Search billions of records on

Platte Co., NE - 1934 BMD NEGenWeb Project

NOTE: Several entries are partial clippings with incomplete information. I will attempt to find the entire obituary and update when possible.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, January 3 (?), 1934
BOWER--To Missouri - S. L. Burley left yesterday for Butler, Mo., on receipt of word that his cousin, Milton Bower, 22, son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Bower, of Ainsworth, Neb. had been fatally injured in an auto accident there. Mr. Burley was accompanied by the young man's parents, and their other two sons, Darrell Bower and Harley McCoid. Bower had been visiting at the C. W. Odle home at Butler, and accompanied by Miss Audrey Odle, was returning to the Odle home when the car skidded into a ditch. The couple started to walk to a cafe to summon aid whan a car driven by Clayton Bale, of Adrian struck them. Miss Odle was not seriously injured. Bower's skull was fractured. He was taken to a hospital in Butler, where he died Sunday. The body was shipped to Ainsworth for funeral services and burial. Mr. Burley and Mr. and Mrs. Bower and son are expected to arrive here today. Mr. and Mrs. Burley and daughter, Donna Jean, will go to Ainsworth to attend the funeral, which will probably be held Wednesday.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, January 24, 1934
    Platte Center, Jan. 24 (Special to The Telegram) - Following an illness of three weeks' duration, Mrs. Frank Bruckner, 41, prominent matron of this community, passed away at 1:55 a. m. today at her home here. Her death was due to diphtheria. She had been troubled with a rheumatic condition for the last few years, and was taken ill about three weeks ago, but apparently was recovering, until she contracted diphtheria last Friday. She had been bedfast since that time.
    As Miss Katherine Perkinson she was born Feb. 22, 1892 at Columbus, and later moved with her parents to Platte Center. She graduated from the Platte Center high school, and then taught school in the rural and Platte Center schools.
    On June 5, 1917, she was united in marriage to Frank Bruckner of Platte Center. To them were born two daughters and a son - Mary Jean, 16; Joyce Ann, 6; and Max, 13; who survive her.
    Besides her husband and children, she is survived by her aged father, Richard Perkinson, who resided with them; one brother, Frank Perkinson, of Cheyenne, Wyo., and one sister, Mrs. W.T. Ripp, of Omaha.
    Private funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the family home, and a mass will be held at St. Joseph's Catholic church at a later date when the family is out of quarantine. Burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, February 12, 1934
GRADY--Richland, Feb. 12 (Special to The Telegram)--Funeral services for John J. Grady, 44, who resided on a farm six miles northeast of Richland, and who died early Saturday morning in Schuyler, will be hald at 9 a.m. tomorrow at St. Augustine's Catholic church in Schuyler. Burial will be made in the Catholic cemetery there.
    Mr. Grady returned Friday from Mayo Brothers' clinic at Rochester, Min., where he had been receiving medical treatment for the last three weeks. He had been suffering with cancer for the last several months, and spent a few weeks in the United States Veterans' hospital in Lincoln this fall. He died at the home of his mother, Mr. Catherine Grady, in Schuyler.
    He was born on Feb. 9, 1890 on a farm five miles north of Richland where he spent his boyhood and grew to manhood. He finished school in Schuyler, and then attended Midland college in Fremont for three years. He returned from there at the outbreak of the world war, enlisted in the United States army and was sent to Texas, where he was stationed until the close of the war at which time he was given an honorable discharge.
    On Oct. 1, 1919, in Omaha, he was united in marriage to Miss Vera Babcock, of Schuyler, and they located on the farm where he was residing at the time he was taken ill.
    He was a popular man in his home community, and was a member of the McCloud Post, No. 47, of the American Legion at Schuyler. He was also a member of St. Augustine's Catholic church in Schuyler.
    Surviving are his widow; one son, John, jr.; his mother, Mrs. Catherine Grady, of Schuyler; three brothers, Jerry and Bill Grady, of Rogers, and James Grady, of Schuyler; and five sisters, Mrs. Joseph Ourada, of Clarks, Mrs. Alex Bideaus, of Schuyler, Mrs. Arthur Pollard, of Rogers, and Misses Cecelia and Agnes Grady, of Schuyler. He was preceded in death by his father, one brother and one sister.

SMITH--Lindsay, Feb. 12--(Special to The Telegram)--Word was received here today by relatives that Mrs. F.J. Smith, 67, prominent resident of Lindsay for the last 45 years, passed away at 11 p.m. yesterday in a hospital at Lancaster, Wis. Mrs. Smith went to Patacia, Wis., three weeks ago to visit with a daughter, Ven. Sr. M. Roland, and was taken ill a few days ago. She was removed to the hospital in Lancaster, and lived but a short time after that. She had been suffering for the last several months with diabetes.
    Mrs. Smith was born in Iowa, where she grew to womanhood, and where she was married to Mr. Smith. They came to Nebraska together 45 years ago and located on a farm near Lindsay. For the last few years she has been residing in Lindsay. Mr. Smith passed away three years ago.
    She was a member of the Altar society of the Holy Family church, the Priscilla club, the Improvement club, and the Ladies Kensington. She was one of the prominent matrons of this community, and was held in highest esteem by all who knew her.
    She is survived by three sons, Rev. Fr. Ed Smith, of Sioux City, Ia., Raymond Smith, of West Point, and Bill Smith, of Lindsay; and five daughters, Ven. Sr. M. Roland, of Patasia, Wis., Mrs. Fred Ramaekers, of Spalding, and Mrs.Leo Schaecher, and Misses Eleanor and Mary Smith of Lindsay. Besides her husband she was preceded in death by one daughter, Ven. Sr. M. Fidelis, who died 10 years ago.
    Funeral services will be held at 9 a.m. Thursday at the Holy Family church, and burial will be made in the Catholic cemetery. The body will arrive here Tuesday morning.

BEHLE--Adam A. Behle Dies - Adam A. Behle, 53, member of one of the pioneer families of Platte Center, residing on a farm a mile west of Platte Center, passed away at 7:45 p.m. Saturday at his home following a week's illness of pneumonia. He was born on a farm in Shell Creek township, 10 miles north of Columbus on Jan. 11, 1881, where he spent his entire life until he was married to Miss Dorothea M. Johannes on June 23, 1929, at Madison, Neb. They established their home in Columbus for a period of four months, and then moved to the farm where they have resided continuously since that time. He was well known in Shell Creek township, and also in the community where he has resided for the last five years. He is survived by his widow; one daughter, Dorothy, 2; his father, Henry Behle; three brothers, Henry Eugene and Eric Behle, of Columbus, and four sisters, Mrs. Fred Wille, Mrs. Nora Claussen, Mrs. Fred Lips and Miss Olive Behle, all of Columbus. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the family home, and at 2 p.m. at the Immanuel Lutheran church in Columbus. Rev. A. Holm will have charge of the services at the house, and Rev. A.H. Guettler, pastor of Immanuel Lutheran church, will officiate at the church. Burial will be made in Columbus cemetery. The body was taken to the home today from the Gass Funeral home.

The Columbus Daily Telegram, February 16, 1934
KELLY--Bellwood Woman Dies Here - Mrs. Fatha A. Kelly, 67, resident of Bellwood for many years, passed away at 5:30 p.m. yesterday at Lutheran Good Samaritan hospital, where she had been for the last nine weeks. She had suffered from gallbladder trouble, for which she underwent an operation there on Dec. 20, and liver trouble and other complications. She had been ill about five weeks before entering the hospital, and her vitality was at such low ebb that she was unable to respond to treatment. As Miss Fatha Buffalo, she was born on Aug. 21, 1866, at Bloomington, Ind., where she spent the earlier period of her life, and grew to womanhood. In 1883, she was united in marriage to George Kelly at Terra Haute, Ind., and they resided there for a few years and then moved to Bellwood, Neb. They spent a few years on a farm near Bellwood, and then moved back to Indiana for a period of eight years. Returning to Nebraska at that time they located on a farm in Sherman county, later moved to Ulysses, and then returned to Bellwood to retire. Mr. Kelly passed away Apr. 3, 1929. Mrs. Kelly was a member of the Ladies society of the Methodist church in Bellwood, and was also a member of the Rebekah lodge. She is survived by three sons, Walter Kelly, of Rising City, Verlie Kelly, of Silver Creek, and Willard Kelly, of Ulysses; five grandchildren, and three sisters, Mrs. Mary Smith, of Bellwood, Mrs. George Robinson, of Columbus, and Mrs. E.J. Ludwig, of McCook. One son, Alvin, preceded her in death nine years ago. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Methodist church in Bellwood, with Rev. Street, pastor, officiating. Burial will be made in the Bellwood cemetery. The body will be taken from the Gass Funeral home to the home of her sister, Mrs. Smith, in Bellwood, late this afternoon.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, March 6, 1934
KIELTYKA--Dies in Detroit - Frank Kieltyka, 36, who has been employed as a mechanic in factories in Detroit the last 10 years or more, passed away there yesterday, according to a message from his wife received this morning by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kieltyka, Fourth street and Twentieth avenue. The brief message did not state the cause of his death, but it is known here that he had been undergoing treatment for some time in the veterans' hospital in Detroit for physical disabilities suffered during the world war and which had permanently impaired his health. He was born in Columbus 36 years ago and enlisted in the army at Fort Logan, Colo., in October, 1917, being sent from there to Camp Cody at Deming, N.M., to join the Columbus volunteer company, Co. K, which was divided into Co's A and B of the 109th supply train there. After a short time there, he was transferred to the 134th infantry and later served at the front overseas with that unit. After the war he returned here and later went to Detroit to work in the Chrysler factor [sic]. He married a Detroit girl about four years ago. When he enlisted in the army he shortened his name, for convenience, to "Kielto" and he has continued to use that form of the name since that time. He is survived by his widow, in Detroit; a sister, Mrs. Leo Sobush, of Chicago; his parents and two brothers, Pete and Felix. The funeral will be held and burial made in Detroit.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, April 7, 1934
KUNNEMANN--Mrs. H.L. Kunnemann Dies - Following an illness of four months' duration, Mrs. Herman L. Kunneman, 76, passed away at 9:15 p.m. yesterday at her home, 2116 Sixteenth street. She had been ill with diabetes, and was bedfast most of the time. As Miss Anna Weichmann, she was born on Apr. 2, 1858, at Oldenburg, Germany, and came to this country when a young woman of 22 years. She located with friends in Colfax county, where she remained for a short time, and then came to Platte county to be with other friends. It was here that she met Herman L. Kunnemann, to whom she was married on Oct. 28, 1880. They made their home on the farm of Mr. Kunnemann's parents, 14 miles north of Columbus, where Mr. Kunnemann had lived in a sod house and grown to manhood. Early-day hardships and privations presented themselves to the young married couple, as they did to other early day pioneers. Undaunted by trouble, they worked and saved throughout the years, which merited for them happiness and financial independence in their later life. They retired from the farm in 1910, and at that time took a trip back to their native country for a three months' visit with relatives. They returned, however, to this country, just as anxious to get home as they were to come here when in their youth. Since that time they have lived mostly in retirement. They were both devout members of the Immanuel Lutheran church since residing in Columbus, and Mrs. Kunnemann took an active interest in the Ladies Aid society. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary three years ago last October. Mrs. Kunneman is survived by her husband; four daughters, Mrs. John Meyer, of Columbus; Mrs. John Brakenhoft, of Columbus; Mrs. Walter Gertsch, of Platte Center, and Mrs. Ernst Wurdeman, of Creston; three sons, Gustave, Walter and Herman Kunneman, jr., all of Columbus; 19 grandchildren; two great grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Herman Dickman, of Gary, S.D., and one brother, Herman Weichman, of Oldenburg, Germany. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday at the house and at 1:30 at the Immanuel Lutheran church. Rev. Guettler, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be made in Christ Lutheran cemetery, 14 miles northeast of Columbus. The body will lie in state at the Gass Funeral home until Monday evening, when it will be taken to the family home.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, April 19, 1934
BRAUNER--CRESTON FARMER TAKES OWN LIFE - Wendelin Brauner, 62, Hangs Self to Tree on Neighboring Farm
    Creston, Apr. 19 (Special to The Telegram): Wendelin Brauner, 62, well known farmer residing on his own place in Sherman township five miles south of Creston, took his own life Wednesday evening by hanging himself to a small tree in a plum thicket in a corner of the Oscar Lueschen farm, adjoining his farm and about a quarter of a mile from his home.
    The body was found by two of Brauner's sons who instituted a search when the family became alarmed because he did not return to the house at supper time.
    Brauner left his home about 5 p. m. to go out and oil a windmill in a field about half a mile from his house. From there he had apparently walked over to the plum thicket which was on the Lueschen farm just over the fence-line from his own place, where he used a small piece of rope to hang himself. Neighbor children had seen him standing on a hill near there about 5:30 p. m. His body was found about dusk.
    He had been suffering considerably from sinus trouble recently and it is thought this may have prompted his action. He was not in any serious financial trouble, according to his family.
    He is survived by his widow, three sons, one daughter, two stepsons and one step-daughter. One son and his daughter made their home with him and Mrs. Brauner and two other sons farm nearby.
    Mr. Brauner was held in high esteem by his neighbors and other friends.
    Definite arrangements for the funeral had not been made this forenoon, but it will probably be held Saturday.
    County Attorney Luckey and Sheriff Kavanaugh were notified by members of the Brauner family of the finding of the body and drove out there about 8:30 p. m. After inquiring into the circumstances of the death, Mr. Luckey announced that no inquest would be held.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, April 30, 1934
KEITH--Willis S. Keith Dies - Willis S. Keith, 47, of Belgrade, passed away at 8:30 a.m. yesterday at St. Mary's hospital, where he was brought a week ago from his home. He was ill for a period of three weeks, suffering with kidney trouble. When his condition became serious he was brought to the hospital for medical attention. He was born on Sept. 9, 1886, on a farm near St. Edward, Neb. The family moved to Belgrade in 1901, and he remained on the farm with them until Mar. 8, 1911, when he was married to Miss Elizabeth Zumbrunn. They located on a farm five and a half miles west of Belgrade, where they have resided since. He is survived by his widow; one adopted son, Wilber S. Keith, 17; four brothers, Charles, of Cedar Rapids, George of Cheyenne, Wyo., Howard, of St. Edward, and Alfred, of Fullerton, and three sisters, Mrs. Althia Warner, of Central City, Mrs. Mary Neve, of Belgrade, and Mrs. Evelyn McManigal, of Orchard. One son died in infancy. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the family home, and at 2:30 at a neighboring church. Burial will be made near Belgrade. The body was taken to the home yesterday from the Gass Funeral home.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, March (May?) 8, 1934
BOROVIAK--Mrs. Matthew Boroviak Dies - Mrs. Matthew Boroviak, 81, passed away at 8:30 a.m. today at St. Mary's hospital, after being seriously ill for the past three weeks. Death was due to gall bladder trouble. She had been an invalid for the past 20 years and for the last three years had been at St. Mary's hospital. As Catherine Kaiser, she was born in Germany Sept. 16, 1853. In 1874 she was united in marriage to Matthew Boroviak and shortly thereafter came to this country and established their home in Alleghany, N.Y. In 1911 the family moved to Columbus, and in 1914, Mr. Boroviak passed away. She is survived by six children, Paul of Columbus, Max, of Stevens, S.D.; Anthony of Desota, Kansas; Mrs. James Canine, of Oakland, Calif.; Mrs. Thornton Schnevly, of Los Angeles; and Mrs. Katherine Stein; 16 grand children, two great grandchildren and one sister, Mrs. Ed Kutzner of Baraboo, Wis. The funeral service will be held Saturday at 9 a.m. at St., Bonaventure's church with burial in the parish cemetery. The body will lie in state at the McKown Funeral home until the hour of the service.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, June 9, 1934
KRZYCKI--Mrs. Phillip Krzycki Dies - Mrs. Phillip Krzycki, 50, residing on a farm five and a half miles northeast of Columbus, succumbed to a lingering illness of one and a half years' duration at 9:10 p.m. yesterday at St. Mary's hospital. Her death was due to cancer. She was removed from her home to the hospital when her condition became critical two weeks ago and was bedfast during that period. As Miss Victoria Klimek, she was born on Dec. 17, 1883 at Farwell, Neb. She spent her early life there, and after she grew to womanhood, she came to Columbus, where she met Mr. Krzycki. They were married at St. Bonaventure's church on Nov. 9, 1904. They established their home on Mr. Krzycki's farm, where they have since resided. Mrs. Krzycki was a member of the Spanish American War Veterans auxiliary, Columbus camp No. 4. Besides her husband, she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Leo Krzywa, of Silver Creek; two sons, Clarence and Bernard Krzycki, at home; one adopted daughter, Miss Leona Krzycki, at home; three brothers, Mike Klimek, of Loup City, Casimir Klimek, of Niles, Mich., and Walter Klimek, of South Bend, Ind.; three sisters, Mrs. John Tomasiewicz, of Genoa, Mrs. Frank Washmak, of Bremen, Ind., and Mrs. Frank Pianowski, of Mishawaka, Ind., and one granddaughter. Funeral services will be held at 9:30 a.m. Monday at St. Bonaventure's church of which she had been a member for many years. Rev. Fr. Salvator, pastor, will officiate. Burial will be made in the Catholic cemetery. The body will lie in state at the McKown Funeral home until tormorrow noon, when it will be taken to the family home.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, June 11, 1934
SOKOL--Duncan Man Drops Dead - Thomas Sokol, 40, who spent his entire life in and near Duncan, dropped dead at 11:50 a.m. yesterday in the offices of Dr. F.B. Cyphers in Duncan, where he had gone a few minutes before for medical attention. He had complained of feeling ill last Wednesday, and since then had been receiving treatment for heart disease. He went to the doctor's office yesterday morning, and was there but a short time when stricken with a heart attack. He died almost instantly. Mr. Sokol was born on June 21, 1893, on a farm northeast of Duncan, where he made his home until 1926 when he moved to Duncan, where he was employed as a truck driver by his brother, Leo Sokol. He was a member of St. Stanislaus' Catholic church. He is survived by three brothers, Frank Sokol, of St. Edward; Charles, of Julesburg, Colo., and Leo, of Duncan, and four sisters, Mrs. Martin Koziol, of Fullerton; Mrs. Mary Flakus of Grand Island; Mrs. Henry Micek and Mrs. Frank Robak, both of Duncan. Funeral services will be held at 9 a.m. Tuesday at St. Stanislaus' church. Burial will be made in the parish cemetery. The body will be taken late this afternoon to the home of his sister, Mrs. Robak, in Duncan, where it will lie in state until the hour of the funeral.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, July 23, 1934
HIGGINS--The funeral of Mrs. Higgins, whose death occurred yesterday afternoon, will be held at 9 a.m. Wednesday at St. Joseph's Catholic church in Platte Center. Rev. Fr. Leo Mainzer, pastor, will officiate, and burial will be made in St. Patrick's cemetery.
    Miss Catherine Elizabeth Conley was born on Oct. 6, 1856 at Napanoch, N.Y., where she spent the first 10 years of her life. The family then moved to Seneca, Ill., and while residing there, she met and was married to Edward Higgins on Mar. 17, 1875. They moved to Oskaloosa, Ia., and after a short time, Mr. Higgins came to Nebraska to join his brother, who was farming on what is now the town site of Platte Center. He was later joined there by Mrs. Higgins and they made their home on a farm a mile south of Platte Center.
    Mr. Higgins passed away on Jan. 4, 1918, and Mrs. Higgins then moved from their farm into Platte Center. Throughout the years she has been a devout member of the Catholic church at Platte Center and has taken an active part in its progress.
    She is survived by five daughters, Mrs. J. T. Gleason and Miss Abbie Higgins, of Platte Center, Mrs. William Naylon, of Omaha, Mrs. Guy Jarvis, of Greeley, Colo., and Mrs. L. O. Fangman, of Kearney; two sons, Dr. William P. Higgins, of Albion, and John Higgins, of Longmont, Colo., and 20 grandchildren. Two sons and two daughters preceded her in death.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, August 3, 1934
KNEFF--John Kneff Dies - John Kneff, 64, passed away at 6 a.m. today at St. Mary's hospital where he had been receiving medical treatment for four months. He has been in failing health for the last two years. His death was due to Bright's disease. Mr. Kneff has been located in Columbus and vicinity for the last several years, working as a farm hand and at other odd jobs. Little is known of his early life. He was an inmate at the county farm for two years prior to entering the hospital. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Jennie Fite, of Dayton, Wash., who has been notified of his death. The funeral arrangements will not be completed until word is received from Mrs. Fite. The body is at the McKown Funeral home.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, September 25, 1934
    Cedar Rapids, Sept. 25 (Special to The Telegram) - Funeral services for Mrs. Joseph A. Kleve, 61, who died at her home here Saturday were held yesterday morning at St. Anthony's Catholic church, with Rev. Fr. Vermullen, pastor, officiating. Burial was made in the Sunset cemetery. The active pallbearers were Alphonse and Arnold Korth, Raymond, Frank and Herman Schmitz and Leonard Lachnit. The honorary pallbearers were Mrs. Barbara Dieter, Mrs. Hughs, Mrs. Joseph Heitoff, Mrs. Faust, Mrs. Jacob Rutten and Mrs. Fred Batenhorst.
    As Miss Theresa Lachnit, she was born on July 8, 1873 in Austria, and came to this country with her parents when she was six months of age. Locating in Nebraska in this vicinity, she grew to womanhood, and in 1890 she was united in marriage to Mr. Kleve, who survives her.
    Besides Mr. Kleve, she is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Genevieve Rutten, of Cedar Rapids; nine sons, William, Lawrence, Edwin and Marcellus Kleve, all of Cedar Rapids, Alfred, of Wolbach, Sylvester, of Albion, Walter, of Bartlett, Joseph, jr., of Kilgore, and Frank, of Holyoke, Colo.; three brothers, Jack Lachnit, of Cedar Rapids, Henry Lachnit, of Humphrey and Louis Lachnit, of Columbus; three sisters, Mrs. Peter Schmitz and Mrs. Peter Korth, of Cedar Rapids, and Miss Mary Lachnit, of Columbus; and 23 grandchildren. She was preceded in death by two sons.
    Those from out-of-town attending the last rites were Mr. and Mrs. B.J. German, Mrs. Victoria Wemhoff, Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Weiser, Frank German and Mrs. Kate Fehringer, of St. Mary's; Mr. and Mrs. P.J. O'Brian of Omaha; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Brockhaus, Gus Widhelm, Mr. and Mrs. Matt Brockhaus, Henry Lachnit, Miss Margaret Lachnit and Mr. and Mrs. John Fuchs, of Humphrey; Mr. and Mrs. Killian Korth, William Korth, Mrs. Henry Loeffler, of Lindsay; Louis Lachnit, Louis Schroeder and son, Jerome, Mrs. Frances Phillips, Mrs. William Schroeder, and Miss Mary Lachnit, of Columbus; Sylvester Schmitz and Mrs. Frank Bender, of Cornlea; Mrs. Lawrence Dreifurst, of St. Bernard, and Mr. and Mrs. Peter Rutten, of David City.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, October 29 (?), 1934
KNISELY--THOMAS KNISELY OF OMAHA DIES; VICTIM OF HEART DISEASE - Funeral Services Will Be Held Here Wednesday Following Services in Omaha Tuesday
    Omaha World-Herald: Thomas J. Knisely, 1922 South Thirty-sixth street, for 18 years a member of The World-Herald advertising staff, died at a local hospital Sunday morning following an illness of two months.
    Mr. Knisely was prominent in Masonic circles. He was a past patron of Trinity chapter, O.E.S., a member of Delta chapter No. 60, Royal Arch Masons, Mount Calvary commandery, K.T., Scottish Rite, thirty-second degree, K.C.C.H. and of Tangier Temple Shrine.
    Surviving are his wife, Jennie; three stepsons, Harry Hagel of Omaha, Chauncey Hagel, Schuyler, Neb., and Michael Hagel, Lincoln; a sister, Mrs. Hazel Quillin, New Philadelphia, O., and a brother, Ralph, of Ravenna, O.
    Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 2 p.m. from the Scottish Rite cathedral. The Masoic service will be in charge of Mizpah lodge No. 302, A.F. and A.M. Burial will in the family plot, Columbus, Neb.
    Well Known Here
    Mr. Knisely, whose death was due to heart trouble from which he had suffered the last three years although it did not become acute until the last two months, was well known in Columbus, having been a frequent visitor here. He and Mrs. Knisely, the former Mrs. Jennie Loshbaugh Hagel, of Columbus, were married here about 19 years ago. Mrs. Knisely is a sister of George Loshbaugh and Mrs. Fred Hollenbeck, of Columbus.
    After the funeral services are held in Omaha at 2 p.m. tomorrow, the body will be brought to Columbus on Union Pacific train No. 15 at 6:35 p.m. tomorrow and taken to the Gass funeral home. Masonic services will be conducted at the Gass funeral home at 2 p.m. Wednesday, and burial will be made in Columbus cemetery.
    Mr. and Mrs. George Loshbaugh and sons, Carroll and George, jr., will go to Omaha tomorrow forenoon to attend the services there returning here tomorrow evening. Mrs. Hollenbeck left last week for a trip to her homestead in Wyoming and relatives hae not yet been able to get word to her of Mr. Knisely's death.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, November 8, 1934
KLAUS--Dies in Denver - John Klaus, 70, former Columbus resident, passed away at 4:15 p.m. yesterday at the Rocky Mountain Osteopathic hospital in Denver, according to a message received here by his cousin, Mrs. Charles Jazwieck, who resides near Platte Center. Mr. Klaus had been in Denver for the last three months for his health, and was in the hospital for two weeks. The cause of his death was not given in the message. He was a native of Poland, and had resided in Columbus for many years where he was employed in the round house of the Burlington railroad for 37 years. Four years ago he was retired on pension. He never married, and other than a sister residing in Poland, his only relatives are cousins. The body will arrive here on Union Pacific train No. 12 early tomorrow morning, and will lie in state at the Joe Jazwieck home, 753 Twenty-sixth avenue, until 10 a.m. Saturday when funeral services will be held in Duncan at St. Stanislaus' Catholic church. Rev. Fr. Mack, pastor, will officiate and burial will be made in the cemetery there. Gass funeral home will be in charge of the funeral.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, November 26, 1934
BOSS--Following an illness of the last 3 months duration, Mrs. Emilie Boss, 81, pioneer resident of the Gruetli neighborhood, passed away at 9:25 a.m. today at the home of her son, Fred Boss, 3 miles west of Silver Creek. She had been making her home there since last spring, and became ill early in September. Her death was due to complications incident to her advanced age. As Miss Emilie Gisin, she was born on September 2, 1853 in Altingan, Basel county, Switzerland, and came to the U.S. in June, 1873 with her sister the late Mrs. John Klug. They located in the Gruetli neighborhood, and that fall she was married to Christian Boss. They settled on his homestead in Platte county and since that time she had made her home in and near that community. She was a long time member of the German Reformed Church and for many years was active in the Ladies Aid Society. Mr. Boss passed away on Feb 22, 1902 and since that time she has resided at different intervals with her sons and daughters. She is survived by four sons, Chris, Fred, Louis Boss, of Silver Creek, and Carl Boss whom they have not heard from for the past several years. One step son John Boss; two daughters, Mrs. Mike Blaser and Mrs. Paul Blaser, of Duncan; 18 grandchildren, and two great grandchildren. Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday at the Fred Boss home, and at 2 p.m. at the German Reformed church in Gruetli, with Rev. C. W. Deglow, pastor, officiating. Burial will be made in the church cemetery. The body is at the Gass Funeral home.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, December 4 (?), 1934
KAUFFMAN--Dies in Spalding - Harry Kauffman, residing at 2508 Twenty-first street, well-known Columbus railroad man, died suddenly yesterday afternoon of a cerebral hemorrhage, while at his desk in the office car at Spalding, Neb. Mr. Kauffman was foreman of the bridge and building crew of the Union Pacific Railroad company, and had been with that company for many years. His death was discovered when employes of the railroad went into the car and found him dead. The body was brought here last evening, and was taken to the Gass Funeral home. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Methodist Episcopal church, with Rev. A.L. Geisinger, of Grand Island, and Rev. A.T. McFarland, pastor of the church here, conducting the services. The body was taken to the family home this afternoon, where it will lie in state until the hour of the funeral.
The Columbus Daily Telegram, December 18, 1934
KILLIAN--William Killian Dies - William Killian, 75, who made his home for the last 15 years with Mr. and Mrs. William Stevenson, who reside east of Columbus, passed away at 1:30 a.m. today at Lutheran Good Samaritan hospital where he had been since Sunday. He was taken ill Saturday, and suffered a stroke of apoplexy early Sunday morning. Mr. Killian came here 15 years ago from Albion, and went to work as a hired man on the Stevenson farm. Mr. Killian never discussed his life prior to coming here with the Stevensons, and nothing is known about him. It is believed that he had no relatives. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Gass chapel, with Rev. J.H. Steger, pastor of the Evangelical Protestant church, officiating. Burial will be made in Columbus cemetery.

Return to Platte Co. Home Page | Platte Co. Vital Records

Thursday, 01-Jan-2015 07:20:45 MST

Platte County NEGenWeb Project Page
This is a free site. © 2011 slb. This page may not be copied or distributed or accessed for profit without the written permission of the copyright holder or the owner of this site. Please notify the site owner if you have come to this site as a result of a paid subscription to another site.