Search billions of records on

NSGS Ancestree
Nebraska State Genealogical Society Journals
Volume X, no. 1- Summer 1987

Vol X, no 1 page 4 - Summer 1987


Salem, Richardson County, Nebraska - Thursday, August 9th 1923 Vol.2 No.34

Salem Local: Old Settlers Picnic at Dawson August Fifteenth and Sixteenth


Mr. and Mrs. Dr. MEDLAR spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Albert GOLL of this city. Ben STALDER shipped a car of well-fatted hogs to St. Joe market Wednesday evening. Paul PARRISH and wife returned home Thursday evening from a business trip to Omaha. George KOONS has been shelling a large quantity of corn which he delivered to the elevator. Mrs. Oscar OAKES who has been visiting with her people at Hebron returned home Wednesday. Benford KELLY of Braddyville, Iowa is visiting with his sister and brother Ed SHAFFER and Mr. Hugh J. KELLY. Bob SAILOR has recently purchased a new Chevrolet roadster in which he is taking much enjoyment. Zenobia CORN of Verdon has been visiting Friday and Saturday with Miss Mary GOLL and other friends and relatives. Mr. and Mrs. C. L. SIMMONS and Mr. and Mrs. John DAVIS were Sunday guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. G. RANGER.

The Camp Fire Girls expect to take a three days camping trip to Sunny Springs the coming week. They will be accompanied by Miss Faye WICKHAM. John GETTERS is enjoying a visit this week from a nephew from the west who has not been here for a number of years but who formerly lived here. H. Glen CURTIS departed Tuesday morning for Omaha and points in Iowa and northern Missouri where he will look after the sale of his potato crop. A. MULDER of Chenny arrived here Tuesday to take the third trick at this place. He is a man of most pleasing appearance and we trust he will receive a hearty welcome here. George JENNINGS has returned to his work at the Bank of Salem after his vacation. George says that he really likes to work rather than loaf and was glad to get back to work again.

Mr. and Mrs. J. F. GATES returned home Sunday evening from Omaha where they had been for a week where Irwin had been taking a special course in battery and electrical work. Mr. SCHEELY the second trick man at the depot who has been wearing his panama hat while on duty had the hard luck the other night to lose it under the wheels of a fast moving train which took a number of bites out of his perfectly good lid. WINDLE Bros. had a car of hogs to St. Joe Wednesday evening.

Doings of the Stork
Two homes in this vicinity was visited this past week by that legend bird the stork and two homes made happy by the leaving of a fine baby at each home. Dr. G. M. MCARDLE and wife are the proud parents of a girl born early Friday. Talk about your proud parents and Doctor surely has the lead for he has told his friends that "It's a girl" so many times that is has become almost second nature to him. Austin THORNBURG and wife rejoice over the arrival of a fine baby boy at their home Friday and mother and baby are getting along fine.

Vol X, no 1 pages 4-5 - Summer 1987


Vol. 50, Number 111

Mr. LYFORD is giving a free picture show, matinee Monday, April 23---Arbor Day--at the Electric Theatre. The film is an exposition of the milk industry and is very interesting and educational. Read the advertisement which tells you how to get the free tickets.

C. F. BUCHHOLZ, L. H. WELLS and A. R. KEIM were south of Rulo yesterday looking at the high water in the Missouri River.

Born -- To Mr. and Mrs. Arthur MCCRAY of Baker, Kan., Saturday, April 14, a daughter. Mr. MCCRAY is the son of Wm. J. MCCRAY of this city.

Clarence HECK took an auto load of baseball fans to St. Joseph, MO., today to be present at the opening of the ball season in that city.

Myrtle WILL, Leta BRANUM and Thelma WINDLE are advocates for peace with Germany as they have had enough of the "Dutch" measles.

Mr. and Mrs. George SHIELDS spent $50 yesterday in buying clothing for the young girl in destitute circumstances that they took into their family and gave a home.

Obituary -- Joseph Thomas MARCUM was born May 22, 1852 in Andrew County, MO., and died April 17, 1917 in Richardson County, Nebr. He was married in Brown County, Kansas to Mary A. BAYLESS February 21, 1888. After he was married he lived in Horton, Kan., for awhile and then moved to Nebraska, in which state he lived until his decease. While a youth he was converted in Doniphan county, Kan., and joined the Cumberland Presbyterians. After moving to Rulo, Nebr., and the Holiness church was organized, he became a charter member of the same, and has lived a consistent Christian life all the years of the past. He was a great sufferer, and very patient withal, during his sufferings he exercised great faith in the Lord's Christ. He leaves an aged father, three sisters and two brothers, besides his wife, who mourns his loss, especially the wife who has watched over him during his long illness and death. Funeral was preached by Elder S. S. ORR, assisted by Elder ADAMS of Bigelow, MO. Interment was made at Rulo Cemetery.

Rev. D. C. TROXEL went to Unadilla, Nebr., where he spoke Wednesday night at the second district convention of Sunday schools.

SOCIAL EVENTS --Sunshine Club-- The Sunshine Club were guests of Mrs. Cloe ERWIN at her home Wednesday afternoon. There was a large membership present and the ladies busied themselves with Kensington work. Instrumental selections were given by Miss Julia FREDERICK and she also accompanied Mrs. George HALL, who gave several delightful vocal selections. At 4:30 the hostess served a two-course luncheon, assisted by her mother, Mrs. George PRATER. The club adjourned to meet in two weeks with Mrs. George HALL, Mrs. Irvin BEAGLE, Mrs. Fred BEASLEY, and Mrs. B. J. HOLT of Sedalia, MO., were guests of the club.

Vol X, no 1 page 5 - Summer 1987

Obituary of John Griffiths

John D. GRIFFITHS was born March 12, 1842, at Carmarthenshire, South Wales; and departed this life May 31, 1932, at his home in Verdon, Nebraska at the age of 90 years, 2 months and 19 days. Mr. Griffiths came to the United States at the age of 10. He was a veteran of the Civil War, having enlisted in Company "C" 31st Wisconsin Volunteers, October 9, 1862, and served to the close of the war. He was with Sherman on the march to the sea. He first settled at Dodgeville, Wisconsin, upon coming to America. April 6, 1872, he was united in marriage to Jenette WILLIAMS. To this union the following children were born: David W. of Verdon; John A. and Thomas H. of San Diego; and Mrs. Alice G. DAVIES of Portland, Oregon. His first wife died October 6, 1879. October 15, 1882, he was married to Mary Alice WILLIAMS, a sister of his former wife. To this union the following children were born: Jesse A. of Twin Falls, Idaho; Dan J. of Walla Walla, Washington; Mrs. Inez M. SMITH and Willard GRIFFITHS of Verdon. The second wife died August 7, 1923.

Besides the children, he is survived by 16 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren. He was the last surviving member of his own immediate family, three sisters and one brother having preceded him in death. Mr. GRIFFITHS came to Nebraska in 1870, and settled on a farm 2 1/2 miles southwest of Verdon, where he lived for nearly 40 years. He retired in 1910 and moved to Verdon. He united with the Congregational church by letter in 1872, and was elected deacon in May 1879, and served in that capacity for 45 years, when he was made Deacon Emeritus. Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Congregational church. Rev. S. H. JONES of Falls City officiating. Burial was in Verdon cemetery. Taps were sounded at the grave by SIMPSON Brothers of Falls City. Among the out of town relatives at the funeral were D. G. JONES and daughter, Mrs. John CHANDLEY, of Kansas City, Kansas; H. W. GRIFFITHS and son of Fostoria, Kansas; Dr. and Mrs. D. G. GRIFFITHS of Lincoln. Mr. and Mrs. A. B. RITCHIE, Mr. and Mrs. C. T. HIGGINS and Mrs. Elizabeth WILLIAMS were also present. Mr. GRIFFITHS was an uncle of Mrs. RITCHIE and Mrs. HIGGINS.

Vol X, no 1 pages 6-8 - Summer 1987
Submitted by Velma Cooper, Decatur, Burt County, Nebraska



EUREKA #1                     4        A       Eureka Daykin 
EUREKA #1                     11       B       St. John Lutheran 
WASHINGTON #2                 5        A       Swan Creek Humphrey 
WASHINGTON #2                 10       B       Immanuel Lutheran 
WASHINGTON #2                 14       C       Pleasant Hill Pleasant View 
GIBSON #3                     13       A       Megli-Yost Boeckner 
GIBSON #3                     25       B       Emanuel Evangelical 
GIBSON #3                     28       C       Peace Lutheran 
PLYMOUTH #4                   14       A       Immanuel Lutheran 
PLYMOUTH #4                   17       B       St. Paul's Lutheran 
PLYMOUTH #4                   21       C       Woodlawn-Plymouth 
PLYMOUTH #4                   24       D       Friendship Kilpatrick 
MERIDIAN #5                   12       A       Helvey Pleasant Hill 
MERIDIAN #5                   14       B       Powell Keeney-Knispel 
MERIDIAN #5                   19       C       Meridian 
MERIDIAN #5                   19       D       German Presbyterian 
MERIDIAN #5                   25       E       Moles Prairie 
RICHLAND #6                   1        A       Bower 
RICHLAND #6                   21-27    B       Winlow Plot - unnamed plot 
RICHLAND #6                   22       C       Richland Center 
CUB CREEK #7                  10       A       St. Paul United Church of Christ Cub Creek Cemetery 
CUB CREEK #7                  14       B       Hildebrandt 
CUB CREEK #7                  25       C       Thiessen 
CUB CREEK #7                  25       D       Jansen Family Plot 
CUB CREEK #7                  28       E       Jansen 
CUB CREEK #7                  31       F       Grandy The Grove 
CUB CREEK #7                  32       G       Bartel 
JEFFERSON #8                  6        A       Old Plymouth Cemetery 
JEFFERSON #8                  8        B       Zion Lutheran 
JEFFERSON #8                  27       C       Harbine Cemetery 
JEFFERSON #8                  35       D       Hope United Church of Christ 
LINCOLN #9                    2        A       Zion United Church of Christ 
LINCOLN #9                    6        B       Grace Lutheran - Trinity Lutheran 
LINCOLN #9                    12       C       Pleasant Hill 
FAIRBURY #10                  24       A       Fairbury City Cemetery 
ROCK CREEK #11                23               Rock Creek Cemetery - no record 
PLEASANT #12                  13       A       Diller Prairie Home 
BUCKLEY #13                   4        A       Hunt Family Plot 
BUCKLEY #13 In Thayer County  7        B       Rose Creek Reynolds 
BUCKLEY #13 In Thayer County  15       C       Unnamed Cemetery 
ANTELOPE #14                  18       A       Silver Creek 
ENDICOTT #15                  30       A       Rose Hill - Old Fortner 
NEWTON #16                    17       A       Steele City Cemetery 

The following information was included with Mrs. Rosella Cline's transcriptions: About 50 people buried at Little Sandy Station. About 50 people buried at Rock Creek Station. About 50 people buried at Big Sandy Station.


Dan Patterson 1859-1860


James Conway & his wife


Also 50 Mormons buried in 1850 in a flat area in the Rock walled area.


The Government built the first kiln in Jefferson County in 1848, in Section 29, Richland Township. Soldiers were stationed here at a fort to burn the lime, about 150. About twenty (20) soldiers and civilians are buried here. The Southeast Nebraska Genealogical Society appreciate the work done by Mrs. Rosella Cline in transcribing these cemeteries and sharing her work with us.

We also appreciate our member Marvin Robertson's donation of a small plat book that helped in the preparation of this index.

Gloria Smethers, SENGS Cemetery Co-ordinator dated: 5 October 1986

Vol X, no 1 pages 10-12 - Summer 1987


Submitted by Velma Cooper, Decatur, Burt Co., Nebraska

Pioneer families had to know a great deal about taking care of the sick, because they might be many miles from any trained medical help. It is an exercise of our imagination for us today to picture the isolation of people who travelled by foot, on horseback or by team and wagon to traverse trails or simple dirt roads. There was no such thing as the instant communication provided by a telephone. In order to get any help from outside that dwelling place, someone had to GO to wherever there were other people.

In those early days, home care of the sick or injured, as well as the births of many babies, was done in very limited situations. Even in 1885, the homes of our pioneers, though better than the cabin of the first settlers, were limited in space and furnishings. Heat was provided by stoves fueled mostly with wood -- in Burt County, Nebraska, there were wooded areas, especially along the Missouri River. (We are imagining how Burt County pioneers were prepared to cope with health problems.) Lighting, at its best, was provided by kerosene lamps; water supply was obtained from hand-dug well or a spring. Buckets of water were carried to the house. Toilets, at best, consisted of outdoor privies. The belongings in those homes was varied; some homes only contained basic necessities, while others had furnishings and supplies which enabled more comfortable living.

Reading old books of medical advice results in some understanding ofmedical problems faced by our great-grandparents. In Encyclopedia For the Home, published in 1902, almost fifty years after settlements started in Burt County, there is a chapter entitled "Health." It begins with advice to be prepared for emergencies by having a drawer or box stocked with the following items: Camphor, Vaseline, Painkiller, Soothing ointment, Arnica, Cotton batting, Court plaster, Lime and sweet oil for burns, Made mustard plaster, Bandages (cut and rolled, of different widths), Bits of old linen, and a pair of sharp scissors. "Such conveniences may save life, and will save a great deal of confusion and fright." One was also advised to have a couple of flannel bags filled with hops, ready for use.

This recipe for salve was also given: "GOLDEN SALVE -- 1 pint of linseed oil, 3/4 pound of rosin, 3/4 pound of bees-wax. Melt thoroughly and turn in tin boxes. One of the best salves known for burns, scalds, or any injury for which a salve is needed." Imagine what it would be like to face every kind of illness or injury with only these items! Or less than that! The Encyclopedia For the Home gave instructions for preparing medicines from various plant materials. An earlier book, The People's Common Sense MEDICAL ADVISER in Plain English, by R. V. Pierce, M. D., published in 1886, was a source of the kind of information then available to people. The book advertised Dr. Pierce's patent medicines and his "Invalids' Hotel," but it also told how to prepare and use home remedies. Specific parts (leaves, bark, roots, flowers, or stems) of specific plants were bolied in water, steeped in water, or steeped in whiskey to prepare medicines to relieve specific illnesses. Our pioneers would also have had their own knowledge of home remedies --knowledge that had been either handed down from generation to generation or learned from experience and observation.

Those who knew herbal lore must have gathered the necessary kinds of plant materials when they found it growing, in order to have a supply when it was needed. After all, green leaves, flowers, and tender stems are available only during spring and summer. In the one-hundred year old book written by Dr. Pierce, local anesthesia is described as intense cold produced by the use of ice and salt, or by a spray of ether or another substance called "rhigolene" on the affected part. There is no discussion of a general anesthetic. Another indication of the limited amount of medical knowledge in those times is the fact that Dr. Pierce did not mention the word "germ". The only indication that he was aware of something like germs was his boast that urine samples were examined under a microscope, not just with the naked eye, as most doctors did.

Our pioneer ancestors battled diseases and treated injuries with mostly home remedies and home care. Descriptions of those diseases were found in Dr. Pierce's book, in the 1961 World Book Encyclopedia, and in Fishbein's Illustrated Medical and Health Encyclopedia published in 1981. Prayers, fortitude, and courage must have accompanied the tending of loved ones and friends who suffered some of these diseases. In those days, immunization -- except for a crude vaccination for smallpox -- had yet to be developed, so some of the diseases those people knew are relatively unknown to us today. There were no miracle drugs or antibiotics to aid in combating infections and illnesses. A person who had a wound might develop dangerous infection; it was also possible for him to have lockjaw (tetanus), a dreaded disease of terrible muscle spasms, which could result in the death of 9 out of 10 patients, if untreated. Today, immunization of tetanus is commonly done.

Diptheria is a dread disease usually occurred during the fall and winter. A grayish membrane formed in the throat, and could extend across the roof of the mouth and to the nose. There were fever, chills, sore throat, vomiting, and a foul odor of the breath. Delirium, stupor, and coma happened for those who were quite ill. Three to six weeks were needed for treatment. The toxins can damage heart, lungs, kidneys, or nervous system. Even today, if modern treatment does not start in the first five days, 25% of patients die. Diptheria is uncommon today in our country, because of immunization. Antibiotics are effective in treating it. In 1886, they did not know the exact cause of the disease. The bacteria usually lived in the human throat, and were spread from person to person by coughs and sneezes or by handling contaminated objects. Human "carriers" could spread the bacteria, but not show any signs of having diptheria.

Scarlet fever is infection of the throat or tonsils by a streptococcus bacteria. It was a very serious disease itself, and could be followed by rheumatic fever or kidney damage. In only a few days after exposure, a person could become ill, and the very red rash started to appear on the second day of the illness. Headache, fever, and sore throat symptoms were followed by thirst, no appetite, vomiting, and delirium. The worst of the illness lasted about one week. Smallpox, caused by a very durable virus, was one of the most contagious of known diseases. In severe epidemics, 30% of the persons who contracted the disease would die. The patient would be quite sick with fever, chills, vomiting and pain in the limbs and back; the pox (large eruptions like very large pimples or boils) appeared on the third day, and took five days to develop from red or purple spots to boil-like places, with matter in them. The smallpox victim might have separate pox, or, in the worst cases, the vesicle (pox) might be continuous on the skin surface. The skin had a sickening smell. The pustules started to dry on about the twelfth to the fourteenth day of the illness. The smallpox victim gave off masses of the virus with every breath, also in the scabs and scales. The virus could live a year at room temperature and was resistant to disinfectants (except boiling water or hot steam). World-wide immunization has almost ended its existence, which is fortunate, because drugs are ineffective in treating the disease. Complications of smallpox included infections of skin, ears, lungs and heart.

Whooping cough was highly contagious, and could easily result in death, especially for children under one year of age. The terrible coughing spells and vomiting were difficult enough, but the large amounts of mucous were a threat too. In Dr. Pierce's book, the diseases known as cholera infantum (summer complaint), diarrhea, dysentery, and cholera morbus were discussed. All were diseases of the digestive tract, and all were serious. Cholera infantum could cause death in a matter of hours. Its other name, "summer complaint", was used , because it occurred in warm weather. Dr. Pierce advised using laudanum or aregoric for different ages of patients. These medicines were made from opium. Today we know that both were addictive. Cholera bacteria thrive in body wastes, so sanitation is important in preventing its spread. The victim of cholera became ill in only two to five days after encountering the bacteria. In 3-12 hours diarrhea, vomiting, and muscle cramps occurred. Dehydration was rapid. In about 24 hours, the victim might collapse and appear near death. Later he might start to recover.

In measles, the fever and rash made people sick enough, but one of its added dangers was the danger of serious complications later, after the fever and the rash were gone. Typhoid fever and typhus are two completely different diseases. Typhus involved headache, constipation, pink spots on the front of the delirium. Fevers remained high for for ten days to two weeks. Serious complications could occur. Today we know that typhus rickettsia are transmitted by lice (especially body lice), fleas, ticks, mites and people. Unsanitary, crowded conditions are favorable for typhus. During an epidemic, death occurred in one of four people who had the disease. Some people recover from typhus, but harbor the live germs in their bodies. Years later, those germs can cause another attack of typhus. This meant that immigrants who had typhus in their native country, could have typhus again, years after coming to this country.

Typhoid fever caused high fevers, ulceration of the intestines, with vomiting and diarrhea. Typhoid fever is caused by salmonella typhi, a micro-organsim which lives and grows in the waste materials from human bodies; there can also be human carriers of the disease. Flood waters, untreated sewage, or other untreated human wastes could be a source of the bacilli. In this disease, the healing of the intestinal ulcers and hemorrhages began in the fourth week of the illness. Typhoid fever was a very debilitating disease, and could result in severe complications. For these very serious diseases, the advice was a description of home care, with an admonition to get a doctor. For our pioneer ancestors, getting a doctor was often difficult -- or completely impossible.

The doctor was very limited in what he knew -- since the understanding of germs and viruses had yet to come; the home care, and possibly some extra potion, were about all he could give. In 1886, they did have an early , very tough on the patient, kind of vaccination for smallpox. They knew it would work, but did not yet understand why it worked. Childbirth was a completely different sort of health problem, but since it involved home care, it should be discussed too. Large families were very common in those days. Many of these births were attended by midwives. When delving into the early history of a rural neighborhood, researchers usually learn the name of at least one local woman who went to neighboring homes to help with births. That same woman might also be asked to help care for the injured or the ill, because of her skill.

The skills of the midwife who had no medical education and/or skills of a country doctor were not enough in many cases. Tombstones in the old cemeteries bear silent testimony to the fact that many newborn babies only had a very brief life, and facts recorded on the stones tell of mothers who did not survive very long after the births of their babies. Things went well enough if there was no kind of problem at all, but there was heartbreakingly little that could be done about complication which occurred before, during, or after the birth. Next time you are reading inscriptions from tombstones and thinking of how many sad parents had lost tiny children and how many people died before reaching even the age of forty --just offer a prayer of thanks that medical care has made such great advances since 1854. And --remember that much bravery has been shown in settings that were anything but adventurous!

Vol X, no 1 page 12 - Summer 1987

Submitted by Velma Cooper, Decatur, Burt Co., Nebraska

Have you been searching for Chapin and Campbell family records? These were in old Bibles which were sold at auction.

Jamy Campbell and Isabel Campbell -- Dec. 18, 1783
Josiah Chapin and Sarah Chapin -- April 9, 1770
Harvey Chapin and Dolly Campbell Chapin -- Feb. 17, 1809
Almon Chapin and Lucina Sturdevant Chapin -- Dec. 24, 1833
Harvey Chapin and Deborah Fenton Chapin -- Jan. 1837
Josiah Chapin -- June 27, 1750 .......death July 3, 1823
Sarah Chapin -- April 9, 1753 ...... death Dec. 15, 1816
Rebecca (Chapin) Clark -- April 9, 1772 .....death Jan. 2, 1851
Jemima (Chapin) Thompson -- July 18, 1774 .....death April 4, 1855
Sarah (Chapin) Caltern -- Nov. 3, 1776 .....death Aug. 7, 1799
Josiah Chapin -- Feb. 17, 1779 .....death Sept. 10, 1833
Polly (Chapin) Skinner -- June 6, 1781 ......death Dec. 31, 1813
Susanna (Chapin) Beadle -- April 9, 1784 ......death Aug. 28, 1830
Harvey Chapin (Married a Campbell) -- Oct. 2, 1787
Rheuma Chapin -- Aug. 4, 1790
Almon Chapin -- Nov. 25, 1809
Lucina (Sturdevant) Chapin -- Feb. 2, 1809
Harvey E. Chapin -- Aug. 4, 1790
Jamy Campbell -- Jan. 8, 1745
Isabel (Elder) Campbell -- Aug. 30, 1752 .......death Dec. 1828
Achea Campbell -- March 12, 1785
Dolly (Campbell) Chapin -- Dec. 28, 1787
Lyman B. Campbell -- Nov. 4, 1790...... March 14, 1843 (married Laura Warner)
James Campbell -- Aug. 5, 1793.......death March 31, 1821
Betsy L. (Campbell) Jones -- Sept. 21, 1796
James Campbell --_____.........death March 18, 1838

Vol X, no 1 page 13 - Summer 1987


Submitted by Iris Wagers, Shickley, Fillmore Co., Nebraska

Abstracted from the SHICKLEY HERALD NEWSPAPER - March 26, 1908

P. BERQUIST - Merchant
SHUSTER, Fred - Down from Geneva
GARDNER, Arthur, Strang, Assisting in Herald Office
ROWLISON & LONG - Merchant
GARDNER, Rev. - Strang, visited
LIMBACH & BEACH - Merchant - Having sale
MILROY, W. C. - building addition to residence on So. Market St.
ACKER, Charles, wife & dau. visit rel. at Huntley
HEARHOOD, T. E. & family moved, Peru, Neb.
ROTH, Sam severed connection with P. BERQUIST to farm and left Shickley
POWELL, G. W. to Strang to relieve Updike grain agent
SHEPARD, C. A. - House for sale
REMY, Dr. C. S. - dentist at Dr. Wilson's office
WITTMACK, H. - Eggs and poultry for sale
MATZKE, Will visited parents at Milford
BALDWIN, A. M. - Lincoln visitor
COLSON, Chas. business visitor to Geneva
HUSTON, F. B. business visitor to Geneva
WILSON, Art visited in Geneva
STEPHENSON, Helen Geneva visitor
AXELSON, Frank of Edgar in Shickley
BALDWIN, Nellie - Lincoln visitor
KEETS, Will to Paradise, KS to general mdse house
HOAG, Lorena returned from Omaha
LIMBACK, T. J. business trip to Lincoln
PUCKETT, Dr., Geneva dentist to Shickley
BRUCE, Mrs. E. E. ret. to home in Belvidere after visiting J. R. PHELPS
BERQUIST, Albert selling horses at LAMB barn in Geneva
HOFF, John, 2 children burned to death (obit.)
SHAW, C. J. - Meat man
HEALD, Miss Blanche visited Geneva
GREEN, Miss visited Geneva
SHEPHERD, Madame W. P. from Geneva visited relatives
BUMGARNER, Madame Grover from Geneva visited relatives
PALMER, Thos. C., Editor Shickley Herald
DODGE, L. O. - Postmaster
HARDINGER, S. - Druggist
THOMPSON, J. M. - Harness Shop
HOAK, M. M. - Photographer
SHAW, C. J. - Meat Market
PEARSON, N. - Feed Grinding
ROCK, Wm. & Co. - Merchant
VOUGH, A. A. - Selling iron fences
GOSS, Mr. and Mrs. Green, born March 24, a daughter
KRAUSE, Mr. and Mrs. Albert, born March 24, a daughter
LULL, Leonard of Omaha, visited at home
CONVERSE, Levi came from Heartwell to visit relatives
KUNKLE, Rev. attended dedication services at Davenport
FRENZEN, E. C. - Tonsorial Parlor
SCHELKOPF, M. L. - Pres. of Shickley Telephone Co.
SCHRWEID, Louis and M. FRANZEN, Emma D. married March 19, 1908 (Writeup)
ROCK, Wm. visited Omaha
HOAG, Marsh & Lulu attended M. E. dedication service, Davenport
SHEPPARD, Milan returned from Ong
KETCHUM, E. T. - M. E. secretary
KUNKEL, Rev. B. N., Meth. minister
ANDREWS, Miss Edda ret. from K. C. & displaying millinery at Craig bldg.
VENNER, C. S. - taking over Limbach-Beach Store
SMITH, Genoa & wife of Grand Island visited his father, N. T. SMITH
HEINY, M. M. assisting Hoak Photography

Transcribed by Kathie Harrison - May-Jul 2001
By permission of the Nebraska State Genealogical Society

** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **

Return to TOC for Volume 10, Nebraska Ancestree

© 2000, 2001 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project
by Dennis Norvell, Kathie Harrison, Connie Snyder, T&C Miller