Search billions of records on

Platte Co., NE - 1898 News NEGenWeb Project
1898 News

A special thank you to the Columbus Telegram for permission to reprint articles of interest for the NEGenWeb Project. Please check back weekly to learn what was in the news 100 years ago in Platte County, Nebraska.

Departed this life, at the Sibletz Indian agency in western Oregon, where she held the position of matron, on Nov. 26th, 1898, after an illness of four days, of acute pneumonia, Mrs. Ermengard (Cotton) Fox in the 32d year of her age; daughter of Wm. H. Cotton, a former well-known resident of Monroe township. The deceased resided and taught school for some time in Monroe and Butler townships; from the latter she removed with her husband to Oklahoma, where he met with his death by an accident, since which she has been engaged in educational pursuits in the west. One son survives her.
The work on the irrigation canal which runs through southern Nance and northern Merrick counties is being steadily pushed this winter, although the cold weather is interfering with operations somewhat. The company has ordered frost plows from the east and when they arrive the winter work will progress more rapidly and a larger force will be employed. It is the intention to have the canal completed to carry water for irrigation in the spring.—Central City Nonpareil.
Charles Welch, who has been teaching in the new school building in the Galley district, closed Friday’s session for the Holiday vacation, by special exercises adapted to the occasion. A goodly number of patrons of the school were in attendance.
Samuel J. Alexander, whose death was noted in last week’s Journal, had lived in Nebraska twenty years, most of the time in Monroe township. A short tine ago he came to Columbus. He leaves his aged wife and one son, George Alexander.
Olie Britell, Will Lehman and Fred. Williams are among the University students home for the vacation. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. December 28, 1898]

The new bank at Platte Center is to be a very solid institution, with R. S. Dickinson as president, and Chris. Gruenther as cashier.
The doctor was called Monday to see Mary Burke, young daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Burke.
Georgie Kummer, son of R. B. Kummer, is seriously afflicted with pneumonia. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. December 21, 1898]

Mr. Wagner has sold his eight-acre property west of Tannahill’s to Henry Crews. Mr. Wagner is about to sell his household goods at auction, and go back to Germany to live. This will be remembered as the Captain Wadsworth property. Last year there were sold off the place $60 worth of grapes and $50 worth of cherries. By the way, Columbus uses a great deal of fruit and there is a strong demand for much more than has yet been produced here--the home product being preferred before that brought in from other states. Mrs. Kinnan of Polk county sold wagon-loads of apples here last season, and John Tannahill eighty-seven bushels of cherries. Nebraska-grown fruit of all kinds has a specially fine flavor. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. December 14, 1898]

We are about to lose one of our best citizens in the person of Mr. William Nay who has decided to leave us and start a blacksmith and wagon shop at Monroe. His son Robert will assist him in the new field of labor. Mr. Nay has already purchased his tools, and started to build the shop last Tuesday. The family will not leave here until spring. We regret very much to have Mr. Nay leave us, but what’s Platte Center’s loss is Monroe’s gain and we wish him success in his new location.--Platte Center Signal. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. December 7, 1898]

Died. Johannes--Friday, November 25, 6:30 p.m., Henry Johannes, aged 64 years. Funeral Monday, the burial taking place in the cemetery at Loseke Creek church, a large concourse of people being present, Rev. Freese preaching the sermon. Mr. Johannes was born in Oldenburg, Germany, came to this country 31 years ago, and was one of the oldest settlers in his neighborhood. On Tuesday night of last week he suffered a stroke of paralysis, from which he did not recover. During most of his life, he had had remarkable good health. He leaves five sons and three daughters, who, with his widow, have the sincere sympathy of their friends in their bereavement.
Frank Galbraith, who lost an arm about a month ago as the result of a fall when stepping from a train, has been taken to St. Mary’s hospital.
Friday morning about four o’clock the firemen were called out to a fire at S. S. McAllister’s in the north part of town. A small stable, eighty chickens, garden tools, etc. were burned to the ground. Loss about $150. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. November 30, 1898]

Mr. Albert von Bergen has opened up a studio with H. F. Mielenz’s photo gallery, and is prepared to finish enlarged pictures in crayon, pastel, india ink and water colors. If you want work done before Christmas, call and see him.
The following was thought of sufficient importance to send it broadcast by telegram: J. R. Manning, living near Battle Creek, had ten hogs affected with cholera and to each hog was fed a pint of kerosene in a bucket of milk. Every hog recovered.
Miss Sarah Mylet and Miss Blanche O’Connor were applicants Saturday at the County Superintendent’s office for teacher’s certificates. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. November 23, 1898]

Fred Rickert, employed in the car department of the Union Pacific, had the misfortune to lose $105 in currency one day last week. He drew the money out of the bank to make a payment on some property which he was about to purchase, and finding that the papers were not yet ready concluded that he would keep the money with him until they were. Shortly before he reached home he discovered that his pocket book was missing. A diligent search over the route failed to find the missing treasure, nor has he since found any trace of it. He has a strong suspicion of where it went, but nothing positive. [The Weekly Telegram - Thur. November 17, 1898]

Mr. Wm. Ripp, the Monroe sugar beet raiser, says his beets are turning out better than when he first commenced to dig, he is now getting sixteen or seventeen tons to the acre. He says he will clear from six hundred to one thousand dollars on the crop including his beans. It will be remembered that Mr. Ripp pays five dollars per acre rent for the land. He is now expected to raise beets again next year.--Looking Glass.
Mel Watts was take suddenly ill Saturday night, since which time he has been confined to his home.
Joe Borowiak has not been out of the house but twice since his return home from Colorado. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. November 16, 1898]

Mrs. S. L. Bristol of North Platte died Thursday night at 11 o’clock, after a prolonged illness. Mr. and Mrs. Bristol were for some time residents here and only a few weeks ago moved to North Platte. The deceased leaves a husband and three children to mourn their loss.
Dr. McKean informs us that after Nov. 15, Dr. G. N. Wilcox of Chicago, will occupy his office. Dr. Wilcox is a graduate of the Chicago College of Dental Surgery. He comes highly recommended by Dr. McKean. The Dr. will locate permanently in Columbus. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. November 9, 1898]

George Engel had such good success last year with winter wheat (twenty-five bushels to the acre on twenty acres), that he has this fall put in forty acres, which he says is looking fine.
Louisa, the infant and only child of Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Mielanz, aged 14 months, died Sunday of cholera infantum, after an illness of one day. Funeral services will be held this (Tuesday) afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. Mielanz have the sympathy of their friends in their great loss. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. November 2, 1898]

Fred Reufenacht, a harness maker who has lived in the city for the past fifteen years or more, and who for nearly all of that time has worked for F. H. Rusche, died at his home in the eastern part of the city last Thursday evening. We are informed that his trouble was brain fever, and that he was sick only a few days. He was about 40 years of age and was born in Switzerland. He leaves a wife and four children. The funeral was held Sunday morning at the German Reformed church, Rev. De Gellar officiating, and the remains were interred in the Columbus cemetery. The sympathy of the entire community is extended to the bereaved family.
While driving over the Olive street crossing Monday afternoon Mart Postel’s horse stumbled on the railroad crossing and fell in such a manner as to break the shafts square off. The animal was entangled in the harness so that he could not rise until the harness was removed. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. October 27, 1898]

The clerk of the district court is busy preparing the bar docket for the coming term of court. There are about 200 civil cases on the docket, and the term will probably last three weeks. In the criminal docket there are about a dozen, none of any great importance except the cases of young Tshudy, Butcher and Laughlin, who are charged with stealing horses, and they will doubtless be taken up and disposed of as soon as court convenes.
The will of the late John Sholles was admitted to probate in the county court today. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. October 20, 1898]

Mrs. Robert Clapp, (nee Phonnie Cushing) returned Monday morning to her home at Fairbury, Neb., after a visit of several days with her parents.
Mr. D. Sullivan, of Harvard, Ill., who has been visiting relatives at Columbus and Albion, returned home Wednesday morning. Mr. Sullivan was much pleased with Nebraska and told his friends here that if it were possible for him to dispose of his dairying business in Illinois he would locate here. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. October 13, 1898]

Mr. A. T. Simmons is reported quite ill with a violent attack of hiccough. Mr. Simmon’s father died at an advanced age, we are informed, during one of these attacks of spasmodic inspiration, and as a consequence his friends regard his present illness with more than usual apprehension. He is now past 70 years of age.
Gorge [sic] Rohde and wife of Davenport, Ia., are visiting a few days with Carl Rohde. They have been attending the exposition.
Miss Josie Stundon of Maryville, Mo., and Miss Sadie Mahoney of Omaha, are visiting in the city with their cousin, Miss Mary Dineen. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. October 6, 1898]

David Adamson returned Tuesday from a three weeks’ visit with relatives in Iowa. Mr. Adamson wishes to sell his property here and intends to go to California.
C.W. Stonesifer has gone to Grand Island to engage in the restaurant business. Charley has had considerable experience in this line and will no doubt do well there. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. September 29, 1898]

Albert Herman, who lives on the Haney farm about six miles southeast of town, came in Tuesday and caused Charles Booth, a young man who had been working for him, to be arrested on a charge of adultery, alleging the deed to have been committed with his (Herman’s) wife at their home. Booth was arraigned on information Tuesday before Judge Robison, and pleaded not guilty, and asked for a continuance until Thursday at 2 o’clock. The amount of his bond was fixed at $500, in default of which he was committed to the county jail.
Harry Issit and Miss Sadie Elston were married at Lincoln last Thursday. They arrived home Friday evening and will at once commence housekeeping here. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. September 22, 1898]

Michael, the 18 year old son of Henry Mostak, five miles West of Duncan, died Wednesday last and was buried Thursday. We learn that he died of throat trouble. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. September 14, 1898]

A quarantine was placed on the residence of John Sullivan, near the Union Pacific round house, Monday evening. A six-year-old boy being afflicted with scarlet fever. The lad seems unfortunate, as only a short time ago he was scalded with some hot water.
Reuben Lisco of Duel county, a brother of Supervisor R. Y. Lisco, and a former resident of this county, was here a couple of days last week on his return home from Chicago. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. September 8, 1898]

A party of campers and hunters consisting of Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Wagner, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hagel, Miss Eva Gregorius, Fred Gregorius, Ben Brodfueher, Frank Schiltz and George Loshbaugh, left this morning for a couple weeks’ outing up in the sand hills. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. September 1, 1898]

One day last week, Frank, son of James Frazier, came to visit his father whom he had not seen for 17 years.
The former aquaintances Fred and Will Hess who were boys on their father's farm south of the river, will be interested to know of their whereabouts. Will graduated from a medical college in St. Louis in April and later joined the army as a surgeon from Salt Lake City, from which place he was sent to the front. Fred Hess is in the employ of the U. P. Company in Salt Lake City and is to be married September 7 to Miss Brownie Shaw of that place. The couple will be in Columbus the 9th on their way to Chicago, visiting the family of Mr. Hess' uncle, Lewis Jones. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. August 31, 1898]

Miss Mary Fitzpatrick, niece of the mayor, starts today for her home in Cleveland, Ohio.
Mrs. Leesley and children returned Monday to their home in Plattsmouth, after a visit with her brother, Ora Shannon.
Mr. M. Miller, returned yesterday from his trip east, including Canada, Niagara Falls, New York, etc. He brings his wife with him, whose maiden name was Katie Peterson, married at Chicago, July 3. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. August 24, 1898]

It is rumored around Columbus that Miss Florence Routson, of this city, and Ren Hake, formerly connected with the U.P. here were married at Omaha yesterday noon. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. August 18, 1898]

As Mrs. Frank VanAlstine was returning from taking her husband to work on the Ernst residence, at about one o’clock this afternoon, the horse she was driving ran away with her. Going down Twelfth street one of her children was thrown from the buggy in front of the Meridian hotel, escaping serious injury by a hairsbreath. In turning into Nebraska avenue, at the Clother, Mrs. VanAlstine and a baby were tipped out, and also escaped injury. The horse ran into watering trough at the park and was caught before much damage had been done to the buggy. [The Columbus Telegram - Thurs. August 11, 1898]

Ladies of the German Reformed church met at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Gass Thrusday evening, and had a very enjoyable time until midnight. Those present were: Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Lutz, Mr. and Mrs. L. Jaeggi, Mr. and Mrs. S. Marty, Mr. and Mrs. R. Siesie, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Falbaum, Mr. and Mrs. J. Staub, Rev. and Mrs. DeGeller, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gass, Mr. and Mrs. Aug. Metz, Mr. and Mrs. Ulrich von Bergen, Mrs. A Jaeggi and Mrs. J. Glur. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. August 10, 1898]

Miss Eula Rickly, Maud and Myrtle Parker, Pearl Mosgrove, Miss Florence Wilson of Nebraska City, Miss Emma Corneils, Miss Mary Henry, the Misses Taylor and Jesse Becher, Will Lehman, Guy Fox, Fred Williams, Irve Speice, Geo. Whaley, Foy Cornelius, J. G. Cox, Bey Martyn, Chas. Segelke with Mr. and Mrs. C. L. Stillman and Mrs. Chestnutwood, are camping on the banks of the Loup river, near Genoa. Their commissary is in good hands, and barring rain, they should have a good time, but their record at camping is like the Methodist picnics, most sure to presage rain. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. August 3, 1898]

There is another case of diphtheria in town, a child of the Peters family. The residence was quarantined Wednesday morning. Mr. Peters attended one of the children in the Baumgart family that was sick with diphtheria and he undoubtedly carried the contagion from there into his own family. If this disease is to be stamped out here it must be handled with extreme rigor.--Humphrey Democrat. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. July 27, 1898]

Last Thursday Mr. and Mrs. James Murray of Galva, Illinois, were in the city and took a drive out to Grand Prairie where Mr. Murray resided some twenty-two years ago. He is now the owner of a coal mine near Galva, and was the only owner that kept on good terms with the miners during the strike. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. July 20, 1898]

George Lehman of the Thurston is branching out, having purchased a bus for the exclusive use of his house. Now he will erect an ice-house and conduct a dairy to supply dairy products for his table. A new barn will also be erected, all of which will add to the value of his property. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. July 13, 1898]

Ed. Jenkins, and his ranch-helper, Barney Hassmann passed through the city Monday with 56 hogs and 23 head of cattle for the South Omaha market, getting the top price that day, 3.70 for the hogs, averaging 306 pounds, and 4.65 for the cattle, averaging 1223. The hogs were hauled from the farm to the station, eleven miles, during the night and were in fine shape. Mr. Hassmann may well congratulate himself on the success he has made, because many people who bought cattle last fall for feeding have lost money, instead of making several hundred, as Barney has done. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. July 6, 1898]

A letter from I. Sibbernsen to Mrs. Rasmussen, dated June 9, says that the Sibbernsen family had arrived safely in Denmark. Mrs. S. and Master Clarence were seasick seven days on the voyage, but Mr. S. and the other children remained perfectly well. They will return to Columbus in early autumn. [The Columbus Journal - Thur. June 30, 1898]

Mrs. Lois Mitchell, mother of Supervisor Wiggins, died at her home at Clearwater, Antelope county, on June 14, 1898, in her 75th year. She leaves two sons, John Wiggins of this city, and H. W. Mitchell, of Clearwater.
The reporter for the Telegram was out in the country about 35 miles northwest of here Saturday and found the corn, wheat, rye, barley and oats looking fine. Corn was over one foot high in many places and where it had been cultivated once looked clean. We did not see but one field of oats that had lodged and that was only one corner of the field. The barley was turning in many places and the fine hot days since will help to ripen it. We have never seen crops look any better in Nebraska than they do this season. [The Columbus Journal - Thur. June 23, 1898]

Harry Carns, a laboring man working for Pat Murray, came in town Thursday evening to have shoes put on a horse and it got late so he did not return home until Friday morning, and when he got as far as the old fish pond he was struck by the Albion freight, which leaves here at 6 o’clock. He was not found until about 8:30 by George and John Randall, lying with a part of his body in a pool of water and his head and shoulders on the railroad grade. The Randall boys came to town and secured the assistance of R. C. Boyd and two sons and R. L. Rossiter, who brought the injured man to the office of Drs. Martyn , Evans & Geer. His head was cut quite badly and seems to be hurt internally, and does not remember anything of the accident or how he came to be where he was. After the injured man was fixed up he was taken to the hospital, and it is believed he will recover. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. June 15, 1898]

Mr. W. E. Weaver, principal of the third ward school, left today for Morrison, Ill., to visit his parents during the summer.
The Occidental lodge K. of P. will hold memorial services at Maennerchor hall next Sunday afternoon at 2:30. Grand Chancellor Boydston will deliver an oration. Everyone is cordially invited to attend. The following graves will be decorated: F. G. Becher, J. W. Early, S. F. Davis, L. J. Cramer, O. H. Archer, John Stauffer, F. A. Calvin and Geo. McKelvey. [The Columbus Journal - Thur. June 9, 1898]

One day last week Sam Drinnin shot and killed two full-grown badgers that had been preying on Mrs. Drinnin’s poultry. There are also in the ravines some wolves that have been very annoying to the farmers hereabouts; young sucking pigs have been missing, one each night until whole litters have been taken, and last Sunday some boys with spades undertook to dig out some of the young cubs, when the old wolves put in an appearance and the boys set their dogs upon them but the wolves chased the dogs as soon as they were away from the boys. There were no young ones found in the burrow, but a large number of young pig skins and chicken feathers were found. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. June 1, 1898]

Sup’t Williams and his daughters, Ethel Henrich and Margery Williams, on Saturday evening attended the graduating exercises of the Platte Center school, Mr. Williams delivering the address to the class, consisting of Stasia Cronin, Florence Nay, Marguerite Regan, Scott Hopkins and Willard Hopkins. The subject of the address was: Success, and How to Achieve it. First, a purpose to succeed; second, honorable means to secure the purpose; third, industry or persistency in using the means. [The Columbus Journal - Wed. May 25, 1898]

Mrs. Sarah Parks, a lady 70 years of age, of Creston, has been reported to the insanity commission and will be investigated by that board soon.
William Irwin, sr., an aged veteran of the civil war, and one of the early settlers of Platte county, died at his home near West Hill, this county, on Saturday last, and his remains were buried Monday. At this writing we can learn no particulars--Journal. [Columbus Telegram - Thur. May 19, 1898]

Died--On Tuesday, May 10, 1898, Charles Huber, of consumption. The deceased was 40 years of ago and was the son of Colonel John Huber, and arrived here from California only a few days ago. The funeral was held yesterday at 3 o’clock p.m. from the M. E. church.
Misses Grace Hatfield and Louise Schmocker, the girls who ran away from home a few days ago, were brought home last Friday, penitent and willing to stay with their parents hereafter. All they went to the city for was to procure work, and were working in a hotel at Omaha when found. Their return was a great relief to the parents, who suffered great agony of mind during the absence of their children. [Columbus Telegram - Thur. May 12, 1898]

Mr. D. D. Shinn met with a rather distressing accident last Sunday morning. He was harnessing a team for Dr. Hansen when one of the horses kicked him, striking him almost squarely in the mouth. Thirteen teeth were found to be loose and his face more or less injured but Dr. Hansen fixed him up and he will be cured without leaving a blemish. [Columbus Telegram - Thur. May 5, 1898]

Mr. Scott Hopkins, George Scheidel, jr., and Oscar Nay came down on their bicycles last Sunday to bid goodbye to some of the Platte Center boys who have joined the militia. [Columbus Telegram - Thur. April 28, 1898]

Return to Platte Co. Home Page

Platte County NEGenWeb Project Page
This is a free site. © 2011 slb. This page may not be copied or distributed or accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright holder or the owner of this site. Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.