ST. JOHN’S LUTHERAN CHURCH

Pierce, Nebraska

 

St. John’s Lutheran Church, located 2 miles east of Pierce, has the distinction of being the first organized church in Pierce County. 

 

The early settlers, a group of German Lutherans from Wisconsin, located in the valley of the North Fork of the Elkhorn River in 1869.  Within a short time more Lutherans from Germany and Illinois made their way to Pierce County.   The Rev. A. W. Frese of Rock Creek, Cuming County, Nebraska was “Missionary at Large” for the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod in the northeast area of the state. 

 

In July 1871, Christ Lutheran Church in Norfolk called its first resident pastor, the Rev. J. C. Rupprecht.  His duties included travel to Pierce.  Under the guidance of Pastor Rupprecht, the Pierce Lutherans withdrew from Christ Lutheran in Norfolk and organized a separate congregation on October 23, 1871.

 

Thus, St. John’s Lutheran Church conducted the baptisms, marriages and burials of the earliest settlers of Pierce County.

 

A microfilm of the complete church records is available for viewing at the Pierce (Nebraska) Public Library.

 

Baptismal Records

July 1871 – August 1878

 

September 1878 – November 1882

 

May 1884 – December 1887

 

Burial Records

January 1872 – March 1884

 

1884 - 1892

 

Confirmation Records

1872-1882

 

Marriage Records

St. John Marriages

 

 

Back to Pierce County Home Page