Saunders County NEGenWeb Project
Past and Present of Saunders County Nebraska, 1915, Volume II
56 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
He is a member of the Swedish Mission church. As he has passed his entire life in this county he is widely known, and his genuine worth is attested by the fact that those who have been intimately associated with him are his warmest friends.
CHARLES F. CAMERON.
Charles F. Cameron was a very successful farmer and large landowner of Richland township, owning at the time of his demise seven hundred and thirty acres. He was born in White county, Tennessee, February 26, 1851, a son of James and Eliza Cameron. His education was acquired in the common schools of that state and after putting aside his textbooks he engaged in farming there until he was about twenty-six years old, when he removed to Indiana. After living in the Hoosier state for a year or two he went to Glenwood, Iowa, which remained his home for two years, but at the end of that time, in 1881, he came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and bought one hundred and sixty acres northeast of Ceresco. For about fifteen years he operated that place but in 1897 he retired from active life and took up his residence in Ceresco, where he lived until his demise, which occurred on the 24th of October, 1906. He was energetic and progressive in his methods and derived a gratifying income from his land. As his resources increased he invested in additional land and became the owner of seven hundred and forty acres in Saunders and Lancaster counties. His success was the more noteworthy in that he was a self-made man and throughout his life depended entirely upon his own efforts.
Mr. Cameron was married on the 7th of January, 1883, to Miss Frances Glass, a daughter of David P. and Mary Glass, both deceased. Her father was a native of Mississippi and her mother of Missouri. A brother of Mrs. Cameron, Henry P. Glass, is now living in Texas.
Mr. Cameron was a supporter of the republican party and his religious affiliation was with the Christian church. His wife is likewise a member of that church and is active in the Ladies Aid Society. He manifested throughout his life the spirit of helpfulness and consideration for the rights of others which we think of as distinctively Christian, and there are many who are indebted to him for timely assistance. His sterling qualities gained him the esteem and warm regard of those who were intimately associated with him, and his ability and business sagacity were recognized by all.
J. A. SAMS
J. A. Sams, who for a number of years has made his home in Colon, owns an excellent farm in Marietta township. He was born in Madison, Wisconsin, on the 17th of October, 1864, and is a son of Peter and Theresa (Stayner) Sams, both natives of Austria, whence they emigrated to the United States
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 57
more than a half century ago. They settled in Wisconsin and lived there for a number of years but in 1872 came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and located in Marietta precinct, where the father purchased land. He devoted his time to its development and cultivation until his demise, which occurred in 1905. He had survived his wife for five years, as she passed away in 1900, and both were buried in the Marietta cemetery. They were the parents of a son and daughter, the sister of our subject being Mrs. S. H. Jones, of Greeley, Colorado.
J. A. Sams attended the schools of Madison, Wisconsin, in the acquirement of an education and during his boyhood and youth also gained valuable training through assisting his father with the work of the farm. Following the latter's death he assumed charge of the home place and followed agricultural pursuits until about 1908, when he removed to Colon and engaged in merchandising for three years. At the end of that time he returned to the farm and operated the place until 1912, when he again located in Colon, where he has since lived. In 1908 Mr. Sams made a trip to Europe and each year after for years visited some of the European countries, the last journey being to Cuba. He has erected a good residence on the five-acre tract which he owns in. the town, and he also holds title to two hundred and eighty acres of excellent land and is a stockholder in the State Bank of Colon.
On December 28, 1911, Mr. Sams was united in marriage to Miss Eva Bahm, and they have two children, Edna May and Eva. Mr. Sams is a democrat and while living upon his farm served acceptably as road overseer. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Presbyterian church, and their support can be counted upon in furthering the various phases of church work. He is also identified with the Knights of Pythias at Wahoo. He has spent the greater part of his life in this county, and the high esteem in which he is held by those who have known him since boyhood is an indication of the sterling worth of his character.
PETER M. OLSON.
Peter M. Olson won a gratifying, measure of success as a farmer in Saunders county and his demise was deeply regretted. A native of Sweden, he was born in 1828, a son of Ola Pearsson. He received his education at home under the instruction of his parents and when nine years of age he began working for a tailor. He followed the tailor's trade until he was twenty years old, when he turned his attention to farming, devoting his time to that occupation in Sweden until 1868, when at the age of forty years he came to the United States. He remained for two years in Illinois, but in April, 1870, came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead in Stocking precinct, which he operated successfully until 1897. Having accumulated a competence, he retired in that year and removed to Wahoo, where he lived for a number of years. Early in 1915 he went to live with his son on the homestead and on the llth of May, that year, was called to his final reward.
Mr. Olson was first married in Sweden in 1861, but his wife, Mrs. Johanna
58 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
Olson, passed away in 1867. They were the parents of four children, three of whom died when small. The other child, Alfred P. Olson, was left in Sweden when three years of age but subsequently joined his father in this country. Mr. Olson was a widower when he came to the United States but in 1873 was married in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, to Miss Hannah Anderson, by whom he had two children: Oscar August, who was born March 2, 1874, and died in 1895; and Emily Sophia, whose birth occurred February 8, 1876, and who died when three years old.
Mr. Olson gave his political allegiance to the republican party, and his religious affiliation was that of the Swedish Lutheran church. He reached an advanced age and received the honor and respect due to those who have through the years of a long life been guided by high standards.
Alfred P. Olson was born in Sweden on the 80th of May, 1865, but since 1872 has resided in the United States as in that year he came to this country with his uncle, Nels Olson, and joined his father here. He started to school when ten years old and continued his education at intervals until he was twenty years of age. Since beginning his independent career he has concentrated his energies upon agricultural pursuits and now owns two hundred acres of excellent land, upon which he has made many improvements. He does general farming and his well directed labors yield him a good income. His residence has all of the modern conveniences, including running water and acetylene light, and the attractiveness of the farm is enhanced by a nice grove of catalpa trees.
Mr. Olson was married on the 4th of January 1887, to Miss Julia Larson, who died in 1893. They became the parents of four children: Julia A., deceased; Augusta Eleanor, the wife of Harry G. Nelson, of Weston; Arthur J., engaged in the automobile business in Wahoo; and Alvin E., who married Jennie Polsley. On the 19th of July, 1894, Mr. Olson was again married. Miss Cora Jennie Larson becoming his wife. They have five children: Ebba L. and Ernest Leonard Dewey, who are attending college at Wahoo; and Julia, Oscar M. C. and Myrtle H. M., who are attending the Swedeburg school.
Mr. Olson votes independently, believing that the fitness of the candidate for the office in question is of greater importance than his political affiliation. His religious faith is that of the Swedish Lutheran church. He is recognized as one of the able farmers of the county and also as a public-spirited citizen and a man of unquestioned integrity.
EDWARD J. BREDENBERG.
Well defined plans and untiring activity have brought to Edward J. Bredenberg a substantial measure of success and he is now well known in Wahoo as a representative of real estate and fire insurance interests, having been engaged continuously in the business since 1908. He was born in Sweden, March 16, 1869, a son of John O. and Mary (Helsing) Bredenberg, who were also natives of that country. The father was born in 1832 and in 1869 he brought
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 59
his family to the new world, settling the following year in Saunders county, Nebraska, where he passed away in 1900 after a residence here of thirty years. His wife survived him for a number of years, passing away in 1909.
Edward J. Bredenberg was less than a year old when brought to the United States and the greater part of his life has been spent in the county which is now his home. He attended the district schools and after putting aside his textbooks devoted his attention to work upon the home farm until 1890, when he went to Denver, Colorado, where he was employed in a store for two years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Saunders county, settling at Malmo, where he embarked in business as a general merchant, conducting his store there until 1908, when he sold and came to Wahoo, where he has since engaged in the real estate and fire insurance business. He has secured a good clientage in both departments and is thoroughly versed in all phases of fire insurance solicitation, while in the real-estate field he has gained comprehensive knowledge of values and knows all property that is upon the market. He has negotiated various important realty transfers and has developed a gratifying business during the seven years of his connection with the interests of Wahoo.
On the 12th of April, 1892, in the city where he now resides, Mr. Bredenberg was married to Miss Nora Helsing, who was born on the North sea while her parents, John and Emma (Bostrom) Helsing, were coming to the United States. They became residents of Saunders county in 1870. Mr. and Mrs. Bredenberg have the following children: Blanche E., the wife of Joseph Benson, of Wahoo; Everett E.; Richard E.; and Raymond F., at home.
In his political belief Mr. Bredenberg is a democrat and while living at Malmo filled the office of councilman and for five or six years has been a member of the city council in Wahoo, exercising his official prerogatives in support of many plans and measures for the general good. He is interested, too, in the moral progress of the community as is evidenced by his membership in the Lutheran church.
JOHN B. MULDERMAN.
John B. Mulderman, who is now living retired, was one of the early settlers of Saunders county and for many years engaged in farming in Mariposa township. He was born in Holland on the 25th of September, 1842, a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Aaronfedt) Mulderman, who passed their entire lives in that country. The father, who was a farmer by occupation, served in the militia during the war between Holland and Belgium. There were seven children in the family, namely: Benedina, deceased; John B.; Gerrit, who lives on the homestead in Holland; Peter, a resident of Denver, Colorado; and Christian, Hannah and Henry, all deceased.
John B. Mulderman was educated in his native land and served in the army during 1860 and was then placed in the reserves. In 1866 he came to the United States, leaving Liverpool on the 28th of March on a ship bound for New York, which port was reached on the llth of May. During the
60 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
voyage cholera broke out on board and four hundred died of the dread disease. Mr. Mulderman had a ticket to Rock Island, Illinois, and from that point went to Davenport, Iowa. He worked for three years in Scott county, that state, after which he went to West Liberty, Muscatine county, where he remained for two years. At the end of that time he came still farther west, settling in Saunders county, Nebraska. He located on section 15, Mariposa township, buying railroad land, which at that time was unimproved. He broke one hundred and forty-five acres in 1871 and the following year had a good crop, which was quite an unusual record. He carried on general farming and stock raising for many years and gained financial independence, as he followed approved methods in the cultivation of the soil. His farm of one hundred and sixty acres is now one of the well improved places of the county. He has retired from active life and is enjoying a period of leisure which is well deserved.
On the 28th of January, 1878, Mr. Mulderman married Miss Anna Gertrude Tillman, who was born in Davenport, Iowa, March 11, 1857, and passed away January 24, 1913, being buried in the Sand Creek Catholic Cemetery. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Mulderman, Dorothy, was born February 13, 1879, and died November 9, 1895, being likewise buried in the Sand Creek cemetery. It was her intention to become a nun.
Mr. Mulderman is a devout member of the Catholic church, as were his wife and daughter, and does all in his power to further the spread of its influence. In politics he is a democrat but does not consider himself bound by party ties if the public welfare can best be served by voting independently. For twelve years he has served on the school board and he takes the keenest interest in the advancement of the public schools. During the many years that he has resided in Saunders county he has witnessed a great change as the frontier region has been transformed into a prosperous farming district and he takes just pride in the fact that he has aided in bringing about this development.
George Bell, a retired farmer residing in Colon, was born in Spencerport, Monroe county, New York, January 29, 1863, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Bell the latter of whom died when our subject was but two years of age. The father, who was a native of Maryland, passed practically his entire life, however, in the state of New York, where he engaged in business as a railroad contractor. To him and his wife were born two children, the daughter being Jennie, the wife of M. A. Goodrich, of Washington, Pennsylvania.
George Bell was educated in public schools of his native state and made his home with an aunt until he was fifteen years of age. He then came to the middle west, locating in Marietta precinct, Saunders county, Nebraska, where he found work by the month as a farm hand. After a few years so spent he rented land and in the meantime saved his money to the end of becoming a landowner. In 1891 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres,
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 61
upon which he has since made many improvements, his place being now one of the best developed farms in the county. He has carried on general farming and the competence which he has gained enables him to live retired from active work. Although he still owns his farm, for eleven years he has resided Colon where he erected a fine residence.
On the 5th of November, 1907, Mr. Bell was married to Miss Isabelle Ellison, who was born in Michigan but has spent the greater part of her life in this county.
Mr. Bell is a democrat, believing in the wisdom of the policies of that party and fraternally he is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America. From early youth he has been dependent upon his own resources, and the prosperity which he has gained is due to his energy and ability.
Gus Johnson, who is now connected with the Ceresco State Bank and is also engaged in the real estate and insurance business, was born in Sweden, November 30, 1884, a son of Charles A. Johnson, whose birth occurred in that country on the 2d of April, 1854. The father attended the common schools until he was sixteen years of age and then became connected with merchandising, in which he engaged until 1885, when he removed to the United States. He took up his residence in Jefferson county, Nebraska, where he was employed as foreman in a stone quarry for five years. At the end of that time he removed to the vicinity of Shickley, this state, where he engaged in farming. He now owns a half section of land in Fillmore county. He is a republican where national issues are involved but casts an independent ballot at local elections. He was married in 1882 to Miss Matilda Erickson, likewise a native of Sweden. She did not come to the United States until two years after the arrival of her husband here. They have four children: Gus; Eric, who is living in Shickley; and Anna and Oscar, both at home.
Gus Johnson attended the common schools of Fillmore county and later took a course in the International Law and Business Institute, a correspondence school. His first experience in the business world was in connection with the Nye-Schneider-Fowler Company, a well known firm dealing in grain, lumber and live stock, and later he was connected with the Updyke Grain Company. In 1911 he turned his attention to banking, entering the employ of the Ceresco State Bank, with which he is still connected and of which he was vice president for two years. He is also engaged in the real estate and insurance business and has gained gratifying success therein.
On the 22d of February, 1909, Mr. Johnson married Miss Lottie E. Gibbs, a daughter of C. J. Gibbs, who is a native of England but is now residing at Ceresco. Two children have been born to this union, Eunice and Sylvia.
Mr. Johnson is a republican and is serving as a member of the county central committee of that party. However, at local elections he considers himself free to vote independently if by so doing he can best serve the public interests. He holds membership in the Swedish Lutheran church, to the support
62 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
of which he contributes, and his life has always been characterized by integrity and uprightness. He belongs to the Masonic blue lodge and has taken fifteen degrees in the Scottish Rite. He is also identified with the Ancient Order of United Workmen at Ceresco, in which he served as financier for three years. He is one of the enterprising and successful young business men of Ceresco and holds the respect and warm regard of those who have come in contact with him.
CARL E. DANIELSON.
Carl E. Danielson, the proprietor of an up-to-date general store in Swedeburg, was born in Virserun, Sweden, March 7, 1867, a son of Daniel Gustaf and Ulrica Samuelson. His education was received in the common schools and he continued upon the home farm until he reached the age of eighteen years. Subsequently he was employed in a cabinet shop until he was twenty-one years old.
Mr. Danielson then came to the United States by way of Gottenburg, Sweden, and Hull and Liverpool, England. He left Gottenburg on the 13th of April, 1888, and arrived in New York on the 1st of May. He made his way to Galesburg, Illinois, where he spent some time in visiting, and then removed to Omaha, Nebraska, whence he came to Saunders county. For two years he was employed by Ed Lindgren. He continued his education by attending Luther College at Wahoo during three winters, while in the summers he worked for contractors, being in the employ of Scott & Company of Wahoo for one year and of Joseph & Groff for three years. At the end of that time he made a trip to the Pacific coast, after which he went to Kansas City, where he was employed for about three months. He was next in Sioux City, Iowa, and was connected with the Miller Clothing Company of that place for three years, after which he went to Omaha and entered the employ of the Nebraska Clothing-Company, with which he remained for a similar length of time.
Mr. Danielson then started a grocery store in Omaha, which he conducted for seven and a half years, but in the spring of 1909 he came to Swedeburg, where he has since been engaged in general merchandising. He carries a well selected line of goods and the neatness and order with which the stock is arranged adds greatly to the attractiveness of the store. He is thoroughly up-to-date in his methods and has gained a well deserved and gratifying patronage. He erected the building in which the store is located and is recognized as a substantial business man. His success is more noteworthy in that he began his career without capital and has at all times been dependent solely upon his own efforts.
On the 17th of October, 1900, Mr. Danielson was united in marriage to Miss Selma Nelson, also a native of Sweden and a daughter of Nels Johnson. When fourteen years of age she came to the United States and made her home with a sister, Mrs. Nels Eliason, for a time. Mr. and Mrs. Danielson have two sons and a daughter: Rudolph, who is now attending school in Wahoo; Violet H. N., and Ragnar, both of whom are attending school in Swedeburg.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 63
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 65
Mr. Danielson gives his political allegiance to the republican party but has never sought office. His religious faith is that of the Swedish Lutheran church and his cooperation can be depended upon in movements seeking the welfare of his community along moral as well as business and commercial lines.
J. A. ANDERSON
J. A. Anderson, of Swedeburg, who for twenty-five years has represented the Nye-Schneider-Fowler Company, an important concern, dealing in grain, lumber and live stock, was born on the 18th of July, 1854, near Kristianstad, Sweden, a son of Andrew and Christine Olson. He was graduated from the high school in Kristianstad and when twenty-one years of age entered the army, in which he served for seven years. He then became overseer and bookkeeper on a large farm and was so employed until 1888, when he decided to emigrate to the United States. He went to Hull, England, and thence to Liverpool, where he took ship for New York, reaching that city in June. In 1890 he returned to Sweden, where he remained for two months and where his wife passed away. On again coming to the United States he became a resident of Saunders county, Nebraska, and for twenty-five years has represented the Nye-Schneider-Fowler Company. He is recognized as one of the successful business men of Swedeburg, his ability and sound judgment commanding the respect of those with whom he has come in contact in his dealings.
Mr. Anderson was married a second time, in 1892, Miss Mary Olson becoming his wife, and they are the parents of eight children: Sadie, now Mrs. Albert Noreen, of Malmo, Nebraska; Anna, the wife of Albert Lawson, of Malmo, by whom she has two children, Norman and Bernice; Nannie, who married Harry Jakiman of Cole Camp, Missouri, and has one child. Harry; Hilma, who is the wife of A. L. Mountain, of White River, South Dakota, and has one son, Paul Lesley; Matilda, who is living in Omaha; Ruth and Esther, both working in that city; and Eleanor, at home.
Mr. Anderson is a republican in politics and takes the interest of a good citizen in local government affairs. He is an influential member of the Swedish Mission church and is now serving ably as superintendent of its Sunday school. His influence can be counted upon to further movements seeking the moral advancement of his community and he is recognized as a valuable citizen.
Nils Chillquist, a successful and representative agriculturist of Saunders county, has been actively identified with agricultural interests here for the past third of a century, owning and operating an excellent farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Stocking township. His birth occurred in Sweden on the 1st of July, 1853, his parents being Nils and Hannah Chillquist, who spent their entire lives in that country. In the acquirement of an education he
66 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
attended the common schools of his native land until fifteen years of age and then began assisting his father in the work of the home farm, being thus engaged until a young man of eighteen. He gave his attention to farming for a period of five years and subsequently worked at different occupations until twenty-eight years of age, when in 1881 he crossed the Atlantic to the United States, attracted by the many favorable reports which had reached him concerning the opportunities of the new world. After landing on American shores he made his way direct to Saunders county, Nebraska, and purchased the farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Stocking township which is now in his possession and the cultivation and improvement of which has continuously claimed his time and energies. His work is conducted along progressive lines and the sale of large crops each year has brought to him a substantial income. In 1881, while still living in Sweden, Mr. Chillquist was united in marriage to Miss Betsy Chillquist, by whom he has had eleven children, namely: Helma, who is the wife of Ernest Watson; Thomas; Ida; Victor; Frieda; Lilly; Hulda; Edith; Alma, deceased; Bernice; and Elmer A. The family attend the Swedish Lutheran and Mission churches. Politically Mr. Chillquist is a stanch republican, exercising his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of that party. Coming to the new world in young manhood, he has since worked his way steadily upward to success and has long been numbered among the prosperous, representative and respected citizens of his community.
Arthur Johnson, who is successfully engaged in the hardware and implement business in Ceresco, was born in Lancaster county, Nebraska, on the 5th of November, 1882. His father, Carl Johnson, was born in Sweden on the 10th of July, 1847, and grew to manhood in his native land. He worked as a farm hand there for some time but in 1868 came to the United States and, making his way to the middle west, first settled near Cambridge, Illinois. After remaining there for seven years he removed to Lancaster county, Nebraska, and purchased eighty acres of railroad land. In 1892 he came to Saunders county and settled on a farm in Richland precinct, three miles east of Ceresco. He believes in the position of the republican party on great national issues but at local elections he votes for the best man irrespective of his party affiliation. His religious faith is that of the Swedish Mission church. He was married in 1876 to Miss Anna Carlson and they have become the parents of eight children, five of whom have passed away, those living being: Carl, at home; Emil, residing two miles east of Ceresco, who married Miss Ellen Erickson and has three daughters, Angeline, Lorette and Vivian, and Arthur.
The last named attended the public schools until he was about seventeen years of age and then went to work upon a farm, so continuing for thirteen years, or until 1912. In the meantime he carefully saved his money and,
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 67
deciding that a commercial career would be more congenial than a life devoted to farming, he purchased a hardware store in Ceresco, which he is still conducting. He has added a line of farm implements and, as he carries a varied stock of excellent quality and as his prices are reasonable, he has already gained a gratifying patronage.
Mr. Johnson was married on the 23d of July, 1913, to Miss Emily Wadberg, a daughter of Olaf and Galla (Truid) Wadberg, natives, of Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have a son, Emery.
Mr. Johnson is a republican and holds membership in the Swedish Lutheran church. He has gained a gratifying measure of success for one of his years, and his business ability and enterprise insure his continued prosperity.
BENJAMIN JACKSON ROBBINS.
When death called Benjamin Jackson Robbins, Saunders county lost one of its prominent and honored pioneer residents. He was at that time living in Wahoo but had previously been identified with farming interests and had won substantial success, becoming the owner of seven hundred and twenty acres of land. He was a son of Caleb Bobbins and was born in Marion county, Indiana, May 30, 1845. His mother died when he was very young and he was largely reared in the home of his half brother, Amos Burton. He remained upon the farm until nine years of age, when the family removed to Davis county, Iowa, which was then a new and undeveloped country. His youth was passed upon the farm there to the age of twenty years and in 1865 he came to Saunders county with Amos Burton. Being too young to enter a claim, he went to Saline Fort, now Ashland, where he was employed to help build one of the first stone buildings erected in the county, and when the cornerstone was laid he placed his hat underneath it. He worked by the day and the diligence and industry which he displayed at that early period characterized his entire life. In 1872 he secured a homestead in Green precinct. After partially improving this he sold the property and bought eighty acres elsewhere in the same township. Still later he bought other land and added to his holdings from time to time until his possessions aggregated seven hundred and twenty acres at the time of his death. His life was one of unfaltering industry and perseverance. In his vocabulary there was no such word as fail and when obstacles and difficulties barred his path he overcame them by industry and determination.
On the 17th of April, 1874, Mr. Bobbins was married to Miss Amelia Beyer, theirs being the first marriage license issued after the county seat was removed to Wahoo. Mrs. Robbins was born in Prussia, Germany, October 12, 1853, a daughter of William and Wilhelmina (Saizman) Beyer. Her mother died in Germany, after which the father married again and came to the United States, where he arrived in 1870. He went first to the vicinity of Richmond, Virginia, where he rented a farm, but was not satisfied with that locality and in 1871 came to Saunders county, Nebraska, where he purchased a relinquishment. He continued his residence in this county throughout his remaining
68 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
days and became the owner of a good farm of one hundred and sixty acres, on which he was living at the time of his demise, which occurred when he had reached the age of eighty-one. Mrs. Robbins was seventeen years of age at the time the family home was established in Virginia, where she continued until June 9, 1873, and then came to Saunders county, living with her parents until her marriage. She then went with her husband to his farm, on which they resided until 1904, when the farm was rented and they removed to Wahoo. They became the parents of six children: Dora, the wife of J. P. Knipple, of Wahoo; Lillie, the wife of Grant Wagner, a farmer of this county; Albert A., also farming in Saunders county, who married Mabel Carr, of this county; Henry N., who follows farming near Ithaca and married Martha Balka, of Saunders county; Charles L., who is engaged in the hardware and implement business at Ithaca and married Eva Carr; and Edith, at home.
The family circle was broken by the hand of death when, on July 27, 1915, Mr. Robbins passed away. He had been a republican in his political views but had never sought office. He was one of the first residents of this county, coming here when there were so few settlers in the county that he knew them all personally, and he had previously had pioneer experience in Iowa, for he was taken to that state during the epoch of its early development. While he had few advantages in his youth, he nevertheless possessed much native ability and steadily worked his way upward, becoming one of the successful and prosperous farmers of the county. Mrs. Robbins and her daughter still make their home in Wahoo, where they have a wide circle of acquaintances and are highly esteemed.
Clate Cook is a representative and enterprising young agriculturist of Saunders county, living on section 16, Stocking township. His birth occurred in this county on the 25th of March, 1878, his parents being J. D. and Rhoda Cook, the former one of the early settlers of Saunders county who is now living in Wahoo. Clate Cook acquired his early education in the common schools of this county, also pursued a high school course at Wahoo and subsequently spent a year as a student in the Fremont Normal College. When twenty-three years of age he left that institution and during the following two years was engaged in farming in association with his brother, Charles A. Cook. He then located on his father's farm and has since been busily engaged in the cultivation of a two hundred acre tract of land south of Wahoo and a quarter section west of the town. The fields are in a high state of productivity and annually produce abundant harvests, which well repay him for the labor expended in their cultivation.
On the 5th of October, 1904, Mr. Cook was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Snyder, her parents being F. J. and Elizabeth Snydcr, early settlers of Wahoo. They have two children. Franklin Joel and Katheryn Elizabeth, who are attending school in Wahoo.
Mr. Cook is a republican in his political views but casts an independent
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 69
ballot at local elections, considering the capability of a candidate rather than his party affiliation. His religious faith is that of the Congregational church, the teachings of which he exemplifies in his daily conduct. His entire life has been passed in this county and the circle of his friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintance.
Eli Bodley is a retired farmer of Wahoo and his efforts constituted a valuable contribution to the agricultural development of the county while he was still busily employed in the work of the fields. He now makes his home in the city, where he occupies a pleasant residence standing in the midst of three acres of ground. His well kept land is adorned with beautiful flowers and shrubs and the home is one of the attractive places of the city.
Mr. Bodley is a native of Simpson, Bucks county, England, born February 25 1850, and his youthful days were there spent upon a farm, while his education was acquired in an academy of London. Starting out in life for himself, he rented land that had been in possession of the family for over two hundred years. His father had been overseer of the poor, collector of imperial and local taxes and had held other offices. He was a surveyor by profession and also taught school and was a man of considerable local prominence. He built the first solid roads in his locality and contributed to improvement along various lines. Moreover, his integrity was such that he was known throughout the community as "Honest John Bodley".
While still residing in England Eli Bodley was also called to public office, serving on the school board and as tax collector. Like his father, he was engaged in road building, constructing hard macadamized roads in two or three parishes, but at length he determined to try his fortune in America and on the 15th of February, 1880, landed in New York. He at once started for the middle west and on the last day of the month reached Wahoo. The year previously he had purchased what was known as the Dickinson homestead, a tract of land of eighty acres a mile and a half north of Wahoo, for which he paid eleven dollars per acre. All of the land was broken but there were no buildings upon it and he erected a residence, good barns and sheds. He also planted an orchard, set out shade trees and for a considerable period followed general farming and stock-raising, handling both hogs and cattle. After a time he purchased one hundred and twenty acres of land, thus extending the boundaries of his farm until it comprised two hundred acres in a body. In a word, he made his farm a valuable, attractive and highly improved property, his energies and efforts being notably resultant. In 1911, on account of the condition of his health, he rented his farm and removed to Wahoo, securing his present home, which stands in the midst of three acres of ground on which are many fruit trees.
On June 21, 1877, Mr. Bodley was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Hobbs, who was also a native of Bucks county, England, where she was reared and educated. She accompanied her husband to the new world and here
70 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
reared a large family but death called her February 9, 1856. To Mr. and Mrs. Bodley were born ten children, five of whom died in early life, the others being: Anna, who was born in England and is now the wife of Manse Templeton, a resident farmer of Douglas precinct; Herbert John, who married Miss Martha Davis and is a resident farmer of Cedar precinct; Rupert Hobbs, and George B., at home; and Ralph Ewart, who is in the government service as a forester in Montana. He was for five years in the Nebraska State University, being graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science. He entered the forestry service and after a year's work was sent to the federal college at Missoula and on completing the work there was given charge of the large forestry interests over which he now has supervision. Having lost his first wife, Mr. Bodley was married July 24, 1908, to Mrs. Mary E. Holmes, a daughter of John and Susan Harris, natives of England. They emigrated to New York, where their daughter Mary was born but returned to England two years later, where the parents passed away. After the marriage of Miss Harris and Mr. Holmes, they settled in Colorado where the latter died. Mrs. Holmes then again returned to England, where she married Mr. Bodley.
Mr. and Mrs. Bodley are members of the Methodist church and in politics he is a populist with independent tendencies. He has never desired office, although he held various positions in England. He has preferred here to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, yet he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day not only in politics but along all those lines which affect the general interests of society and indicate the trend of progress of the race. He is a well read man and is always found in those circles where intelligent men are met in the discussion of vital questions.
C. P. SMITH.
C. P. Smith, who is living in honorable retirement from active life in Malmo, was born in Smola, Sweden, September 16, 1836, a son of Nels and Catherine (Young) Smith, both natives of Sweden, where they passed their entire lives. They were the parents of six children: Mrs. Christina Swanson, now a widow residing in Malmo; C. P.; Augusta; John, deceased; Gustave, who is still living in Sweden; and one who died in infancy.
C. P. Smith received his education in Sweden and remained in that country until he was thirty-eight years of age. He then decided to take advantage of the excellent opportunities offered to men of industry and enterprise in this country and accordingly emigrated to the United States. He located in Michigan, where he remained for a year, after which he removed to Tennessee, but two years later he returned to Michigan. He lived there for eight years and then came to Saunders county, Nebraska, settling on land three miles northeast of Malmo. He cultivated and improved his place until 1906, when, feeling that he had accumulated a competence, he retired and removed to Malmo, where he owns a fine residence and two lots. He has sold his farm, which comprised eighty acres.
In 1862 Mr. Smith married Miss Johanna Jerling, who was born in Sweden.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 71
She passed away in February, 1913, and was buried in Malmo. They were the parents of six children: Victor, the senior partner in the firm of Smith & Anderson of Wahoo; Tilda, the wife of Iver Bedenberg, who is living in Colorado; Edla, the wife of Gust Milton, a farmer residing near Malmo; Alma, and Jennie, both deceased.
Mr. Smith is a republican in politics but has cast one democratic vote for president. He holds membership in the Swedish Mission church at Malmo and in the teachings of that organization are found the principles that guide his life. He has reached the advanced age of seventy-nine years and the period of leisure which he is enjoying is richly deserved.
In its citizenship Wahoo has a large percentage, of retired farmers, men who have found the soil of Saunders county rich and productive and in the development of their land have won success, their labors being directed by intelligence and discrimination. Earnest, persistent labor brought to Mr. Frahm - a comfortable competence and now in the evening of his days he is enjoying a well earned rest. A native of Germany, he was born in Schleswig-Holstein, July 21, 1839, a son of Hans Henry and Maggie (Margus) Frahm, also natives of the fatherland, where they remained until the fall of 1848, when they crossed the Atlantic and settled seventeen miles south of Chicago in Cook county, Illinois. There the father purchased eighty acres of land at the government price of a dollar and a quarter per acre and he at once began to develop and improve the property, which he afterward sold, removing then to Will county, Illinois. He took up his home on Eagle lake, where he purchased a farm, and in 1870 he arrived in Saunders county, where he secured a homestead in Douglas precinct, comprising eighty acres, which he improved and developed, while his son homesteaded another eighty acre tract. H. H. Frahm continued to cultivate his farm until his death, which occurred when he was seventy-three years of age. He died in the faith of the Lutheran church, of which he had long been a devoted and consistent member, as was his wife, who passed away on the old homestead when about seventy-four years of age.
Jacob Frahm was a little lad of nine years when brought by his parents to America and his youthful days were spent in Cook and Will counties of Illinois. About the time he attained his majority he purchased eighty acres of land in the latter county and there carried on farming until 1871, when he sold that property and came to Nebraska, homesteading in Douglas precinct, Saunders county. He afterward purchased eighty acres, then one hundred and forty-six acres of land, later another tract of one hundred and twenty acres and again forty acres. In fact, he kept adding to his place until his holdings totalled an entire section, constituting one of the valuable farm properties of the county. This he brought to a high state of cultivation, adding to many modern improvements, and his farm became one of the valuable properties of the district.
72 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
In 1870 Mr. Frahm was married to Miss Caroline Kauka, who was born in Hessen, Germany, in 1847 and when six months old was brought to the United States by her parents, Frederick and Mary Kauka, who were natives of Germany. They went to Chicago in October, 1847, and settled in Will county, Illinois, where the father followed farming, his attention being given to general agricultural pursuits throughout the entire period of his active business career. He died at the age of seventy-five years and his wife when eighty-two years of age. Both were consistent members of the Evangelical church and he was a prominent figure in the public life of the community, serving as justice of the peace and twice representing his district in the legislature. Mrs. Frahm was reared, educated and married in Will county, Illinois, and by her marriage has become the mother of three children: Tilda, who died at the age of ten years; Ella, the wife of Thomas Farris, of Omaha; and Irvin, who is now operating one of his father's farms and married Miss Anna Reeder, of Douglas township, this county.
In 1905 Mr. Frahm rented his farms and came to Wahoo, where he is now living retired, his active labor being crowned with "an age of ease." For many years he had carefully tilled the soil, gathering good crops annually, and had spent much time and effort in improving his place. That he led a most active life and displayed sound judgment in his business management and in his investments is shown, by the substantial success which came to him. He and his wife have long been members of the Lutheran church and, while he has been busy in the care of his farm, he has never neglected the higher, holier duties of life and in all of his relations with his fellowmen has followed the strictest principles of morality and integrity.
Eugene Templeton, who for a number of years was actively identified with agricultural pursuits in Saunders county, passed away on the 3d of July, 1915, in Wahoo, where he was living retired. His birth occurred in Worcester, Vermont, on the 27th of March, 1862, his parents being Fred and Caroline (Cummings) Templeton, likewise natives of the Green Mountain state. In 1869 they emigrated to Saunders county, Nebraska, but soon returned to Vermont, where the father passed away. The mother is still living there. In the acquirement of an education Eugene Templeton attended the common schools of Vermont. He lived on a farm and worked at the lumber business for a time after putting aside his textbooks but when twenty years of age began railroading. When about twenty-seven years of age he came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and was married. He took up his abode on the Joseph Ford farm southeast of Wahoo which he operated successfully for a period of eleven years, annually gathering rich harvests which found a ready sale on the market. In 1900 he put aside the active work of the fields and removed to Wahoo, where he lived in honorable retirement for ten years and then took up his abode in Lincoln. At the end of a year, however, he returned to Wahoo, where the remainder of his life was spent.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 73
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 75
On the 9th of June, 1889, Mr. Templeton was united in marriage to Miss Annetta Dayton, a daughter of Milton and Mary (Ford) Dayton, pioneer settlers of Saunders county, who came originally from New York and Vermont respectively. To Mr. and Mrs. Templeton were born five children, as follows: Maude, who is the wife of Harry L. Mosgrove, a banker living in Garrison, by whom she has two children, Dorothy and Richard; Ford, who follows farming near Memphis; Jessie, the wife of Noah Van Landingham, who is engaged in farming near Swedeburg and by whom she has one child, Dale; Fred, an agriculturist by occupation; and Nellie, who attends school in Wahoo.
In politics Mr. Templeton was a stanch democrat, supporting the men and measures of that party by his ballot. Fraternally he was identified with the Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, serving as noble grand in the latter organization, while with his wife he was affiliated with the Eastern Star and the Rebekahs. Mrs. Templeton is noble grand in the Ladies Aid Society of the Rebekahs. Mr. Templeton passed away in the faith of the Presbyterian church on the 3d of July, 1915, when fifty-three years of age. His demise was the occasion of deep and widespread regret, for he had won an extensive circle of friends during the quarter century, of his residence in this part of the state. His widow, who still makes her home in Wahoo, is also widely and favorably known throughout the community.
JOHN F. CARLSON.
John F. Carlson was a well known and efficient farmer residing in Richland precinct, whose demise was deeply regretted. A native of Sweden, he was born in December, 1837, and was a son of Carl Carlson. He passed the days of his boyhood and youth in his native land, attending the common schools in the acquirement of an education until he was about fourteen years of age. He then began providing for his own support and for many years was connected with agricultural pursuits in Sweden but in 1882 decided to try his fortune in the new world and accordingly emigrated to America. On his arrival in Saunders county, Nebraska, he purchased eighty acres of railroad land in Richland precinct, which he at once began to improve and develop. He brought his farm to a high state of cultivation and as he was energetic and understood farming he seldom failed to gather good crops, from the sale of which he received a good income.
In December, 1884, occurred the marriage of Mr. Carlson and Miss Ida Nelson, and they became the parents of six children: Albert, a resident of Wahoo, who married Miss Alma Olson and has three children, Clarence, Ethel and Dorothy; Selma, the wife of Chester Brown, of Miller, and the mother of two children, Isabell and Ralph; Oscar; Victor; Hilma, the wife of Riley Wallen, who lives near Valparaiso, this state; and Anna.
Mr. Carlson took a commendable interest in public affairs and in politics voted independently, believing the qualifications of a candidate for the office in question to be of greater importance than his political affiliation. The principles of conduct which guided his life may be inferred from the fact that he
76 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
was a member of the Swedish Mission church, to the support of which he contributed. He never regretted his removal to this country, as through the utilization of the opportunities which he found here he gained a competence, although he came with nothing. He was not only successful in farming but was also respected because of his public spirit, his high moral standards and his agreeable personal qualities. He gained many sincere friends and although he passed away on the 4th of July, 1894, his memory is still cherished by those who were intimately associated with him.
A. Borg, who is conducting a harness shop in Malmo, was born in Sweden, January 6, 1845, a son of Nels and Carrie (Hendrickson) Borg, who passed their entire lives in that country. The father was in the Swedish army for thirty-four years. His family comprised five sons and five, daughters, all of whom were born in Sweden.
A. Borg received his education in his native land and there learned the harness-maker's trade, which, he followed in that country together with shoe-making until 1885, when he emigrated to the United States. He first located at Mead, Nebraska, where for three months he was employed as a section hand, but at the end of that time he started a harness shop in Mead, which he conducted successfully until 1895. He then removed to Colon and after remaining there for a year came to Malmo, where he established a shop. He carries an excellent stock of harness and does all kinds of repair work, including cobbling.
In 1874 Mr. Borg was united in marriage to Miss Amalia Barry and they became the parents of a son, Alfred, who is station agent at Herman, Nebraska. Mrs. Borg passed away in 1892.
Mr. Borg is a republican but has not taken a very active part in politics. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church and its teachings form the guiding principle of his life. He has gained a fair measure of success and holds the confidence and respect of those who come in contact with him.
Johan Arp, who is living retired in Malmo, was for a number of years actively engaged, in general farming in this county. He was born in Schleswig-Holstein, now a part of Germany, March 26, 1842, a son of Hans and Margaretta (Hoike) Arp, both natives of that district, where they passed their entire lives. The father was a farmer by occupation. They were the parents of eleven children: Peter who died in this county; Hans, deceased; Johan; Claus E., a resident of Hamburg, Germany; David, who is living in Orange, California; Frank, the wife of Henry Hoik, of Yutan, Nebraska; Anna, who is the widow of Hans Ruber and lives in Norfolk, Nebraska; Yoachim, de-
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 77
ceased; Wiebke, the wife of Frederick Hilsta, of this county; Margaretta, a resident of Germany; and one who died in infancy.
Johan Arp was educated in Germany but when only nine years of age worked in the employ of others. In 1865 he emigrated to the United States and located in Kankakee, Illinois, farming in that vicinity for three years. At the end of that time he came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and homesteaded eighty acres four miles from Malmo. At that time the conditions of life here were those of a frontier region and for a time he lived in a dugout. As his financial resources increased he purchased more land, buying at one time forty acres and later eighty acres. He continued to operate his farm until 1904, when he retired and removed to Malmo. He still owns eighty acres and also sixteen lots in Malmo. His residence is commodious and well designed and he is enjoying all the comforts of life.
When about twenty-five years of age Mr. Arp was married in Illinois to Miss Anna Cook, a native of Germany, who emigrated to the United States in her girlhood. They have a daughter, Anna, who is the wife of Otto Schultz, a farmer, by whom she has four children: Hulda, John, Gertrude and Theodore.
Mr. Arp is a republican but has never taken an active part in politics. He and his wife both belong to the Lutheran church, of which he is a steward, and their influence can be counted upon to further movements seeking the moral betterment of their community. Both have many friends and are highly respected by all who have come into contact with them.
FRANK W. VIRGL.
Among those who have found farming a profitable and congenial occupation is Frank W. Virgl, of Center township. He was born in that township on the 23d of December, 1884, of the marriage of Vaclav and Josephine (Koutny) Virgl, both of whom were born in Moravia, Bohemia, and were there married. They resided in that country until 1877, when they decided to try their fortunes in the United States and emigrated to this country, making their way westward to Sounders county, Nebraska. The father purchased land in Center township, which he cultivated for some time, but later removed to a farm in that township now operated by our subject. He was a heavy landowner, holding title at the time of his death, in 1906, to eight hundred and forty acres of land, although when he arrived in the United States he had but very little money. He is buried at Wahoo and is survived by his wife, who makes her home in Cedar precinct, northwest of Colon. She is a communicant of the Catholic church, as was her husband. They became the parents of the following children: Antonie, the wife of Frank Razec, residing near Wahoo; John, who lives in Cedar township; Anton of Center township; Frank W.; and Henry, who makes his home in Cedar township.
Frank W. Virgl attended the public schools during his boyhood and youth and also gave considerable time to assisting his father with the work of the farm. Following his father's demise he became the owner of his present
78 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
farm, comprising one hundred and sixty acres on section 14, Center township, and since 1907 he has devoted his time to the operation of that place. He carries on general farming, including the raising of high grade stock. He has made all of the improvements upon the place and in 1908 erected a residence, barn and crib. He is at once practical and progressive and derives a good annual income from his land.
On February 6, 1912, occurred the marriage of Mr. Virgl and Miss Frances Kralik, who was born in this county, of Bohemian parentage. Since age conferred upon him the aright of franchise Mr. Virgl has supported the democratic party but he has never sought office. He and his wife belong to the Catholic church and their influence is on the side of right and justice. He is one of the most successful young farmers of the county, and his personality is such that he has gained the friendship as well as the respect of those with whom he has come in contact.
CHARLES E. ERICSON.
Charles E. Ericson, who is conducting a furniture and undertaking business in Ceresco, is recognized as one of the substantial men of his town. He was born in Chicago on the 19th of October, 1883, of the marriage of C. J. and Hannah Ericson, both natives of Sweden, where they remained until 1881, when they came to the United States. The father worked at the carpenter's trade in Chicago for nine years but in 1890 came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and purchased eighty acres of land one mile north and one mile east of Ceresco. Subsequently he bought an additional eighty acres half a mile south of his first purchase. He is a wealthy man and has gained a gratifying measure of success. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he holds membership in the Swedish Mission church at Ceresco. To him and his wife were born seven children: Sarah, now the wife of G. N. Skoglund; Charles E.; Ellen, the wife of G. E. Johnson; Esther, at home; Harry, who is operating the home farm; Ebba, who married Clemie Swanson; and Clarence, who is attending the high school in Lincoln.
Charles E. Ericson attended the public schools until he was seventeen years of age and thereafter assisted his father with the work of the homestead until he attained his majority. He next worked as a farm hand for a year, after which he followed the carpenter's trade for three months. At the end of that time he entered the employ of Winter Brothers, general merchants, with whom he remained for eleven months. Subsequently he engaged in the hardware business for four and a half years but in 1911 he became the owner of a furniture and undertaking business, which he has since conducted. He has erected the building which he occupies and his store is in every respect up-to-date. He carries an excellent line of furniture and undertaking supplies and has gained an enviable reputation for reasonable prices and excellent service. In 1915 he was graduated from the Hohenschuh-Carpenter School of Embalming at Des Moines, Iowa, where is taught what is known as the American system of embalming, the school being recognized as a standard one.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 79
Mr. Ericson was married April 15, 1911, to Miss Lela Nelson, a daughter of Gust A. Nelson, a native of Sweden. To this union has been born a son Clifford.
Although Mr. Ericson generally supports the republican party he at times votes independently as he considers the fitness of the candidate for the position in question to be of greater importance than his political affiliation. He holds membership in the Swedish Mission church and his influence is always on the side of right and justice. He has not only gained gratifying success in business but has also won the sincere respect of all who have come in contact with him.
Reynold Helsing is one of the pioneer farmers of Saunders county and is now living retired. Sweden has furnished many substantial and enterprising citizens of Nebraska, men who have contributed to the development and upbuilding of the state. Among this number is Mr. Helsing, who was born at Falun Lan, Sweden, on the 14th of February, 1848. There he was reared and learned the blacksmith's trade and on the 25th of November, 1868, he arrived in Omaha, Nebraska, where he spent the winter, working at any honest employment that he could secure. He was ambitious, however, to own property and engage in business for himself and therefore took a homestead on section 32, Center precinct, Saunders county. His original home was a little dugout eight by twelve feet, the door and window frames being of lumber. He worked on the Union Pacific Railway between Omaha and Lincoln for a time, spending about three years in that way, after which his parents came to the new world and erected a little house on land belonging to Reynold Helsing. The son then boarded with his parents for seven years, at the end of which time he married and built a home for himself and bride. He afterward devoted his entire attention to farming and greatly improved his property, bringing his fields to a high state of cultivation, so that he annually harvested good crops. He afterward added to his original holdings by the purchase of eighty acres of railroad land, for which he paid ten dollars per acre. Still later he bought one hundred and twenty acres on section 36, Mariposa precinct, and concentrated his energies upon the development of this tract, for which he had paid thirty-seven dollars and a half per acre. His labors wrought a marked transformation in the appearance of his land, to which he added various improvements. He carried on general farming and stock-raising, both branches of his business constituting sources of substantial profit, but in 1908 he turned his farm over to the care and management of his sons and removed to Wahoo, where he has since lived retired. After he had been in Saunders county for a year he was joined by his brothers, John and Abraham, both of whom homesteaded in Center precinct. It was three years later when their parents came, spending their remaining days in Saunders county, where the father passed
80 PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II
away at the age of eighty years, while the mother was more than ninety-one years of age at the time of her demise.
On the 4th of March, 1878, Mr. Helsing was united in marriage to Miss Carolina Samuelson, a native of Sweden, who came to the United States in 1872. They have a family of twelve children: Carl V., who follows farming, in Montana; John T., who lives upon the old homestead; Alex G., who is manager of a culvert factory at Des Moines, Iowa; Jacob L., who is manager of a culvert factory in Lincoln, Nebraska; Benhard, who is traveling salesman for the culvert factory at Lincoln; Annie, the wife of John Peterson, of Grand Island, Nebraska; Altfreda, the wife of Harvey Woods, of Amelia, Holt county, Nebraska; Hilda, at home; Ida and Eva, who are teachers in Holt county; Alma a teacher in the home district in Saunders county; and Victoria, who is teaching in Fillmore county, Nebraska.
Mr. Helsing has ever been a stalwart republican since becoming a naturalized American citizen and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day but does not seek nor desire office. He and his family are members of the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran church and their religious faith finds expression in their daily lives. Mr. Helsing has lived to witness many notable changes in the county, where he has now resided for forty-six years. At the time of his arrival this district was upon the western frontier with only here and there a little settlement to show that the work of civilization and progress had been begun. Over the prairies and the hills was spread verdure of nature's planting, but the wild prairie grasses were soon replaced by the waving grain as the work of developing and cultivating the fields was carried forward by the enterprising farmers who established their homes within its borders. The conditions of pioneer life had begun to give way before an advancing civilization and Saunders county is now a prosperous and populous section of the state. It has many splendidly improved farms with fine farmhouses and other substantial buildings, while its towns teem with every phase of commercial life. Mr. Helsing can relate various interesting incidents of the early days and he rejoices to see what has been accomplished as the years have gone on.
Among the prosperous farmers and stock-raisers of Stocking township is Joseph Lanik, who was born in Moravia, Austria, in February, 1862, a son of Frank and Tonie (Rezac) Lanik, also natives of Moravia. When our subject was fourteen years of age the family emigrated to the United States and, making their way to the middle west located on section 8 Stocking township, this county. The father first purchased a relinquishment and a number of head of stock and began farming and stock-raising. He made many improvements upon his place, where he continued to reside until his death in 1906. He had long survived his wife, who died about a year after the arrival of the family in this county. Both were buried in the Catholic cemetery near Wahoo. They were the parents of two children, the brother of our subject being John, who is now living retired in Wahoo.
PAST AND PRESENT OF SAUNDERS COUNTY, VOL II 81
Joseph Lanik attended school in Bohemia for six years and after the family came to this country he continued his education here. He remained at home with his father and after the latter's demise became the owner of the farm of one hundred acres. He has improved the place and is at present remodeling the residence. He raises graded stock in addition to growing grain and receives a gratifying income from his land.
When eighteen years old Mr. Lanik was married to Miss Frantiska Konecky, also a native of Moravia, who came with her parents to this country three years before her husband's family emigrated here. Mr. and Mrs. Lanik have become the parents of fifteen children: Mary, who died when fourteen years old; one who died in infancy; Bessie, who also died in infancy; Fanny, the wife of Frank Kunasek, a farmer of this county; Daisy, at home; Tonie, the wife of Joseph Wrana; a farmer living near Bee, Nebraska; Emma, at home; Anna, the wife of Stanley Jirovsky, of Schuyler, Nebraska; Agnes, at home; Joseph, who is farming two miles southeast of Wahoo; and. Frank, Rose, Mary, Bessie and Louis, all at home.
Mr. Lanik is a republican and is now serving as road overseer. He and his family are communicants of the Catholic church and seek to further the spread of its influence. He is also identified with the Catholic Union of Wahoo. He has made many friends in this county and those who are most closely associated with him hold him in the highest regard, which is evidence of an upright life.
THEODORE FERDINAND ANDERSON.
Theodore Ferdinand Anderson, who is a highly esteemed resident of Colon, holds title to three hundred and twenty acres of excellent land in Center precinct. He was born in Sweden on the 25th of January, 1846, a son of Anders and Anna (Odahl) Munson, who passed their entire lives in that country. The father was a farmer by occupation and gained a fair measure of success. In the family were nine children, namely: Anders Peter and Carl August, both deceased; John Alfred, who is living in Sweden; Gustave A., who is deceased; Frand Otto, who is living in Sweden; Theodore Ferdinand; Anna Christina and Mary Matilda, both of whom have passed away; and Sophia, who is living in Sweden.
Theodore Ferdinand Anderson was educated in the common schools of his native land and remained at home until he was twenty-one years of age. He then emigrated to the United States and, making his way to the middle west, located in Marquette, Michigan, where he worked in the mines for a year. He next went to Knox county, Missouri, where he worked on the railroad for six months. At the end of that time he came to Saunders county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead on section 2, Center precinct. For the first two years he lived in a dugout but at the end of that time he prospered sufficiently to erect a good farm house. He resided upon his place until 1905, when he removed to Colon, where he is now living. He holds title to three hundred and twenty acres of excellent land, from which he derives a good income. He