This is a Saunders County NEGenWeb Project web page


park the trailer containing our worldly possessions. Our destination was Wahoo and an interview with Dr. H.E. Hedlund. My husband had recently graduated from Auburn Univ. in Alabama, and we were looking at large animal practices.

   Both of us had been born on farms in middle Tennessee, near Monroe and had met while attending Presbyterian high school at Alpine, Tenn. Our English, Dutch, and Irish ancestors had migrated across the Appalachian Mts. from Virginia to settle in Overton Co. My children have accused me of stretching my 1½ mile walk to a two-room country school to as much as 10 miles as I chauffeured and lectured, "When I was your age I --." We grew up working in the corn fields, tending huge gardens and caring for the mules, cows, hogs, and chickens.

   After graduating from Berea College in Ky., I taught Home Economics for one year at Midway Jr. College in Ky. In 1945, it seemed much more patriotic to be making maps for the War Dept. than teaching at a girls' school, so I left for the TVA in Chattanooga, Tenn. We were married in Chattanooga June 1, 1946, and took the bus to Gatlinburg in the Smokies for our honeymoon. Dr. Little had attended the Univ. of Tenn. and served in the Army before enrolling at Auburn.

   A corner room in the Le Grand Hotel was our first home. On those hot Saturday nights, I was intrigued with the street activity below our window and the Czech language being spoken. The hotel lobby housed the newly organized Farmers Coop office where I worked that summer prior to a 3-yr. teaching position in the Yutan High School; then moving to Mead to teach.

   Dr. Hedlund and Dr. Little have been partners for 35 yrs. Their Clinic was a former livery stable at 4th and Broadway which was purchased from Dr. O.H. Person. The Green Acre Animal Clinic, one mile south of town, was built in 1965, and we had built our home across the highway in 1952.

   We have four children. Larry, a dermatologist, is married to Eunice Hall, a Wahoo girl, and lives in Portsmouth, Ohio. Steve is a Lincoln policeman. Jim, an engineering student at UNO, and Linda is a Nebraska Wesleyan Sophomore.

   Through the years we have been active in many organizations: the Presbyterian Church, Republican Party, 4-H and Boy Scouts, and partners with Al Krumel in building the 300 Bowl. I've served on the Public School, ESU, and Library Boards. The past 15 yrs. I have been a Consulting Dietitian for the Saunders Co. Community Hospital.

   We came to Saunders Co., we liked the area, we loved the people, we practiced our professions, we stayed and have established deep roots. Submitted by Lurine Booher Little


   Keith and Glendora Livers began their married life on the farm where they now live. They were married in August of 1953. Keith is a farmer with shop work always being a special interest to him. Glendora is a teacher and is currently teaching in the Ashland-Greenwood School. They are members of the Ashland United Methodist Church and several social and professional organizations.

Keith Livers Family
Keith Livers Family, Oct. 25, 1980 -- Keith, Glendora, Karol, Vyrl, Steve.

   Glendora is the 4th generation of Meeses in Saunders County. C.O. Meese came to Nebraska in 1867-68. His obituary, written in 1909, states: "Then in company with seven families, comprising about 30 persons, they emigrated west, and crossing the Missouri River by ferry at Plattsmouth, they located in Saunders County and were companions for many years."

   Glendora's grandfather, George (wife Hattie Cowan), and father, Glenn (wife Susie Vera King), lived and farmed in Saunders County. Keith was born in Cass County but his great-great-grandfather, Rev. Peter Lansing came to the Yutan area in 1870.

   The Livers have three children: Karol (Mrs. Tom Downer), Vyrl, and Steve. Karol and Vyrl are both graduates of the University of Nebraska College of Agriculture. Steve is in Ashland-Greenwood High School. Karol lives in Hastings, Nebr. and works for U.S.D.A. Vyrl and Steve farm with their dad. Submitted by Glendora Livers


   John Henry Lohman came to Saunders County in 1902, when only 16, to live with a relative, Joe Lohmann. He was working on the farm, northeast of Cedar Bluffs, when he married a neighbor girl, Ruby Kimble, on November 8, 1911 in Omaha. They lived there one year as the older Lohmanns retired to Fremont. John dropped the second "n" in Lohmann after he came to Nebraska.

Ruby and John Lohman
Ruby and John, October 27, 1963

   John was born July 19, 1886 to August and Margaretha Brunckhorst Lohmann, farmers at Webster City, Iowa. He was one of nine children. Being immigrants from Hanover Province, they spoke German at home and John attended Lutheran parochial school. His two grandfathers were named John or "Johann" and each parent had a brother with the same name, so to be sure they wished to honor them by naming the first son after them. Following his German heritage, John stood straight and strong in his prime, a handsome man with blond hair and blue eyes.

   Ruby Frances Kimble was born October 28, 1892 to Adam and Edith Williams Kimble of Cedar Bluffs. She was named after her mother's sister, Frances. Ruby was the second of three daughters. She helped a lot on the farm as work was always in great supply. Ruby attended School District 25. As she grew older, she enjoyed singing and attended the neighborhood dances. She always had a gleam in her eye and a sense of humor.

   John and Ruby moved southwest of Cedar Bluffs on Kimble land, after their first year of marriage. They were the parents of two children, Edith Darlene, born July 31, 1917, named for her Grandma Kimble, and Lavonne John, born April 22, 1919, named after his father. Darlene married Paul M. Freeman and "Bud" married Elizabeth Johannsen.

   They farmed in Saunders County until 1933, and then lived by Omaha, farming eleven more years. They sold out in the fall of 1944 and moved to Fremont. John worked several jobs before completely retiring. He worked at the Mead Ordnance Plant until war's end, and also did carpenter work. John was a janitor at Midland College for several years.

   John was a fair carpenter and enjoyed working with wood, often making things for his grandchildren. An avid reader, he was always aware of current events, and enjoyed discussing them. Whenever his grandchildren were around, he was ready for a game of checkers or pitch, and much to their disappointment, usually won.

   Ruby's health was not good and she often enjoyed trips to the south in the winter. She liked needlework and growing flowers. She was always interested in her children and grandchildren and loved visiting with them.

   Ruby passed away after a lengthy illness on February 29, 1968. John lived several years more, always remaining in his own home until the last two weeks of life, which were spent in the Fremont Hospital Annex. He died December 19, 1977. Both are buried in Memorial Cemetery in Fremont. Submitted by Darlene Freeman


   Irving Lorenz is the son of Henry and Elsie Lorenz and grandson of Peter Lorenz and Claus Jungjohann of Gretna. Irving married Evelyn Koch of Gretna, daughter of William and Margaret Koch. Her grandparents were the Chris Biel and Henry Koch families of Douglas County. The Lorenzes live on the farm given to Irving's father by Peter Lorenz. Irving owns the farm today.

   Irving served in World War II six years. He was the first man drafted in the county. His interest in soil conservation led to the Saunders County Soil Conservation Award in 1957. He is interested in education and served on the Mead School Board sixteen years. Evelyn is a hairdresser and owned a shop in Gretna which she sold recently.

   Irving and Evelyn have one son, Charles. Charles is a graduate of the University of Nebraska. He is married to Cindy Lotz of Benkelman and they have two daughters, Stephanie and Natalie. Charles farms and feeds livestock in partnership with his father and lives in Yutan. Submitted by Irving and Evelyn Lorenz


   William W. Lorenz and Shirley M. Miller were married August 19, 1944. William was born March 22, 1923 to George and Anna Jungjohann of Gretna. Anna died in childbirth. Six months later, William came to Yutan to make his home with Henry and Elsie Lorenz. Elsie was an aunt to William and they raised him as their own son. When he reached high school age his name was changed to Lorenz.

   Shirley was born in Wahoo to Morris and Edith Grimes Miller on June 13, 1925.

   William attended Yutan High School and was class president in his senior year. He graduated in 1941. He attended Frye Aircraft School in Omaha, and later moved to California, where he was employed by Lockheed and Vega Aircraft in Burbank. In 1943, he returned to Yutan where he helped his father on the farm.

   Shirley attended Wahoo High School and graduated in 1942. She was employed by Lincoln Telephone and Telegraph Company part-time during high school and, later, full-time. She and William met in 1943 and were married in 1944. They moved to a farm one and one-half miles west of Yutan. That corner was sort of a landmark as time went on and it was referred to as "Billy Lorenz's Corner". People were always calling to see if they could get past that corner to get to Highway 92 in a snowstorm.

   Shirley, being a "city girl," had much to learn about the farm. In those days everyone for miles around could listen in on your telephone conversation. One day Bill's mother called and Shirley answered. Shirley thought she had asked her to bring three pounds of cork when she really had said, "Bring a three-tined fork." She never quite lived down that conversation as the neighbors would not let her forget. She also sold three of their nice laying hens to a peddler for a bushel of apples only to find the bottom half to be rotten.

page 310

   On April 3, 1946 a daughter, Susan Kay was born to Bill and Shirley but she died at birth.

   On September 30, 1947 William Jr. was born. He attended school in Yutan and was graduated in 1966. He received the God and Country Award from the American Legion. He attended Fairbury Junior College, graduating in 1968. He attended Nettleton Business College and in 1973 he was employed by Western Electric. He married Kathy Wiese of West Point, Nebraska on June 21, 1975. They made their home in Omaha, Kathy working at Mutual of Omaha until May 5, 1979 when William III was born. A second son, Todd Wayne, was born to them on February 15, 1981.

   Robert Lee Lorenz was born to Bill and Shirley on August 26, 1950. He attended Yutan Grade and High School. He was active in sports, especially football, and received many medals and ribbons in track. Graduating in May, 1968 he was employed at Western Electric. He married Kathleen Wessling of Valley and May 4, 1970 Kimberly Ann was born. They lived in Millard but three years later they were divorced.

   Bob is an avid hunter and sportsman winning trophies in trapshoots. He belongs to the Yutan and Western Electric Gun Clubs.

   A third son was born on December 10, 1959. Timothy James made their family complete. He attended Yutan grade school but in 1970 Bill and Shirley decided to quit farming and purchased Cribbett's Motel near the Wahoo Airport. Tim then attended St. Wenceslaus and Neumann High School. In his sophomore year he was elected president of his class. In June of 1977, he was selected to participate in the American Legion Nebraska State Patrol Lawman Program. He graduated in 1978. He entered Creighton University in the fall in the School of Pharmacy.

   Bill and Shirley, as proprietors of Bill's Wahoo Motel, have met many interesting people from about every state and Canada. Located at the intersection of Highways 92, 77 and 109, they are close to town but still have the privacy of the country. They enjoy planting flowers and having a garden. One of their hobbies is taking flowers and vegetables to the open class at the county fair. Submitted by Shirley Lorenz


   Samuel Loudon was born at Coin, Iowa in 1867, Mary Briggs in Huntington County, Pa. in 1868. Their parents were Scotch Irish. Mary's mother was German. She claimed to be Scotch Irish Dutch. They had been dairy farmers in Pa. and were seeking fertile land where rocks would not have to be cleared every spring.

   The Loudons were settled on a farm in Iowa before the Briggs family came west. After Sam and Mary's baby, Vida, was born, they went in groups with relatives, John M. Loudon, John Jr., David, 2 families of Linders and the Bartons.

   Mary's father, Alexander Briggs, had come to Omaha before he was married, and taught school one year at Florence. Later, he homesteaded in Iowa. The farm is still in the family. He had heard of good cattle land in western Kansas. He took my mother, a son, and cattle and traveled there in a covered wagon. They lived there one year while the rest of the family held down the Iowa homestead. It was a dry year. They returned and didn't move again.

   Mary and Sam lived one year south of Wahoo in a house that had been a post office; then moved south of Wahoo on a hill which is now the Cook farm. Ruby, Irene and Mildred were born there. Then they moved to a farm one mile west of Wahoo where Herbert and Lamont were born. Sam died there of diabetes in 1904.

   Mary kept the farm one year; then moved to Wahoo where she supported her family by doing housework and working in restaurants. While working at the hotel where Zanuck was born, she learned how to operate a telephone switchboard, and was offered a job in Cedar Bluffs where she worked 14 years, and later did practical nursing. She died in 1948 of cancer.

   She had many descendants. Parents with children are listed as follows; Irene -- Lynn, Janet, and Roberta; Mildred -- Dorothy and Charlotte; Herbert -- Lois; and Donald -- Lamont and adopted Nancy.

   Vida married Frank Barrett. They had no children. Ruby married Leonard Brown. He died in the flu epidemic. She later married Oscar Fenstermacher. She had no children. Irene married Irvin Fenstermacher. Mildred married Earl Presba, Herbert married Mildred Staats, Lamont married Julia Smith.

   Mary's great-grandchildren are married and are performing beneficial service to our country. They live in Conn., Ind., Hawaii, Alaska, Iowa, Cal., Ore., Wyo., and Nebr. They are listed with their parents: Lynn and Noelle Fenstermacher -- John, Robert; Janet and Leslie Torrens -- Gary, Judy and Gene; Dorothy and Floyd Welander -- Wallace, Patty, Barbara; Roberta and Lavon Haxby -- Jill, Nancy, Sherry; Lois and Byron Hund -- Terry, Shelly; Charlotte and Paul Sandberg -- Richard, Sandra, Jan; Donald and Ella Loudon -- Steven, Janeth, Jeffrey. They work at the following jobs: Business, John Robert, Steven, Terry, Richard, and Shelly; Religion -- Gary; Trucking, Jan; Teaching -- Wallace, Jill; Helping handicapped children -- Judy, Nancy, Barbara; Homemakers -- Sandra, Patty, Sherry; Music -- Gene.

   There are 18 great-greats and 2 pregnancies at this time. Isn't it amazing that one couple could have such a family and that the influence of Mary and Sam could continue through the generations! Contributed by Irene Fenstermacher


   My father. John F. Lubker Sr., was born on August 8, 1877 in what was then known as Isla Post Office Territory. It was in Section 5, Mariposa Precinct, Saunders County, Nebraska. Claus H. and Frauke (Odefey) Lubker were his parents. They were born in Hussum and Altoone, Germany and came over in 1869. His grandfather, H.H. Lubker, came with them. They landed in New York and came out to Momence, Kankakee County, Illinois July 4, 1869 and stayed there three years. Later, with a team and extra horse and covered wagon, they started for Nebraska. They planned to go to Grand Island to some friends, but when they got out to Isla Post Office a friend, John Arp, persuaded them to stay there. My father's parents bought railroad land for $4 an acre and fixed a dugout of prairie sod and roof of boards and reeds to live in through the winter. Later, they built a small house with a lean-to, and a few years after that, built on an addition to make room for the growing family. They experienced some very hard years. Grasshoppers were so thick one year they left nothing for the harvest. Later, they moved to Wahoo and lived there five years where they had a restaurant and bakery. Later, they moved to Cedar Bluffs and lived there four years where they had a livery, barn, hotel and a Moline Machinery business. Claus H. Lubker was county commissioner for two terms. Later, he purchased a farm two miles south of Cedar Bluffs and moved out there.

Mr. and Mrs. John F. Lubker, Sr.
Mr. and Mrs. John F. Lubker, Sr.

   My father, John F. Lubker, attended school in Wahoo, Cedar Bluffs, and country schools for eight years. In 1898, he started farming for himself. His parents retired and moved to Cedar Bluffs in 1901. Father farmed 10 years prior to his marriage March 16, 1902 to Alvina M. Daufelt who came from Germany in 1901. My parents lived on this farm 62 years. In 1964, they moved to Cedar Bluffs. Dad had lived on the farm a total of 72 years.

   They had five sons and three daughters. One daughter died in 1917. Sons were: Henry T., John F. Jr., Arthur, Francis and Vernon and daughters were Alvena and Katheryn.

   My father served as President of Farmers Union Elevator in Cedar Bluffs 35 years; served on Farm Bureau Executive Committee 15 years; Saunders County Fair Board 15 years; President of German Fire and Lightening Insurance Company 40 years; helped organize the Farmers Union Local and was Sec.-Treas. for 35 years; served on AAA Farm Program 30 years. He was instrumental in organizing a Farmers Threshing Company and served as Sec.-Treas. for 25 years. In 1916 he was elected to Board of Directors of the Bank of Cedar Bluffs. He was one of three trustees on Saunders County Community Hospital Board when the hospital was built and served 10 years.

   My parents were married 67 years. Dad died December, 1969 at age 92 and Mother died January 1980 at age 95. Submitted by Alvena M. Lubker


   Derrel D. and C. Adeline Ludi, classmates at Wahoo High School, married July 18, 1944 in St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Colon, while in the service; he in the U.S. Air Force and she in the U.S. Navy. They have two sons, Steven, 1948 and Kevin, 1952, associated with Ludi Printing Co., Inc.

Darrel and Adeline Ludi
Darrel and Adeline Ludi

   Derrel was born November 17, 1921 in Wahoo, the son of M/M Guy T. Ludi; Adeline, born September 20, 1921, on a Colon farm, the daughter of M/M Anton Brukner. Both graduated from Wahoo High in 1939 and, following four years of service, Derrel graduated from University of Nebraska in 1946. Adeline was a recruiter for the Navy and Derrel, a radar technician serving on Guam.

   Following service and graduation, they resided in Wahoo. Derrel joined his family in the Wahoo Democrat and publishing business as editor and, later, publisher, when the Democrat was changed to Wahoo Newspaper, 1948.

   Derrel was active in music and high school sports, lettering three years in football, basketball and baseball. Senior year he held first trumpet chair in

page 311

band; Life Scout and camp bugler for two years, earning sharpshooter in rifle; served as secretary-treasurer of Wahoo Gun Club two years; is a life member.

   Adeline, clerk-typist at Nebraska Ordnance Plant from December 1941 to May 1943, enlisted in the Navy that year. She trained at Hunter College, New York and was stationed in Washington, D.C. for six months in the Naval Operations Secret Mail Room; later, transferring to the Naval Department, Board of Trade Building, Chicago as recruiter.

   She served American Legion Post #82 Auxiliary as secretary and one of the first female members of the Post; as North Ward PTA secretary; President, Women's Division Hilltop Country Club and Wahoo Housing Authority; Wahoo Centennial Board; St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church organizations; American Legion, Heart Ass'n; Cancer Society.

   Derrel was first third-generation president of Nebraska Press Association, 1964; a member and served as officer in North Ward PTA, Lions Club, Country Club, Chamber of Commerce, Methodist Church Board of Stewards, Historical Society (charter member and first secretary), Wahoo Industries, National Wildlife Federation, Wahoo Development Committee, American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Jaycees (charter member), Community Men's Chorus, Masonic Lodge of Wahoo, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Wahoo School Board, Executive Committee Boy Scouts of America, Ak-Sar-Ben District Ambassador for 16 years under the late Leo A. Daly, Judicial Procedural Committee for Nebraska, Keep Nebraska Beautiful board; District Judges Selection committee; Delta Sigma Chi award winner (first weekly in 35 years), Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

   Adeline's hobbies include golf, gardening, painting and handwork. Derrel's hobbies are hunting fishing, mushroom and walnut hunting. Submitted by Adeline Ludi


   Richard Ludvik and Agnes (Chapek) Ludvik were both born on farms near Weston in 1916. Richard's parents were John A. Ludvik, born near Weston, and Frances (Dobesh) Ludvik, born near Brainard. In 1920 they moved to rural David City. Richard has four sisters -- Delores Brezina, Adeline Jones, Geraldine Davis and Lucille MacMillan. A brother, Raymond, died in infancy. Richard attended District 26 in Butler County and David City High School. His mother died in 1937 and his father in 1960.

Richard and Agnes Ludvik
Richard and Agnes Ludvik, 1982

   Agnes was the daughter of Frank J. Chapek, who was born in Moravia and, with his parents, brothers and sisters came to America in 1881, purchased land near Weston at $6 an acre. Agnes' mother was Mary (Svoboda) Chapek who was born near Wahoo. Agnes had five brothers, Joseph, Ludvik and Adolph. Bernard died in 1963 and Frank died in infancy. She attended District 28 school near Weston and St. Wenceslaus High School. Her father died in 1963 and her mother in 1979.

   Richard and Agnes were married October 11, 1938 in St. John's Church in Weston by Msgr. Victor Mlejnek. They started their married life near David City where Dorothy and twins, John and Janice, were born. In 1944, they moved to the farm near Wahoo where they still reside. Farming was done with horses and at this time tractors were taking over. Harvesting consisted of husking corn by hand and threshing grain. There was no electricity, running water or graveled roads. Canning and freezing meats, fruits and vegetables was always an important project, as was sewing most of the family's clothes.

   Five more children, Betty, Bernice, James, Robert and Richard were born at Wahoo. They attended school at St. Wenceslaus, District 87, Wahoo High and Neumann High. Special family activities were 4-H where the girls were mainly involved in home economics projects. The boys had beef and swine for their projects. In 1962, the Ludvik family was named Farm Family of Week by Channel 6, WOW Omaha TV. They have been involved in St. Wenceslaus parish where Richard served as trustee and on advisory committees. He is a member of Knights of Columbus. Agnes is a member of PCCW, St. Ludmilla's Guild and Altar Society.

   The eight children have all left home. Dorothy married Wayne Niedfelt. They have 2 daughters, Teresa and Barbara, and live near Wahoo. John is an ordained priest for Lincoln Diocese and is pastor in Brainard. Janice is a member of Notre Dame Convent of Omaha and is in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Betty married Robert Lyons. They have three daughters, Michele, Maurya and Mona, and live in Hastings. Bernice married David Mettenbrink. They have two daughters, Amy and Lisa Marie, and live in York. Jim is employed and lives in Omaha. Robert married Sue Hatt. They have one daughter, Renee, and live in Lincoln. Richard just recently graduated from University of Nebraska.

   Richard and Agnes are presently semi-retired from farming, and still reside on the farm. Submitted by Richard and Agnes Ludvik, October, 1982


   Rudy and Lillian Ludvik have lived on their farm four miles south of Wahoo since Sept. 10, 1946, the date of their marriage.

   Rudy was born northwest of Weston on Sept. 3, 1924, to Rudolph and Agnes Ludvik. He has one brother and three sisters. He attended school at District 98.

   Lillian was born near Malmo on Feb. 27, 1925, to James and Maymie Hula. She has one brother and one sister. She attended school at District 70 and Malmo High School.

   Both families experienced the drouth, depression, and the days without electricity and modern conveniences.

   The Ludviks became the parents of three sons and one daughter. Bernie, born Nov. 2, 1948, lives in Crete, Nebr. and has a daughter, Mikel. David, born Mar. 1, 1951, lives in Valparaiso and has a son, Gregory, and daughter, Sara. Daniel was born April 27, 1959, lives in Wahoo, and has a daughter, Holly. Lynette was born Dec. 28, 1961 and lives at home. All attended St. Wenceslaus Catholic School and Neumann High School.

   The Ludvik family members were engaged in farming, dairying, livestock production and enjoyed gardening. They belong to St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church in Wahoo. Since 1978 they have done no farming but are both employed in Wahoo. By Mrs. Lillian (Rudy) Ludvik


   John Paul Luers, a farmer and carpenter, was born in Wahoo 2 March 1877. His parents, also farmers, lived four miles northeast of Wahoo.

Paul and Belle Luers
Paul and Belle Luers Wedding, June 24, 1899

   He married Niota Belle Porter at the Baptist parsonage in Wahoo in 1899. She was the daughter of Freeman and Mary Ann Porter of Wahoo.

   Aunt Belle was a beautiful woman with black hair and sparkling brown eyes. I think it was her smile and happy nature that made her so beautiful.

   Almost from the beginning of their marriage, tragedy struck. Their first child, Harold, was born crippled in 1903. Being a follower of the Christian Science religion, Aunt Belle was several days in labor due to having such a large baby.

   In 1908, the second son, Carl, was born. At the age of 14, while preparing to stay with his Uncle Truman in Wahoo so he could attend high school, he was struck by lightning and killed while standing in the barn door watching the rain. At this time the family was living on a farm near Crawford, but they buried their son in Sunrise Cemetery in Wahoo.

   Uncle Paul was a tall, slender man; a very quiet, easy-going fellow. He spent most of his time outside with my father during their visits with us. Dad always talked about how Uncle Paul could witch a well with a willow stick.

   Aunt Belle was a colorful woman, and especially loved her hats -- many of them being adorned with bright feathers. She loved quilting and made beautiful crazy quilts from scraps of material my mother saved for her. She helped provide our family with many warm quilts for the cold Nebraska winters. She always had a needle in her hand or, in later years, would be crocheting fancy work for her relatives, including beautiful crocheted bedspreads.

   The family later moved to California; and Harold continued to live with his parents until their deaths in the 1950's. He loved the outdoors; and, being a strong, energetic person, was always busy in his garden or chopping wood. Never having lost his longing for the Midwest, he returned to Missouri where he lived on a small farm until his death at age 63; and was also buried in the Luers family plot at Sunrise Cemetery. The family left no heirs. Submitted by Mary Ann Porter Broome


   My paternal grandfather, Samuel Scott Lutton, was born in New Castle, Penn. in 1852. My grandmother, Fannie Mae Winingar, was born in 1861 in Highland County, Ohio. Samuel homesteaded in Knox County, Nebraska and married Fannie there in 1881. My father, Claude Denton, was born there in 1882. The family moved to Valley, Nebraska in 1889.

   My maternal grandfather, James Greene Herrington, was born in upper New York state in 1846 and settled in Waterloo, Nebraska in 1880. My

page 312

Back Family Index Contents Next

Return to
The Saunders County NEGenWeb Project

© 2002 - designed by Connie Snyder for The NEGenWeb Project.