Saunders County NEGenWeb Project
Past and Present of Saunders County Nebraska, 1915
THE CITY OF ASHLANDSETTLEMENT AND GOVERNMENT
The name of Ashland was given to the town by a Mr. Argyle. It is said that he was a great admirer of Henry Clay and that many years ago, while conversing with A. B. Fuller, the present oldest living settler in the county, told him that while making a fishing excursion up the Salt Creek, he was attracted by the beauty of the scenery and the advantages of the location for a town site, and accordingly had named it Ashland in honor of the home of his ideal statesman, Clay.
Ashland was formally organized at its first meeting, held March 4, 1870. Dennis Dean was elected chairman and Mr. Willsie clerk of the board of trustees. At a meeting held June 17th J. H. Snell was appointed treasurer and it was ordered by the board that the collector call upon Messrs. Hiemer and Locke and require them to take out a city license to retail malt and spirituous liquors, as required by the statutes of the state. This was the first official business of the town. C. M. Folsom was appointed clerk in place of Willsie, who resigned. On May 22, 1871, the second election was held and the following officers elected: Andrew Marble, chairman; H. H. Packard, treasurer; A. B. Chamberlain, clerk; J. B. Lininger, street commissioner.
The election of 1872 was held on May 31st and the following were elected: Henry Johnson, chairman; A. B. Chamberlain, clerk; M. C. Long, treasurer. The election of May 19, 1873, resulted as follows: Henry Johnson, chairman; H. W. Curtis, treasurer; J. A. Jury, clerk; J. G. Whitlock, marshal and street commissioner. On May 11, 1874, William B. Morris was made chairman; J. B. Lininger, treasurer; and J. A. Jury, clerk. The issue of this election was the temperance question and the drys were in the majority.
94 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
On May 11, 1875, J. M. Bond was chosen chairman of the board; H. W. Curtis, treasurer; Joseph Arnold, clerk; B. S. dark, marshal; J. Q. Whitlock, street commissioner. On May 23, 1876, Henry Johnson was again named as chairman; H. B. Curtis, treasurer; Joseph Arnold, clerk; O. A. Pierce, collector; and George Buck, marshal and street commissioner. The same officials were chosen in the following year.
On April 16, 1878, Ashland was organized as a city of the second class and the following officers were elected: Ben S. dark, mayor; J. R. Watts, city clerk; J. H. Snell, A. D. Frazier, E. M. Park, W, C. Scott, councilmen, the first two for the First Ward and the other two for the Second Ward. The business of the first meeting of this new body was to learn whether or not their organization as a city government was legal in every respect; they found that everything was according to law. City Treasurer Jury resigned November 2, 1878, and H. W. Curtis was elected to fill his place by a special election on January 4, 1879. H. H. Packard was elected councilman to fill a vacancy. On January 14, 1879, the council voted to purchase fire apparatus for the city and on January 22d a contract was closed for three chemical engines and a hook and ladder truck, costing $1,700, and it was voted by the city to issue its bonds to that amount, which was done, and shortly after the contractors. Champion Fire Extinguisher Company of Louisville, Ky., sent the machines.
The second city election was held April 5, 1879, and the following officials were chosen: Ben S. dark, mayor; H. W. Curtis, city treasurer; A. H. Gould, clerk; J. H. Snell, Dennis Dean, Samuel Stratton, councilmen; David Wingood, police judge; William Hardin, city engineer; George Hoffman, marshal. The first action by the new city officials was to refuse to carry out the contract for the fire apparatus and to deliver the bonds. A law suit was begun by the Louisville company against the City of Ashland, which suit was subsequently withdrawn and the apparatus shipped back to the plant.
At this time Ashland faced the same situation as Wahoo and many other towns over the state. The Legislature passed an act in 1879, making it necessary for a city to have a population of 1,500 inhabitants in order to retain its franchise as a city of the second class. The best Ashland could do was 1,100 inhabitants
Christian Church, Ashland
Bird's Eye View of Ashland
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY 95
and so the city administration died and April 8, 1880, Ashland was organized as a village, with the following trustees and officers: Dennis Dean, J. H. Snell, H. W. Curtis, Samuel Stratton and O. A. Pierce, trustees; H. W. Curtis, treasurer; A. H. Gould, clerk.
In 1886 Ashland again returned the second class status and has so remained.
An account of the first people to come to the site of Ashland is written in the chapter treating the early settlement of the county. This was the first community to be formed in the county, due principally to its location and the presence of a splendid ford. In 1867 Haine and Valentine opened a large stock of general merchandise on the north side of Main Street and in the fall of 1868 built the first stone block upon the south side. The Snell Block was constructed in the winter of 1869-70, the Bank Block in the fall of 1871 on Silver Street and the courthouse in the summer of 1870. The courthouse, after it passed out of usage, was purchased by Dr. A. S. von Mansfelde, modernized, and turned into a private hospital. James H. Snell, who built the Snell Block, circulated a petition in February, 1866, and was instrumental in having the Legislature change the name of the towns Saline Ford and Flora City and merged into Ashland. He was elected first village treasurer in June, 1870, and also served several years as councilman and as a member of the school board. He built the first brick house in Saunders County in 1867 and in 1869-70, as above mentioned, erected the Snell Block at the corner of Fourth and Silver streets. Mr. Snell, with his brother William, started the second store in the town and ran it for ten years, or until 1876. Many of the early business structures of the town were built by him as contractor. In 1890 he built the Jewell Roller Mills and was engaged in operating this plant until July, 1911, when he was forced out of business by the action of the Clear Creek Drainage District in removing his power and mill dam in Salt Creek. He moved to Lincoln in 1912.
Archibald Wiggins was the first to come on to the town site, erected the first frame building and
96 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
opened a general store in the spring of 1868. The same year Hume and Border erected a dam across Salt Creek and constructed a flouring mill. The original portion of the business section was located on the lowland near Salt Creek, and after 1869 gradually moved up to the high land. Joseph Humes, M. K. Hall and Giles Fruman were settlers within the corporate limits of the town; Doctor McClung early began the practice of his profession here; Humes and Warbritton operated a sawmill in conjunction; Howe opened a wagon shop; M. K. Hall a blacksmith shop. William Warbritton opened a general merchandise store in 1863 and by some authorities this is claimed to have been the second in the town, also in the county. After Dennis Dean constructed his mill in the year 1864 the town began to grow more rapidly and from this date may be computed the true development of Ashland.
At the first general election in 1867 the county seat was located at Ashland and at a regular meeting of the commissioners for and in Saunders County on February 2, 1870, a petition was presented, signed by C. H. Walker, M. Willsie, A. B. Fuller, I. N. Atkinson and thirty-eight others, asking that the town be incorporated. This was granted and Dennis Dean, T. W. Valentine, T. B. Wilson, J. H. Snell and M. Willsie were appointed trustees. John L. Tidball, J. M. Bond and W. P. Snell were appointed judges, and G. W. Sheppard, E. V. Kidner, clerks of election. After a long contest, in the fall of 1873, the county seat was taken away from Ashland and moved to Wahoo.
A list of Ashland business houses published in the late '70s gives the following: A. Marble, drugs; V. Albert, harness; Ashland Liberty Club Saloon; II. W. Curtis & Company, grain; S. S. Abbott, confectionery; W. A. Knapp, blacksmith; Snell Brothers, groceries; E. A. Wiggenhorn, lumber and coal; N. H. Whittemore, bakery; Ashland Elevator, Palmerton & Sanders; Cole and Morris, hardware; J. S. Green, Lola Mills; A. D. Eraser, groceries; Girard Oxenburcher, tailor; J. R. Watts, jeweler; Hobart Brush, drugs; Lee Miller, windmills; H. H. Shedd, general store; John McMillan, boots and shoes; James M. Bond & Company, hardware and stoves.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY 97
In 1864 Mr. Warbritton built a house partly of logs at the foot of what is now Third Street. The house consisted of two rooms and an attic. In 1865 he traded it to Mr. Barnhill, who had been keeping a ranch near the Butler County line. He enlarged the log cabin with a porch and made a hotel of it. This was the first hotel in this part of the country and perhaps the first west of Plattsmouth. This building was enlarged from time to time and from 1866 to 1870 did a very large business, as there was a great amount of overland travel and many settlers coming in to look for land. All the business at that time in Ashland was on the bottoms. The next hotel was the Munhall House, afterward the D. Snell residence. It was built in 1869 by a Methodist minister named Munhall, but was operated only a couple of years, the opening of the Snell House destroying its business. The Snell House was constructed in 1869 by J. H. and W. P. Snell and John Palmerton. It was opened in the spring of 1870 when the railroad came through and A. B. Fuller was the first landlord. Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Snell, Mr. Patton, Jordon, Mr. and Mrs. N. H. Whittemore, and Mr. and Mrs. Molven ran the place at different times until 1884, when it was transformed into a business house. The Exchange Hotel was the next, a two-story frame, built by a stock company and opened July 4, 1880, with Elder Clarke as landlord, followed by Hackney and H. K. Dunbar. This structure was burned in 1887. The Selma Hotel was built after the Exchange burned. The Wiggenhorns put $20,000 into a very handsome block and it was opened in 1888 with Dunbar in charge. The Clifton House was built in 1885 by Clifton Hinkley and the Platte Valley House was also opened up sometime in the '80s. These old hotels were places of much interest and entertainment. In those days there were no motion picture shows to entertain the people and the hotel was naturally the congregating place for the town. Many interesting stories are told of the early Ashland hotels, not the least of them being the eccentricities of Mr. Patton, who once ran the Snell House. He gained fame by the use of a large farm bell hung on the outside of the house, which he would ring violently at meal times. Many pranks were played on this man by the youth of the town.
98 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
The first bank in Ashland was a private bank operated by the Simongton Brothers. This was in 1871. It was succeeded by the Bank of Ashland, with John R. dark, cashier of the First National Bank of Lincoln, as president, and Samuel Waugh as cashier. This bank continued in business for two or three years. Then came the First National Bank in 1873, organized by John Simongton with a capital stock of $2.5,000. The bank ran until 1883 and then was suspended from business. In March, 1883, John R. dark, D. D. Cooley, John Fitzgerald, O. M. Carter and Samuel Waugh organized the National Bank of Ashland with a capital of $50,000. A building was constructed in 1889. This bank is now in operation at Ashland; Randall K. Brown is president; J. C. Railsback, vice president; F. E. White, cashier; and Leon H. White, assistant cashier. The capital stock is $60,000, the surplus $20,000, and the deposits average $200,000.
In 1883 E. A. Wiggenhorn started in the private banking business. In 1904 the bank was incorporated as a state bank with E. A. Wiggenhorn as president and H. A. Wiggenhorn as cashier. During the same year the former died and then H. A. Wiggenhorn became president, a position which he still holds. E. C. Wiggenhorn is the cashier of the institution and E. A. Wiggenhorn assistant cashier. W. A. Harnsberger is the vice president. The bank has a capital of $75,000, a surplus of $25,000, and the deposits average about $565,000.
In no town in Nebraska of similar size are there better banking facilities and financial credits than in Ashland. The two banks are of confirmed standing, veterans in the banking game, and always have been judged worthy of extreme confidence. The size of the deposits -- practically $800,000 in a town of Ashland's size -- is ample proof of the amount of business done in the southeastern corner of Saunders County.
Addison Carr, while teaming in tile winter of 1867, hauled the first printing press to Ashland, bringing it overland from the Town of Plattsmouth. Carr happened to be the first man to
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY 99
marry in the county which, however, has nothing to do with the printing press. The Ashland Gazette was started in 1879 by John Richhart, and then was owned by T. J. Picket, now editor of the Wahoo Wasp, W. N. Becker, P. L. Carroll and Glenn Howard. The latter purchased the plant of Carroll in June, 1914, and today is publishing a very successful paper and with a good subscription list.
J. B. La Chappelle owned and edited a paper called the Saunders County Journal from 1897 until 1907, when the plant was destroyed by fire and the paper never revived.
George B. Pickett published the Ashland News from 1897 to 1899, when it also died.
A paper called the Summer Breeze was published in Ashland for a short time in 1896 by Harry Graves Shedd.
The first newspaper in the town was the Ashland Times which was established on April 8, 1870, by Orin H. Matthews.
The Ashland Electric Light Company was started in the year 1889.
The postmasters of Ashland have been, in the order of their service: John P. Palmerton, T. W. Valentine, Mr. Young, Mr. Weber, A. B. Chamberlain, T. J. Pickett, R. M. Scott, Alex Laverty, T. J. Pickett, Mrs. Catherine Du Boise, S. B. Hall and J. H. Oliver.
The Swift Ice Plant has the largest storage capacity in the world of similar character. This plant was started in 1890. The total storage capacity is more than 100,000 tons; there are twenty-four rooms of 5,000 tons capacity.
The City of Ashland is fortunate in having an excellent public library. The modern city is coming to recognize the necessity of a library, where the public, particularly the people who have never had the advantage of a library, may have the privilege of keeping themselves informed. The idea originated in Ashland in 1910-11. The Woman's Club of the town, Reverend Dark, and E.C. Wiggenhorn were largely responsible for its inception. The sum of $5,500 was secured from the great philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, and the total cost of the building was $7,000.
100 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
Ernest A. Wiggenhorn, Jr., donated the ground on which the building stands and H. A. Wiggenhorn put on a $500 roof. Numerous other citizens donated various sums to aid in the construction. Ground was broken for the building in October, 1911, and the building was opened the last of March, 1912, with Jessie Scott as librarian. The contract for the erection of the library was given to W. R. Shankland of Lincoln, Neb.
In 1881 a fair association was organized at Ashland, called the Eastern District Fair Association. H. H. Shedd was the president, and D. D. Cooley the secretary. Ground was rented on what is now the Decker farm, a track laid out, sheds and stalls built, and a large circus tent bought to serve as an art hall. This fair never was successful.
The Salt, Wahoo, Clear, and other creeks, with the Platte River about two miles from town, are splendid sources of water supply. The Platte River, at a point near the new rifle range, is spanned by one of the best steel toll bridges in the state. It was erected in 1911 at a cost of $17,000 and is 960 feet in length. It was opened for business in December of that year. During the high water of 1911 the Ashland wagon bridge was the only one on the Platte which withstood the flood, even a span of the Burlington bridge, just below it, going out under the force of the water.
The Town of Ashland is located in the southwest corner of the county, on the main line of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, thirty miles west of Omaha, and twenty-five miles northeast of Lincoln. It also has the southern terminal for the Great Northern Railroad to Sioux City, Ia., reaching points in the Dakotas and Minnesota. The Schuyler branch of the Burlington, connecting with the main line at Oreopolis, near Plattsmouth in Cass County, is also located here.
The United States Government recently purchased the site for a permanent rifle range, just north of town, where the state militia and the United States regulars will soon hold annual rifle practice. A rapid fire gun club was organized in Ashland by the adjutant general of the state.
The Bob McCook Post No. 31, Grand Army of the Republic, was organized at Ashland in 1880 with the following fifteen charter members; H. C. Brown, John dark, T. E. Margrave, J. A.
View of the Wahoo at Ashland
Silver Street, Ashland
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY 101
Jury, S. Crane, W. W. Crane, B. S. dark, E. J. Whipple, J. Dech, O. A. Pierce, J. S. Tyler, S. P. Hall, R. D. Pine, P. J. Hall, K. Huffman, T.L. Gray, J. P. Brook, H. Wakefield and R. H. Dexter.
Joseph Arnold, lawyer, came to Nebraska in 1864, and took up a homestead four miles south of the present town. Here he remained a year, then moved into the town and engaged at burning lime, the first burnt in the county. In 1867 he returned to the farm and stayed there until 1872, returned to Ashland and was appointed justice of the peace. Upon taking this office he began reading law and was admitted to the practice before Hon. George B. Lake in September, 1874. Was elected to State Legislature from Cass County in 1865 and was one of the framers of the first constitution in Nebraska, under which it was admitted as a state. He was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., September 11, 1833.
John P. Aughe was born in Clinton County, Ind., January 8, 1834, came to Nebraska in September, 1856, and located on Four Mile Creek in Cass County, Plattsmouth Precinct, and in February, 1857, came to Saunders County and made a claim on Wahoo Creek, where he resided until April, 1864, except during the time spent in freighting across the plans. His wife was the first school teacher in the county.
Lyman R. Brush was born in Waterloo, Wis., May 8, 1854, and came to Nebraska in 1864, with his parents, who located on a farm six miles north of the present Town of Ashland. He came to the town in '69 and started to clerk with Dr. William M. McClurg. Here he remained about two years, then engaging with this firm, until the spring of 1877, when he bought out Mr. Marble and then ran the store himself until 1879, when his brother, Hobart, went into partnership with him. Hobart Brush was born in Buffalo, N. Y., June 25, 1839, came to Nebraska in 1863, one year before his parents, located at Omaha, and came to Saunders County in 1867, and took up a homestead in section 2 in Clear Clerk Precinct, where he remained until 1873, when he came to Ashland and opened a drug store. He was the first county clerk of Saunders County.
Albert B. Chamberlain came to Nebraska in the spring of 1869, first locating at Omaha and Plattsmouth for the winter of
102 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
1869. In August, 1870, he moved to Ashland and took charge of a store for the firm of Doom Brothers. This position he held until 1873, when he was appointed postmaster. He was born in Massachusetts on December 4, 1841. He was a soldier in the Civil war.
Benjamin S. Dark came to Nebraska in the spring of 1873 and located at Ashland, starting to clerk in a hardware store. In March, 1877, he opened a store for himself. He was a native of Ohio and was born there in 1845; he served in an Illinois regiment during the war, and was mayor of Ashland during the years it first held city government.
Capt. John K. dark, a brother of the above, came to Nebraska in August, 1879, and located at Ashland, engaging with his brother in the hardware business. He was a member of the same company and regiment as his brother and for meritorious service in the army won the captain's rank. He was also born in Ohio, in the year 1841.
Daniel D. Cooley came to Nebraska in September, 1870, located at Ashland, and clerked for Lunninger & Reynolds. In the spring of 1871 he opened a general store in company with a Mr. Coburn near the present site of Wahoo, which he operated until January, 1875, then sold out and moved back to Ashland, formed a partnership with O. E. Reynolds, which he continued one year. In 1879 he formed another partnership, with A. B. Fuller, in the real estate business; they were also land agents for the Union Pacific and the Burlington railroads.
Henry W. Curtis came to Nebraska in 1869 and located on a farm three miles south of Ashland. Here he resided until 1872, when he moved to Ashland and started a general merchandise store, which he managed one year, then moved to Seward and Sutton, Neb., returning to Ashland in 1874 to deal in agricultural implements. He was born in Wyoming County, N. Y.. September 23, 1839.
James Danley, live stock dealer, came to Nebraska in July, 1865, and located at Plattsmouth, where he engaged in freighting across the plains, out as far as Fort Hills, or the foot of Medicine Bow Mountain, in Wyoming Territory, usually taking about three months to make the trip. In 1872 he went into the live stock business at Ashland.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY 103
Josiah J. Deck was a prominent early farmer of Ashland and adjacent territory. He came to the state in October, 1868, and took up a homestead. He served in the war with an Illinois regiment.
Col. Rodney Dexter came to Nebraska in January, 1868, and located at Ashland, and took up a claim. He was born in Ontario County, N. Y., on December 25, 1833.
Abel B. Fuller, the present oldest living white settler in the county, came to Nebraska in 1862 and located at Ashland in 1863, opened a general merchandise store and engaged in overland freighting from Plattsmouth to the mountains. This he followed until 1867, when he took up the real estate business and was appointed land agent for the Burlington and Union Pacific railroads. He was a member of the Legislature from Nebraska Territory in 1865-66 and from the state in 1867. Mr. Fuller is still living in Ashland at the age of seventy-eight years, having been born in Michigan on November 26, 1837.
Henry M. Flanders came to Nebraska in 1869 and started the second blacksmith shop at Ashland, which he ran until 1872. He was born in Maine in December, 1845.
Richard Gray, M. D., came to Nebraska in May, 1871, and started the practice of his profession in Ashland. He was a graduate of the Medical College of Ohio in 1853.
Samuel B. Hall located in Ashland in 1868. He was born in New Hampshire in 1841.
James R. Hayward came to Nebraska in 1860, while passing through to the State of Colorado, and while here concluded to return, which he did in 1866, and located on section 18, Clear Creek Precinct. He was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, on August 20, 1838.
Alex E. Jenks, born in New York State in 1815, came to Ashland in 1872 and started the first nursery in the county.
Jacob A. Jury located at Ashland in 1871 and engaged with the firm of Dean & Sons. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, February 23, 1840. Mr. Jury filled many official positions while living in Saunders County.
A. S. Mansfelde, M. D., came to Nebraska March 9, 1875, and located at Lincoln and on May 1, 1878, he moved to Ashland. He was born in Prussia on December 21, 1845, and received his
104 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
early education in his native country. He emigrated to the United States in 1861 and graduated with the Rush Medical College class of 1872. He is still practicing his profession at Ashland and is the city physician and health inspector. Doctor Mansfelde has been honored with several county and state positions among his fraternity.
Frank W. McIntyre came to Nebraska in 1868 and located seven miles northwest of Ashland on a farm which he homesteaded on section 18, Clear Creek Precinct. He stayed here until September, 1881, and then came into Ashland and started a general store.
Silas H. Nichols came to Nebraska in 1869 and remained at Ashland, where he opened the first furniture store in Saunders County. He was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., November 7, 1822, and during his life gained much prominence.
Hiram J. Paddock came to Nebraska in April, 1868, and located at Omaha, where he engaged with the Union Pacific and contracted for their wood sawing all along the line. This he continued until 1870, when he moved to Ashland and built and opened the first store where the business part of the city is now located. He brought the lumber by team from Omaha. Mr. Paddock was born in Utica, N. Y., July 30, 1815.
William C. Patton came to Ashland in the fall of 1873 and in the fall of 1874 started the store which was, after his death, managed by his sons, W. H. and George M. He was born in Orange County, N. Y., August 14, 1827.
Elwin M. Park came to the state in 1872 and started to practice his profession. He graduated at the Chicago Medical College in 1868. He was born in Vermont, March 22, 1847.
Orion A. Pierce came to Nebraska in 1868 from Vermont in company with six other men, and all settled near Ashland and began farming. Pierce settled on section 26, Greene Precinct, and resided there seven years, when he moved into Ashland. He was born in Vermont, August 28, 1841.
Lorean M. Putney came here in 1866 and located in Greene Precinct, on section 13. He was one of the earliest justices of the peace in the county. He was born in Ohio in 1831.
Jacob Saunders came to Nebraska in the autumn of 1863 and located on a farm on section 26, Clear Creek Precinct. His
A Residence Street in Ashland
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY 105
brother, William, came with him and located a short distance north of his land. They were among the first settlers in that vicinity. They were Pennsylvanians.
William P. Snell came to the state in March, 1865. He located on a farm four miles east of Ashland, in Cass County. He lived there until the following August and then moved to Ashland, which was then called Saline Ford. He entered into partnership with his brother, J. H, in the general merchandise business, which store was the second in the village. He was born in Mississippi on July 8, 1835.
Joseph Stambaugh, the first settler in the county, was born in York County, Penn., March 12, 1823. He was a son of John and Catherine Stambaugh, who were old settlers of Pennsylvania. His mother died in 1858 at an old age and his father died at the age of eighty-seven years. In 1842, when nineteen years old, Joseph Stambaugh left home and came to Darke, Ohio, where he started to work at the carpenter trade. Here he stayed until 1845, when he went to Berrien County, Mich., continued his carpenter work and wagon making, until the fall of 1855, then moved to Fulton County, Ill., where he remained until August, 1856, then came with his family to Nebraska and landed at Salt Creek Ford September 6, 1856. Here he lived but one month and then moved his family back to Cedar Island and there stayed all winter and returned in April, 1857, and made improvements on his claim which he made the previous fall. During May of the same year he brought his family back here. His claim was the first in Saunders County. He was married April 14, 1850, in Berrien County, Mich., to Catherine Zimmerman, who was born in Schuylkill County, Penn., September 30, 1832. They had over ten children.
Alexander Taylor, M. D., came to Nebraska in 1873 and located at Weeping Water, Cass County, where he practiced his profession until June, 1877, then came to Ashland and went into partnership with Dr. T. A. Bunnell. He was born in Ohio in 1823.
James Thomas located at Ashland in 1869 and opened a wagon shop and later went into partnership with Col. R. Dexter. He was born in England in 1834.
106 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY
Reuben L. Warbritton came to the state in August, 1856, and located at Cedar Island, Cass County. Here he resided until the spring of 1857, then moved to Saunders County and settled on section 27, Clear Creek Precinct, about the 1st of March, 1857; he was the first white settler to move his family to Saunders County, bringing them from Cedar Island about the 1st of April, 1857. He was born in Indiana on October 6, 1828. He was the second county clerk in Saunders County. He was married at Frankfort, Ind., December 5, 1833, to Hannah J; Aughe, who was born in Ohio in 1832. Three children were born to them: Sarah J., William J., and James L.
Theodore B. Wilson, attorney, came to Nebraska in 1869 and opened a law office at Ashland the same year. He received his education at Oskaloosa College, Iowa, and graduated from the Des Moines Law School in 1867. He was born in Ohio, October 17, 1842. He was admitted to the practice in Nebraska at the first term of court in Saunders County before Judge Lake. He was county attorney for a number of years and was a member of the first board of trustees of the Town of Ashland. He was married at Terre Haute, Ind., in 1874, to Amanda M. Ellis, a native of Ohio. Mr. Wilson practiced law in Saunders County for more than forty-five years, and for a number of years was the only lawyer in Ashland.
|Back||Table of Contents||Next|