Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals
Volume One, no. 3
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 110 Winter 1978
A-Submitted by Marion A. Bates, Lexington Ne
1900ca ROSTER RENO POST NO. 112, G.A.R., LEXINGTON, DAWSON COUNTY
Commander Jas. W. COOVERT, Senior Vice-Commander J.H. MALONE, Junior Vice-Commander J.W. BENEDICT, Adjutant Ira P. GRISWOLD, QUARTERMASTER Lane RICE, Surgeon H.A. TURTON, Chaplain Chas R. ANTHONY, Officer of the Day G.W. WILSON, Officer of the Guard Mathias FAGOT, Sergeant-Major F.S. MARSH, Quartermaster Sergeant D. MOONEY.
Chas. R. ANTHONY, Priv F, 146 Il Inf;
R.I. ALLEN, 2nd Lieut C, 17 Ky Inf;
Nich. ADAMS, Priv H, 5 Ia Cav;
Jno. BROWN, Sergt A, 58 Pa Inf;
W.W. BANKS, Priv F, 35 Wi Inf;
J.W. BENEDICT, Corp H. 12 Ia Inf;
Geo. H. BLAKESLEE, Corp G, 129 Il Inf;
M.J. BONHAM, Priv G, 1 Ia Ca;
L.N. BIDWELL, Priv I, 144 Il Inf;
F.S. CLAY, Priv G, 8 NH Inf;
David COLE, Priv B. 17 Ma Inf;
Alva COPPER, Priv G, 51 In Inf;
S.M. COURSEY, Priv G, 2 Pa H Art;
Jas. W. COOVERT, Corp H, 151 In Inf;
James DONAHUE, Corp C, 18 Il Inf;
Ben. F. DINSMORE, Priv 1, Pa Lt Art, In Batt;
Silas DRAKE, Priv Batt Ho Pa Lt Art;
Paton DILLON, Priv E, 29 Ia Inf;
Simeon DUMAS, Priv 14 Heavy Art;
J.W. ERVIN, Corp I, 12 In Inf;
Mathias FAGOT, Priv B. 39 Il Inf;
J.M. FUNK, Priv K, 65 Oh Inf;
R.C. FREEMAN, Priv C, 11 Il Inf;
H.W. GARY, NY Cav;
Daniel S. GRAFTON, Priv A, 3 Ia Cav;
Benj. F. GARRISON, Priv A, 6 Mo Cav;
Ira P. GRISWOLD, Sergt H, 103 Oh Inf;
Emons J. GODFREY, Corp F, 177 Oh Inf;
J.W. HARDING, 1 Lieut B, 155 In Inf;
S.O. HALL, Priv B, 17 Il Cav;
A.B. HAMMOND, Priv A, 86 Il Inf;
H.A. HYDE, Corp H, 92 Il Inf;
V.J. HULL, Sergt B, 24 NY Cav;
Wm. F. HILL, Priv G, 23 Ia Inf;
Absalem HENRY, Priv C, 6 Mo Cav;
L. HEINE, Priv H, 43 Wi Inf;
Zardus JEWELL, 1 Sergt K, 92 Il Inf;
Alex I. JOHNSON, Corp F, 14 NJ Inf;
B.F. KRIER, Priv G & D, 3 & 10 NJ Inf;
W.A. KREITZ, Priv A, 153 Pa Inf;
G.D.W. KOHLER, Priv F, 2 Mo Art;
E.H. KRIER, Purser's Steward Eutaw, USN;
Jos. KRING, Priv F, 21 Pa Cav;
E.R. KENNEDY, Capt F, 6 Ia Inf;
S.B. KENASTON, Corp H, 92 Il Inf;
Ben. F. KELLER, Priv D, 8 Ia Cav;
W.J. LAMMA, Priv H, 188 Pa Inf;
C. LAMMA, Priv I, 152 Pa Inf;
John LITTLE, Priv C, 13 Ma Inf;
Wm. J. LAWSON, Priv F, 42 Mo Inf;
A.J. MCCANN, Priv A, 3 Batt US Inf;
S.S. MILLER, Priv A, 92 NY Inf;
J.H. MALONE, Priv D, 20 Il Inf;
Samuel MONTGOMERY, Priv F, 188 Pa Inf;
Peter MUTCHIE, Priv, Batt 2 Wi Lt Art;
F.S. MARSH, Priv K, 9 Il Cav;
Thos MITCHELL, Priv D, 29 Pa Inf;
David MOONEY, Sergt B, 53 Il Inf;
S.C. MULLIN, Priv E, 107 Pa Inf;
J.H. MILLHOUSE, Priv I, 26 In Inf;
Alfred NYE, US Signal Corps;
Jacob NISLEY, Priv H, 2 Pa Inf;
W.H. PATTERSON, Priv C, 7 In Cav;
Ira M. POTTER, Blacksmith M, 5 Mi Cav;
Wm. ROBB, Priv H, 48 Il Inf;
Lane RICE, Priv D, 104 Oh Inf;
Eli W. RUBY, Priv D, 13 Ct Inf;
John S. STUCKEY, Capt D, 138 Pa Inf;
Jas C. SCHULER, Priv I, 10 WV Inf;
H.H. STODDARD, Priv I, 5 Ct Inf;
Geo. SANFORD, Priv A. 3 Ia Inf;
Jos. SMITH, Priv D. 84 NY Inf;
M.M. SHERWOOD, Priv B, 21 Mi Inf;
J.F. SCHETROMPF, Priv B, 3 Md Inf;
H.A. TURTON, Priv K, 45 Ia Inf;
Albert VETTER, Priv G, 77 Oh Inf;
John VINCENT, Priv H, 52 Ky Vol Inf;
T.L. WARRINGTON, Bugler H, 12 Il Cav;
O.H. WILDER, Corp G, 14 Il Inf; J
ohn WISNER, Priv B, 7 NY, D 10 NY H Art;
Geo. W. WILSON, Priv D, 8 Ia Cav;
Perley E. WILSON, Priv I, 1 Wi Inf;
Henry C. WYMAN, Priv E, 8 Ia Inf;
Phillip YOKUM, Priv K, 150 Pa Inf.
C.W. KRIER, Capt Co K, 10 NY Inf;
Thos J. HEWITT, 1 Lieut H, 15 Il Inf;
F.M. ADAMS, Priv E, 6 NJ Inf;
Lewis GESSNER, Priv H, 5 Pa Inf;
J.G. SAWYER, 1 Lieut K, 2 Md Inf.
(Note enclosed: Robt A. WENTWORTH, Priv Co E, 38 Ia Inf, on his way to Soldier Home from Cheyenne.)
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 111 Winter 1978
TWO-LETTER STATE ABBREVIATIONS USED IN "NEBRASKA ANCESTREE"
We follow the rule to capitalize only the first letter of one word states, & both letters if it is two words.Alabama: Al Idaho: Id Montana: Mt Rhode Island: RI Alaska: Ak Illinois: Il Nebraska: Ne South Carolina: SC Arizona: Az Indiana: In Nevada: Nv South Dakotas SD Arkansas: Ar Iowa: Ia New Hampshire: NH Tennessee: Tn American Samoa: AS Kansas: Ks New Jersey: NJ Trust Territories: TT California: Ca Kentucky: Ky New Mexico: NM Texas: Tx Canal Zone: CZ Louisiana: La New York: NY Utah: Ut Colorado: Co Maine: Me North Carolina: NC Vermont: Vt Connecticut: Ct Maryland: Md North Dakota: ND Virginia: Va Delaware: De Massachusetts: Ma Ohio: Oh Virgin Islands: VI District of Columbia: DC Michigan: Mi Oklahoma: Ok Washington: Wa Florida: Fl Minnesota: Mn Oregon: Or West Virginia: WV Georgia: Ga Mississippi: Ms Pennsylvania: Pa Wisconsin: Wi Guam: Gu Missouri: Mo Puerto Rico: PR Wyoming: Wy Hawaii: Hi
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 111 Winter 1978
Source "Omaha World Herald," 7 Nov 1917 pg 4 Cols 1 & 2
Copied by: Mrs. Georgene Morris Sones, Omaha Ne
Imperial, Chase Co, contributors, for soldiers: (Newspaper is torn so all are not readable.)
W. J. OUDERKIRK,
O. W. LAWHORN,
W. J. HARMON,
FOSTER & BREMER,
L.W. SMITH & Son,
E. E. WEDGER,
J. L. HOWARD,
E. F. BAILEY,
A. S. CAMPBELL,
Mrs. A. S. CAMPBELL,
J. L. SALSMAN,
Mrs. R. DOVER,
J. W. FORSYTHE,
Mrs. A. ROE,
D. F. MEEKER,
J. N. WHITELY,
F. M. MOODY,
R. E. LEE,
Mrs. Mary MORAN,
Dr. E.M. STEWART,
Charles W. MEEKER,
Mary A. MURPHY, Manley, Ne;
Dan BURKE, Manley, Ne;
George HAMILTON, Richfield, Ne;
Amy HAMILTON, Richfield, Ne;
Cyril LILGE, Falls City, Ne;
Mrs. H. F. ELSASSER, Deming, NM.
Fremont: Mrs. Franklin A. MOSELEY, 23, died 6 Nov 1917 leaving a two day old baby. She was Pearl WITTMERSHOUSE of York.
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 112 Winter 1978
A-Source "Scottsbluff & the North Platte Valley"
Copied by: Mrs. Jean Rima, Whelton Ne
It is a long trek back through the years of pioneer history to the time when the first homesteader made filing on land in what is now ScottsBluff County. A thin trickle of settlers began making homes in 1884 and usurping lands that had been "grazed" by big cattle ranchers for many years before. More settlers came in 1885, 1886 and 1887. Among the men who were employed on the big ranches and later made filings on land were the late Perry BRAZIEL, Lem J. WYMAN, Walter BAKER, Kris KRONBERG, Harvey BEEBE, Pete VONBERG and many others. As an example Lem WYMAN rode for the old Bridle Bit company in 1882 but did not "take out" a homestead until in the early '90's.
When the "herd law" was enacted in 1887 it sounded the death knell of the big ranches. No more could the settler's crop be destroyed by the roaming herds of cattle. It was in 1886 that Alva COCHRAN, accompanied by his wife, four daughters and one son came to what is now Scotts Bluff County. The stock was foot sore, to they made camp on what is now the east end of Charlie KEARNEY's ranch, west of Morrill. They fell in love with this country, built a sod house around the tent they were living in and filed on the land. One of these girls, Mabel E. COCHRAN is now the wife of the writer H.J. WISNER.
There were the illiterate and the college graduates, but there is one thing more than the faith and stick-to-iveness they all had in common. None of them was really ignorant. Anyone who could travel across great distances in covered wagons, bringing their families, their household goods,, scant farming equipment, a few chickens in a crate tied to the wagon, perhaps with a milk cow tied to the rear end of the wagon and a dog trotting along underneath the wagon, who could pick out the quarter section they wanted to file upon, could plow the virgin sod lay up the walls, haul logs from the hills with which to make a roof and build a house that would not leak too bad, a man and a woman who were their own doctors and agricultural advisers; who were combination carpenters, surveyors, blacksmiths, school teachers; who promptly gave aid to neighbors in distress; who nursed the sick and made the coffins, and buried the dead, think of them as you may, but never think of them as ignorant.
The late Geo. W. FAIRFIELD, of Minatare, was Gov't surveyor and land locator. The A. W. MILLS family located on a homestead near Minatare. Mrs. Mary F. KINNEY, who later married Col. Dan JOHNSON and Mrs. S. W. RIPLEY (Anna JOHNSON) were the first women to make filings the same year and were the first women to do so in what is now Winter Creek precinct. Lora M. SIRPLESS, pioneer school teacher from Illinois was the first woman to "take a claim" in the Castle Rock neighborhood. Georgia ARBUCKLE FIX who was something of a novelty, a woman doctor, made her land filing in 1886 in the Minatare area. A good doctor, kindly, sympathetic, courageous, she continued to "practice" many years.
Dr. E. B. LONQUEST of Bayard was the first doctor there. His and Mrs. LONQUEST's fare was supplemented by quantities of dried fruits sent to them each year by relatives in Wisconsin.
Lewis S. DORMAN, a rugged Methodist minister built the first frame church in the Valley at Bayard. The first schoolhouse on Ave. A, without legal authority, except for the need, was built, the board of education issued warrants which were cashed by J.A. ORR, a pioneer of this city. The Rev. J.B. (continued)
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 113 Winter 1978
B-Source "Scottsbluff & The North Platte Valley"
CURRENS, a Presbyterian Sunday School missionary, and the Rev. E. H. SAYRE, pastor of the Presbyterian church in Gering, gave the spiritual lift for the success and growth of the small building to be erected.
Andy MCCLENAHAN, homesteaded the land upon which the original townsite of Scottsbluff is located. He sold to the Lincoln Land Company, a subsidiary of the Burlington, and they actually platted the land. John EMERY, built and operated the first hotel; C. H. SIMMONS, the first postmaster; Z. T. WESTERVELT, publisher of the "Republican", Scottsbluff's first newspaper; Geo. W. KING, pioneer money loaner and for a brief time a lumber dealer; J.H. CASSELMAN, president and majority stockholder of the Irrigator's Bank, the first in Scottsbluff; the FILBERT brothers, Ola and Parvin, first to engage in the grocery business; Ernie MOON started the second paper, the "Herald." Silas KIRKHART built one of the first store buildings where the CARR & NEFF building now stands.
Geo. LUFT, who with Frank A. MCCREARY owned the first hardware store, L. L. RAYMOND and Fred A. WRIGHT, first attorneys, the SHUMWAY boys, Grant and Alson played an important part in the formation of Scottsbluff. Frank A. MCCREARY, first mayor, and Winfield EVANS early building contractor. J.M. CARR, Pres. of CARR & NEFF Lumber Co. In partnership, with Warren NEFF he opened for business 8 Apr 1900.
Those who lived in that long ago day, so well loved and remembered, our ranks have become pitifully few. Men whose feet were once so quick and firm; such stalwart, straight and true men are now so thin and feeble; they have taken up another hole in their belts again; the faces once so smooth are now so lined and furrowed. They have played their parts In a great human drama.
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 113 Winter 1978
(Butler County, NE)
St. Luke's United Methodist Church, David City, Butler Co. On 11 Jun 1871 Rev. David MARQUETTE, pastor at Schuyler, all of Butler and Colfax Co., conducted service for homesteaders at the unfinished home of Captain A. F. COON a few miles south of David City. Charter members: Mr. & Mrs. J.C. WUNDERKUCH, Mr. & Mrs. Simeon PARSONS, Mr. & Mrs. A.J. STAFFORD, Jr, and Mrs. Joe DANNELS, Mr. & Mrs. W.E. GARLOW, Captain A.F. COON.
First Congregation Church in David City was organized 24 May 1878. Early members: Samuel PORTER, Lucinda LUCAS, Mary A. JONES, Tabitha WOOD, Anna BUNTING Judity PORTER, Clara HILL, Emily SMITH, Elizabeth MAURY, J.V. WOOD, C. S. LUCAS, Rachel CORNUE, Morris JONES and Elfred SMITH.
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in David City was formed Tuesday 2 Oct 1883 by O. W. STROUD, James BAGLEY, Joseph STEVENS and George L. BROWN in David City. Services were held in homes and buildings with A. K. WRIGHT as pastor. In 1893 Rev. Andrew HARMON served as pastor and baptised converts in a pond east of David City. Benjamin Ogle PERKINS gave money for the construction of a church, which was completed in 1898.
Redeemer Lutheran Church of David City began as a Mission Church in Jun 1840 and was formed by Emil BRUNKEN, Walter POOLE, Otto HARENBERG, Walter NAUNBERG and William HAST.
St. Mary's cemetery was created on 21 Oct 1879 by Magnus LITTY and Anna LITTY, his wife, of Richardson County to establish the first Catholic graveyard for the David City, Butler County, community.
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 114 Winter 1978
A-Source "A History of Cherry County"
Copied by: Mrs. Ann Maxfield, Kearney, Ne
CATTLEMEN OF CHERRY COUNTY
The headquarters of ranches during the open range days were always located on a stream or lake, those operating in Cherry Co. were as follows: From west to east on the Niobrara River, the E.S. NEWMAN Outfit, carrying the brand of N had the home ranch on the north side of the river near the mouth of Antelope Creek, not far from the Lavaca Bridge. Two of the cowboys who worked on this ranch during the winter of 1879 were Charles and Bob FORD, who later killed the famous Jesse JAMES. Down the river twenty miles from the N Ranch, was the ranch of CARPENTER and MOORHEAD, having an apple as a brand, and called the Apple Outfit. Their headquarters were located at the Boiling Springs on the north side of the river. J.H. QUIGLEY was foreman of this ranch in 1883, the ranch is now owned by the QUIGLEY family of Valentine. Next down the river was the J. P. PORE ranch with JP as their brand and known as the PORE Ranch. Down the river from the PORE Ranch was the XX Ranch, located near the MCCANN Canyon, and D.J. MCCANN was the owner. It was on this ranch that James WILLIAMSON was working when he was killed by Indians. Felix JAMES also worked on the MCCANN Ranch. Down the river at the mouth of Gordon Creek was the Ox Yoke Ranch, Mr. CREIGHTON was the owner. The next ranch was at the mouth of the Minnechaduza Creek, known as the Peter SHARP Ranch, brand unknown.
Six miles east of the Peter SHARP Ranch, at the Berry Bridge, was the KOONTZE Yates & Co; their brand being a hat, and was called the Hat Outfit. Continuing down the river, at the mouth of Seven Creeks, was a small ranch owned by DREXEL Brothers, brand unknown. South of the Niobrara River in the central portion of the country, were the following ranches: the figure 4 Ranch, with headquarters on the Snake River, near the head of the stream. The WATTS Ranch, headquarters on Boardman Creek, near its mouth, and camps on Watts and Bull Lakes. Their brand was the running W. Watts Lake was named after Mr. WATTS.
The following well known citizens of the Co. worked as cowboys during the open range days: John ENLOW, Ed T. ROSS, N.S. ROWLEY, Bill ERICKSON, Ed RICHARDS, J.H. QUIGLEY, Dan ADAMSON, Pete ROUSCH, Charles LARSEN, Harper CLEVELAND, Larkin CLEVELAND, Charles SHERMAN, Charles STRICKLAND, R.F. GILLESPIE and L.J. JAEGER, also know as Billie the Bear.
All of these men, with the exception of Charles SHERMAN and L. J. JAEGER took up homesteads and engaged in the livestock business, establishing ranches of their own. Mr. SHERMAN became deputy sheriff of the county and was a popular livery man in Valentine. L.J. JAEGER became lost in a blizzard, and suffered the loss of his hands and feet from being frozen. He later became clerk of the Federal Court in Chadron, Ne.
Badger CLARKE wrote a prayer on a cattle drive in the Valley of the Cheyenne.
Because land included in Cherry Co. joined the Rosebud Indian Reservation on the south one of the US forts was established on 22 Apr 1880 on the Niobrara River four miles east of the present city of Valentine. Named Ft. Niobrara and the first officer in charge was Major John J. UPHAM who was then in command of troops B, D, and F of the Fifth Cavalry and Co B of the Ninth Infantry.
God asks no man whether he will accept life. That is not the choice. One must take it. The only choice is how.
--- Henry Ward Beecher
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 115 Winter 1978
A-Submitted by Mrs. Margie Sobotka, Omaha Ne
CEMETERY 1 MILE SOUTH OF ELYRIA, VALLEY COUNTYSORENSEN, Sorine age 4 m 5 d Soren age 6 m Marie age 1 m 7 d Peter R. no dates Father Nels 3 m 15 d Sorn no dates Mother Margarete M 1854 - 1889 Mother Thomas 14 Dec 1852 9 Nov 1915 Gertrud M his wife 8 Sep 1861 16 Sep 1908 TULLY, 3 stones bearing initials M.E.T., R.T., J.J.T. Frank A. 1882 - 1950 Myrtice Marcena 1900 - 1933 Harlan Jay 1880 - 1937 Bernice T. WEAVER 1900 - 1976 Ray 1888 - 1889 Eddy Farlo 1894 - 1951 Maude Estelle 1876 - 1892 Cecil Clare 1878 - no date John Jackson 1843 - 1903 Father Edith T. FIALA 1891 - 1976 Irena Harlan 1855 - 1930 Mother Otto FISCHER b. 2 Nov 1832 d. 28 Oct 1891 ANDERSON, O.A. b. 29 Nov 1879 d. 14 Nov 1912 Ila P. dau of A.A. & J. b. 9 Feb 1903 d. 12 Jan 1904 age 11 m 3 d Annie M. dau of L.R. & L.E. d. 21 May 1893 aged 8 y 8 m 21 d small stone initials A.M.A. Anne M Huster u af K CHRISTENSEN b. 10 Sep 1868 d. 20 Oct 1903 Inscription "Our Boys" - Andrew b. 27 Apr 1899 d. 14 Apr 1905 Floyd b. 18 Feb 1902 d. 13 May 1902 ADAMS, A.S. b. 18 Sep 1832 small stone nearby E.M. Carthima wife of Alexander S. b. 8 Mar 1837 d. 28 Oct 1901 Hattia A. dau of A.S. & Carthima d. 14 Feb 1898 age 26 y MORRIS, Freddie E. son of E. & E.J. b. 16 Feb 1895 d. 16 Mar 1897 Eli 26 Jul 1864 15 Aug 1911 Father Samuel Eli 28 Feb 1889 30 Apr 1976 LOWER, Infant son of J.H. & J.K. 16 Sep 1910 17 Sep 1910 CIEMNY, Floyd son of Joseph & Nellie b. 21 May 1908 d. 6 Nov 1909 DODGE, Angie A. dau of E. & S.A. d. 22 Aug 1898 aged 7 y 19 d ADAMSON, Johnie S. son of J.W. & S.A. b. 27 May 1881 d. 3 Feb 1887 SARGENT, Minerva J. wife of C.F. b. 28 Aug 1864 d. 27 Mar 1904 Mother JENSEN, Lovise hustru of J.B. b. 30 Mar 1873 d. 15 Mar 1904 MILLER, Christena b. 20 Feb 1863 d. 18 Feb 1909 BARNARD, Infant son of Mr. & Mrs. W.H. d. 28 Sep 1902 aged 1 m 7 d SHEPARD, Sarah M. 1845 - 1880 Melville 1880 Olive A. 1877 - 1882 Minetta E. 1875 - 1882 Emma L. 1869 - 1958 FOGT, Grant U.S. b. 23 Nov 1884 d. 30 Aug 1909 Vancouver, B.C. Dorthea wife of J.J. b. 17 Oct 1842 d. 11 Jan 1904 John J. b. 2 Apr 1844 d. 20 Jun 1920 Emma E. b. 23 Apr 1882 d. 20 May 1898 children of J.J. & D. Theodore M. b. 2 May 1879 d. 20 Jul 1880 SMIDT, Jeppe d. 21 Mar 1900 age 59 y 4 m Anna d. 13 Nov 1881 aged 33 y Johannes d. 11 Aug 1882 age 5 y Laurids d. 17 Aug 1882 ag 3 y Signe d. 6 Dec 1882 age 9 m
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 116 Winter 1978
A-Source "Prairie Pioneers of Box Butte County" (1970)
Copied by Mrs. Jean Rima, Shelton Ne
BOX BUTTE CITY, BOX BUTTE COUNTY
This village was probably the first started in what is now Box Butte County, as it was nearest to the railroad at Hay Springs. It was located 16 miles north and 2 miles east of Alliance, now 2 miles east of the Sixteen Mile Corner. The first mail carrier to this place rode horseback to the Mirage post office, 12 miles northeast in Sheridan Co. Mail came to Mirage from Hay Springs, then the end of the railroad, in 1886.
For all settlers coming from Valentine, and later from Hay Springs,,Box Butte City was an overnight stopping place on their way to the south and west. It was a stage station between Hay Springs and Nonpareil, and later Grand Lake.
During the 20 years of its existence, two general stores, two blacksmith shops, a druggist, a locator and real estate man, and a dressmaker and milliner were in business. The first hotel was in a tent, and the second in a frame building. The post office was in a sod house. The large, frame store building was the last to disappear; it was used as a school house until Dec 1911, then sold to Oswald KITTLEMAN.
The first post office was in the sod home of J.M. MCBRIDE, the postmaster. Other post masters were Barrant VAN NEST, and John WILSON.
James BYRNE was the stage driver on 12 Jan 1888, the time of the big blizzard. Joseph MANION and sons carried the mail between Marple P.O. and Alliance for 7 years, serving Box Butte P.O. enroute. Around 1910 the last mail carriers were Patrick and William KINSLEY bringing the mail from Hemingford. When autos came into use the post offices were eliminated and a rural route established from Alliance.
Other business in Box Butte City were: restaurant, Mr. & Mrs. MCCOWAN; locator, real estate & hotel, Frank SNEDEKER; blacksmith, Henry HOFFMAN; hotel, William BISSELL; general store, MCMATH; dressmaking & millinery, Miss ENDERLY; grocery, J.W. MCBRIDE.
A sod church was built a little west of the village. Homesteaders on Sec 17-27-47 were Benton MCBRIDE; Sec 8 John O'MARA; Sec 9 Martin SCHOCKER.
Business Directory of Box Butte in 1890-1891 lists: S.J. FRYETT, druggist; T. H. LEE, blacksmith; B.M. MCBRIDE, general merchandise & drugs; SPENCER & TRACY, general merchandise (three TRACYS listed: Arthur, Ed M & Mrs. M.J.); B. VAN NEST, postmaster, Justice & Notary.
NE Ancestree, Volume One, no 3, page 116 Winter 1978
Inscriptions on stones in a small burial plot located 1 m west & 1 m south, of Red Cloud, Webster County.MURPHY, James William 7 Apr 1871 - 12 Jan 1901 Paul Dewvine 11 Jun 1899 - 26 Mar 1900 MURPHY, Elizabeth d. 7 Feb 1897 age 22 y 1 m 14 d Julia d. 28 Dec 1989? age 14 y 3 m 17 d Sarah C. d. 1 Sep 1896 age 54 y I m 3 d James d. 11 Sep 1897 age 59 y 2 m 18 d
A small stone located about 30 feet west of the others has the inscription of "LaVelle" no other lettering.
A good Father is a little bit of a mother. -- Lee Salk
** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **
Return to TOC for Volume 1, Nebraska Ancestree
©2000, 2001 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project by permission of NSGS