Many of the early burials were reinterments of family members who had been buried in South Omaha cemeteries, including St. Mary Magdalene and St. Mary's Cemeteries.
St. John's is under the Patronage of St. John Kanty (1390-1473). Also known as John Cantius, this Polish saint was a parish priest for a short time, but was especially known as a Professor of Scripture and was noted for his scholarship, austerity and concern for the poor. He was declared the Patron of Poland and Lithuania in 1737 and was canonized in 1767.
The deed for this land was signed 21 Mar 1924 by Vaclav Pivonka conbveying "The South East quarter of the North East quarter of Section 17, Township 14, Range 13, containing forty acres more or less " to St. John's Cemetery Assoc." The consideration was $40,000 ($1000 per acre). The deed was filed 26 Mar 1924 in Book 52, Page 434.
This is the largest cemetery in Sarpy County, with approximately 5400 burials, accounting for about 30% of the oer 18,000 burials to date in Sarpy County. Established as a Polish cemetery, the majority of those buried there are Polish, but numerous other ethnic groups, including many Czechs, Lithuanians and Hispanics, are represented. A majority of those interred at St. John's are former residents of South Omaha.
The cemetery is located at 7605 So. 36th St. and is well maintained by a professional staff and has a resident sexton. The office is located on the grounds and is open weekdays (8-5) and Saturdays (8-11).
St. John's and Forest City Cemeteries have the distinction of containing the only two mausoleums in the county, both of which are small family ones. However plans are being made for the construction of a large mausoleum and columbarium on the cemetery grounds.
Gary Iske, Sarpy County Genealogical Society, 1995.