Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

| Back to Cemetery Index | |Poor Farm Cemetery

PLATTEFORD CEMETERY

The town of Platteford was for a short time a bustling little town located on the Platte River in Southwestern Sarpy County. It was established in the 1850's as one of the county's earliest established settlements and incorporated in 1857. Included within the original city limits was a cemtery, where burials began in 1858 At the time of the establishment of the cemetery, prospects for Platteford looked quite rosy and the necessity of a large cemetery was assumed.

It was laid out with 144 lots and a wide "road" through the middle named "Central Avenue." It was said by the year 1883 the site of the town of Platteford raised a good corn crop. Its earlier prospects had dimmed, to say the least. The cemetery, however, was still in used until the early part of this century. Even so, only a small portion was ever used for burials and most of the space within the cemetery is vacant.

It is located in the Northeast Quarter of Sec 18, Twp 12, Range 11, near 194th and Sack Rd. There is no public access to the cemetery, which is surrounded by private land.

The deed, however, wasn't actually signed until 28 Jun 1886, when W. H. Davidson and wife sold a 2 1/2 acre plot of land to the Plattford [sic] Cemetery Association for $45.00 The deed was filed 22 Sep 1886 and recorded in Book "Q", Page 465. The plat of the cemtery was recorded in Book "Q", Page 464.

Gary Iske, Sarpy County Genealogical Society, 1995.

Back to Sarpy County