Saunders County NEGenWeb Project


Page 5

You may submit your Saunders County Obituaries for posting to this page. We can only post obituaries that are older than 1923, or where you have written permission from the newspaper to reprint/post them. You may submit an 'extract' for an obituary for current obituaries. Thank you for following these guidelines. Submit your obituaries to Connie Snyder

Note: We now have special permission to post obituaries from the Ashland Gazette.

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7
Names Index

Submitted by John Wolfe



This community was saddened on Monday morning to learn of the death of S. D. Auten which occurred at his home in this city at an early hour that morning. His wife and two sons, Stanton and Charles, were with him when the end came. Mr. Auten was taken sick two weeks ago with an attach of erysipelas. While he suffered much pain during this attack and his family realized that he was seriously ill there was no thought of a fatal termination until a day or so before the end came when paralysis set in.

Funeral services were held at the home Wednesday afternoon, Rev. E. R. Tipton of the Methodist church officiating. In accordance with the wishes of Mr. Auten, the services were simple. The pall bearers were Levi Williams, S. W. Young, B. Walker, Ed Kern, F. J. Tedy and Clem Wilcox.

The remains were laid to rest in the Willow Creek cemetery in Saunders county where the members of the family who have gone before are buried.

Samuel Davis Auten was born in Owen county, Indiana, January 4, 1852, and died at his home in North Bend, Nebraska, December 12, 1921.

At the age of twelve years he moved to Sullivan county, Indiana, with his parents and lived there until he was twenty years old. At that time, the spring of 1872, he came to Nebraska and located on a homestead in Saunders county four miles northwest of Prague. His parents had come to Nebraska the preceding fall.

In September of 1872 Mr. Auten was married to Eliza Crosser. Two children were born to this union. One died in infancy and the other passed away at the age of thirteen. His wife died in May, 1875.

December 15, 1878, Mr. Auten was married to Ida E. Hall. Three children were born to them, William Stanton, Cloyed Ethel, and Charles Franklin. Cloyed Ethel died at the age of two years.

In 1903 Mr. and Mrs. Auten and son, Charles moved to Dodge county and located on a farm one mile east of North Bend, and one year later the other son, W. S. Auten, also moved to Dodge county, locating on a farm one and a half miles east of North Bend.

Besides his wife and two sons other near surviving relatives of Mr. Auten are four sisters, Mrs. Emily Mahon of Shelburn, Indiana; Mrs. Ellen McClung of Lovington, Illinois; Mrs. Mary Kiser of North Bend; Mrs. Henry Wolfe of Cedar Bluffs, and three grandchildren, Ida Mae, Carol Elnora, and Louise Lillian Auten.

Of Mr. Auten it can be truly said that he strove to "fill his niche and to accomplish his task." Until the last ten years of his life Mr. Auten had been a hard worker and the work of his hands, coupled with sound business judgement, had brought him more than ordinary material success. But in a larger sense Mr. Auten's life was successful. Without ostentation, yet to the highest extent, he fulfilled his obligations to his family and to his fellowmen. He particularly disliked display. His good works were done quietly. But it is known that no case of real need was ever brought to Mr. Auten's attention in vain. So in performing his duties to the nation, the state and the community, he made no parade, but with firm conviction and and with his own conscience as a guide, took his stand upon public questions. Mr. Auten's opinions commanded respect because of their sincerity. He was of a social disposition and his pleasant greeting will be missed by those who, perhaps, had no further acquaintance with him save as they passed him on the streets. To the many who knew him well and had trusted that his earthly associations would continue several years longer, his loss is a keen one.

Submitted by John Wolfe

AUTEN, James

WILLOW CREEK * Old Mr. Auten who had been sick so long, passed quietly away on the morning of June 18, 1884, the same day that the great and good Bishop Simpson entered into his rest. Mr. Auten was one of the pioneers of Chester precinct, coming here in August 1871, and was universally respected by all who knew him. His funeral was preached by Rev. Hull in the beautiful grove planted by his own hands after which he was followed to the grave by 35 wagons and buggies all loaded with sympathizing friends and neighbors. A few days before his death, he was taken to the beautiful cemetery that he had helped with his own hands and with his own money to fence and otherwise beautify and he selected his lot and had it marked for his resting place.

Submitted by John Wolfe

AUTEN, Eleanor Nancy Davis

Wahoo, Nebraska-

Eleanor Nancy Davis was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, February 16, 1818 and died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Henry Wolfe, Sand Creek, Saunders County, Nebraska January 28, 1900 of cancer, aged 81 years, 11 months, 12 days. She moved with her parents to Carol County, Ohio and in 1836 was married to Upton Dayhuff.

To this union were born two sons, three daughters, two of whom with the husband died in September, 1842, another child in 1843, and another, Mrs. Hancock, died in Sherman County, Nebraska February 26, 1888.

Mr. and Mrs. Dayhuff were earnest christian members of the church of the United Brethren in Christ. In 1844 she married Jas. Auten, who preceded her home June 18, 1884. They had eight children, five of whom survive them: Mrs. Mary Kiser, Jas. Auten, North Bend; S.D. Auten, Willow Creek; Mrs. Lottie Wolfe, Sand Creek and Mrs. Mahon, Indiana. In 1850 they moved to Owen County, Indiana.

They helped to form a class at their home as they had no place to worship and so regular services as well as protracted meetings were held in their home. Father and Mother Auten even gave to the minister a home. She was an earnest, devoted christian, doing what she could for the cause of Christ.

She was a faithful wife, mother and friend. All will remember her who knew Grandma Auten. She was a pioneer, coming to their home at Willow Creek, Nebraska, in 1871, where she lived until the infirmities of age and disease made it necessary for her to have the care of her children who have tenderly and lovingly given it.

She has been a great sufferer but while the powers of mind and soul remained her trust was in Jesus, her hope was bright of heaven. How many times her testimony has been: "I have no ill report to bring from that goodly land".

She was laid beside father Auten in the beautiful Willow Creek cemetery while her memory still lives.

Submitted by

ELLISON, William


William Ellison was born in County Down, Ireland, May 6, 1829 and died at the home of his eldest daughter, Mrs. Jas. McCord May 22, 1920, aged 91 years and 16 days.

He is survived by his ten children, two sons and eight daughters viz: Geo. H. and William J. Ellison, Mrs: Jennie McCord, Mrs. Minnie Miller, Mrs. Anna Sutton, Mrs. Emma McCord, Mrs. Myrtle Mowers, Mrs. Nellie Woodworth and Mrs. Edna Monteen, all of Saunders county and Mrs. Verna Bahde of Frankfort, South Dakota and his twenty-five grandchildren.

Mr. Ellison was the last survivor of a family of ten children; three brothers and six sisters, together with his beloved wife having preceded him in death. At the age of twenty-two years with other members of the family he left his native country and came to America, settling in New York state where he remained several years.

The call of the west became too strong to resist, and in the early 60's he came to Iowa settling at Dubuque. At this place on Sept. 29, 1865, he was united in marriage to Anna J. Martin. They continued their residence in Iowa until 1869 when they came to Saunders county settling upon the old homestead which became their continuous residence for thirty eight - years.

Owing to Mrs. Ellison's falling health they moved to Wahoo in 1907; at which time they transferred their church membership to the Wahoo Presbyterian church both having been members of the Marietta Presbyterian church; Mrs. Ellison a charter member and Mr. Ellison since 1881.

The home of this Pioneer couple was widely known for its gracious hospitality and its pervading spirit of friendliness; and no other home has been more sincerely missed from the Marietta community.

Mr. Ellison was particularly a home body; he reveled in the society of his children and grandchlldren: and he was happiest when surrounded in his own home by the entire family group.

For over fifty-three years together himself and (Mamma), as he always called his companion, traveled lifes pathway sharing its joys and sorrows.

When on February 13, 1919 after an illness extending over two years death claimed her-life lost its interest for him. All the loving thoughtful care bestowed upon him by children and grandchildren was accepted in the spirit given but he longed with patient yearning to be again united with his beloved wife.

It was with calm satisfaction he answered the call of death and with unfaltering trust passed to be with the loved ones gone before.

Submitted by Susan Adkins

MACHACEK, Jan (John)
1849 - 1901

   Died, July 28, at his home, three and one half miles south of Weston, after a sickness of eight months, John Machacek was born in Moravia, in 1849. He moved to this country, settling south of Weston where he has lived, excepting two years at Malmo. Funeral services were held at the church in Weston Tuesday, July 30, the procession forming at the house. Rev. Father Bor preached the sermon. The remains were laid to rest at Znami cemetery, joing his farm. The procession was one of the largest that ever attended a funeral in that part of the country. He was a member of the Katolicky Delnik, in which he was insured for $1000. The lodge turned out in full. He leaves a wife and seven children to morn the loss, but whom he had well provided for.

Submitted by



Anna J. Martin-Ellison Passed Away February 5

For Her To Learn of Suffering Brought Personal Effort To Comfort. She Died As She Had Lived-Honored, Trusted and Loved.

Anna J. Martin was born near Belfast, Ireland, March 9,1847 and died Feb. 5, 1919 at Wahoo, Neb., aged 71 years, 11 months and 26 days.

At the age of fifteen she came to America settling in Dubuque, Iowa at which place Sept. 29, 1865 she was united in marriage to Wm. Ellison.

To this union was born ten children, eight daughters and two sons; namely, Mrs. Jennie McCord, Mrs. Minnie Miller, Mrs. Anna Sutton, Mrs. Emma McCord, Mrs. Myrtle Mowers, Mrs. Nellie Woodworth, Mrs. Edna Monteen, all of Saunders county. Mrs. Verna Bahde of Frankfort, South Dakota and Geo. H. and Wm. J. Ellison of Saunders county.

Two years after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Ellison came to Saunders county and settled on their homestead in Marietta precinct where they resided for thirty-eight years. Mrs. Ellison's health failing they moved to Wahoo.

Two years ago she decided to undergo a surgical operation in hopes of benefitting her health. Little relief resulted however and she gradually failed in strength until death claimed her.

Funeral service were held in the Marietta Presbyterian church of which she was a charter member and were conducted by Rev. Aston pastor of Marietta church assisted by Rev. Whitney pastor of the Wahoo Presbyterian church.

The pallbearers were John A. Crinklaw, S. H. Carlisle, R. J. Woodworth, Isaac Mack, J. S. Cheney and W. R. Mitchell.

Rev. Whitney spoke with earnest appreciation of Mrs. Ellison's worth as a loyal and devout Christian and testified as to the inspiration and helpfulness found in her unwavering faith in God.

Rev. Aston paid tribute to the character and life of Mrs. Ellison in his sermon based upon the following text from II Tim. "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his.

To the old friends and neighbors in Marietta Mrs. Ellison's death came almost as a personal loss.

A pioneer resident of the Marietta church community she had always in her years of health been identified with every movement for the betterment of her church community.

With her, religion, meant more than an empty form, and her sympathy and support extended alike to all the departments of the work of her church.

Her home circle was not limited to those bound by family ties-the strangers within her gates were welcome guests and she exercised through her keenly sympathetic nature a most gracious hospitality.

Hers was practical religion exemplified in her support of whatever was for the uplift of humanity-for her to learn of suffering of distress, brought response in a personal effort to alleviate and comfort, and she died as she had lived,-honored, trusted and loved. To the aged husband, and the sons daughters and grandchildren of her household she left a priceless heritage of a long lifetime of good works.

Besides the relatives of her own home Mrs. Ellison is survived by three brothers: Wm. Martin of Oakland, Cal., Hugh of St. Paul, Minn., and Moses of Dubuque, Iowa, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Clark of Dubuque.

    "Calm on the bosom of thy God, Fair spirit rest thee now:
    E'en whilst with us thy footsteps trod, His seal was on thy brow.

    Dust. To its narrow cell beneath; Soul, to its place on high;
    They who have seen thy look in death, No more need fear to die.

    Out of the shadow-land over life's ocean, Into the rapture and joy of the Lord.
    Safe in the Father's house welcomed by angels, Hers' the bright crown and eternal reward.

Submitted by Susan Adkins

1824 - 1911

Mr. Frank Ohnoutka, Sr. was suddenly taken ill shortly after dinner on Sunday Feb 26, and succumed to death about an hour later.

He was born in Bohemia, Oct. 6, 1826. He came to America in the summer of 1879. He made his home about four miles south of Weston where he has since resided, living in later years with his son Joseph. Sixty three years ago he was married to Mary Chladek. She with five children, Mrs. Mary Machacek, Mrs. Anton Jelinek, Joseph, Frank Jr., and Anton survive him. He also had thirty-one grandchildren and twenty one great grandchildren. Father Bor officiated at the funeral which was held at St. Johns Catholic church on Tuesday with interment in the cemetery south of town.

The old gentleman was rarely ill, was lively, and of a cheerful disposition. He was always busy. His carefully tended tobacco garden and hand-made willow baskets became his hobby in late years.

A large number of relatives, friends, and neighbors will miss the old gentleman for they have learned to love him for his kindly heart.

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7
Names Index

return to main page

© 2003 - site designed by Connie Snyder