Search billions of records on

Platte Co., NE - 1903 News (Jan-Apr) NEGenWeb Project
News From 100 Years Ago
(Jan., 1903 - April, 1903)

The Columbus Journal, January 7, 1903
Joyce Hall of David City is visiting his brothers Rolla and Will Hall. Mr. Hall is one of the witnesses in the Lillie murder case.

Jonas Hedman, one of the old pioneers of this section, was in Columbus Monday from his farm near Genoa, looking in excellent health.

The many friends of Carl Reinke will be pleased to know that he has so far recovered from his recent serious illness as to make daily trips down town.

Charles and George Whaley have dissolved partnership in the steam laundry, the former retaining the business. George has not yet decided what work he will engage in.

Bernie, son of Charles Hudson, returned home last Wednesday from Raton, New Mexico, where he has been for several months past. He was employed with an uncle who has an opera house and printing office.

A.J. Smith returned home Thursday from Cedar Rapids where he has been employed with the Union Pacific in building the extension of that road to Spalding. He will hereafter occupy the position of conductor on the freight from Columbus to Norfolk.

L.R. Latham left Monday afternoon for Rochester, N.Y., where he was called by the serious illness of his aged mother.

Joseph Herrod comes here from North Platte to take the position of round house foreman with the Union Pacific company. He is a married man and will move his family to Columbus.

Dan Linnahn, who has held the position here of round house foreman with the Union Pacific for about eighteen months, left Monday for Beatrice where he will have a district foreman's position at a much better salary. The round houses at Valley, Valparaiso, Lincoln and Stromsburg will be under his charge. While Dan's many friends will be sorry to see him leave here, they will be glad to learn of his success.

H.H. Huntemann and family accompanied by Mr. Huntemann's mother, and Henry Quathaner and family, left Monday for Cordova, Maryland, where they will make their future home. R. Plugge and family left last Wednesday for the same place. Julius and Oscar Huntemann went several days ago, accompanying the two cars of freight shipped by the families. The Neboville neighborhood will lose some of their best farmers and the friends regret their removal from this county, but sincerely wish that they may be prosperous in their new location.

Accounts from other towns in regard to the scarcity of coal convinces us that Columbus has been especially favored in that line. The Schuyler Quill says: "The rush for coal Wednesday morning when a car load arrived resembled a football rush. When a freight arrived with a load consigned to H. C. Wright all the draymen in the city surrounded the car before it was set in place and each time the switch engine moved the car the dray men raced for the place. The car was practically empty before it was set."

The city council held their regular meeting last Friday. From the report of the city water commissioner it was found that there is due the city from the water fund for sprinkling the streets, the sum of $1,063.43. There is due from private parties the sum of $143.37. The West End Sewer Co. and the council are having a little trouble in regard to the payment of $20 which has been turned over to the city attorney for collection. On the 4th of July, 1901, George Cecil of Bellwood drove into an uncovered ditch of the West End Sewer Co. sustaining injuries to his horse and buggy. He sued the city for the sum of $120, which was finally reduced to $20 and paid by the city, and which the city now asks from the Sewer company. The council allowed bills to the amount of $774 for the month of December.

A few business houses in the city changed hands the first of the year. Charles Stillman sold his drug store which is one of the oldest established in this part of the state, to Charles H. Dack. The invoice was taken for the first of the year but the formal transfer of the business has not yet been completed. Mr. Stillman will remain in the city for some months and may decide to locate some place in Nebraska. He will retain his office of secretary for the State Pharmacists. Another change of business firms is the Fred Stevens livery barn, Mr. Stevens selling part of his stock of carriages and horses to his brother-in-law, Frank Hunkford, who has for some time had charge of the barn on west Thirteenth street. The Duffy feed store has been sold to Mr. Greenawalt of the firm of Drake & Greenawalt, the second-hand store operators opposite Friedhof’s. The transfer was made on the 1st.

J. F. Siems, the inventor of the natural hen incubator, was a business visitor to this office last Saturday. Few people know the extent of business Mr. Siems transacts on his farm four miles east of Platte Center. Several years ago he invented what he calls the "Natural Hen Incubator" and which, through a thorough system of advertising, has made him a rich man. Eastern agencies are employed to superintend and contract with papers and periodicals for their space. Mr. Siems tells us that his advertising, in one year, amounts to over $5,500. He advertised in 200 or more periodicals, 30 of which were poultry papers. His mail reaches up to as high as 800 letters daily. At his home on the farm Mr. Siems has four printing presses which he uses for printing his literature, part of the time running all at once. Last Saturday he received word that a patent had been granted him for a "Thermostet," an invention of Mr. Siems’ for the regulation of heat in an artificial incubator, which he has had in mind for about a year and a half. The "Thermostet" is contrived with alcohol and mercury and is so simple in construction that it seems surprising that something of the kind has not been thought of before. As soon as arrangements can be made Mr. Siems will contract for the manufacture and sale of the "Theramostet," which he has great faith in being a success. He says he believes it can be put on the market for $1 apiece. While in the city of Washington, D. C., last fall, Mr. Siems purchased a fine residence property and expects at some future time he will move to that city to make his home.

The trial of Mrs. Lena M. Lillie in David City, who is charged with the crime of murdering her husband, is still in progress, and will probably be continued through this week. While Mrs. Lillie is beginning to fully realize the gravity of the awful crime with which she charged, she is standing the ordeal with remarkable fortitude. Counsel for the state consider that they scored a strong point with the witnesses who were on the stand, Dr. S. C. Beede, Dr. H. E. Burdick and J. D. Sprague. These are the best witnesses for the prosecution that have yet been introduced. The attorneys say their best and strongest evidence is yet to come and that they have plenty of it. The revolver which was unintentionally brought into court is said to have been found by Sheriff West in the commode drawer on the morning of the murder. There were four cartridges in it, two empty and two loaded. It is a 32-calibre long, and the bullets now in evidence fit this revolver. The revolver will be more fully identified by the sheriff and offered in evidence. The attorneys for the state say this is possibly the pistol with which the crime was committed. It is also claimed that this revolver was the property of Mr. Lillie, and that Mrs. Lillie so testified before the coroner’s jury. County Attorney Walling was asked if any other revolver would be produced, he said: "We have nothing to say on that point now." Monday the strongest witness was Edward L. Runyon, a board of trade dealer who testified that Mrs. Lillie had transacted business with him for the past four years, and according to his books her loss from Aug. 7, 1902, up to the time of Mr. Lillie’s death was $1,025. The state rested in the hearing Monday evening. Judge Miller, attorney for the defendant, moved to dismiss the case, but was overruled.

At the meeting of the Maennerchor society Sunday they decided that hereafter the hall should not be rented to parties who engage orchestra talent from out of town for dances. The Orpheus society at their next meeting will bring up for consideration a similar resolution. This action is taken because those interested in orchestra music claim that our home talent is not receiving the recognition they should. There are several first-class organizations who spend much time and money for their improvement, and they feel that those who hire music for dancing should patronize the home product.

Eggs kept for hatching, says Wallace’s Farmer, are better in a basket with a flannel cloth thrown over the bottom and sides than in anything else. A tin or earthen vessel chills too easily. A wooden vessel is good, as are also the egg crates, but these necessitate so much trouble in turning the eggs that we would rather have two baskets, cloth lined, and change the eggs every other day than to be bothered with the fillers of the egg crates. Every one knows that eggs for hatching should not be handled with greasy hands, but every one does not know that the eggs should not be exposed to strong odors. A setting of eggs in a room where a vapo-cresoline lamp is burning would stand a very poor chance of hatching.

The Commercial club of Schuyler have called a meeting for this Wednesday to consider an offer from J. F. Ritter an expert packer of canned goods who offers to invest $10,000 in a plant in Schuyler providing a company can be organized that will furnish $15,000 or $25,000 more. The estimated profits on such a plant are from 30 to 40 per cent to the investor. The Quill says: "During the existence of the Blair concern the entire season’s pack has been sold each year before the goods were boxed. The last carload of this season’s output was shipped from Blair before Christmas. Mr. Ritter has the assurance from Omaha jobbers that they will contract for all the goods he can pack; the jobbers knowing his reputation. It is the custom of a canning factory to contract with farmers to buy all the corn they raise before the seed is planted, and corn for canning is a sure crop in Nebraska, as it is harvested before the time dry weather usually affects grain. The usual price paid for green corn is $5 a ton and three tons to an acre can safely be relied on." Columbus will be glad to see Schuyler a prosperous factory town in another year.

District court convened Monday afternoon for the Borchers murder trial, and within three hours a jury was selected. The jurymen are August Boettcher, John Deegan, J. F. Belford, Z. T. Moran, H. L. Kuneman, Henry Gehring, John Pinger, Lucius Hungeford, T. C. Hogan, Gus Ernst, David Schupbach and Gus Halgrean. Herman and Charles Borchers are young boys, either one looking under twelve years old. Tuesday morning the younger boy Charles, was put on the witness stand. He seemed perfectly unconscious of the enormity of the crime, and in answering the questions put by the county attorney. Wm. O’Brien, told what has already been given to the public of the shooting of their father by his brother Herman Gerhard Borchers on the farm near Humphrey, last August; how that the older brother not yet 14 years old, shot the father in the back of the head, hauled the body to a straw stack where it with the stack was burned. The attorneys for the boys will make the defense that the testimony of Charles should not be considered in the case as he is not responsible, being too young. The court room was crowded this morning and scarcely a whisper or sound could be heard while the young boy almost whispered the answers to questions put to him.

The Columbus Journal, January 14, 1903
After a trial of Herman Borchers in the district court last week for the murder of his father, extended from Monday to Thursday night, the jury returned a verdict of not guilty after five hours deliberation. With the evidence in hand many people were surprised that such a verdict was reached, but those who listened to the evidence were sympathetic for the boy, and believe that in the reform school he will receive the proper training he has lacked in past years, and may develop a bright boy. Judge A. M. Post and W. M. Cornelius, who had been appointed by Judge Hollenbeck, defended the boy’s interests in an able manner, while County Attorney O’Brien conducted the prosecution for the state. On Friday August Johnson, an uncle of Herman Borchers, filed complaint against the boy and be was taken before Judge Ratterman who sentenced him to the Kearney reform school until he is 21 years old. The younger boy, August, who was implicated with Herman in the murder, has requested to be sent to the school, and charges will probably be brought against him soon to have him sent there also. Sheriff Byrnes will take Herman to Kearney today.

Mrs. Hoge is seriously ill with cancer at the home of her sister, Mrs. Carl Hoth.

C.M. Bescroft has moved his family to the residence of C.B. Tomlin, corner of Fifteenth and North.

Mr. and Mrs. Herman Brodfuehrer have gone to housekeeping in the O'Brien dwelling recently vacated by Prof. Britell.
The postoffice at Neboville has been transferred to Melchoir Jenny, who succeeds H.H. Huntemann. Mr. Jenny is a thorought man in business transactions and the government's interests will be well taken care of at that place.

F.W. Herrick last week purchased the furniture stock of A.J. Spillman just south of Friedhof's. Mr. Spillman moved to Columbus about two months ago from Friend, Nebraska. He has returned there to live and where he has a shoe store.

C.S. Wack, a nephew of Mrs. John Wise, visited his relatives here last week. Mr. Wack has for several months been financial manager of the Alerton ranches near Cedar Rapids and as these have been sold, he is now returning to his home in Chicago.

Rev. Cash, with his wife and young son, arrived here Thursday from Michigan and have moved into the Episcopal parsonage. Rev. Cash preached in the Episcopal church both morning and evening, where he will hereafter be the rector of the church.

Jay, son of A.J. Smith, had an experience a few days ago while skating on the Loup river that he won't soon forget. He fell into a hole in the ice and but for his desperate struggle to get out would have been drowned as the water was deep at that point, and his companions did not dare go near him on the ice for fear of falling in also.

The infant child, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Gottschalk, has been seriously sick for several days past.

The Columbus Journal, January 21, 1903
The following, taken from the Easton, Maryland, Gazette of the 17th will be of interest to our readers in the northeastern part of the county: "Mr. Herman Badenhoop, secretary of the state bureau of immigration, Monday received a telegram stating that Messrs. H.H. Hunteman, Rudolph Plugge and H. Quathammer, formerly of Platte county, Nebraska, arrived yesterday at their new home at Cordova, in Talbot county, with their families and hired help. The party numbers, altogether about 25 persons. The new comers, on their way east, stored their cattle, household goods and farming utensils in freight cars, and in a combination car attached they cooked, ate and slept. The heads of the families visited Maryland some time ago and purchased farms aggregating about 800 acres of land. These new settlers are very desirable additions to the county, and it is hoped that more will soon follow."

J.G. Engel has purchased a 240-acre farm in Merrick county and expects to move onto it some time in March.

A. Haight last week sold his 160-acre farm near Platte Center, known as the Sullivan farm, to Irve Speice for $8,000.

Warwick Saunders, who for a number of years published papers in Platte Center and Columbus, is now at Davenport, Iowa, engaged in the printing business.

Jesse Rector returned home Friday from Missouri where he has been employed on the Missouri Pacific R.R., and will make his parents a visit of some length before returning to work.

Will Zinnecker expects to leave this Wednesday for Denver. He has not yet decided in what line of work he will engage, but goes west for a change of climate on account of poor health.

William Ayers, an old-time Columbus boy, arrived in town Sunday from California where he has been engaged as hotel cook. He has not been in this city for ten years and is now on his way to New York.

Jacob Swank living north of town on Shell creek, has recently completed one of the largest stock and grain barns in the county. He can shelter 100 head of cattle, 28 horses, besides calves and hogs. He has a hay sling that will lift a half ton of hay into the barn at one time. Rudolf Miller is also building a large modern barn.

The Columbus Journal, January 28, 1903
Rolla Hale, who has been engaged at the Snow stationery store since Mr. Snow purchased the store several years ago, will leave Columbus the middle of next month to accept a position as traveling salesman for the Marshall Paper Co. of Omaha, taking as his territory southern Nebraska or western Iowa. Mr. Hall [sic?] has made many friends here through business and social relations and they are confident of his success.

Mrs. M.J. Thomas, who left here a few months ago to make her home in South Bend, Indiana, has suffered the loss of her eye sight. She had for some time past been troubled with cataract over one eye and after going to Indiana an operation was performed, but on account of the eye ball being diseased and of her suffering, the eye was removed. Through sympathy, the other eye has been affected to blindness. Mrs. Thomas' friends here deeply sympathize with her in her great loss.

A telegram was received here last Tuesday evening by Mrs. C.D. Evans from Miss Bess Holloway of New York City telling of the supposed death of Miss Mae North. Miss North left New York a few days previously and no trace had been found of her the word was sent to Mrs. Evans. A letter received later from Miss North with the postmark Buffalo indicated that she contemplated self-destruction. So far, no facts can be learned if she is alive or dead, and Mr. North expects to leave today for Buffalo in order to make a more thorough search.

The Platte Center Signal says that James Burrows and his daughter Lulu and son George, who went to Washington last fall with the intention of making their home there, were evidently not pleased as they have returned. George arrived here Saturday evening and his father went to Scribner. Miss Lulu stopped in Colorado to visit a few days with Miss Rose Frederick, who is engaged in teaching near Ft. Collins.

While digging in the yard at Wm. Terrell's in the northwest part of the city, Frankie, the young lad, found a valuable relic, a mastodon tooth. The piece measures 19 inches around, 8 inches wide and although the root of the tooth is broken off it is 7 3/4 inches long, and weighs 8 1/2 pounds. There is no doubt as to its being a tooth. Where the relic came from is somewhat of a mystery. It may have been thrown up with dirt when digging the cellar or have been in the soil used in filling up the lot. Years ago the head of a mastodon was found on the farm of Franz Henggler, northeast of Columbus, the one now owned by his son George Henggler. The latter last Saturday, in conversing about the indicent, told us that it was in 1873 while digging the cellar for the house they found the entire head of a mastodon about five feet below the surface in the sand. The horns were 10 to 12 feet in length and the head was in all ways very large. The bones were not well preserved and finally crumbled to pieces. The peculiar part about it was, that they were found on one of the hills and in a bed of sand, indicating that at some remote time, perhaps thousands of years ago, that section of country was covered with water. Mr. Henggler also tells us that he can remember when the bluffs north of Shell creek showed a distinct water line, as if, years ago, high water had left trees, shrubbery, etc., along the banks, and where young trees grew up from the debris. He also says that about seven years ago, while digging a well on the farm of Gerhard Loseke an ash tree, in good preservation, was found.

F.N. Nelson has moved his family here from Valparaiso.

Paul, the young son of Mr. and Mrs. Leon Laughlin, is very sick with pneumonia.

Frank H. and R.N. Thomas, will sell at public auction at their place six miles southwest of Columbus, on the Island Wednesday, February 4, stock, farm machinery, household goods, etc. Everything advertised will be sold as they are going to quit farming. See bills.

Arch McGann, northeast of Columbus, has rented his place and expects to move to Colorado about March 1.

Mrs. Emma Vogel has filed papers asking for a divorce from her husband, Joseph Vogel. She alleges cruelty and non-support.

The residence of John McGill, jr., was quarantined last Thursday, Mrs. McGill having developed a case of small pox. The patient is quite sick but is doing as well as could be expected. Mrs. McGill is a daughter of Councilman A.W. Clark.

From Monroe Looking Glass: We understand Mr. James Irwin and family will leave about the first of March for Oklahoma, where Mr. Irwin will take a position in the mercantile line.

The Columbus Journal, February 4, 1903
Walter Eastman in employed with L.W. Weaver in the harness shop.

George Niemeyer has left for Crete, near which place he will move onto a farm.

Chris Jossi moves to the Erb farm east of town, recently vacated by George Engel.

Ed. Moncrief, former county superintendent of schools of this county, now of Grand Island, was in the city Thursday last.

Mrs. Mary Wise of this city has been granted a pension of $8 a month as a soldier's widow by the government. No back pension was allowed.

Mrs. Mary Johnson of Plainview, Nebr., was called here last Wednesday by the sickness of her daughter, Mrs. Mielenz, who was severely burned last Tuesday evening.

Walter Butler went to Belgrade Monday to see his farm which he recently purchased near there. The farm consists of a half section and lies part in Nance and part in Boone county. He expects to move his family in March, when he takes possession.

A good sized crowd attended the Ellis farm sale Wednesday last and everything sold is reported to have brought fancy prices. E.H. Funk was the auctioneer. W.S. Salyard who has occupied the farm, goes to Sherman county to take charge of a farm for C.H. Sheldon.

Forrest Butler visited his sister Mrs. G.W. Mentzer at Blue Springs, Nebr., last week. Mr. and Mrs. Mentzer are well pleased with their new home in the southern part of the state.

Mrs. Wm. Ragatz went to Omaha Thursday to accompany her sister, Miss Minnie Fox, home. The latter has been seriously sick for several days past.

Mrs. Barclay Jones underwent an operation which was performed by physicians at her home last Friday.

The drug store of C.L. Stillman has been sold to Charles Dack and the building to Thomas Dack. The Stillman store is the oldest drug store in the state, having the same proprietors or relatives as managers, and it is also one of the oldest in the United States, having been established in 1856. Charles Stillman expects to move west but has not yet decided in what business he will engage.

J.E. North returned Monday from Buffalo where he went in search for more particulars in regard to the supposed death of his daughter Mae. He found no trace of her further than had been learned before, and guards along the Niagara Falls whose duty it is to guard the bridges reported that they had seen no one fall into the falls since the 3d of January, although there is abundant opportunity for one to disappear into the falls at night time.

Last Tuesday evening at 6 o'clock, Mary, the little four-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H.F. Mielenz, pulled the cloth from the parlor table on which rested a large lighted lamp. When the lamp broke, flames immediately spread to carpets, curtains, wall paper, etc., and to the clothing of the little girl. Mrs. Mielenz as quickly as possible, carried the child to the rain barrel which stood outside the kitchen door but before she could extinguish the flames Mary had her left side from hip down burned severely, and Mrs. Mielenz burned both hands badly in saving her child. The furniture was entirely ruined and the walls of the room damaged to a great extent. An alarm of fire was sounded, but before the firemen arrived neighbors had succeeded in quenching the flames with water furnished by the bucket brigade. The residence, which is the third building north of the M.E. church, is owned by Rev. Olcott.

A peculiar disease has affected the cattle on the farms of Kummer Bros. and Adam Smith, south of town, which causes the hoof and foot bones to rot away. The cattle have been afflicted in this way for four weeks, about thirty of the Kummer Bros. herd and all of Smith's being troubled, many of which have had to be killed to relieve them from their suffering. State veterinary surgeon, Byers, was sent for and last Tuesday examined the stock. His opinion was that the overflow of the Platte river last spring had left a poisonous substance in the meadows which in getting between the hoofs of the cattle cause this disease. The doctor does not consider this to be contagious.

The Columbus Journal, February 11, 1903
J.C. Coley, a professional tailor from Lincoln has accepted a position at Linstrum's emporium.

On account of the stormy weather last week the Thomas sale was postponed to Monday, February 16. Stock, farm machinery, etc., will be disposed of on that date. Their place is six miles southwest of Columbus, on the Island.

Lee Beaty, of near Monroe, was in the city a couple of days last week visiting relatives and friends. He recently purchased a farm near Cedar Rapids and will soon move thereto with his family. Many will regret to see these good people leave Platte county.

Dan Shank and wife of Polk county were visiting relatives in Columbus this week. Mr. Shank is on his way to Sickles, Oklahoma, where he expects to locate and in the near future go into business. He has been in that country before and thinks it a good place for a young man.

Herbert Rodman has moved his family here from Schuyler and has accepted a position in the Snow stationery store.

Mr. Fritz Jaeggi of Berne, Switzerland, nephew of Adolph and Leopold Jaeggi, arrived here last week from New York where he has been with Mr. H.E. Babcock working in the interest of the Columbus Power canal. Mr. Jaeggi is accompanied by Dr. Kaiser also of Berne, who is here to look up the possibilities of establishing a factory for the manufacture of condensed milk. Dr. Kaiser is a chemist by profession, and should the power canal be successfully established, and he finds conditions favorable in this locality for the manufacture of this product, he will become one of the business promoters of this city. The manufacture of condensed milk would mean a great deal to the community not only in the way of factory work but to farmers in the dairy business. Mr. Jaeggi is well pleased with the progress made in regard to the power canal, and will probably remain until March in the United States.

Miss Laura Miner, who has been employed in the hat factory department of the Boston store in Omaha, is now visiting her brother Charles, in St. Joseph. Charles is now engaged in the shops of the Big Four R.R. Co., where he has finishing work to do. He is getting good wages and is well pleased with his work.

Misses Hattie Selsor, Louise Matthews and Katharine Speice left Monday for Chicago to study the styles in millinery. Miss Selsor will be head milliner in the Fillman store, and Miss Matthews will retain her position in Schuyler. Miss Speice has not yet decided where she will go this season.

The Columbus Journal, February 18, 1903
Mrs. Bell Ryan and son Gene of Omaha are visiting the family of S.J. Ryan.

W. Hardy and daughter Mrs. Barrett of Leigh are visiting with the family of C.C. Hardy.

Mrs. Fred Blazer of Omaha, known here as Miss Stella Elliott, visited relatives here returning home Monday.

W.L. Cunningham of Wayne is in the city the guest of his brother, Prof. D. Ross Cunningham. He is returning from a western trip.

Miss Bessie Bowen of Avoca, Iowa, who a few years ago was a resident of Columbus, is visiting her aunt Mrs. Beardsley and family.

Mr. Hoge has moved from Dohn creek to the farm of Sm. Bucher, in Colfax county.

Moses Kuntzelman has been very sick the past week.

Miss Ethel Baker is quite sick with catarrhal fever.

D.M. Newman who is taking charge of the Gluck store in Tarnov, came down Saturday to visit at home a few days.

Lou Rissiter, an old-time printer here in the'70s, a nephew of R.L. Rossiter, arrived in the city Saturday from the west.

Gene Tiffany arrived here Saturday from West Point for a two weeks' visit with relatives. He is employed as telegraph operator.

John Grossnicklaus, who formerly lived on Shell creek, but recently at Meadow Grove, will move onto the Wagner farm the first of March.

Mrs. Henry Miles has been seriously ill the past two weeks, but is now improving. Her sister, Miss Elizabeth Watkins, was sent for from Omaha.

Mrs. Joseph Hart of Omaha came up last week to visit her sister, Mrs. Gerhart who has been quite sick.

Last Friday Carl F. Hoehen made an assignment to his creditors of his entire stock of drugs and fixtures. Louis Schreiber jr., was named as trustee. The friends of Mr. Hoehen are in hopes he may adjust his difficulties so that he can continue business.

The Columbus Journal, February 25, 1903
Michael Welch was received notice that his pension has been raised from $8 to $10 a month.

Anton Nelson has purchased the residence property just east of Jacob Greisen's on Ninth street from C.C. Hardy. Mr. Hardy expects to move to Hyannis, Nebraska.

Governor Mickey has appointed H.D. Schaff assistant superintendent of the Kearney industrial school for boys. Mr. Schaff formerly resided here and is a brother of D.W. Schaff.

T.W. Adams is visiting relatives in Dowagiac, Michigan, and since going there has been confined to the house by sickness. He is now better, however, and is expected home this week.

Mrs. Randel and daughter Miss Frankie of Gibbon, were in the city Wednesday on their way to Omaha, where Miss Frankie will undergo an operation for a tumor. The Randel family formerly lived in Duncan and had many acquaintances here.

Otto Hagel was elected second lieutenant of company K last Thursday evening to fill the place recently vacated by George Brodfuehrer, who resigned. Fourteen of the boys have been honorably discharged, having served for a term of three years. Lieutenant Rollins is now recruiting the company.

Monroe Republican: A.E. Matson went to Columbus Wednesday and rented a house, where he will move his family in a short time....H.J. Hendryx has disposed of his resident property to S.C. Terry. He sold his barn to P.H. Gleason a week ago, and the last sale clears up his Monroe property. He has not decided what he will do in the future.

Prof. Kern, superintendent of the city schools, left Monday afternoon for southern Indiana, called by the serious illness of his father.

J.E. Hoffman has moved his meat market from the Fitzpatrick building on Thirteenth street to the building recently vacated by the pantitorium on Olive.

L. Frericks, from near Osceola, moved Monday to the residence in the eastern part of town which he purchased a few weeks ago of Peter Luchsinger, known as the "Rice" home. Mr. Luchsinger moved to the residence of Mrs. L.J. Cramer.

Last Wednesday at a wolf hunt across the river five coyotes were scared up, all getting away but one, which was captured by the youngest and smallest man in the crowd, George Kummer, who is 15 years old. There were about 90 men present in the chase, the crowd gathering at the home of Jim Thompson where lunch was served. Thursday of this week another chase will be made over the same ground.

Hugh Hughes, one of the oldest and most substantial business men of the city, has sold his lumber yard to John E. Kaufmann who is now in possession of the business. Mr. Kaufmann has in turn sold his lumber yard stock to the P.D. Smith company, which they will move to their yards near the B.& M. depot. Mr. Kaufmann intends erecting dwelling houses for renting purposes on the lots which will be vacated by the lumber yard. Mr. Hughes will spend his time in arranging business matters and will have his office on Twelfth street in the rooms recently vacated by Elliott & Speice in the Meridian hotel building.

Creston Statesman: ... Mrs. Westcott, mother of Mrs. D.I. Clark and L. Westcott, celebrated her 83d birthday last Saturday. Her children and some of her grand children prepared a surprise for her, by getting up an apron party; each child and most of her grand children present buying her an apron as a birthday present. There were only two of the eight families of her children represented--the families of Mr. and Mrs. D.I. Clark and Mr. and Mrs. L. Westcott. There were 11 grand children and 17 great grand children present, and guests enough to make a total of 50. She has 8 children living, 34 grand children and 27 great grand children.

The Columbus Journal, March 4, 1903
George Woods, who resides in Polk county near Osceola, and a brother-in-law to W.D. Benson, was in town this week. He expects to start soon for Canada where he will make his future home. Mr. Woods owns land in Alberta and is well pleased with the country. [Rural Route No. 1.]

A.L. McCoy has moved on to the place vacated by Lee Haney. [R.F.D. No. 3.]

Frank Bank from near Duncan will move on to the J.F. Godekin farm north of the John Boe place. [R.F.D. No. 3.]

John Stauffer starts today for Ellensburg, Washington, to spend a month or more with his sister, Mrs. Kohler.

Joseph Lloyd returned a few days ago from the east. He has been engaged at work in Michigan and in Canada.

Miss Hattie Baker is again in the Hulst & Adams dry goods store after three months of severe sickness during which time she has been confined to the house.

Carl Schubert has invested in a mechanical shooting gallery. It has a piano, and the entire machine is run by steam. He will have it in running order in a few weeks.

At the wolf hunt in the Kummer neighborhood last Thursday one wolf was killed and that by Frank Gerhalt. There were about 300 participated in the hunt. Four wolves were surrounded but three escaped. The hunt lasted an hour and a half, commencing about noon.

W.L. Chenoweth left Monday for Munising, Michigan, where he has accepted a position, and expects to remain. The many friends of Mr. Chenoweth regret to see him leave and the best wishes of his acquaintances go with him. He leaves principally on account of his health.

J.W. James left today, Tuesday, with his family for Canada where they expect to make their future home.

John Janing, for some time employed in L.G. Zinnecker's barber shop, left last week for his home in Polk county. His physician advised a change on account of lung trouble.

Walter Butler and family leave this Wednesday for Cedar Rapids where they will make their home. He has bought a farm ten miles south of that place on Timber creek, a fine farming country.

Joseph Ryan has purchased a stock of dry goods in Schuyler and took possession the first of this week. He expects to move his family there later in the spring. Mr. Ryan has had many years experience in serving the public in a business way and his Columbus friends will be glad to know of his prosperity.

Charles Skorupa, administrator of the estate of Frank Micek, deceased, will have a public sale on the Frank Micek place 8 miles north of Shelby on Tuesday, March 10, at which stock, farm machinery, etc., will be offered. At the same time and place Katie Micek, widow of the deceased, will also offer articles for sale. For further particulars see posters.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Goetz, who live south of Creston left for Colorado Wednesday, for the benefit of Mrs. Goetz's health which has been poor for some time. Albert Schroeder, jr., a brother of Mrs. Goetz, whose departure for Oregon was spoken of in last week's Democrat only got as far as Columbus when the trip had to be given up on account of the state of his sister's health. Mr. Schroeder will remain here and take charge of the farm until Mr. Goetz returns.--Humphrey Democrat.

Max Sauer, a former Columbus boy, who is a fireman on the United States torpedo boat Decatur, has within the past two weeks been stationed with the crew at Norfolk, Va., after one year spent in the waters near the Philippines and Porto Rico. Max has three years more to serve before expiration of his time with Uncle Sam. He expects to make a visit to his old home here this summer if he can procure a furlough.

O. Johnson, who for many years has been a resident of Columbus, has been transferred from his position as day operator at the Union Pacific depot, to the Omaha shops, where he will hold a similar position. Mr. Johnson left Thursday to take his new position. The family will not move there until later. H. Haggadore, who has been night operator, has Mr. Johnson's place and R.E. White of Omaha is now the night operator.

The Columbus Journal, March 11, 1903
Word has been received here by friends from Miss Laura Blust saying Mr. and Mrs. Blust are well pleased with their new home at Loveland, Iowa. [Richland and Vicinity.]

John Rickert moved onto the Martin Burke farm which he recently purchased; Wm. Stevenson to the Wells farm east of Columbus and Rollie Brocklesby becomes a citizen of our town. [Richland and Vicinity.]

Henry Hobbensiefken moved last week to his new farm near Platte Center. William Behlen will occupy the former farm of Mr. Hobbensiefken, which has been purchased by Mr. Fred Behlen, sr., father of Wm. Behlen, who will of course get some one to help him bake pies. [R.F.D. No. 3.]

Ed. Butler accompanied his brother Walter to Cedar Rapids last week to assist him in getting settled in his new home.

Dr. McKinley of Humphrey was in town Thursday on his way to Ohio where he was called by the serious illness of a brother.

Mrs. Eisenhauer, an aged German lady living in the east part of town, was operated upon by Drs. Arnold and Tiesing for kidney trouble last Tuesday. Mrs. Wm. Crocker of Boone county, a daughter of Mrs. Eisenhauer, is with her mother.

David Buynon, who for twenty years has been a farmer in Joliet township, moved his family to Gage county last Friday. Mr. Buynon has not sold his farm here and should he not be pleased with the new location will return to Platte county.

A.B. Cramer has resigned his position as manager with the Columbus Tank Line Co., and will move the first of next month to the James Horn farm northwest of town. John F. Myers of Platte Center, a cousin of Mr. Cramer, will take the position with the company.

Fred. A. Roberts, who has been in Greisen's clothing store for several years, has accepted a position in the clothing department of Friedhof's store.

G. Jay, the son of W.S. Jay who is attending an art school in Chicago, is developing a splendid talent for art. Recently he took an examination and out of one hundred and fifty he was one of three who passed the test. He is studying to be a cartoonist.

Last Saturday Joseph Sokol filed a suit in district court here against Mary Kozlowski for $3,000. He claims he received injuries while intoxicated by liquors bought at the saloon owned by the defendant in Duncan. Sokol says he was allowed to go home in a wagon in this condition from which he was thrown and received serious injuries.

Charles H. Davis and John Jergensen, together with their families, will move Saturday to University Place, this state. As soon as possible Mr. Davis, Mr. Jergensen and Benjamin Davis will build residences in Havelock where they expect to make their future homes. Columbus will lose one of the oldest and best families by their removal, but good wishes for their prosperity will go with them.

The Columbus Journal, March 18, 1903
Joseph Ryan moved his family Monday to Schuyler. ... Joseph J. Ryan sold his residence to John T. Baughan of Cedar Rapids. The sale was made through F.T. Walker's real estate agency.

J.E. Buell of Glenville, Nebraska, moved his family here last Thursday and has accepted a position in Herrick's store.

Harry Graves will leave the latter part of the week for Washington, D.C., where he has secured a position in a creamery under Frank Fugard, formerly of Columbus.

W.L. Easton has moved his family from the country to the O.D. Butler residence in the north part of the city. Mr. Easton is now with his brother C.S. in the hardware store.

John Jaworski, car checker in the Union Pacific yards here, quit work Monday and will go to Omaha to take a similar position with the company. Martin Langley has taken his place here.

Fred Urich and sister, Mrs. Minnie Lipp, started Monday evening for Virginia where Mrs. Lipp will remain with her husband who has located on a farm there. Fred will return after a visit of about a month.

We learn from the Platte Center Signal that Pat Hayes' family are about to move to Washington to join Pat, who has been there something over a year. Mrs. Hayes announces a sale of household goods for the 28th of this month.

John Schmocker has received word from Ben Englehart, a former resident of Polk county but the past ten years of Julesburg, Colorado, that he expects to return with his family to Columbus to make his future home. Mr. Englehart is a man of means and expects to engage in ranch business in this community. Mrs. Englehart was formerly Miss Horst and the family are very well known south of Columbus.

Chris Huggler, of near Osceola, came near losing his life in the flood last Monday. He had been visiting his sister, Mrs. John Ernst, west of R.Y. Lisco's, and was returning home when the flood of ice and water overtook him south of Lisco's residence. The horse became frightened and broke away from the buggy and soon the vehicle was thrown by the ice to a barb wire fence. Mr. Huggler by following the fence managed to save his life. Misses Lydia and Josie Sparhawk also had a narrow escape on Wednesday. They were driving near the Lisco residence and in attempting to go around a culvert where a bridge had been washed out, their horse got into a deep hole, and but for the timely assistance of some one passing, all might have been drowned.

Carl Kramer returned Friday from Bonesteel, South Dakota, where he visited W.B. Backus, formerly of Columbus. Mr. Backus is practicing law in that city. Mr. and Mrs. W.W. McFayden, also formerly of Columbus, are conducting a hotel there. Bonesteel is two miles from the Rosebud Indian agency which will be opened by the government for homesteads. It had been generally understood that the reservation would be opened this spring, but the law requires that congress shall pass upon this matter and it can therefore not be settled before that body meets next fall. Bonesteel expects to be greatly benefited by the settlement of the reservation. Mr. Kramer says that the land there is good but barren of trees.

John Boe, one mile north of Peter Schmitt's mill, will have a sale on Monday, March 23, consisting of stock, farm implements, buggies, wagons and household goods. [R.F.D. No. 3.]

The Columbus Journal, March 25, 1903
Mamie, daughter of Fred Curtis, is confined to the house by sickness.

R.W. Saley and his mother, Mrs. Emiline Saley, are both confined to the house by sickness.

Mrs. Gus G. Becher went to Omaha this (Tuesday) morning called by the illness of her daughter, Mrs. Adams.

John McDonald, father of Mrs. M.J. Shoemaker was taken to the hospital Friday afternoon. Mr. McDonald has been confined to his bed all winter.

John C. Morrissey, a prominent business man of Columbus in the early '70s, now of Lincoln, was in town a couple of days last week looking after property interests which he still retains here.

"Grandma" Echols, the aged mother of J.C. Echols, has been seriously sick for several days past and little hope is felt for her recovery. Her son, Frank Echols of Hartford, Connecticut, expects to start for Columbus today.

The Monroe Republican says that some time during next month H.J. Hendryx expects to start to Maryland and Virginia and look over the country with a view of locating should he find something that suits him better than Nebraska.

Ralph J. Pugsley of Genoa and bride were in the city today on their way home. Mrs. Pugsley was formerly Miss Martha Parker one of the city teachers of the Omaha schools.

Friday's Omaha Bee says: "Venette E. Paxton alleges that Charles, her husband, has been cruel to her and on January 10 assaulted her. She asks that the marriage consummated at Columbus, Nebr., June 22, 1888, be set aside and that she be given the custody of their three children."

The Creston Statesman says: W.M. Jackson has been granted a pension of $20 per month, on account of sickness contracted while in the U.S. service in Philippines; that Messrs. A.F. and W. Plagemann, Henry Seipp and the Misses Lena and Bertha Plagemann, Marie Snyder and Minnie Classing were up from Columbus Sunday, the guests of Theo. F. Plagemann, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Johnson.

One of the Columbus boys who is making his mark is Fred Williams. Less than twenty-five years old, a graduate of the Columbus High school and later of the State university, with experience as a teacher, he has recently been elected superintendent of the Seward city schools at a salary of $1,000. The Seward Blade says that "Mr. Williams has been principal of the High school the past year, in which position he showed much ability as an instructor." The Journal is always glad to record the advancement of our citizens.

The Columbus Journal, April 8, 1903
Mrs. Joseph Reichart of Lindsay returned to her home Thursday after spending several weeks in the hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Benham, parents of Union Pacific Agent W.H. Benham, are in the city visiting their son. After living in Cedar Rapids, Nebraska, for twenty-two years, they left there Wednesday and expect to locate in Colorado or some other western state. Mrs. Benham will remain in Columbus until her husband finds a suitable location.

P.W. Beerbower, an old time business man of this city, now of Omaha, was in the city today, Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Butler brought their daughter down from Cedar Rapids last week on account of serious illness of the child.

Charley, son of Aaron Cue, left Monday for Omaha where he will take an examination for the U.S. navy service. Charlie is eighteen years old.

H.J. Alexander has sold his milk business to Fred Scofield, who will move his family to Columbus from Stuart, Nebr., this week. The Scofields will move to the farm home with Mr. Alexander, north of the city. The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Scofield will welcome them to our vicinity again after a few years absence from the city.

James Pearsall the Columbus architect was up here Monday. Mr. Pearsall is at present working on plans for the new First National Bank building, which will be erected as soon as the plans are perfected.....Willie Gietzen went to Columbus Wednesday to visit a few days with friends and relatives.....Mrs. Frank Lachnit returned to Columbus Saturday after a visit with relatives here; she was accompanied by her daughter, Mrs. Peter Smith.--Humphrey Democrat.

Miss Stella Krause of Genoa visited her aunt, Miss Bertha Krause, last week.

Mrs. J.H. Boardman of Amherst, Neb., is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Krieger.

Mrs. W.L. Easton and children left Sunday for a month's visit with relatives at Woodstock, Illinois.

Miss Pearl Freeman, one of the teachers in Grand Prairie, visited last week with her grand parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.S. Freeman.

Paul Duffy was in Lincoln one day last week visiting his brother Peter and stopping in Bellwood over Sunday to visit his brother Charles.

Below we quote from a telegram appearing in this (Tuesday) morning's Omaha World-Herald, which was sent from Union, Nebraska. Mr. Gerrard a few years ago was a Columbus type setter, and is well known to Columbus and Monroe people where he has lived all his life. Last February Mr. Gerrard lost his newspaper plant at Elba, it being destroyed by fire: "Editor Graves is in receipt of a letter from a Mrs. C.A. Gerrard of Bellwood, Nebr., asking for a fuller description of the body and clothes worn by the man who committed suicide here last Friday. Mrs. Gerrard says she read the story of the suicide in the World-Herald, and believes the man was her missing husband, whom, she writes, left Elba, Nebr., February 27, and has not been seen since that time by herself or friends."

Oscar Nay sailed on Monday from San Francisco for the Philippines, as a member of the 18th infantry. [Platte Center.]

Mrs. J.F. Carrig of Columbus, has been here this week assisting her mother, Mrs. Patrick Hayes, in her preparations for moving to Washington. [Platte Center.]

The Columbus Journal, April 15, 1903
Peter Schmidt, the good-hearted miller on this route, loaded a couple of cars of his best flour last week for eastern markets. [R.F.D. No. 3]

Miss Tillie Kreuger, who makes her home in Columbus, is taking a couple of weeks' vacation at the farm home, visiting mother, Clara, Willie, and uncle Pete. [R.F.D. No. 3]

Henry Sturgeon left Sunday for Garrison where he has secured work at the carpenter trade.

H.E. Babcock left Saturday for New York where he will resume work in the interest of the power canal.

J.H. Craun was in Sherman county last week looking over his farm that he purchased there last summer.

Fred Scofield and family are expected Wednesday from Stuart. They will hereafter make their home on the Alexander farm north of town.

Glur & Braun is the name of a new business firm who have formed a partnership to do painting and paper hanging. The gentlemen have their shop on east Eleventh street.

M.E. Alliss and two sons, Melvin and Charley, also Will Corbet, all well known in Columbus, left Bellwood last Thursday for Canada. Mr. Alliss and sons have taken homesteads.

Word has been received from the James family who moved from here to Alberta, Canada, in February. They are well pleased with the country and are now improving their place by erecting new buildings.

Ruth, the 10-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Butler, who was brought here from Cedar Rapids about two weeks ago, is not improving. She has been suffering with appendicitis and is at the home of Charles Reinke.

The Platte Center Signal says that John Reagan, sr., was badly burned last Thursday while attempting to fight fire away from a millet stack. Mr. Reagan is an old man and was unable to put the fire out when his clothes were ignited.

The acquaintances of Archie Kay, who a few months ago lived in Columbus, but later in Omaha, will be interested to hear that he has joined the U.S. navy, and left last week to take up naval life. Archie is the step son of P.T. Walton.

S. Gilmore, formerly a blacksmith of this place, has again located here. Since leaving Columbus he has been in Wayne, this state.

Miss Julia Fox will entertain friends Wednesday evening at the home of her sister, Mrs. Wm. Ragatz, in honor of her nephew, Mr. F.A. Bean.

Mrs. Buckley, who for six weeks has been sick at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Jack Dolan, is now improving. Mr. Buckley and son John are now visiting the Dolan family. Mr. Buckley is shipping clerk at the U.P. depot in Omaha.

Captain E.C. Hockenberger, who left here several months ago for St. Paul, Minn., has resigned his commission as captain of Co. K, First Regiment Nebraska National Guards. The company do not yet know who his successor will be.

From Woodville notes in St. Edward Sun we notice that Miss Jessie Maw was taken very sick Sunday, and that Dr. Arnold of this city thought it best for her to come to the hospital for treatment. Martin Apgar has been secured to finish Miss Maw's term of school.

Henry Herchenhan, who has been conducting a saloon business in the Morrissey building on Eleventh street for several years, last week purchased the store building immediately west of Mrs. R.H. Henry, which has been occupied by L.F. Asche as a storage room. Mr. Herchenhan expects to build a brick building on the lot in the near future.

Mrs. Patrick Hayes and children of Platte Center visited a few days with her daughter, Mrs. J.F. Carrig, last week, on their way to Blaine, Washington, where they expect to make their future home. Mr. Hayes has been there over a year where he and his son Frank are both employed in a saw mill. The Hayes family were among the oldest settlers in this community.

Charles L. Stillman left Saturday for Lead, South Dakota, where he has purchased one of the leading drug stores in the western country. If there is any young man in Columbus who deserves success, it is Charlie Stillman, and his many good friends in his native town, where he, and his father before him, have been makers of local history, will wish him all that he deserves. His mother and sister, Miss Lela, and brother, Bert, will continue to reside in Columbus.

Albert Giger and family returned to Columbus Saturday from Ellensburg, Washington, where they have been living the past two years. Mr. Giger had not sold his residence property here, and returns to make this his future home, concluding that, after all, Platte county is about as good as any place to live. Mr. Giger was formerly employed in the wooden shoe factory of C.A. Lutz & Co. On Wednesday he leaves for Switzerland where he will spend three months, principally to look after the estate of his father-in-law, and on his return to this city will probably engage in business. Columbus is always glad to welcome back her good old-time citizens.

The Quill says that some time during the next thirty days the name of the Schuyler flour mill will be changed and the firm will be incorporated. It will be known as the Wells-Abbott Nieman company. The growth of this concern has been phenomenal. In 1870 it was established as Wells & Nieman on Shell creek and had fifty barrels capacity. The mill has grown steadily from the beginning and during last summer additions were made and the capacity of the flour output alone reached 1,200 barrels a day. During this summer the capacity will be increased 300 barrels. Besides flour the mill has an extensive corn meal department, probably the largest of its kind in the state and makes several brands of cereal foods. The output reaches all points of the United States and also a number of foreign countries. At the present time fifty people are on the pay roll of the company.

The Columbus Journal, April 22, 1903
Martin Albers is making arrangements to return the boy he received from the children's home of Omaha. [R.F.D. No. 3]

Mr. and Mrs. C.J. Bisson and son Clarence visited grandpa and grandma Luschen at Boheet Sunday. [R.F.D. No. 3]

Miss Emma Sissle has returned from her trip to Canton, Ohio. Probably very few here know that her father and the late lamented President McKinley were schoolmates, played on the streets of Canton together, were next door neighbors and grew up together as boy chums. [R.F.D. No. 3]

F.A. Baird has bought the fixtures and trade of the Olive street barber shp from Joe Kinnan.

Miss Bertha Krause, who has been an invalid for several years, was taken to St. Mary's hospital Thursday, where she will remain for some time to receive special treatment.

Mike Mostek of Tarnov was arrested in this city Monday morning accused of breaking into the saloon of Mike Jerusal at Tarnov and stealing liquors and other articles on Sunday morning.

Mrs. Frank Matthews came up from Schuyler last week to look for a house. The family expect to move to this city after school is out in the spring, Mr. Matthews having accepted the position of groceryman in the Easton store.

Ralph Swartsley and Mr. Hamilton came down Friday from Stuart, Nebr., with the stock and merchandise of Fred Scofield. The Scofield family arrived here Thursday, and all will be at home on the dairy farm of H.J. Alexander.

T.C. Cain of Monroe township, this county, was in town Thursday and left on the evening train for Butte, Montana, where he expects to engage in mining. Tom is already "onto the ropes," having served some time in that line years ago. Success to him.

Mrs. Paynter, and son John, mother and brother respectively, of Mrs. O.L. Baker, came up from Omaha Friday and remained until Saturday evening visiting relatives here, on their way to Denver where they will make their future home. Mrs. Paynter is afflicted with rheumatism and expects to find relief in the Colorado climate.

Charley VanAlstine, a former Columbus boy, has purchased the Levi Cox interest in the Cox, Jones Commission Co. of South Omaha. Charley started to work for the company six years ago, commencing immediately after finishing a business college course and has risen steadily through hard work, to the position he now occupies.

W.E. Wells, who for the past two and a half years has been employed in the Argus office, left Columbus last Tuesday and will in a few weeks go to Missoula, Montana, and engage in the printing business with his father-in-law, Carl T. Seely, formerly of Madison. Mr. Wells and family are now visiting relatives in Plattsmouth before leaving for the west. The good wishes of their many friends will go with them to their western home.

Mrs. Mary H. Williams has written from Palo Alton, California, that she will return to Columbus soon after the school year. Her mother, Mrs. Alexander, and daughter, Miss Ethel Henrich, will return with her. The family have not decided if they will make Columbus or some other Nebraska town their home, but will spend the summer in Indiana. Mrs. Gould and daughter of Indiana have been in California through the winter months.

The Humphrey Leader says that J.W. Maher and family will leave for El Reno, Oklahoma, Tuesday and will make that place their home in the future. Mr. Maher has a position as general agent of the Oklahoma Indemnity association. Mr. and Mrs. Maher have been residents of Humphrey for the past ten years and during this time have made many friends who will join the Leader in wishing them prosperity in their new home.

The Columbus Journal, April 29, 1903
Jessie Bisson is now on the road most of the time selling medicines. He is doing quite well as a salesman. It will be remembered that he lost an arm in a corn shredder a year or so ago, causing him to give up his favorite vocation, farming, and take up work of this nature. [R.F.D. No. 3]

Nels Johnson who is telegraph operator in the headquarters offices of the Union Pacific at Omaha spent Sunday at home with his mother. The Johnson family will move to Omaha after shool closes.

Roy McFarland, a former Columbus boy, who is now a railway mail clerk running out from Jamestown, South Dakota, is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.K. McFarland. Roy is well pleased with the work and expects to return within a week.

The Hoehen drug store on Eleventh street has been purchased by Garrett Hulst and was re-opened last Tuesday afternoon with Louis Schreiber, jr., in charge. It will be remembered that several weeks ago F.K. Strother bought the store at forced sale.

W. Rathburn moved his household goods to Seward Friday where he has purchased the leading hotel of the city. Emil Schachtschneider went with him to take the position of clerk.

Humphrey Leader: Mrs. J.W. Maher and children, Ruth and Raymond went to Columbus Wednesday, where they will visit the Shulte family for a few days, and from there they will go to Omaha for a short visit before they go to their new home at El Reno, Oklahoma....J.W. Maher left El Reno, Okla., Tuesday with his household goods and the following people accompanied him for the purpose of seeing the country: Mrs. James Myers, John Huseman and son, Mr. Peters and wife, John Deiter and Mrs. Newel South. Mr. South has been at El Reno for the past year in the insurance business.

The Platte Center Signal says that Miss Sarah Perkinson started on Monday for Higgins, Texas, to look after her homestead which is located near Higigns, but over the line in Oklahoma. She is required to make this pilgrimage twice a year in order to maintain a residence on her claim.

Mr. and Mrs. Martin Connor of Cheyenne have been guests of their niece Mrs. John Randall here for several days going to Silver Creek Monday to visit with Thomas O'Connor. Mr. Connor has been east as far as Ohio and Mrs. Connor was in Burlington, Iowa, where she visited her niece, Mrs. Charles Snodgrass formerly of Columbus. Mr. and Mrs. Connor contemplate moving to Columbus from Cheyenne.

W.G. Seeley went to Palmer, Nebraska where, we understand he expects to engage in the lumber business.

Return to Platte Co. Home Page | Miscellaneous Page

Platte County NEGenWeb Project Page
This is a free site. © 2011 slb. This page may not be copied or distributed or accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright holder or the owner of this site. Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.