case, Jasper, laborer, wife Nina, Violet, Renter

Case, W. F., real estate, agent, wife Nellie, Renter

Castor, J. laborer, wife Gladys, Esther 13, William 11, Virgil 8, Lulu 6, Earl 5, Opal 3, Arthur 19 months, Paul 3 months

David, F. L. merchant, wife Emma, Darryl 17, Dorothy 9, Dorris, 5, Renter

David, N. E., postmaster, wife Musetta, Marie 17, Everett, 15, Renter

Fadely, A. W., rural mail carrier, wife Maude, Lester 15, Maude 13,

Rowene 11, Ralph 8, Royal 6, Alvin Ray 18 months, Donald Paul 14 Days, Owner

Fitch, F. D., retired farmer, wife Genevieve, owner

Fulk, G., retired farmer, Owner

M. A. Fulk, bank cashier, wife Ida, Owner

Gepford, C. A., laborer, wife Elta, Donald 4, LaVona 2, Wilma, 2 months, Renter

Hammon, F. E., merchant, wife Florence, Owner

Hammon, Joe, retired farmer, Owner

Heldenmaier, Joseph Retired farmer, wife Sophia, Owner

Henline, G. L., merchant, wife Maisie, Joyce Henline, Royce Henline 3, Renter

Hennessy, Pat, retired farmer, wife Susan, Owner

Hodges, B., retired farmer, wife Jane, Owner

Hopkins, B. H., clerk, wife Addie, Leida Ruth 8, Renter

Hopins, E. R., auto salesman, wife Edna, Paul 8, Jeane 2, Renter

Hopkins, M. M., clerk, wife Idella, Howard 2, Renter

Hursh, J. C., manager of Seldomridge elevator, wife Inez, Renter

Ireland, George, retired farmer, wife Margaret, Owner

Jackson, Homer, drayman, wife Elva, Orvil, Helen 18, Kenneth 16, Melvadeane 13, Renter

Jackson, R. J. carpenter, wife Amy, Robert 11, Owner

Johnston, E. F., laborer, wife Beatrice, Geraldine 4, Lucille Johnston 3, Virginia Johnston 2, Renter

Johnson, William H., laborer, wife Tillie, Frances, Everett 16, Renter

Kernen, Fred, carpenter, wife Alice, telephone operator, Owner

Kearns, W. O. laborer, wife Harriett, Milo 18, Owner

Kyser, George, laborer, wife Elsie, Renter

Lockwood, L. L., dairyman, wife Ethel, Herbert 16, Louis 14, Ernest 12, Renter

Loftquist, A. M., laborer, wife Ada, Byron Roy 10 months

Louthan, John A. retired farmer, wife Effie, Owner

Martin, W. J. retired farmer, wife Evelyn, Owner

McCrea, Mrs. U. G., cafˇ owner, Ava 17, owner

McDougall, A. V., carpenter, wife Della, Katherine 13, Owner

Parish, J. R., Lumberman, wife Ada, Dorothy Mae 4, Renter

Parker, Charles, carpenter, wife Emma, Renter

Peterson, Hans, Retired, wife, Caren, Ernest C. 18, Owner

Prather, Frank A., superintendent of Schools, wife Gladys, Renter

Patterson, W., retired farmer, Owner

Rail, John, section foreman, Owner

Ranz, Henry, retired farmer, Owner

Read, J. H. manager of cream station, wife Azulah, Dale 18, Rent

Roberts, Mrs. Mary, Owner

Russell, LeRhue, laborer, wife, Elda, teacher

Satchell Rev. M. S., minister, wife Mrs. Satchel

Schlem, Aaron, laborer, Rosie, June 11, Ward 9, Renter

Scofield, Dr. H. B. doctor, wife Kate M., Renter

Siedschlag, Mrs. Minnie, Owner

Skewes, M. O., carpenter, wife Maude, Owner

Snodgrass, B. W., Carpenter and contractor, wife Lida, Gladys, teacher, Marguerite, Owner

Stairwalt, W. A., retired farmer, wife Hattie, Owner

Sterner, M. S., laborer, wife Edna, Owner

Stuart, Roy, Clerk

Sutton, Mrs. Catherine, Flanders, laborer, Renter

Taylor, S. F. laborer, wife Louisa, Martha, Orin G., laborer, Owner

Tunison, Abram, farmer, wife Minnie, Owner

Westfall, L. A., garage, owner, wife Medora, Melba 7, Laverne Jr., 3, Owner

Westfall, Samuel, retired farmer

Wilgus, E. W., garage man, wife Anna, Ford 11, Carl Eugene 8, Renter

Williams, H. E. manager of the light and water works, wife Olga, Alice 16, Marguarite, 14, Edith 12, Stanely 10, Robert 6, Kenneth 4, Neil 3

Winquist, W. H., service station, wife Mabel, Lorrine 7, Maurice, Renter

Zimmerman, Ben, laborer, wife Irene

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


June 7, 1882


We hope that the women who edits, or thinks she does, the woman's column in one of the Kearney papers, didn't have reference to us when she spoke "of a one-horse county editor." We presume we are the only editor in these parts who oppose female suffrage, consequently we put on the shoe she as taken off, and it fits to a nicety -- just a little large though. "One house Editor," indeed! We never owned a horse in all our life -- not even a sawhorse. And she says "and others" Now this must mean C.N. Sears, S. A. Dravo, Peter Peerson, J. P. Hymer, P. O. Hedlund, George Hymer, Charley Backman, John Crossley and Deacon Don Johnson. None of these gentlemen profess to know as muse as this great editress. Not any! Not for Joseph! But the boys are modest, dear creatures. As we are an old bachelor -- forty-six winters having passed over our head-- and she is an old maid, we have a fellow feeling for her. Not that we are any older than she, but because we reverence hair that is gray when it isn't colored. We hope that she may live long in the land and prosper in her chosen profession, i.e. of hating something she can not obtain, viz.: a man. And we desire to distinctly understand that we are not a horse. We are a mule, Come again and get kicked dear.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Phelps Union Sunday school convened June 4th in regular order, conducted by Superintendent. King. Members present, 15, teachers, J. P Hymer and Mrs. P. O. Hedlund. School dismissed to meet next Sunday at 2 P.M. Lesson: the afflicted child, Mark 9:14-32.

Jim Hymer was at Kearney last week. While perambulating through a dry good store, he espied "new style collars." He purchased three boxes.

When he returned home, he presented Don Rolf Johnson with a box, saying, "Here Rolf, are collars new style, you know! None of the boys have em yet. We are first in the field." Rolf was profuse in his thanks, and when he visited his home he wore one of them, he called the attention of his mother to the "new style collar." She, with a merry twinkle in her eyes, pleasantly remarked, "Why son, that style collar was worn before you were born. Upon examination the mystic words, "Patented in 1854 convinced Don of the veracity of the statement. Since then the boys go out of the rear of the hardware store and practice each day, an hour, trying to kick themselves to death. Old Style "choakers"--that was all.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


(Part 1 of a 2 Part Story)

In Sweden every spot and every place has a name. The country is an old country and has numerous mementos of the past distributed here and there over the southern and central portions. While these remains and their names usually mean nothing or very little to the common people the names of their homes often described some peculiarity whereby any little croft, spot or locality, could be identified. C. J. Lundquist was born March 9, 1840, on the estate of Lagmans Quarn, near Oscarshamn, Smaland, Sweden. Lagmans Quarn means The Lawyer's Mill and it is easy to understand that the name has its origin because a flour mill stood on an estate belonging to a lawyer.

Lagmans Quarn was located in a rocky and mountainous section and the soil, where there was soil, was sandy and poor. There was plenty of heather, however, which grows in such soil. Heather is a weed pure and simple but it presents a beautiful aspect when in bloom. The flowers are small bells reddish purple or orange in color and a field of purple heather in bloom is a sight that should please any heart if it were not -known that it covers a barren spot of ground. Cattle will not eat heather and goats are the only animals that will touch it.

There is a beautiful legend about heather, which runs thus: When God created the plants and flowers he asked where each preferred to grow. The blue-eyed Linnea chose the woods; the Water Lily, the ponds and watercourses; the flaming Poppy, the fields and so on according as each believed environments and conditions best suited its needs, the heather alone hung back. When the Lord saw this He asked the Heather Plant where it wished to grow. The Heather replied, "If it pleases Your Infinite Wisdom and Goodness to let me cover the barren places, and the mountain sides, that is where I wish to grow. This reply so pleased the Lord that He not only allowed the plant to cover the sterile wastes but to beautifully decorate them as well. To this end he adorned it with innumerable small flowers. This is why a heather patch in bloom always presents a flaming sea of beautiful color. Patches of scrubby Junipers were abundant on Lagman's Quarn. Lingon berries, cranberries and blue berries also abounded. The territory roundabout had forests of pine and spruce.

The croft on which the family afterwards lived was called Engelholma and belonged to the Fredricksburg property owned by patron Hulthenheim. Lundquist was the 4th of nine children in the family. At an early age he was employed at the manor as errand boy and later was entrusted the driving of the oxen that were fast to the sweep- power of the threshing machine. Round and round for days at a time he drove the four magnificent oxen that turned the large cogwheel which kept the machine going. The threshing machine was located inside the barn where all of the grain in bundles had been housed. The power was outside, but under roof.

Lundquist's childhood home was just like thousands of other homes In Sweden in those days. It was one of the small buildings placed on a plot of land belonging to the patron for which a certain number of day's work; each year must be performed. He never went to school, but learned to read at his mother's knee by the light of pine faggots or tallow dips. His mother could not write and hence she could not teach him to write. For his parents, life was one continuous grind.

With scarcely any relaxation, every day was like every other weekday, Sunday was the only exception when services were attended in the Doderhult Parish Church. This church was a massive structure built in 1777 of granite and had large glazed windows. The walls were four feet thick at the ground. On the side wall under the ceiling were sculptured angel's heads with wings in the manner in which angels were represented in the olden days. Frescoes adorned the walls and the painting to the left. On entering the church, represented Christ on the Cross, A stairway led up to the pulpit which was fastened to the side wall high enough so that everyone in the church could easily see the preacher when he delivered his sermon. From this pulpit Mr. Lundquist heard many sermons by Rev. Carlstedt who held the charge by contract. This church, nevertheless massive and imposing as it was lacked the cheeriness of our American Churches. No fire was kept in the auditorium and the people oftentimes shivered with cold while listening to the sermon. In the sacristy, however, was a fireplace where a fire was kept on Sundays. There was no instrumental music and the singing was conducted by a hired leader who knew all the hymns of the Swedish "Psalm book."

Christmas in Sweden is the great holiday of the year. For its advent there is brewing and baking and house cleaning without end. In Lundquist's home the floors were scrubbed white and strewn with chopped juniper branches, the odor of which filled the entire house. Even the fireplace was washed and all smutch removed from its sides as well as from the millstone of which its bottom was composed. On Christmas matin services were held in all churches of Sweden. Lundquist attended "Julotta," as it was called, in Doderhult Church which was located about one-fourth Swedish mile (a little more than one and one-half English miles) from his home. It was the custom to carry flambeaus while on the way to matin service, Christmas morning. This was a beautiful custom and spectacle, especially if the night was dark, was inspiring. Then these flaming torches were seen every where, moving up and down the hills, winding around in the valleys and threading through the arches of overhanging limbs of trees bordering the forest paths. If Venus was morning star, on such an occasion, the scintilating flame of her light rivaled the waving flames of the torches over the crisp and sparkling snow, on which the churchgoers traveled. If the Aurora Borealis was visible, its sublime beauty was also added to the already grand panorama. Clouds of pale yellow washed the deep dark blue of heaven and through this, majestically and slowly, streamers of red and purple rose until the snows on the hillsides blushed in the reflected light.

But the people eventually reached the church and the torches were all thrown in a pile where they formed a miniature bonfire and were consumed.

Lundquist relates how these torches were made. About thirty fine splinters of pitch pine were tied together in a bundle by means of withes and by sticking a like number of additional splinters in the end of the torch and tying them also the torch could be made much longer. In fact, torches fifteen feet long were not unusual. The flame was kept alive by presenting the lighted end toward the wind or breeze.

But there was always a shadow on the celebration of Christmas. There was more or less drinking and under the influence of liquor, men do things that they, in their sober condition will not do. Some of the men who attended Christmas matin were more or less under the influence of liquor, and if they did not go to sleep during the sermon they certainly were not attentive listeners. Lundquist says that these drunks often dropped buttons and nails into the contribution baskets when these were passed around and seemed to be overjoyed at their own cleverness in doing so.

At the age of eleven Lundquist assumed charge of the croft. The family had three cows, twelve sheep, a pig and a horse, but the horse died. They secured an ox team of medium size in its stead. One of the oxen was white and red, the other red. There was a plow on the place made on the order of a lister, but supplied with a pole that reached up to the yoke of the oxen. A double wagon, made by Lindquist's brother-in-law, also belonged to the equipment. This was the best wagon owned by any crofter on the entire estate. In the complement of farm tools on the place was also a homemade wooden harrow with wooden teeth. These teeth were of spruce and had knobs on the top end to prevent them from falling through the holes in the frame of the harrow. The wooden tooth harrow was more practical than an iron-toothed one would be on a field with stones, as a broken tooth could more easily and more quickly be replaced than one made of iron.

The principal crop on the Lundquist croft was potatoes, but oats, rye, barley, wheat and peas were also raised. Grain was cut with a cradle and threshed with a flail on a long threshing floor during the winter, and the colder the weather the better the grain came out of the straw. The flail consisted of two hardwood sticks fairly heavy. In the end of the handle part was an iron pin, which went through a heavy leather strap on the end of the striking part. In the threshing, the instrument was swung in such manner as to make the striking part whirl on the pin of the handle in a circle, over the operator' head, in such a way that it came down with a heavy thump on the sheaves on the floor. Women as well as men threshed grain with the flail and woe be to the careless or inexperienced handler of the instrument if, by a slip or a miscalculation, the striker should be hit on the head.

Threshing was often done by the light of a lantern, in the yet dark hours of the morning, beginning as early as three or four o'clock a. m. although only enough grain was raised for family use threshing was a tedious and tiresome job. Walking back and forth along the sheaves on the floor hammering as one walked produced many a sore and stiff back and there was always a feeling of relief when threshing was over with. Grain threshed with a flail was cleaned by winnowing. This was done by "casting" against the wind, which was admitted through an open door or window in the walls of the threshing floor.

At the age of fifteen Lundquist began to do work at the manor. His first task was to fell trees enough to make fifteen logs twelve feet long. These were saw logs and were afterwards reduced to dimension lumber and boards at the sawmill.

Lundquist helped to fell trees for shipmasts and he tells of the careful manner in which this was done. The trees chosen were spruce and necessarily were straight, sound, and free from large limbs and knots. These masts were 100 feet or more in length and were very heavy. Great care had to be exercised in felling them as the trees broke if they fell on any unevenness of ground. To guard against breaking the trees a "bed" was made for them to fall upon. This was made of brush and often required days to get ready. All unevenness of the ground had to be calculated and the hollows padded so that the trees could not spring into them. After clearing away old limbs the masts were sledded out of the woods in this manner: Under the heavy end a strong bobsled was placed to which oxen were hitched. If the path or road on which a mast was hauled was crooked a truck of heavy rollers was placed under the lighter end. This truck was pivoted and had a beam extending backward by means of which it could be made to travel either to the right or left thereby steering it as it traveled onward. These mast were either sold to ship owners in Sweden or were sent out of the country. When a mast was started for the coast there was no rest until it was delivered. On, on, the oxen traveled. On, on, the men trudged straining and steering, night and day, until tile ships were reached. At one time Mr. Lundquist delivered a whole complement of masts for a ship and on turning over the last one he said to the captain, "'And that's that, and I am glad of it. It's a hard job to deliver a whole set at one time," But the captain said, "Not so fast, young man. These are only the spare masts kept in reserve in case of accident. They have been stored away for safekeeping. I am going to need another entire set that goes to rig up the ship before I sail." This set Lundquist also hauled.

Lundquist's mother died soon after his majority and on December 31, 1864, he married Christine Marie Nystrom. Living in the home place for about three years a daughter and a son were born them. Then the couple moved to a place called "Udden" and here a son, Walfred, and a daughter, Anna, were born. Udden was a small place be- longing to the Kristinaberg property owned by patron Peterson who beside this possessed a number of sea going vessels. Peterson also traded in lumber, masts and props.

(This story on C.J. Lundquist

will be continued next issue.)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

~Harlan County Nebraska~

More on First Pioneers to settle in Freewater, Harlan County, Nebraska

Information from research done by Lester Golter

for his book "Freewater Where I Grew UP".

GEORGE A. STARK -- George A. Stark of Princeton, Ill. Born October 14, 1846 at Newark, New Jersey, married Emma Augusta Alford, born February 11, 1848, on February 20, 1872. One child, Mary H. was born to George and Emma Stark. May later married J. A. Thompson of Hastings, Nebraska. In June of 1898, Mr. and and Mrs. Stark took a child into their home, Mrs. Laura Vaughn of Kansas City.

In 1879 the Stark family moved to Harvard, Nebraska where they lived for three years, then moving into Freewater community living there several years before purchasing the Jamison property must south of Wilcox, Nebraska. George A. Stark receive his patent from the United States Government on November 28, 1890 for the NW 1/4 of Section 25, Township 4, Range 17. (Our Farm) On October 25, 1902 this land was deeded to Adam Termin.

 Mrs. Stark died November 25, 1930 at her home at age eighty-two years, nine months and fourteen days. Interment was at Hastings. After her death Mr. Stark continued to live in his home for some time. The Wilcox Herald of October 22, 1936 states: George A Stark, a pioneer of Harlan County, who now make his home with his daughter, Mrs. J. A. Thompson at 740 North Colorado Avenue, Hastings, celebrated his ninetieth birthday, last week. Mrs. Thompson says, although her father has been an invalid for more than a year, he reads without glasses, and looks forward each

week for "the little home town paper".

1883--Joseph H. Herndon was born November 14, 1884 in Mahaska County, Iowa, the third child of George W. and Rhoda Herndon. In 1855 the family moved to Missouri where Joseph grew to manhood. Joseph married Amanda E. Palmer, daughter of William and Charlette, Palmer, who also moved to Missouri in 1855 from Indiana.

In 1883 the Herndons' sold their farm in Missouri and Joseph and Amanda moved to a homestead in Antelope Township, Harlan County, Nebraska. Joseph H. Herndon received his Patent from the United States Government for the NW 1.4 of Section 26, Township 4, Range 17, on December 8, 1890. The family consisted of Rhoda F., George W., Clara A., Estella E., Hattie L., Gracie Jane Edward E., and Roy D. The Herndon's religion was Baptist.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *



Alma is the county seat of Harlan County, and is located on Cook Creek in the southeast portion of the county. It is about 6 miles distant from Republican City, and the same from Orleans. It was laid out in 1873 by M. Jurell, and was resurveyed in 1876, being the property of now of C. R. Willits. It was named after Alma Cook, daughter of M. P. Cook, an earlier settler in the county. The child was passed away and the town, if not revived by a railroad, will soon do likewise. The present population is 30. It holds its dignity as the county seat through the jealous rivalry of other towns, and it is probable that litigation now in progress will soon lead to the relocation.


Judge - A. C. Robins

Clerk - W. Downs

Treasurer - James Billings

Sheriff - S. D. Main

Coroner - G. Dean

Superintendent Public Instruction - J. W. Lohr

Commissioners - S. M. Bowlers, J. H. Olson, V. B. Been


Alma House, G. C. Borden, Proprietor

Billings & Dawson, Ag Implements

Borden, G. C. - Proprietor of Alma House

Dixon, Jacob - hardware

Guyer, L. E., postmaster and general merchandise

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *