NSGS Ancestree


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - Winter Volume 16, No. 3 - Page 97

Submitted by Phyllis Willuweit

HAMILTON COUNTY LAND TRANSFERS
From Aurora Sun Newspaper
Thse (sic) names could be either Grantee or Grantor. The date is the date of the newspaper, not of the land transaction.

26 May 1888

23 June 1888

Peter REGlER

W. W. SHENBERGER

Andrew J. HANOUIST

John WILLIAMS

Joe SKELTON

Peter JACOBY

Niels A. WILHELMSEN

Albert LOZIER

Isaac MOORE

Sherman S. SEARS

S. N. WHITTLESEY

Stephen A. PURDY

Alex COLEMAN

George H. GREEN

J. R. VanBOSKIRK

John G. NORDGREN

Edgar H. POWELL

Gustav L. WAGNER

Olof SWANSON

Wm G. HASTINGS

John MATTHEWS

Swan N. PETERSON

J. O. BAKER

Eliza M. MATTHEWS

Wm. C. SCOBIE

Peter DRAKE

Ruth SCOTT

Blanche M. STEVENS

Elizabeth DEFEHR

Jerome H. SMITH

J. N. CASSELL

J. O. BAKER

Torace GIBBONS

N. P. SPAFFORD

Ida B. SHERRICK

R. W. POWERS

J. N. CASSELL

Cornelius DICK

William GLOVER

E. J. HAINER

Frank DICK

Harry S. FRYMOR

M. J. STIGERS

2 June 1888

I. D. EVANS

S. N. LYSINGER

Frank HARTNELL

Harvey D. PRICE

Willis H. GINN

L. T. CUDNEY

28 July 1888

Jacob V. DAY

F. C. MATHER

Albert KAMTZ

David STONE

Ferdinand WIESS

Sarah SLATER

Nelson FAIRCHILD

Patrick SAVAGE

Mary E. LEONARD

9 June 1888

Peter TROUDT

Alexander THOMAS

30 June 1888

E. M. VANWORMER

Wm. P. SWEATLAND

C. L. VALENTINE

Lars LINDGREN

Elizabeth DEPHR

John A. FOSTER

Christ HANSEN

Sarah DALKE

Edward PATTON

James H. MOORE

Joseph W. DUNKIN

Jacob FOSTER

Moritz KOHN

William GLOVER

Thos MCRAY

Jno R. CLARK

Peter H. WIND

Arthur O. HASARD

Henry B. WITTE

Peter H. LOFGREN

John FERGUSON

Frank CHAMBERS

Emily P. HALLECK

Andrew J. JONES

Hans GIBSON

Eliza ALLEN

Joseph COWLING

John W. Little

Edgar D. FOSTER

J. W. MILLER

Rebecca A. RICH

Jerome H. SMITH

Charles MIDEKE

Henry LIEBHART

William DIXON

14 July 1888

G. H. DAVIDSON

Alfred G. SIMS

William ROWAN

I. E. STANDARD

Henry NEWMAN

Chas W. HERMAN

Beckford KUTCH

Eliza WENGARD

James CANNON

Mary WEEDEN

T. E. WRIGHT

Frederick HOLM

A. M. ABRAHAM

George A. WASHBURN

Edward COOPER

4 August 1888

John A. SHERRARD

Samuel GRESSLEY

Wm P. GAMBREL

Peter FRIESEN

James H. WILKINS

J. W. HAWORTH

John FRIESEN

Peter LEFEVER

Edmund W. FALL

Elvin VanMETRE

John W. GRAY

Thomas GRAVES

Caroline NEWMAN

John WILLIAMS

Frank P. S. LYSINGER

S. B. CHAPMAN

Wm. TOWNLEY

Salmon B. CHAPMAN


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - Winter Volume 16, No. 3 - Page 98

Hamilton County Land Transfers continued:

4 August 1888

Sas McDONNELL

J. D. FERGUSON Sr.

Henry N. RICHARDS

Thomas A. McKAY

Creed T. GREER

Catherine BROWN

Lillian A. McKAY

Helen A. GREER

Wm GLOVER

Wm P. SWEATLAND

O. F. GREER

W. F. WHEELER

Beckford KUTCH

Mima J. HALL

D. M. HUTTON

.J. W. SANDERS

B. F. WEBB

Albert POWER

D. V. JOYNER

Harvey COLE

? M. REYNOLDS

D. T. DAVIDSON

Chas A. BURK

Wm RATHYE

.J. F. WALTERS

J. F. SEGRIST

11 August 1888

D. BATES

J. F. VANBOSKIRK

Chas L. CRANE

Lars LARSEN

J. D. STEWART

J. W. FARRAND

T. A. McKAY

M. M. LATHAM

Wm A. DANGLER

Wm. GLOVER

H. H. BOWKER

Nelson M. GEORGE

Hannah G. RAY

6 Oct. 1888

John C. LENNOT

Michael PRESSLER

Frank MACK

Geo. W. E. DORSEY

Jennette DAVIDSON

Wm H. SHRAEDER

Abner W. STEELE

D. T. DAVIDSON

A. R. DOOLITTLE

Clifford P. FALL

15 Sept. 1888

Wm E. PATTERSON

Wm GLOVER

John VOGT

Wm. E. LOUNSLURY

Wm H. COLEMAN

Claus REEH

Robert MILLER

Chas DeMARANVILLE

M. S. GOSS

J. W. JONES

Wm G. HASTINGS

J. A. DECK

Arthur D. SCOTT

Tobias CASTER

Amelia M. SCHUK

Walter SCOTT

Allen BONNIFIELD

Michael SCHUK

Delavan BATES

Frank E. VALENTINE

Amelia SCHUK

Wm G. RIECKER

John FARLEY

Frank W. MATHER

James NICKELS

Andrew P. WENELL

Dr. A. R. RAY

John R. GALLENTINE

Gust. A. NORDELL

Chas STANDARD

John FAIRHAVEN

Orlando R. BEEBE

George WILDISH

N. MARTEN

Charles J. NORDELL

Myran WILDISH

Wm. H. KENNEDY

25 August 1888

29 Sept. 1888

John HENDERSON

Herman VANAKER

Mary J. DENOON

F. R. NORMAN

Sherman PROCTOR

John SULLIVAN

James ARMSTRONG

E. D. FOSTER

Richard L. ABARA

Minnie F. AHARA

Orrin B. HOUGHTON

Richard M. MORRELL

Wm H. MASON

Joshua JEMISON

Albert DETOMORE

Geo W. E. DORSEY

John JEMISON

Perry L. PAGE

Peter ERECKSON

Oliver COOK

John PEERSON

13 Oct. 1888

John KAUFMAN

A. C. ADAMS

Emily . J. W. SPENCER

A. J. HANQUIST

E. W. WESTERVELT

Walter SCOTT

O. A. JOHNSON

A. S. LOVE

Henry KROUTWICK

Lars ESKILDSON

Peter M. GRIESS

Daniel LYHAER

1 Sept. 1888

Jacob GRIESS

J. G. NORDGREN

Wm. H. PINNELL

Frank CHAMBERS

Katherina NORDGREN

E. J. WADDLE

G. E. CONLSON

Alexander MILLER

Mary A. FOSS

J. H. SMITH

Carl ROHDE

Ella M. BUCKLIN

Albert WEAVER

Milo N. HOGUE

Hannah E. CONKLING

E. G. McCORD

J. D. FERGUSON Jr.

Thomas N. CONKLING

Alden GARWOOD

Harry A. SCOTT

Thompson M. DAY

Lydia Jane WEBB

Hattie N. HOGUE

Wm. P. ROLLSTON

J. H. FARIS

David STONE


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER VOLUME 16 No. 3 - Page 99

Hamilton County Land Transfers continued:

13 Oct. 1888

D. COLE

C. J. SWANSON

D. BATES

Levi SNYDER

L. B. WORTHINGTON

W. E. BULLOCK

S. C. HIATT

Elise SECKEL

Ella BOYD

Sarah E. MYERS

Robt McMURRIN

W. C. WENTZ

R. G. McKIBBEN

C. P. NELSON

E. J. WADDLE

John MILLIKEN

J. COX

Harden SKAGGS

Emil SCHWARZ

D. McMURRIN

Rachel T. LITTLER

John GALLAGHER

W. F. PECK

20 Oct. 1888

Wm HAGERMAN

Mary LENTZINGER

S. W. HOLDEN

J. W. NICHOLSON

Harry E. METZGER

Alfred W. AGEE

A. STALNAKER

J. A. DAY

Abner W. STEELE

27 Oct. 1888

W. F. MILLER

John FONNER

Geo W. E. DORSEY

J. E. BOYD

N. F. LANE

M. W. WALSH

J. W. WOODS

F. G. STRICKLER

Christ GEMPEL

Geo. SOWERWI--

H. SKAGGS

Lars P. LARSONF.

A. REYNOLDS

Frank ROACH

James W. KERNER.

R. A. SMITH

G. E. CONLSON

Geo. A. COLVERT

T. E. STANDARD

Frank CHAMBERS

K. P. SWANSON

############################################################################

CLOSING EXERCISES OF ST. JOSEPH'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL
June 23, 24, 1908
Beatrice, Gage County, NE.

From: Margaret Graff, Beatrice
Names on the Program

Miss A. B. LONG

Irene GRFF

R. GENTLEMAN

A. GRABOWSKI

A. ZAHN

L. KLINE

J. BORZEKEWSKI

F. SIMON

F. LUCKS

J. PLEBUCK

A. FALK

F. O'DONNELL

J. GRAFF

F. CALLELY

A. KUNKEL

J. STELLER

Miss L. MAYER

C. FALK

E. MOGAN

J. GRANETZKI

M. SHULTZ

F. MAHONEY

L. GRAFF

E. KOLLEKOFSKI

M. PLEBUCK

G. KUNKEL

H. CZUBA

A. BORZEKOWSKI

Hugo LANG

C. GRAFF

S. SOBOTT

C. LUCKS

M. KOBJEROWSKI

A. CARMICHEL

E. SCHLEGEL

A. SCHMIDT

T. GRAFF

E. ENGLER

E. LUCKS

M. SCHULTZ

. J. KUNKEL

A. McMULLEN

******************************************************************

From Margaret Graff
CAMBRIDGE HIGH SCHOOL, Class of 1900, Furnas County
NAMES ON PROGRAM:  Rev. Wm. HARDCASTLE, Supt. A. O. HIMSON, Edward CORLISS Rev. RUNCIE, Delia PERDUE, Zella SPEARS, Marie HOUGNON, Harriet N. WEBBER and Nellie W. FREDERICKSON, Paul H. BEEBE, Clyde BACON, Frank CUSHING, Irvin A. BENNETT. Ruth BABCOCK, Flossie B. CLINE, Mable I. BEEBE, Hattie M. WEEDEN, Jessie POLLARD, Bessie C. NEWCOMB, W. E. BABCOCK.

CLASS ROLL

Marie M. HOUGHON

Nellie W. FREDERICKSON

J. FRANK CUSHING

Ruth H. BABCOCK

Zella SPEARS

Irvin A. BENNETT

Harriet M. WEBBER

Jessie P. POLLARD

Bessie C. NEWCOMB

Flossie B. CLINE

Clyde BACON


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER Volume 16, No 3 - Page 100

Cambridge High School continued:

Hattie M. WEEDEN

Della E. PERDUE

Paul H. BEEBE

TEACHERS:

J. O. LYNE, Principal

Clara C. RICHARDSON, Ass't Prin.

Annie JOHNSTON

Maud LECKNER

Eva WAGONER

Tillie MOORE

BOARD OF EDUCATION

J. H. ROSENFELT, Pres.

W. E. BABCOCK, Sec'y

S. O. SIMONDS, Treas.

R. H. RANKIN

G. W. TURNER

W. ENSLOW

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From Elden G. Burcham, North Platte, Ne.
HUNT SCHOOL, DISTRICT No. 18, Rockford Tp. Gage Co. , NE 1906
Miss Beulah BLASS, Teacher      Miss Anna V. DAY, Co. Supt.
PUPILS

Orcen HESS

Mary LEWIS

Estel MAY

Eugene LEWIS

Esther LEWIS

Henry JOBMAN

Hazel BURCHAM

Lucile SPARKS

Elza BURCHAM

Lora LEACH

Lynn HILL

Ray MORRIS

Alta SPARKS

Arthur HESS

Clark HEMPHILL

Phelps LEWIS

Ethel MAY

Perry HEMPHILL

John JOBMAN, Director

Granvil SPARKS, Treasurer

Silas BURCHAN, Moderator

############################################################################

WEBSTER COUNTY, NEWS -- 1899

Abstracted from: The Red Cloud Nation, May 25, 1899

Sheriff WELLS returned home Tuesday after a week's absence in the northeast part of the county where he had been lookina after stolen goods, He discovered the same at the store of W. H. LEETSCH of Rosemont. Mr. LEETSCH claimed to have bought the same of thieves but thought he had a right to. Mr. WELLS found the goods to the amount of $400 in his store, also goods in a straw stack about five miles from town to the value of $250. Mr. LEETSCH then gave up the whole thing when the sheriff asked him to, and delivered him goods to the value of $50 whick (sic) he still has in his possession. The bulk of goods were returned to the merchants from other little towns who were there to identify them.

The tenth annual commencement of the Red Cloud high school will he (sic) held in the opera house, Friday, June 2, at 8:30 p. m. Dr. Eugene MAY of Washington D. C. will deliver the class address. Dr. May. . . is a noted traveler and lecturer. . . There are twelve graduated of the regular course, and four that will complete all the work except the Latin. Of the latter Myra GRIFFITH will continue her studies next year and graduate with the century class. Rev. DEAN will preach the class sermon Sunday morning, June 4, at the Congregational Church. Admission will be 15 cents. No extra charge for reserved seats. Seats will be placed on sale Tuesday morning, May 30, at (9:00) at GRICE's Drug Store.

E. J. OVERING and daughter Sadie, of Red Cloud, spent a few hours in Alma Wesnesday (sic) and took dinner at the Burr. They were on their way to McCook where Mr. OVERING is putting up a large and imposing monument to be dedicated on Decoration Day, to the old soldiers. ---Alma Record.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER VOLUME 16, NO. 3 - Page 101

07 JANUARY 1932 BELGRADE HERALD SHOWING HAPPENINGS OF INTEREST FROM 1912.
SUBMITTED BY: PATRICIA A. WAGNER, ALBION

**********************************************************************************

The Belgrade Fire Department was called to the WALTER and EVELYN BENN home.

MISS COWBERY of Elm Creek took the place in our school of PROF. SNYDER, who left for parts unknown at Christmas time.

MISS TYNER of Indiana took the place of EDNA ATWATER, who was married 04 January 1912, to F. H. GILLETT an Albion farmer.

MR. AND MISS FULLER ran a photograph gallery here at that time.

TWILA BROWN, 4 year old daughter of FRED BROWN, died in January after a long illness.

JESSIE ANDREWS became the bride of GUY ROLPH 01 Janaury (sic) 1912 REV. MC VEY tying the knot at Fullerton.

J. W. LUDINGTON, MRS. DOPF'S father, died at Fullerton 07 January 1912.

H. S. FOX died 09 January 1912 at Belgrade.

MRS. JAMES FLOYD, nee PEARL SHAFFER, a former Belgrade girl, died at Little Rock, Arkansas.

HARRY SHINN of Council Grove, Kansas, a nephew of J. P. VESEY, learned the baker's trade at CALDWELL'S Restaurant here that winter.

MORGAN FLAHERTY, Clerk of the District Court, and PEARL CLEVELAND, both of Fullerton, were married at Columbus in January.

MRS. WALTER BENNETT died at her home south of Belgrade in January.

C. V. MOON helf (sic) a sale 01 Febraury (sic) and went to Richville, Washington to visit his nephew, HESS MOON.

P. O. DENNEDY, a farmer living north of Fairview, held a sale and moved to Julian, Nebraska.

PADDY RINE, insurance man, was burned about the face when he undertook to clean out a chimney.

MRS. EMMA CORNWELL died 07 February 1912 after a long illness.

R. T. BAIRD former publisher of this newspaper was editor of the Woodriver Sunbeam at that time.

DR. BATES traded Fullerton property for the Boone County Advance and his son, MERT, continued to publish the same.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER Volume 16, No. 3 - Page 102
CLAY COUNTY PHYSICIANS 1881-1889

The register of physicians of Clay County contains the following names, college and date of license. Submitted by Rose Marie Hulse, Exeter, NE.

REGISTERED IN 1881

Wilcox, Marcus W.   Chicago 1864

Forney, L. J.   Cincinnati 1868

Oyler, Benjamin C.   Cincinnati 1878

Allen, S. A.   Practice 1878

Casterline, Thomas E.   Practice 1866

Anderson, D. F.   Keokuk 1879

Palmer, Charles   Chicago 1871

Hall, T. R.   St. Louis 1875

Clark, M. V. B.   Cleveland 1869

Conn, R. B.   New York City 1852

Kendall, A. O.   New York City

Fleming, John T.   Practice 1860

Howard, I. D.   Philadelphia 1879

Howard, Mary A.   Practice 1878

Canfield, Owen B.   Louisville 1877

Case, John H.   St. Louis 1874

Perkins, Mark A.   Philadelphia 1870

Cassell, E. T.   Iowa 1875

REGISTERED IN 1882

Prentice, G. M.   Iowa 1881

Robison, Michael T.   Montreal 1857

Rehsteiner, John   Germany 1870

REGISTERED 1883

Alexson, A. S  weden 1869

Laurence, C. T.   Cincinnati 1857

Keller, A. H.   Omaha 1876

Butler, Thomas P.   Louisville 1882

REGISTERED IN 1884

Shoemaker, O. P.   Joplin 1882

Youngman, S. C.   Omaha 1884

REGISTERED IN 1885

Edgar, John F.   I owa 1885

Blair, G. A.   Baltimore 1880

Spatz, Joseph E.   Chicago 1885

Butler, F. A.   Louisville 1879

Rose, F. W.   Cincinnati 1885

Wilcox, Francis M.   Cleveland 1850

Bacon, A. J.   Chicago 1864

REGISTERED IN 1886

Berkner, J. M.   St. Louis 1886

Saline, A. L.   Chicago 1880

McCrackan, Thomas   Chicago 1886

Matson, Daniel   Practice 1869

Vradenburg, H. L.   Chicago 1886

Miller, William H.   1872

REGISTERED IN 1887

Gallison, John S.   Philidelphia (sic) 1873

Williams, Charles M.   Indianapolis 1881

Boardman, E. O.   Chicago 1878

Ray, Adam R.   Keokuk 1888

Malone, Thomas C.   Chicago 1877

Bailey, H. M.   Iowa 1887

Scott, Sarah A.   Iowa 1888

Janns, Peter   New York City 1871

REGISTERED IN 1889

Tanner, William   St. Louis 1884

Conrod, James H.   Practice 1872

Woods, Royal   Chicago 1889

Kensington, Milo L.   Joplin 1882

Holmes, L. C.   Chjcago (sic) 1889

Houghey, I. W.   Iowa 1889

Ramaley, L. W.   Joplin 1882


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER Volume 16, No. 3 - Page 103
EARLY SCHOOLS OF GAGE COUNTY
Beatrice Weekly Express Nov 3, 1898
The following very interesting paper written by Mrs. W. A. Wagner was read before the Gage County Pioneer Association recently and its publication will be of deep interest to every citizen of the county and city:

Gage county was organized July 16, 1857, soon after the arrival of the first settlers. The first election was August 4th. Amoung (sic) the officers elected was H. O. Belden, school superintendent; he recieved (sic) thirty-one votes. There were at that time thirty-three men and one woman in the county. Mr. Nathan Blakely was one of the men who did not vote. He had arrived in Beatrice but a few days previous and was undecided whether to remain or not. He has fully atoned for not voting at that first election by voting at every fall election from that day to this.

There were no schools in the county to superintend at that time and as Mr. Belden himself is forgotten by most of the early settlers it is supposed that he soon went on farther west. Even the legality of his election is questioned as many years afterwards we find the county clerk acting as ex-officio school superintendent, First, Mr. Nathan Blakely from 1858 to 1861, C. C. Coffenberry 1861, Oliver Townsend 1861 to 1868. There was also a board of school examiners, consisting of three person. For several years Mr. Nathan Blakely and Dr. H. M. Reynolds were members of this board. About 1861 Mr. J. T. Sargent, brother-in-law of Mrs. Dr. W. J. Harris, was one of this examining board, and starting to return from Beatrice to his home at Blue Springs, as Oliver Townsend was taking him across the Blue river in a canoe the boat upset and they both came near being drowned.

The first attempt to build a school house was made in Beatrice in the fall of 1859. This was on the corner of Ella and Fifth streets. Before it was completed it was destroyed by a prairie fire. It was not until 1862 that the first school house in Gage county was completed. This was in Beatrice, on Elk Street, a little south of where the high school building now stands. It was a small frame house, and for many years was used not only for schools, but for church and all public meetings. It was built by subscription, some giving money, others material or work. Rev. A. L. Tinkam superintended the building of it, he and his sons doing a large part of the work. In the winter of 1862-3 Mr. Oliver Townsend taught the first school in the new school house.

Previous to this, in 1860, Mrs. Frances Butler, also known as Mrs. Blush, had taught a subscription school in a small frame school house on what was known as the Roper property. Fifteen pupils were enrolled. Among them were three of Mr. Towle's daughters, Emma, afterwards Mrs. Jos. Saunders, Delia, now Mrs. Richard Davis, and Mary, Mrs. Dr. Davis, John and James Mumford, Hiram and Joseph Alexander, Ella Miles and a little sister, (name not known) two or three Maxwell boys and Will Jones, the latter a boy of 11 years, riding in from the country four or five miles every morning on a mule, and to his good memory we are indebted for many of the facts and dates recorded in this paper.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER VOLUME 16, No. 3 - Page 104

Early Schools of Gage County Continued:

In 1861 Miss Weathy Tinkum, now the wife of Mr. Jos. Hollingworth, taught in Beatrice, on the south side of Court Street near Fourth, the first public school taught in Gage county.

In every school district a three months term must be taught before any public money can be drawn. This preliminary school was the one taught by Miss Wealthy Tinkum, she taking the examination but being paid by subscription. About this time, 1861 a subscription school was taught in Blue Springs by Mrs. Maria Sargent, sister of Mrs. Dr. W. J. Harris, and wife of J. R. Sargent. She taught in her own home, a log cabin, and had twelve pupils. In 1864, she and her husband returned to their home in Illinois.

In 1862 Miss Wealthy Tinkum taught a subscription school in Blue Springs, and 1863 her sister Maggie, afterwards wife of Mr. Nathan Blakely, taught the first public school in Blue Springs, and Hugh Dobbs was a pupil. She taught in a building erected as a dwelling house but fitted up with seats and used for school and church. We cannot hear of any school taught in Blue Springs in 1864-65, during the Indian troubles; 1866 is doubtful. Miss Mary Bailey, afterward wife of James Shelly, taught in 1867-68 in Mr. Haynes log house. The first school house in Blue Springs was built in 1869, the next with two rooms in 1873, the present building in 1882.

The first country school we can hear of was a private school taught by Miss Clarissa Roper, in Mr. Jones' house four miles north of Beatrice, in the summer of 1861. Mr. Jack Pethoud taught a subscription school there in the winter of 1861-62 and Miss Alexander also taught in the same district or neighborhood. A log school house was built there in 1867 and in Jan. 1868 W. . Wagner began the first school in it, and the first public school in that district.

District No. 2, on the Nemaha, where Mr. George Gale lived, was one of the first districts organized. In 1865, they got logs and other material ready to build a school house but a flood came and scattered the timbers all over the bottom land, and it was with much additional labor and expense the building was finally erected. So the early settlers had to contend with both fire and floods in establishing the school of which Gage county is justly proud. In the fall of 1863 Beatrice came very near losing its school house again by fire. As Mr. A. O. Sage was riding into town one day he saw a prairie fire rapidly approaching the school house. He jumped from his horse, let it go, pulled off his coat and with no other weapon fought the fire single handed. At length he had the satisfaction of seeing the fire subdued and the school house saved, but his coat was completely ruined.

In District No 21, Mrs. Daniel Freeman taught the first public school in 1865, in a house built by Louie Coffin. Miss Martha Alexander had taught a subscription school in that district previous to 1863. In the Kilpatrick district, No. 22, Miss Cornelia Bailey, afterwards Mrs. Wm. Blakely, taught in 1864, and Hattie Bailey (Mrs. Eugene Mack) taught in 1865. Mrs. Jos. Hollingworth taught in her own house on their homestead in 1865, the only


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER VOLUME 16, No. 3 - Page 105

Early Schools of Gage County Continued:

school between Beatrice arid Blue Springs and the first in that district, Miss Maggie Tinkum taught three years in Mr. Dobbs' district. She was teaching there in 1865. Many districts were organized that year. Teachers in those days received $10 per month and boarded around.

The following is a list of the teachers who taught in Beatrice from the first subscription school in 1860 to the first graded school in 1870. A few of the dates cannot be ascertained with certainty as no records can be found, and we have had to depend on the memory of those who were in Beatrice at that time:

Mrs. Francis Butler, summer

1860

Miss Wealthy Tinkum, summer

1861

Oliver Townsend, winter

1862-3

*Mary Alexander, summer

1863

Lucindia Loomis, winter

1863-4

Susan Galliger, summer

1864

Jack Pethoud, winter

1864-5

Carrie Galliger, summer

1865

Jack Pethoud, winter

1865-6

Hattie Bailey, summer

1866

Carrie Gale, fall and winter

1866

Mr. Dutton, winter and spring

1867

Sarah Crabbs, summer

1867

*M. S. Edgerton, fall

1867

N. K. Griggs, winter

1867-8

Mattie Terry, summer

1868

Henry L. Wagner, winter

1868-9

H. P. Webb and N. K. Griggs

1868-9

     Private school, winter

Louisa Dunn, summer

1869

Mr. Hodsden & Mary L. Blodgett

1869-70

     First graded school, winter

Mary L. Blodgett

1870

     Private school

No public school taught, summer

1870

*Date uncertain

Miss Loomis is still teaching in Omaha we are informed.

In the revised statues of 1866 we find that each voting precinct constitued (sic) a school district. At first there were but two precincts, Beatrice and Blue Springs, and for a long time they were rivals, Blue Springs trying to get the county seat away from Beatrice.

In 1868, after Nebraska had become a state, there was quite a revival in school interests. Hon. Nathan Blakely was a member of the first legislature that met that year at Lincoln. He secured the passage of a bill obtaining for this county the grant of 1,000 acres of land, half of the proceeds of which was to build the first bridge across the Blue river at Beatrice, the other half to go into the school fund.


NEBRASKA ANCESTREE - WINTER VOLUME 16, No. 3 - Page 106

Early Schools of Gage County Continued:

In this first year, 1868, Oliver Townsend, county clerk, and his assistant, W. A. Wagner, divided the county into thirty school districts and renumbered them, beginning in the northeast corner. The county commissioners appointed Rev. B. F. McNeal (who organized the first Presbyterian church in Beatrice) as school superintendent, and in the fall of 1869 Mr. L. B. Filley was elected by the people.

The school houses in the country districts were mostly if not all log houses, sod houses or dugouts.

The pupils were uncultured, of course, but naturally bright, some of them showing an ambition and craving for a higher life, as may be seen when a boy like Dobbs will ride ten or twelve miles to see a school house being built. Others showed a daring and wildness that might have come from living among the Indians. I have been told that pupils have actually been known to jump out of the windows during school times, and authorities all agree that there were some very rough boys in the Beatrice schools in those early days.

The first attempt to grade the Beatrice school was in the fall of 1869, when Mr. Hodsden taught the higher department in the school house, and Mary L. Blodgett the primary upstairs in an old stone building on Market and Fourth streets. The Beatrice Clarion was printed in the room below by Mr. Joseph Nelson, and as that room was not plastered, the pupils had to walk very carefully to and from recitations. My memory of that school is very pleasant. The pupils were orderly and learned very fast. I will only mention a few of the 56 names enrolled. Fanny and Josie McDowell, Katie McDowell, George and Jack Emery, Nathan Reynolds, Elsie Mary Hinkle, Edna Pease, Ella and Austie Roper. Mr. Hodsden's school numbered about 30 or 35 pupils.

In 1870, the brick school house was built on the corner of 8th and Ella, containing 3 rooms at first, afterwards six. Mr. Chase was the first principal there, followed the next year by Mr. C. B. Palmer. But this part of the history of the schools belongs to modern rather than ancient history.

Submitted by Ellen DeVries, Lincoln NE

Image               Image

** Note: These electronic pages are provided for your personal use, and may not be reproduced in any format for profit, nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or individual. They may be freely copied for your personal use. **

Return to TOC for Volume 16, Nebraska Ancestree

© 2003 for NSGS & NEGenWeb Project