NSGS Ancestree

Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals
NEBRASKA ANCESTREE

Volume Four, no. 4
Spring 1982

PURPOSE OF THE QUARTERLY: To educate and instruct by the collection, preservation, publication and distribution of Nebraska records of a genealogical value. To encourage accuracy and careful documentation of materials submitted for publication.

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

OFFICERS:

 

President Mr. Gene Bang, Fremont, NE

Vice-President

Mrs. Gloria Smethers, Beatrice, NE

Secretary

Mrs. Elaine Batenhorst, Kearney, NE

Treasurer

Mrs. Lucile Bates, Cozad, NE

Publications Director

Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks, Lincoln, NE


THE EXECUTIVE Board consists of the President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Publication Director and fifteen elected Area Delegates-at-Large.

THE NEBRASKA ANCESTREE STAFF

Editor

Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks, Lincoln, NE

Query Editor

Mrs. Lesta Westmore, Omaha, NE

Indexer

Mrs. Barbara Dripps, Lincoln, NE


THE NEW BRASS KEY STAFF

Editor

Mrs. Ruth Short, Lincoln, NE

Query Editor

Mrs. Lesta Westmore

 

The Quarterly, NEBRASKA ANCESTREE, is published summer, fall, winter and spring.
The Newsletter, THE NEW BRASS KEY, is published six times per year.
Subscriptions begin with the summer issue of the Quarterly and with the May/June issue of the newsletter.


Send all material for NEBRASKA ANCESTREE TO: Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks...
Sand all material for THE NEW BRASS KEY to Mrs. Ruth Short...

The Nebraska State Genealogical Society reserves the right to edit or reject and assumes no responsibility for errors in the contributed material.

Reprinting of the material appearing in NEBRASKA ANCESTREE (quarterly) publication of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society is strictly forbidden unless permission, in each instance and for each volume, has been given in writing by the Publications Director and/or the Executive Board of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society.

 

Membership, Renewal, and Change of Address Notification of Change of Address must be sent at least 6 weeks in advance, or the Society must charge $1.00 to cover resulting re-mailing costs. Send Change of Address, Memberships and Renewals to Mr. Ray Billesbach,...

Fiscal Year is from May 1 through April 30.


 

TABLE OF CONTENTS for VOLUME 4 (all issues)


STATE CHAIRMAN

Corresponding Secretary

Mrs. Hortense Wilkinson, Fremont, NE

Finance

Mrs. Lucile Bates, Cozad, NE

Librarian

Mrs. Cora Esch, Spalding, NE

Legislative Affairs

Mrs. Virginia Foster, Alliance NE

Membership

Mr. Ray Billesbach, Hastings, NE

Publicity & Public Relations

Mrs. Virginia Foster

Research & Correlating

 

Publishing

Mrs. Ruth Anna Hicks, Lincoln, NE

Lineage & Surname

Mrs. Florence Schmitt, Lexington, NE

Workshop Co-ordinator

NSGS Staff, Box 62, Fremont, NE




FOR SALE

Please see Vol. 4 no. 1


NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 115

Volume IV, No. 4

Submitted by Mrs. Ruth Harms, Valentine NE

CHERRY CO. CEMETERIES

Shackelford Cemetery

About 1910 a cemetery was laid out on Wes SHACKELFORD's homestead.(Sec. 19, Twn. 27 Rng. 38). Gene FRY, who had had some surveying experience, surveyed the lots out and he was the first one buried there. His grave is the one on the northeast. There are at least 9 persons buried there. They are Gene FRY, a RIDGEWAY girl, a Jim MARTIN girl, a woman who lived north-east of Martindale Post Office, Guy JONES' grandmother, Johnnie SNYDER, his father, Joe SNYDER and Ora KING's new born twins. The cemetery is on the OLO summer range at the extreme north. As far as I know, there is no marking and the fence has been taken down .... Archie CHURCH.

North County Cemeteries

Graves on ranches north of Hyannis as listed in Grant County Library Cemetery Records: On the Leo Egan Ranch, Sec. 7 Twn. 25, Rng. 39 Mrs. SWEENEY; On Sec. 32, Twn. 25. Rng. 39 Almond CASTLE born 12-16-1834, died 11-6-1910, father of Frank CASTLE; On the Plummer Ranch, now known as the Dumbell two GODFREY children buried near the site of present buildings; Brennemann Ranch, graves on the Old Farrell Ranch-children of Jim FARRELL, Olive FARRELL 1890-1896 and Owen FARRELL 1894-1896.

Old Mason Cemetery

Also known as Stansbie--Perrett Cemetery, located 14 miles north of Ashby on the Leo EGAN Ranch. Graves listed by name and not as to location in cemetery. Roberta WILSON 2-9-1891; Edithe BUCK 1-9-1895, age 1 mo. 24 days, daughter of Henry and Illa David BUCK. Mrs. Buck, a sister of A. T. DAVIS; unknown grave; WILSON, perished in a blizzard near the cemetery and buried by early settlers; W. S. PERRETT 5-6-1831 - 5-6-1911; Maria PERRETT 6-16-1890, parents of F. L. PERRETT: Louisa E. NEAL 9-14-1867 - 7-2-1894 wife of F. L. PERRETT and mother of Walter PERRETT: An infant son and daughter Vivena 6-30-1894 - 8-14-1894, children of F. L. and Louisa E. PERRETT: An infant son, daughter Marian and son Freddy, children of F. L. and Maria Calahan PERRETT: James STANSBIE 8-11-1889, 60 years old; Minnie BAUGH Aug. 1889, 1 yr. 7 mo. 16 days; Harold BAUGH 2-22-1902, aged 3 weeks, 2 days. Children of Dan and Stansbie BAUGH; Nellie JOHNSON 9-29-1894, 1 yr. 10 mo. 24 days, daughter of Chet and Mary Stansbie JOHNSON: Jane STANSRIE 3-8-1901, 26 yr. 3 mo. 24 days; Several children of Will MASON; SIEGFRIED; Two girls 11 and 13 years old, parents John and Mary COOMBS.

GRANT CO. CEMETERIES

South County Cemeteries

Graves on ranches south of Hyannis as listed in Grant County Library Cemetery Records: Two children of Ancel & Carrie CONNER, buried on Vinton Ranch; An infant daughter of George and Lydia SWIGGART, buried on Vinton Ranch; MALIKOFF infant died 1912, location not listed; Child of Elaine WRIGHT, buried in Spring Valley on Owen WRIGHT's Timber Claim.

Spring Valley Cemetery

Located on the east side of Spring Valley Lake in a grove of trees is a little cemetery marked by two gravestones. Three children are buried there. This land, once owned by Ben WRIGHT and later owned by Merle and Opal (Ben's daughter) REX, is about 20 miles south and east of Hyannis. The first child that was buried there was Howard Wm. GREEN, the son of Ferris and Elaine GREEN. (Howard was a half-brother to Lyle WRIGHT) The stone on his grave reads: Our Loved One, Born July 29, 1923 - Died June 5, 1924. The second baby buried there was Geraldine REX, infant daughter of Merle and Opal REX, Engraved on her stone is: Our Little One, Born Sept. 28 1930 - Died Dec. 27, 1930. The last child to be buried there was the son of Jim and Jewel Latitner. This baby was still born and the date of burial is uncertain.

Ashby Cemetery

The oldest known graves in the Ashby Cemetery are Mary DUNKEL, 1915; and Anna M. DUNKEL, 1916, infant daughters of Ollie and John DUNKEL. The graves of BERNETT, 1910 and 1918, were moved to the BIXBY plot later.

In 1925 a group of Ashby citizens formed the Ashby Cemetery Board. It was filed for record with the County Clerk on June 29, 1926; it set forth - perpetual trusteeship, annual dues of $5.00, and holding annual meetings for reports.


 

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 116

Volume IV, No. 4

Grant Co. Cemeteries (continued)

      The original trustees were J. Y. CASTLE, S. A. FIELDS, Jas. L. OVERMAN, J. B. KERR and J. A. DUNKEL. C. W. KREAMER was County Clerk and deputy was Howard LICHTY who were to take care of the cemetery. In the late 1930s and 1940s the Ashby Women's Club cared for the graves. In 1969 the Ashby community gathered to clean, trim, mow, fix fence and remove the debris. In 1972 one of the original perpetual trustees, J. Y. CASTLE, came to visit on Labor Day. Known graves were identified and markers installed.

INDEX OF ASHBY CEMETERY

Plot

Name

Year of death

   

Plot

Name

Year of death

36

Hugh A. BAIRD

1925

37

Alice M. GOSHA

1918

17

John W. BARNES

1945

30-01

Joyce E. HEBBERT

1962

15

Maggie E. BARNES

1925

18

Infant son of Alta HINTON

1943

16

Wesley D. BARNES

1918

35a

Ellen E. JOHNSTON

1956

12

Lee BARR (WWI Vet)

1924

35b

James M. JOHNSTON

1935

25

James H. BERNETT

1918

34

Baby boy KERR

1927

23

Mary Eliza BERNETT

1910

33

Earl KERR

1937

24

Mary Jane BERNETT

1947

4

Karl KORTH

1930

22

William BERNETT

1922

27b

Phyliss KNUTH

1977

21b

Curt BIXBY

1954

26

Lula E. MERRILL

1919

21c

Orion P. BIXBY (Cremated)

1962

02

NELSON, Infant

1938

22b

O'Ryan C. BIXBY

1977

20

Mary NICE

1924

26b

Ima BIXBY

1969

I8b

Ralph M. MOORE

1921

13

June E. BLOOD

1923

18c

Infant HIBBLER

1921

19

August W. CARLSON

1943

09

Harry L. PAIGE

1977

21

CERVONNI (infant)

19__

02

Jack PATTERSON (WWII Vet)

1956

5

Max CHRISTENSEN

1942

32

John RENIK

1932

6

Melvin CHRISTENSEN

1930

3

Anna J. STEVENS

1937

27

Zella Mae CROUSE

1933

2

Infant STEVENS

1944

29a

Ella L. (Ollie) DUNKEL

1923

1

Lorentis J. STEVENS

1947

28b

Anna M. DUNKEL

1916

01

Margaret A. STEVENS

1952

29b

John DUNKEL

1960

28c

Andrew JESSEN

1979

28a

Mary M. DUNKEL

1915

13a

Infant dau. of Charlie

36

Elizabeth ELAM

1918

       & Mary GIBSON

-

8

Albert C. ELLENWOOD

1929

13b

JENNY, Infant

1925

7

Luella ELLENWOOD

1942

13c

Adeline E. JENNY

1925

9

Anna M. FIELDS

1928

30

Infant SHARP

1949

10a

Daisy B. FIELDS

1947

31

LEED's Infant

-

10b

Shelly A. FIELDS

1954

***********************************************************************************************

Submitted by Pat Downe, Rockville, Maryland

GRADUATES OF BROWNELL HALL, 1863-1914 - Douglas Co.

Alumnae

1868

1875

Helen HOYT (Mrs. Horace L. BURR)

Anna HAYDEN (Mrs. Ashbel PATTERSON)

Helen M. INGALLS (Mrs. Flemon DRAKE)

Carrie J. LAKE (Mrs. Jay MORTON)

1871

Caroline L. McNAMARA (Mrs. S. D. BARKALOW)

Nellie CLARKSON (Mrs. F. H. DAVIS)

1876

Ida Virginia CLEGG (Mrs. George TILDEN)

May CAMPBELL (Mrs. John C. CHADWICK)

Nellie FLINT

Meliora S. HALL (Mrs. T. L. RINGWALT)

1872

Jessie MASON (Mrs. Fred Harris)

Idalyn GWYER (Mrs. Willis YATES)

Ella WHITE (Mrs. George JONES)

1873

1877

Fanny M. CLARK (Mrs. Philip POTTER

Josie GOODALE (Mrs. W. T. PRICE)

Edith CLARK (Mrs. Allan FLEMING)

Mary A. TOWNSEND

Minnie R. WILSON

1880

1874

Carrie BENNETT (Mrs. F. H. WILSON)

Mellona M. BUTTERFIELD

May DUNDY (Mrs. E. W. LEE)


 

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 117

Volume IV, No. 4

Graduates of Brownell Hall (continued)

Alumnae

    1880 (cont.)

    1891

Margaret Z. MAXWELL

Amy Frances BARKER (Mrs. C. W. MARTIN)

Jean MORTON (Mrs. Joseph CUDAHY)

Edith BRANT (Mrs. John C. DREXEL)

Fannie WALL (Mrs. F. C. WAXELY)

Irene LABAGH (Mrs. Charles E. SMITH)

    1881

Mary LIONBERGER

Grace MASON (Mrs. Hiland WHEELER)

Mary E. SCOTT (Mrs. C. W. PIERCE)

Lettie M. WELCH

Carrie M. THOMAS (Mrs. Henry S. WOOLFENDER)

Henrietta WILSON (Mrs. Daniel BOUGHTON)

Estella THORPE (Mrs. Alfred Kneeland SMITH)

    1882

    1892

Mamie AMBROSE (Mrs. F. C. REVINIUS)

Pearl BARNES (Mrs. BOYLE)

Susan HAGER

Abba Willard BOWEN

Mary L. WAGGONER (Mrs. G. W. LOOMIS)

Jessie CONWAY

Florence WARE (Mrs. R. S. HALL)

Naomi EVERTS (Mrs. John W. TOWLE)

    1883

Madge MEANS (Mrs. TOLAND)

Caroline DINSMORE

Mary MURPHY (Mrs. A. L. CONKLIN)

Margaret WILSON

Hattie May ORCUTT (Mrs. BERRY)

    1884

Maud Anna PARSONS

Oslie M. K. ABBOTT

    1893

Jennie COOPER (Mrs. George L. WHITTIAM)

Edith ABBOTT

Lulu CREMER (Mrs. George GRISWOLD)

Ellen M. BAIRD (Mrs. Paul PATTON)

Fannie M. LATHAM (Mrs. Van BUSKIRK)

Edna ELMER

Anna J. THOMAS

Louise RHEEM

Anna WILSON (Mrs. J. D. McDONALD)

    1894

    1885

Sarah H. BOWEN (Mrs. C. H. YOUNG)

Hattie DREW (Mrs. Wm. TRUMAN)

Katherine D. COLLINS

Daisy M. REESE (Mrs. Charles SANFORD)

Anna COUCHMAN (Mrs. Henry ROBERTS)

Leila SHEARS (Mrs. Albert KOCH-ANDRIANNO)

Mary E. COUCHMAN (Mrs. ARNOLD)

    1886

Elizabeth McCRACKEN

Emma FRIED (Mrs. W. S. CHAMBERS)

    1895

Ada McBRIDE (Mrs. G. W. SELLERS)

Flora Jane BESLEY (Mrs. Roland SPENCER)

Ida WIGGENHORN (Mrs. W. Arthur MEYER)

Winifred M. CATTLE (Mrs. Byron R. NEWTON)

Florence YATES (Mrs. George VOSS)

Charlotte DIEBOLD (Mrs. Steven LANGWORTHY)

    1887

    1896

Florence AYERS (Mrs. George CARTER

Helen Morgan BURNHAM (Mrs. J. B. LEWIS)

Flora CASTELLAR (Mrs. George J. NASH

May Alice HETZEL (Mrs. Joseph V. DAVIS)

Mary GANDY (Mrs. A. T. TIMMERMAN)

Mary Isabel RICE (Mrs. Fred RADCLIFFE)

Elizabeth HALL (Mrs. Oscar FUNKE)

    1897

Alta May ROYCE (Mrs. George Cassells SMITH)

Lillian McCRACKEN

Cornelia THOMAS (Mrs. John HALL)

Alice NELSON

    1888

Edith SMITH (Mrs. Clarence Richmond DAY)

Bell BUCKWORTH (Mrs. Cal. DIAMOND)

    1901

Lucy BURGESS

Luree BEEMER

Leola C. CARTER (Mrs. Newton BARKALOW)

Laura CAMPBELL (Mrs. George W. LANDER)

Minnie COMFORT (Mrs. EDIE)

Verenice COCHRAN (Mrs. George W. EGAN)

Carlotte E. CRAWFORD

Hope HANCHETT

May CRAWFORD

Susie L. ROBB

Ethel DAVENPORT

Minnie STORZ (Mrs. Edgar A. HIGGINS)

    1889

    1902

Blance BUCKWORTH

Olga LAMHOFER (Mrs. George CHARTERS)

Louie B. ROE

    1903

    1890

Alice FRENCH (Mrs. Oliver CARPENTER)

Winifred BEASLEY

Elizabeth GOODELL

Kate E. DRAKE

    1904

Angeline HANSEN (Mrs. John L. NEBLE)

Helen DAVIS (Mrs. Walter ROBERTS)

Maude L. HAYWARD (Mrs. J. B. WATKINS)

Isabelle FRENCH (Mrs. George W. JOHNSTON)

Lulu LORINC (Mrs. A. D. ANNIS)

Gertrude GRAVES

Mamie RAINBOLT (Mrs. W. H. BUCHOLZ)

Katheryne G. McCLANAHAN

Jessie M. TISHUE (Mrs. Will LONGWORTHY)

Edith M. PATRICK (Mrs. Myles STANDISH)

Olive PATTERSON


 

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 118

Volume IV, No. 4

Graduates of Brownell Hall (continued)

Alumnae

    1904 (cont.)

    1908 (cont.)

Mabel PERRY (Mrs. Wm. MICKEL)

Pauline MILLS (Mrs. W. H. TEMPLE, Jr.)

Maud PERRY (Mrs. Howard BARNARD)

Mary MELLOR

Alice POTTER

Aurel MURTEY

Josephine ROCHE

Carrie PATRICK

    1905

Fanny PUTCAMP

Belle BRYANT

Annie ROGERS

Muriel CATTLE (Mrs. W. H. PACKARD)

Nettie WATTLES

Katherine Lee GRABLE

    1909

Katherine KILPATRICK

Eunice ARTHUR

Helen REMGAN (Mrs. Ralph SHEPHARDSON)

Louise BARNARD

Dorothy RINGWALT

Vera BENSON (Mrs. James LOVE)

Marcia WEBBER

Ethel BICKFORD

    1906

Elizabeth BRUCE

Carolyn BARKALOW

Margaret BUCKLEY

Bess BAUM (Mrs. John ROUSE)

Mary BUCKLEY

Margaret BRUCE

Maude BUTLER

Shirley CASTETTER

Mildred BUTLER

Florence CATTLE

Margaret DOUGLAS (Mrs. Edwin TURNER)

Gwendolyn CATTLE

Lela M. PARIS

Jean CUDAHY (Mrs. Frank WILHELM)

Dorothy HALL

Edith FISHER

Helen HALLER (Mrs. Wilfred ARNDT)

Annie C. FRY

Ruth HAMMER (Mrs. Harold PRITCHETT)

Elsie FUNKHOUSER

Ethel IRWIN

Mona KLOKE (Mrs. Louis CLARKE)

Helen KOEHLER

Ada OSTRANDER

Stella LOVE

Louise PECK (Mrs. D. BARKALOW)

Dora McGURK

Mary RICHARDSON

Evelyn V. PARK (Mrs. Guy C. CONGDON)

Letta ROHRBAUGH (Mrs. J. C. CHAPMAN)

Bernice STEWART (Mrs. George PORTER)

Ethel TAYLOR

Marguerite STOWITTS

Elizabeth WHITTMAN

Amy THOMAS (Mrs. DICKINSON)

Eleanor WILLIMAN

Jessie THOMAS

Louise YIELLS (Mrs. E. B. LEFFERTS)

Hattie WELLER

    1907

Irma WILLING

Charlotte FIKE

    1910

Alice FRY

Lois Majorie ALLEMAN (Mrs. Louis ATKINS)

Lela GALLOWAY

Katherine M. BEESON

Margaret GUTHRIE

Myrna M. BOYCE

Evangeline HOMAN

Mary Alice CARTER

Alice Cary McGREW (Mrs. Wilson AUSTIN)

Margaret T. CATTLE

Elizabeth McMILLAN

Mabel Irene CLARKE

Denna MELICK (Mrs. J. C. SWETZENBERG)

Frances P. DAMRON

Dorothy MORGAN (Mrs. Ralph PETERS)

Ida Rowena DARLOW

Gladys PETERS

Irma M. DOUGLAS

Elizabeth PICKENS

Janet Ellen HALL

Ruth RAINEY

Ethel K. HOLMQUIST

Alice L. TROXELL (Mrs. Cyrus BOWMAN)

Catherine F. THUMMEL

Gwendolyn WHITE

Helen Sylvig HUNTER

    1908

Ida Belle JONES (Mrs. Boyd BLAKEMAN)

Ethel ANDERSON

Violet Carl JOSLYN (Mrs. T. W. MAGOWAN)

Margaret BUSCH

Helen Marguerite MATTERS

Carnelita CHASE

Zoe MELLOR (Mrs Stanley HUFFMAN)

Perle EDDY

Evelyn Bess MILLER

Helen FORBES (Mrs. McPHERSON)

Stella MULLIGAN

Zoe FRIES

Daphne E. PETERS

Gladys GRAHAM (Mrs. Joseph BARIAN)

Hazel RUMSEY

Gladys IMPREY

Helen Edith SMITH

Grace JACKSON

Margaret SPARGO

Margaret KOEHLER

Estella Belle STEPHENS

Mary LANNING

Olga A. STORZ


 

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 119

Volume IV, No. 4

GRADUATES OF BROWNELL HALL, 1863--1914, DOUGLAS County, NE

Alumnae

    1911

    1913 (cont.)

Bessie Willifer CATTLE

Genevieve BROOKS

Nona Ruth COTTERMAN

Eva Gertrude HALL

Bertha DICKEY (Mrs. Blomfield BROWN

Alice Lucile JAQUITH

Catherine HUFFMAN

Trenna Marie CHAMBERLAIN

Perna JACKSON

Bess DICKINSON

Ava G. JOHNSON

Gertrude DRAPER

Helen Elaine LETT (Mrs. R.L. TODD)

Hannah Elizabeth FORBES

Mildred I. MILES

Fern Irene GILBERT

Alma Brooks SEYMOUR

Gladys Martin KINDRED

Ruth STREITZ

Charlotte Eva MELLOR

Ruth WALES

Marion Ruth TOWLE

Glenn WAY

Florence Ruth WALKER

    1912

    1914

Alice Lucile BACON

Ruth Allen BEECHER

Helen BLAKE

Elizabeth Hartwell DAVIDSON

Harriet COPLEY

Lydia Emma DAWSON

Halcyon COTTON

Helen Louise EASTMAN

Mary Alice DUVAL

Mary Etta HIGINBOTHAM

Margaret FUGITT

Ruth Leavitt HOWELL

Anne Millard GIFFORD

Jean Margaret HUNTER

Frances Eunice HOCHSTETLER

Dorothy Stockett KNITTLE

Stella Margaret HOLMQUIST

Frances NEBLE

Eleanor JOHNSON .

Dorothy SMITH

Eleanor MACKAY

Margery Violet SMITH

Pauline PAUL

Mildred Marion TODD

Margaret Louise SALLADIN

Naomi Everts TOWLE

Stella Louise THUMMEL

Helen Eugenie VAN DUSEN

    1913

Isabel VINSONHALER

Mabel Latham ALLEN

Eliza Belle YOUNG

Bishops
Rt. Rev. Joseph Curikshank TALBOT, D.D., 1860-1865 Founder
Rt. Rev. Robert Harper CLARKSON, D. C., 1865-1884
Rt. Rev. George WORTHINGTON, S.T.D., LL.D., 1885-1908
Rt. Rev. Arthur Liewellyn WILLIAMS, S.T.D., 1908

Heads of School

Rev. O.C. DAKE, Rector, 1863

Mrs. Louise R. UPTON, Principal,1898-1901

Rev. Isaac HAGAR, Rector, 1864

Miss Euphan Washington MACRAE, Principal,

Rev. Samuel HERMANN, Rector, 1864-1869

1901-1909

Miss Elizabeth BUTTERFIELD, Principa, 1869-1871

Miss Edith Dearborn MARSDEN, Principal,

Mrs. P.C. HALL, Principal, 1871-1876

1909-1911

Rev. Robert DOHERTY, Chaplain, 1874-1876

Miss Euphemia JOHNSON, Principal, 1911-

     Rector, 1876-1897

***********************************************************************************************


NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 120

Volume IV, No. 4

Submitted by Mrs. Belva Malchow Walker , Houston, TX

The following article appeared in the West Point Republican on June 24, 1937. It was written by Miss Norma Kuester, now Mrs. Hugo Malchow of Wisner, NE. She was then a school teacher in District 4 where the old mill was located.

ROCK CREEK MILL - Cuming Co.

Rock Creek Mill, or Lambrecht's Mill, which was located northwest of the present site of Beemer, was once a popular community and business center; in fact, in pioneer times, a center that bid fair to become the site of a city of more than passing importance.

It was built in 1865 and furnished with machinery and other equipment brought from Council Bluffs, Iowa. Grain was brought to it from far and near some of it hauled from the Platte river valley some 200 miles, to be ground into flour.

It was a combined saw and grist mill and it continued in constant use on its original site for over 20 years. It was run by water power, which was secured by a dam in Rock Creek. This dam was a cause for constant concern during periods of high water in the spring. It was no uncommon thing for all the neighbors to be called in to rebuild the dam after a time of flood water. It was made of brush and dirt.

Nothing remains of the original mill. A stump or two mark the site, but give no hint of its former grandeur and importance in a land of most primitive means of handicraft and every day work.

In 1886 it was replaced by the mill, which is pictured with this story. This building was used for the milling business until 1891. In the picture the elderly man standing on the platform is August LAMBRECHT, owner and builder of the Rock Creek Mill. The other people in the picture are now unknown. The mill faced south and the creek goes through to the north of the building.

In 1891 Beemer had become accepted as the central town of the county and the center of business activity for the secion (sic) and the mill was then moved into it. Mr. and Mrs. LAMBRECHT retired to Beemer, which was their home the remainder of their lives.

Mr. and Mrs. LAMBRECHT grew up in Germany and were married there in 1846. They came to America in 1854 and lived in Watertown, Wisc. for nine years before coming to Nebr. and settling on Rock Creek in 1863.

Mr. and Mrs. LAMBRECHT came overland with ox teams and they homesteaded on the farm on Rock Creek in Elkhorn township. Their capital on arriving here consisted of $75 in cash. The family lived in a dugout for a year, taking possession of that comfortable but lowly structure March 4, 1864. The first meal served Mr. LAMBRECHT in the new earthen residence was shared with six Indians who continued friendly with their host all through his business career.

***********************************************************************************************

Submitted by Vivian Travis, Dix, NE
Source: Banner County News, Harrisburg, NE, Thursday June 7, 1934

PLEASANT HILL CEMETERY

One of the pioneer cemeteries of Banner County, the Pleasant Hill cemetery at Hull (also called the Hull Cemetery), is rich in pioneer history. The following account of some of the burials in that cemetery is from an article in a recent Nebraska History magazine, written by Mrs. J. A. GEORGE of Lyman, Ne. The Nebraska History magazine is a publication of the Nebraska State Historical Society.

The cemetery at Hull, known as the Pleasant Hill cemetery, was laid out 1888 by T. D. DEUTSCH and Alex BOOKWALTER, a civil engineer from Kimball. The first person buried there was Mrs. Alfred CALDERWOOD. About 1895 the G.A.R. Post at Hull decided they would like to honor their comrades lying in unknown graves. As times were hard then as now, a monument was out of the question, but nothing daunted the pioneers. A mound of sod about 4 feet in diameter and 3 feet in height was made, decorated with wild flowers in honor of the unknown soldiers. A year or two later a monument of inch boards, painted white with black lettering was made by the members of the post. This served until the spring of 1933 when contributions by the many people interested made it possible to erect a monument of Georgis marble 5 feet high, of regular size and width, gray in color, smooth on the front and rough on 3 sides, bearing the


 

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 121

Volume IV, No. 4

Pleasant Hill Cemetery (continued)

following inscriptions: "To our unknown soldiers of all wars; united in glory, re-united by death, 'tis the duty of soldiers, 'tis the fate of the brave"

The following Civil War Union soldiers are buried in Pleasant Hill cemetery: Orange J. BAILEY, George WIECK, John WILSON, A. M. STODDARD, John H. SLINGBAUM, Levi B. SPEAR, Simon RITCHIE, 16th Ill. Vol. Inf. with Sherman. J. S. RICE who was one of the pioneer storekeepers at Dorrington, a P,O. long since discontinued. Clark B. WHIPPLE, Postmaster at Dorrington. George ADCOCK, who when he was discharged in 1865 from Army came to this section and was one of the early cowboys. Hiram AMMERMAN who died shortly after family arrived here in 1886 and was first buried on his homestead but was the 2nd person buried in cemetery. Dr. David C. TREMAIN who was the pioneer doctor of this section and with his saddle bags and white horse brought relief from suffering in many homes of the early settlers. He was a man of noble Christian character and always ready to go where duty called, regardless of the weather. He continued to practice until death called 1906. A loading station on branch line of U.P. is named for him. Warren SALISBURY who was Color Bearer in the Army was at the Decoration Day services. He was also one of the early mail carriers, at one time carrying the mail from Harrisburg to Gering vis Dorrington, Hull, Granger, Mingo and Mitchell, changing horses enroute. Later he carried mail enroute from Alliance to Gering and on his last route from Harrisburg to Hull. Moses W. LOOP was the 2nd Postmaster at Hull, and James FOREMAN. This completes the list of Veterans buried at Pleasant Hill.

The following are some of the early settlers: D. L. LaGRANGE a brother to men whom the town of LaGrange, Wyo. was named. Catherine KESSLER, wife of John KESSLER of LaGrange. Mr. Kessler is one of the earliest settlers of this section. MR NICHOLAS lost his life trying to help fight a prairie fire which swept the area in Spring 1888. The following women were members of W.R.C. at Hull: Martha SALISBURY, Martha BAILEY, Esther WHIPPLE, Sadie SPEAR, Susan RITCHIE, Cordelia LOOP, Hettie FOREMAN. I cannot give these women a record of any sort except to say they were always ready to help in times of sickness or distress, in fact taking the place of nurses, always ready to lend a hand where and when needed. I have merely dipped lightly into the lives of those who are sleeping on Pleasant Hill. I only wish I might tell the stories of self-sacrifice and loving deeds committed by them, and their will to carry on through tragedies and the comedies of their lives. It seems as though many times the former came oftenest. But they forgot the tragedies and laughed at the comedies.

Banner County News, Harrisburg, NE, Thursday March 18, 1937

LONE PINE NEWS

It is now 51 years ago since the first permanent settler located on this end of the divide. It was James Henry McLATCHEY who located on a homestead and tree claim on the N 1/2 Sec 6-17-53 in the spring of 1886. According to his own statement he was born and raised in Nova Scotia. When he was a young man he went to sea and became a sailor, but how long he was before the mast I cannot remember him saying. However, he lived at different places until he finally drifted to this breezy country and engaged in farming and stockraising like the rest of us. At first he lived with his family in a cave, but as soon as he possibly could, built a substantial log house as there was quite a lot of pine logs here in the hills those days, although it was a lot of hard work to cut them and get them home and trim in proper shape for the buildings. A year or so after Mr. McLATCHEY came here Charles TROWBRIDGE and his mother came here and located on the S 1/2 of the same section. A few years afterwards they sold their homesteads to McLLATCHEY so he became the owner of the whole section. Mrs. TROWBRIDGE also had a tree claim in Sec 12-17-54, now owned by J. G. JOHNSON who lives in the same section. In Dec. 1890 Mrs. McLATCHEY passed away shortly after giving birth to twin boys who were named Roy and Ray. She was buried on top of the hill just south of our school house, but about 10 or 11 years later, on Xmas day, the remains were dug up and re-interred in the Lone Pine cemetery. Mr. McLATCHEY was left with 8 children, all at home except his oldest daughter, Ida, who was teaching school. The others in order as near as I can remember are: Annie, Maud, Mabel, Alice, Walter, Roy, and Ray. The twins were taken care of temporarily by Mrs. McLATCREY'S sister who lived at Lexington, NE and was here during the last days Mrs. McLATCHEY lived. A year or two later Mr. McLATCHEY remarried a widow, Mrs. Ella PORTER, who taught school here one term and who proved herself a splendid stepmother to this brood of children. Later she became the mother to 3 children of her own while the family lived here: Florence, May and James. Early in the spring of 1900 McLATCHEY'S house burnt down, but most of the contents were saved. The


 

NEBRASKA STATE GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY

Spring 1982

Page 122

Volume IV, No. 4

Lone Pine News (continued)

same year or following Mr. McLATCHEY with his family and household goods and some of his livestock moved to Alabama; and his son-in-law, Newton HOGUEWOOD, who married Annie, leased and worked the farm a year or two. By the way, John FADEN married Mrs. McLATCHEY's sister, Clara VANVLEET; and Byron VANVLEET, their brother, married Mr. McLATCHEY's oldest daughter, Ida. These two families went to Arkansas and located, but if they are still there or not I do not know. Mr. McLATCHEY traded off his farm here to one Mr. TURNER of Aurora, Ill., who in turn sold it to C. W. JOHNSON who's estate is still the owner.

After living in Alabama a couple of years or so, Mr. McLATCHEY moved to Woonsocket, S.D. where he and his sons engaged in farming and stockraising. Also owning a ranch in Montana where his son Walter lives, the last I heard. Ray, one of the twins, was killed from the effect of a kick of a horse. Roy was here on a visit a few years ago which I mentioned at the time. Mr. McLATCHEY passed away a number of years ago as was mentioned in these columns, but if Mrs. McLATCHEY is still alive I do not know. Where the balance of the family are located at the present time I do not know. While the family was still living here, Maud passed away at Lexington in the early 90s. I was told that another son was born to the McLATCHEY's shortly after they moved to Alabama, but did not learn his name. This ends my reminiscence of the first homesteader in this neighborhood.

Banner County News, Harrisburg, NE, Thursday December 19 1946

OUT OF OLD NEBRASKA

by James C. Olson

As the Union Pacific pushed across the plains it became necessary to place Forts along the way to protect the construction crews from the Indians, who opposed the invasion of their hunting grounds by the iron horse with all their power. By 1867 the rails had reached into the Nebraska Panhandle, and in December of that year--just 79 years ago this month--the Army established Sidney Barracks at the site of the present town of Sidney, seat of Chayenne (sic) County.

Fort Sidney, as it came to be called, was never a large post, and its history is somewhat overshadowed by the development of Sidney itself, which during the 70's had the reputation of being one of the wildest towns in the wild and wooly west. Indeed, the story goes that at one time there was so much shooting on the streets that the Union Pacific ran its trains through the town without stopping.

Buildings were not constructed at the post until almost 2 years after its establishment, and Sidney Barracks was never a fort in the technical sense of the word. It appears primarily to have been a distribution point for troops and supplies. Some of the troops who had taken part in the Powder River expedition were sent there, and for a time, Major Frank NORTH and his Pawnee Scouts camped near the post. While Major NORTH was there, his old friend, Buffalo BILL occasionally came over from his home in North Platte to hunt jackrabbits. Bill apparently was quite a favorite with the troops.

Fort Sidney was quite a garden spot, largely as the result of an early experience in irrigation. The officer who located the post had dammed Lodge Pole Creek and conveyed the water to the area in an open ditch, which flowed in front of each house, the barracks, and the stables. Trees were planted along the streets, giving the fort the appearance of a park.

There appears to have been a difference of opinion as to the influence of the soldiers upon life in the town of Sidney. The Buffalo County Sun at Kearney once quoted the Omaha Bee as saying that when pay day cane the soldiers, "usually carmined the town," frequently waging battles with the freighters in which bloodshed was not unusual.

A rare old pamphlet, put out at one time by the Chayenne County Real Estate Association gives an altogether different view; "The post, with its fine buildings, dense shade trees, gentlemanly officers, and well-kept grounds, upon which daily concerts are given by the Military Band, make it a delightful addition to the town."

In any event, it is apparent that not all of the soldier's time was taken up fighting Indians. It is not clear from the records available just when the troops abandoned the fort, but for a number of years after their departure it was kept in excellent condition. Finally, in 1899, when the Burlington joined the Union Pacific at Sidney, the buildings were auctioned off, and the parade ground was cut into streets.

*********************************************************************************************


Image


** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **

Return to TOC for Volume 4, Nebraska Ancestree

© 2004 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project