Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

NSGS Ancestree

Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals
NEBRASKA ANCESTREE

Volume Four, no. 3
Winter 1982

PURPOSE OF THE QUARTERLY: To educate and instruct by the collection, preservation, publication and distribution of Nebraska records of a genealogical value. To encourage accuracy and careful documentation of materials submitted for publication.

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

OFFICERS:

President Mr. Gene Bang

Vice-President

Mrs. Gloria Smethers

Secretary

Mrs. Elaine Batenhorst

Treasurer

Mrs. Lucile Bates

Publications Director

Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks


THE EXECUTIVE Board consists of the President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Publication Director and fifteen elected Area Delegates-at-Large.

THE NEBRASKA ANCESTREE STAFF

Editor

Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks

Query Editor

Mrs. Lesta Westmore

Indexer

Mrs. Barbara Dripps

Circulation


Cover Design

Mrs. Wilma Shull


THE NEW BRASS KEY STAFF

Editor

Mrs. Ruth Short,

Query Editor

Mrs. Lesta Westmore

Circulation  

The Quarterly, NEBRASKA ANCESTREE, is published summer, fall, winter and spring. The Newsletter, THE NEW BRASS KEY, is published six times per year. Subscriptions begin with the summer issue of the Quarterly and with the May/June issue of the newsletter. -
Send all material for NEBRASKA ANCESTREE TO: Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks, 6703 Holdrege St, Lincoln, NE 68505 Sand all material for THE NEW BRASS KEY to Mrs. Ruth Short, 2125 Bradfield Dr., Lincoln, NE 68502

The Nebraska State Genealogical Society reserves the right to edit or reject and assumes no responsibility for errors in the contributed material.

Reprinting of the material appearing in NEBRASKA ANCESTREE (quarterly) publication of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society is strictly forbidden unless permission, in each instance and for each volume, has been given in writing by the Publications Director and/or the Executive Board of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society.

Membership, Renewal, and Change of Address Notification of Change of Address must be sent at least 6 weeks in advance, or the Society must charge $1.00 to cover resulting re-mailing costs. Send Change of Address, Memberships and Renewals to Mr. Ray Billesbach, 925 N. Hewett Ave. Hastings, NE. 68901

Fiscal Year is from May 1 through April 30.

CONTENTS

(See TOC for entire volume)


STATE CHAIRMAN

Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. Hortense Wilkinson

Finance

Mrs. Lucile Bates

Librarian

Mrs. Cora Esch

Legislative Affairs

Mrs. Virginia Foster

Membership

Mr. Ray Billesbach

Publicity & Public Relations

Mrs. Virginia Foster

Research & Correlating

NSGS Staff, Box 62, Fremont, NE 68025

Publishing

Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks

Lineage & Surname

Mrs. Florence Schmitt

Workshop Co-ordinators:      West

Mrs. Alyce Taylor

East

NSGS Staff

Family Recognition

Mrs. Beth Haring



FOR SALE

We have for sale back issues of The NEBRASKA ANCESTREE (quarterly) and the newsletter THE NEW BRASS KEY. The following counties are featured in the quarterly.

etc. See Vol. 4 issue no. 1

ii



NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Winter 1982

Page 77

Volume IV, No. 3

From Warner's HISTORY OF DAKOTA COUNTY, NEBRASKA. pub. 1893

HISTORY OF DAKOTA COUNTY

Dakota County was organized by an act of the first territorial legislature, March 7, 1855. This was in response to a petition presented January 22, 1855, signed by J.D.M. CROCKWELL and thirty-one others.

By a treaty made with the Omaha Indians and proclaimed June 21, 1854, all their lands west of the Missouri river except the Omaha Reservation, was ceded to the United States. This opened up the land that was to become Dakota county for settlement. Before this date some early pioneers crossed the Missouri to look the land over. Among whom were: John B. ARTEAUX, June 6, 1851; Thos. L. GRIFFEY, in the fall of 1851; Gustave PECANT in 1852; Wm. H. JAMES, Leonard BATES and Wm. L. MADDEN in 1853.

Among the early settlers in 1855 were: Henry REAM, who came 15 May 1855; Adam BENNER and Charles ROULEAUX. Father Jermiah TRECY and his brother, John J. TRECY came from Dubuque, Iowa, 25 June 1855. They selected land where the colony of Irish from Dubuque, Iowa settled old St. Johns.

On 1 July 1855 George T. WOODS staked the first claim. Later Jacob H. HALLOCK, George T. WOODS Charles RONLEAUX, Ray HARVEY, John SAMUELS, John BAY and Robert G. ALEXANDER located claims. A few days later came Chauncey A. HORR. On August 19, 1855 Jesse WIGLE, Spencer MOORE, Robert and William PILGRIM and others came to Dakota county. Mr. WIGLE was the first white man to settle here with his family. Others who came in 1855 were: Harlon BAIRD, Abraham HIRSCH, Benjamin HICKS, Moses KREPS, Joseph BRANNAN, Squire DUTTON, William B. TAYLOR, Henry YOUNG, Gustave PECAUT and George L. BOALS. .

EARLY TOWN OF DAKOTA COUNTY:

Omadi was situated on the west bank of the Missouri River about five miles south of Dakota City, on a claim taken by Charles ROULEAUX. First settlers were Geo. T. WOODS, Chauncey A. HORR, and Moses KREPS who built a saw mill. A. H. BAKER and Jacob H. HALLOCK soon joined them. Others were Wm. CHENEY, Benjamin HICKS, John GALLAGHER, Robert ALEXANDER. Charles ROULEAUX erected the second cabin and John BAY put together a long store building. In 1856 William C. McBEATH opened up a store, Stephen DRAPER brought in a steam saw mill. A frame school was built and later moved to just north of Thomas SMITH'S place. Abraham HIRSCH opened up the first hotel in 1856 and Henry REAM soon had another hotel. Miss PUTMAN of Sioux City taught the first school in Omadi, starting in April 1857. Maria PARSONS and Julia NASH were the next teachers. Dr. C. W. WILKINSON taught school in 1858 in what was Wm. CHENEY'S old log barn which was later moved to Dakota City by C. F. ELKHART. Among the pupils were Charles FORD, Michael KENNELLY, Marcellus and Charles REAM and Mary REAM, who married W. C. McBEATH.

The first city officials in 1858 were: M. C. WILKINSON, Wm. D. SMITH, Wm. CHENEY, Wm. E. McBEATH, J. B. DICKEY, Geo. T. WOODS, G. W. BURKS and S. G. COCHRAN, Elected in 1859 were: John TAFFE, Geo. W. WILLIAMSON, A. H. BAKER, Alexander FORD, Wm. C. McBEATH, S. G. COCHRAN, M. KENNELLY, Henry REAM, F. R. NASH and Domonic BEILINSKI. Omadi post office was established in 1857 with Henry REAM as postmaster. Others were: A. H. BAKER: Asa RATHBUN, J. W. DAVIS, Charles H. POTTER. The office was discontinued in 1872.

LOGAN--Situated on the Missouri river. Surveyed in June 1856 by Samuel F. Watts. Early settlers were: Horace DUTTON, John PIERCE, Samuel WHITEHORN, Leonard BATES, James WESTCOTT, Jesse F. WARNER, Harry LYONS, W. W. MARSH, Robert CARNIHAN, James SSHLEY (sic), C. McFALL (founder of the town) John JOYCE, Charles T. PARKER, D. B. DODSON, Caleb LEG, Wm. CARNIHAN, John THOMAS, Daniel and Frank VIRDEN and Alfred ELAM. Two stores were kept by Harry LYONS and Wm. CARNIHAN. James ASHLEY had a blacksmith shop and Dr. M. SAVILLE was the physician. The first school teacher was Ottie MARSH. Among the pupils were: Nellie WARNER, Mary WILLIS, Alice RUSH, Jane Garner , William RUSH and James WILLIS. By 1860 the town was deserteed (sic), partly eroded by the Missouri River.

ST. JOHNS--also known as St. Patrick's colony. It was also located on the Missouri river, plotted by John J. TRECY in June 1856. One (sic) June 2, 1856 a Catholic colony from near Dubuque, Iowa arrived, consisting of some 60 people. Some selected claims in St. Johns and Summit townships. Father Jeremiah TRECY was in charge. Some members were: The parents of Father TRECEY and his widowed sister, Mrs. COYLE, Daniel DUGGAN, James KELLEHAN, George PORTISS, Michale McKIVERGAN, James JONES, Michael McCormick, Charles BOYLE, John, James, Patrick and Nicholas


NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Winter 1982

Page 78

Volume IV, No. 3

History of Dakota County, Ne, continued


RYAN, William HOGAN, Simon MAGEN, Patrick TWOHIG, Arthur SHORT, John TRECY and Edward JONES. All but the last four having families. Thomas CIJRREN and Joseph BRANNAN had the first stores. Doctors were Dr. ENRIGHT and Dr. MATTHEWS. In 1857 a school was built and the first teacher was Rosana CLARK, which was the second school in the county.

First election of which there are any record was held Feb. 15, 1858 at the house of John J. TRECY. First officers elected were John J. TRECY, Gerald DILLON, Cornelius O'CONNOR, Arthur SHORT, Thomas CURREN, John WILLIAMSON and Duncan McDONALD.

PACIFIC CITY--was surveyed Oct. 18, 1856 by G.W.F. SHERMAN. Incorporated by Alonzo NOSES, John HOLLMAN and Andrew M. HUNT. The town was about where South Sioux City is now. First trustees were: H.C. TIFFEY, J. F. SANBORN, D. P. KENT, Charles KENT and Samuel A. AYRES.

FRANKLIN CITY--about two miles north of Dakota City. Incorporated June 7, 1858 with the following trustees: Alanson BAKER, Nathaniel WATTS, Henry HENNINGS, John HOPE and Eugene L. WILBUR. The founders of the town were Joseph T. TURNER and John FEENAN. Never had a single house, but lots were sold.

VERONA--Founded by Joseph KERR and W. D. ROBERTS. Was located opposite the mouth of the Floyd River below Covington, incorported Nov. 20, 1858 with the following trustees: Joseph KERR, Ellis W. WALL, W. D. ROBERTS, W. COBB and R.R. HASKING. This town never contained any houses.

RANDOLPH--Was a post office until 1877 and was about four miles southwest of Homer and named in honor of its first mail carrier, Jasper RANDOLPH. The Post Office was kept at the house of Wm. I. COVELL, who was its only postmaster.

LODI--This was a post office located at Oak's Mill, two miles north of Homer and its postmasters were: Sam. A. COMBS, John OAK and John BRIDENBAUGH. In 1875 it was discontinued.

EMMETT:--A post office in the northern part of the county, was discontinued in 1873.

BLYBURG, see below

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Submitted by: Mrs. Georgene MORRIS SONES, Omaha, NE

HISTORY OF BLYBURG from a Dakota County Scrapbook #1 at the NE State Historical Society. Printed in the Homer Star, 17 July 1913, from a speech by S.A. COMBS, 4 July 1913, an old Dakota County settler.

Blyburg was located 20 Sept 1856 by Col. PLEYEL in the southeast corner of Dakota county near the Winnebago reservation. Settlers first came into the County in 1855 and there has been steady growth ever since.      Early settlers:

Geo. T. WOODS

Thos. & Wm. CLAPP

Moses KREPS

Jessie WIGLE

Dr. WILKINSON

Wm. HOLSWORTR

Gideon WARNER

Tim WIGLE

Abraham HIRSCH

Wm. NIXON

Henry REAM

James ALLAWAY, Sr.

Asa RATHBURN

Joseph HARRIS

Thomas ASHFORD, Sr.

Uncle Tom SMIEH

Col. Jessy F. WARNER

A.H. BAKER

Chas. H. POTTER

W. C. McBREATH

Capt. O'CONNOR

Wm. CHEENEY

M.S. MANSFIELD

Col. BAIRD

S. A. COMBS came to Dakota Co. 10 Aug. 1868. Was employed by Clark PRESTON and WOOD to run the GRANT mill, 2 miles north of Homer. The mill sold to John OAKS in 1870.

Albert NASH now (1913) living near Thurston, ran a store 1 mile est of the mouth of Honey Creek.

John SMITH had a general store. W. HIGENBOTHAN and Pat McMOHON ran a store south of where the school house used to stand.

Wm. KING ran a little store near there.

Some queer names were given to place:

Pinch gut, north of the lake, was named by Dut LANE. Crows nest: Robbers roost: Reningers neck,


NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Winter 1982

Page 79

Volume IV, No. 3

HISTORY OF BLYBURG, continued

north of Jackson; Scoop town in South Dakota; Cook sockey, where I went to school: Corn Cob Ridge where our friend John BURKHEAD lives.  Milton BIGGS ran a store at Corn Cob Ridge for years
It was also where Uncle John SMITH & Sons ran a sawmill.
W. H. CLAPP was boss farmer in charge of building at Indian agency. The SMITHS founded Homer and sold out their holdings in Blyburg to Daniel DON, with with his son-in-law, Andrew FORBS, ran the mill.

East of where the RYDER ranch is now, lived a colony of people from Canada, the THOMPSONS, TUAMBLEYS, JENKINSONS, ORRS AND SHURTLEYS and several more.
Old man PARMETER ran a saw mill at least 3 miles from the main road going to Dakota City. Col. ORR had a mill south of that. Dominick BOLINSKY, a pole.
People that I knew 45 years ago that are not here today: The SMITH'S, PILGRIMS, SNYDERS, CURTIS, John CARWIN, Hales McDONAL, E.F. WHINERY, SMAPSONS, LANES, the old man ALLWYN and family, Wm. KING and wife, SHOOKS, JORDANS, Chester BATES.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Submitted by Jody K. Boyd, South Sioux City, NE & Jane A. Byerley

ABANDONED CEMETERIES of Dakota County, NE

EMERSON--Old German Cemetery

NAME

 

BIRTH

DEATH

LILLRELM,

Friedrich

3/17/1869

2/11/1901

31 y 10 m 24 dy

WILKE,

Anton L.

9/26/1842

2/24/1914

 

Catherina

8/27/1841

2/19/1898

 

STANDING,

Mary C.

5/6/1898

wife of C.E. 26 y 2 m 15 d

ISENBURG Plot

BLUME Plot

BIEDE,

Fred

3/7/1847

1/4/1904

 

Friedricka M.D.

1/28/1849

1/11/1897

 

BETCKE,

Roxie M.J.

1/27/1901

4 weeks 1 day Dau of A.J. & B.A.

DOXTAD,

Herman F.

12/26/1886

11/25/1918

 

JOPP,

Lund Mary Tochterion

2/8/1876

1/7/1885

 

Lund Minnie Tochterion

1/28/1878

12/31/1881

 

Lund Mary

1/7/1821

12/11/1881

 

Charles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

WOODS CEMETERY

WOODS,

Sarah

1831

1906

Robert

1829

1918

J.W.

no dates

Jacob

1/28/1871

1/18/1885

Joseph

3/28/1878

1/21/1885

Mabel

4/20/1892

6/3/1899

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

ROOST CEMETERY

ROOST,

Baby Boy

infant son of Herman & Bertha

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

DANISH CEMETERY on Melvin PETERSON farm

SMITH,

Carl

8/7/1894

10/30/1899

 

Anna

10/20/1862

2/2/1919

 

PETERSEN,

Mary Helge

11/3/1901

6/24/1903

 

SMITH,

Wolder

4/8/1908

9/27/1908

 

CHRISTIANSEN,

Frederick Johan

5/29/1830

2/14/1909

Born in Denmark

Maren Sophia

2/7/1836

2/23/1900

 

LIND,

Ella

1/15/1909

8/12/1910

 

DRAKE,

Abram

1/2/1811

12/6/1892

81 y 11 m 4 d

LARSON,

John

6/1/1907

52 y

CHRISTENSEN,

Waltorine

12/1/1873

5/10/1902

husband of C. M.

STEFFES,

George

1910-11

 

Delores

1930-30

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

SAND RIDGE CEMETERY

Property destroyed by encrochment by a farmer. He removed the stones and put them into a ditch and has put garbage on top. Farmer says one day he will remove the stones.


NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Winter 1982

Page 80

Volume IV, No. 3

Submitted by: Jody K. Boyd, South Sioux City, NE

GREEN VALLEY CEMETERY, Homer, Dakota County, NE

NAME

BIRTH

DEATH

MADSEN,

Mads C.

1884

1957

LARSEN,

Louis A.

1867

1945

Julie B.

1879

1953

NELSON,

Rasmus E.

10/20/1897

2/25/1978

son

Velhelmine

4/17/1854

1/5/1932

Max

11/13/1857

1/31/1922

JEPPESEN,

Louis M.

1891

1975

Marie C.

1893

LARSEN,

Arlo Conrad

1920

1924

Leo Robert

1917

1923

Agnes

1888

1965

Louie

1887

1964

NELSON,

Carolyn H.

1913

1923

Rasmus

6/29/1886

3/28/1963

Olga

6/6/1887

9/17/1975

JACOBSEN,

Hannah B.

1863

1947

Mother

Jacob

1867

1951

Father

HANSEN,

Albert E.

1886

1906

Marie

1850

1932

Mother

Mads

1852

1940

Father

Carl

1888

1955

Peter N.

1876

1968

Christian

1882

1972

Eiler M.

1890

1965

JACOBSEN,

George C.

11/27/1904

9/8/1912

son of Hannah & Jacob

HANSEN,

Edna S.

1903

1921

 

Kirsten

1861

1941

Hans C.

1860

1945

JENSEN,

Clara E.

1896

John C.

1892

1978

WILSON?,

Eunice D.

 

age 38 yr 10 m 4 d wife of Warren

stone vandalized

LARSON,

George

1890

1937

Father

OPPELT,

Gregory Hilton

4/19/1954

9/4/1954

HANSEN,

Martha A.

1890

1977

William

1884

1967

VET

no marker

LAKE,

Albert E.

5/12/1888

6/26/1909

HANSEN,

Carrie C.

1889

1975

Andrew

1856

1888

GEORGESEN,

Karen

1910

Elmer

1904

1978

OCHANDAR,

Anna B.

2/16/1863

8/2/1883

PRIEST,

Goldie O.

1894

1909

Edna C.

1890

1893

BUCKLAND,

Jennie

10-5/1865

9/15/1902

wife of Wm.

Wm

1863

1923

Lt Wm Harold

3/15/1889

11/26/1918

vet WW1 died during war

BARNES,

Anna E.

1880

1965

BLUMER,

Joseph

1878

1933

RASMUSSEN,

Eva L.

6/17/1876

3/2/1899

wife of Chris

Chris

1858

1934

Marie S.

1863

1939

GORGESEN,

Albert

8/24/1894

1/16/1964

Celia

11/6/1894

1/20/1967

RASMUSSEN,

Albert

1906

1961,

vet

Jimmy

1938

1941

JENSEN,

Karen S.

1874

1937

Jens P.

1870

1940

Oda L.

1/7/1910

10/19/1976


NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Winter 1982

Page 81

Volume IV, No. 3

Green Valley Cemetery, continued

NAME   BIRTH DEATH  

KEUCK,

Florence P.

1922

baby

AYERS,

Bertha P.

1897

1947

RASMUSSEN,

Louis

1863

1913

JENSEN,

Peggy Ann

1932

1962

Mother of Jan A., Peggy J., &

Karen A.,  D of Loren & Hariett

Washburn

CLAUSEN,

Angelica Dorthea

12/23/1841

1/1/1898

Alfred Virgo

1/1/1837

3/1/1898

NELSON,

Ove

7/14/1882

2/20/1907

WASHBURN,

Bill

8/16/1928

12/8/1965

Robert V.

5/16/1930

1/13/1971

Harriett N.

1900

1942

Loren O.

1896

1938

HOWARD,

Yvonne W.

1922

Earl

1907

1977

JENSEN,

Ada Gesine

4/1811909

5/1/1968

D. of John & Mary OTTEMAN. Mother

 

 

 

Hubert, Catherine, Gerlad, Joanne & Ernest

BARG,

Fred H.

1916

1969

PEDERSEN,

Charles W.

1916

1969

Roberta L.

1916

James C.

2/11/1890

3/11/1966

NE PFC Cas Det 900 Demob GP WI

FLAUGH,

Craig A.

5/28/1960?

5/20/1960?

RASMUSSEN,

Rodney M.

1944

1959

GORGENSEN,

Georgians

9/26/1868

11/24/1943

George

3/7/1962

3/22/1915

PEDERSEN,

Julie

1880

1962

Marinus

1881

1929

Velma J.

1930

1931

Robert C

1905

1976

MILLER,

Carrie C.

1893

1965

Chris

1881

1951

Marcus

1875

1977

Laura

1881

1979

Shannon Marcus

4/2/1978

10/14/1978

son of Randall & Patricia

Nancy Jean

11/25/1941

11/28/1941

D. of Christian & Selma

NELSON,

John

1890

Mary

1895

baby daughter

1/11/1924

MILLER,

Christine

2/9/1884

2/9/1919

BECK,

Rasmus P.

7/10/1877

7/31/1908

FREDERICKSEN,

Marie BECK

1879

1912

Elisa

12/15/1868

12/13/1964

Carl

no dates

ANDERSEN,

Carl

1857

1951

Martha K

1860

1937

LARSEN,

John C

5/4/1882

5/23/1951

Lena H.

1893

1930

Sophia _

1857

1899

Maurice H.

1890

1934

George

1851

1929

PEDERSEN,

Son

1892

1892

Mr & Mrs R.L. PEDERSEN

SORENSEN,

Sine

 

12/11/1900

59 y 5 m 21d, wife of Lars

Lars

6/6/1840

4/11/1926

86 y 10 m 1 d

GARNER,

Sena M.

1892

1924

 

Elaine

11/23/1925

12/15/1925

GARNER,

Lola V.

1921

1924

GORGENSEN,

Louis N

1891

1952

Bernice E.

1894

new grave

PEDERSEN,

Ramaus L.

1865

1905

Christine

1871

1962

continued on next page


Image


** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **

Return to TOC for Volume 4, Nebraska Ancestree

© 2004 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project