Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

| Back to Cemetery Index | |Portal Cemetery

POOR FARM CEMETERY

The Sarpy County Poor Farm was established in the mid 1870's as a place of residence for paupers. Prior to that time individuals were paid to take in these charity cases and provide them with board and room and other necessities. Tobacco was considered one of these "necessities" and shows up on the bills turned into the county for reimbursement. It was decided that a central facility would be more efficient for caring for the county's indigents.

Over the years residents of the Poor Farm and other charity cases were buried in a small cemetery on the north boundary of the farm. None of the graves is marked.

The Poor Farm was sold in the mid 1970's alsmost exactly a century after its establishment. The proceeds of the sale were applied towards the cost of building the new Sarpy County Courthouse.

The former Poor Farm, including its cemetery, are now private property. The Poor Farm was lacated at 132nd and Platteview Rd. just outside Springfield and consisted of 160 acres, the Southwest Quarter of Sec. 18, Twp 13, Range 12.

Gary Iske, Sarpy County Genealogical Society, 1995.

Back to Sarpy County