Red Willow County Nebraska Town Names
BANKSVILLE: Peak population in 1910 19. Post office established Feb 10, 1886; discontinued Sep 30, 1907. Named in honor of Edward Banks, former sheriff and father of Mrs. Winfield S. Webster.
BARTLEY: Peak pop in 1910 511. P.O. established Jul 29, 1886. Named in honor of Rev. Allen Bartley, Methodist Episcopal minister who homesteaded the land on which the town was platted in July 1886.
BILLINGSVILLE: A proposed townsite located in 1871 by Mr. Billings from Cheyenne WY territory. Never went beyond platting stage.
BONDVILLE: Peak pop in 1890 12. P.O. established Mar 13, 1882; discontinued Dec 6, 1887. Named in honor of Wm. Bond, first postmaster.
BOX ELDER: P.O. established Sep 30, 1879; discontinued Jun 15, 1911. Named for the heavy growth of box elder timber in locale.
CAMPBELL: Formerly Perry.
CAMP RED WILLOW: Early army depot established during Indian uprisings in the western part of the state.
CANBY: P.O. established Jun 23, 1874; discontinued Aug 20, 1875. Name origin unknown. Dr. Bennett first postmaster.
COON CREEK: Early settlement named for local stream where numerous racoon trapped.
DANBURY: Peak pop 1930 321. P.O. established Dec 24, 1873; name changed to Danbury Station Jan 13, 1888; changed back to Danbury Apr 16, 1888. Named in honor of Danbury, CT, former home of first postmaster, George Gilbert.
FAIRVIEW: P.O. established Jul 2, 1879; name changed to McCook Jun 14, 1882. Named in honor of its descriptive location and commands a view of the Republican Valley. S. Homer Calvin, postmaster.
HAMBURGH: A former P.O. between Danbury and Lebanon. P.O. established Nov 24, 1879; discontinued Jan 18, 1888. Named in honor of Hamburg, Germany.
INDIANOLA: Peak pop 1930 815. P.O. established Jun 25, 1873. Named in honor of Indianola, Iowa former home of Mr. Starbuck. First postmaster Dr. A.J. Shaw. Platted by Rep Valley Land Assn. surveyed by D.N. Smith May 1873. Indianola was made county seat but lost the title in election with McCook Apr 1896.
LEBANON: Peak pop 1930 262. P.O. established Sep 12, 1873. Named in honor of Lebanon, Ohio former home of Mr. B.F. Bradbury.
LURAY: P.O. established Jun 23 1884; discontinued Sep 21, 1886. Named in honor of Luray, Virginia probably.
MARION: Peak pop 1930 252. P.O. established Jan 15, 1902. Named in honor of Marion Powell prominent in towns livestock and feed business. BN chose the name Marion because there was already a Powell township.
McCOOK: Peak pop 1980 8,404. P.O. named changed from Fairview Jun 14, 1882. Name given by BN RR in honor of Union general Alexander McDowell McCook. City platted by Lincoln Land Co. Won county seat election against Indianola Apr 15, 1896.
NARCISSUS: P.O. established Nov 14, 1879; discontinued Jul 26, 1880. Name origin unknown.
PERRY: Station on the CBQ RR named in honor of W.S. Perry, super of bridges on the McCook division. Formerly called Campbell.
RED WILLOW: Peak pop 1890 105. P.O. established Apr 22, 1872; discontinued Apr 31, 1912. First PO in county. Named in honor of county and creek of local Republican Valley Land Co.
SHIPPEE: Peak pop 1930 14. P.O. established Feb 10, 1913; discontinued 1934. Named for Leonard Shippee first postmaster and early resident.
SILVER CREEK: P.O. established May 5, 1876; discontinued Mar 12, 1877. Named in honor of local creek.
STOUGHTON: A former PO between Danbury and Cedar Bluffs, Kansas. P.O. established Mar 24, 1880; discontinued Feb 5, 1886. Named for Rev. Stoughton early homesteader.
TYRONE: P.O. established Mar 4, 1881; discontinued May 5, 1902. Named in honor of Tyrone, Pa. by first postmaster.
VAILTON: P.O. established Mar 29, 1881; discontinued Aug 17, 1900. Name origin given as it was a valley in Driftwood Creek. R.H. Williams first postmaster.
VALLEY GRANGE: P.O. established Sep 29, 1873; discontinued Feb 4, 1884. Probably received name from the active Natl Grange organization. Located in a valley of the Driftwood near McCook. William Fitch first postmaster.
VAN WYCK: P.O. established Mar 28, 1881; discontinued Apr 6, 1883. Named in honor of Charles H. Van Wyck, U.S. Senator.
WHITNEY: P.O. established Mar 12, 1877; moved to Red Willow County Aug 1, 1879 from Furnas County. P.O. discontinued Dec 23, 1884. Named in honor of B.F. Whitney, early settler, store owner and local official.
WILLOW GROVE: P.O. established Jun 25, 1879; discontinued Aug 28, 1882. Named for a grove of willow trees near post office.
These records were compiled for the South West Nebraska Genealogical Society by Sherrie Dack.
Copyright © 2001 Thomas E Corey