SHERMAN COUNTY COMMUNITIES
Sherman county was organized in the fall of 1873. It was
named in honor of General William Tecumseh Sherman who attained notoriety
for his "march to the sea" during the Civil War. The county's boundaries
were officially organized and defined on 1 March 1871.
If you have some information that can be added to
this page, please e-mail Randy
& Jeri Jones for inclusion. Sources
listed at the bottom. We will continue to research these towns and
will update this page as new information is found.
received its name from John P. Taylor, a settler in the area. He
named it after his old home, Ashton, Illinois.
Austin: A post office
was established here in 1877 and discontinued in 1919. The town was
named after pioneer settler Austin Butts and was located in Clay precinct.
Balsora: The post office
at this location was only in service for 9 years. It was established
in September of 1879 and discontinued in April of 1888.
Bentora: The post office
was established here on October 2, 1882. It is assumed that the name
came from the Bent family, as the first postmistriss was Mary Bent.
The name was later changed to Hazard.
Bluffton: As with
the town of Balsora, this post office was only in existence for a 9 year
period. It was established in 1879 and discontinued in 1888.
Bunnell: This was the
name originally chosen for the town of Hazard. It was found that
this name was preempted and another name had to be selected.
post office was established 14 January 1884 and was later changed to Litchfield.
It is probable that the town was named after the many cedar trees in the
Cleoria: This post
office office was established on the same day as the Cedarville post office.
It was a very short lived office, being discontinued only eleven months
later on November, 3. The name was chosen in honor of resident, Cleoria
C. Denniston was the first postmaster of the this office and was most likely
the source of the name. It opened in February of 1885 and lasted
only five months, closing in July.
Divide: This town was
named after the summit of a railroad grade. Twenty years of service
were provided by the post office here, from 1886 to 1906.
Elting: Named after
Elting Johnson, the first postmaster. Established on 01 June 1883
and was discontinued after four years, on 09 February 1887.
Fern: Post office was
established her on 03 August 1882 and provided service until 17 February
1887, when it was discontinued.
Fitzalon: On 04 January
1880 the Fitzalon post office was established. The origin of the
name is unknown and was changed to Furay in 1882.
Furay: Previously named
Fitzalon, the post office was renamed in April of 1882. The name
was chosen in honor of postal inspecter, Major Furay.
Rutherford B. Hayes was in office when this town was established and it
was named in his honor. The post office began its service on 19 January
1877 and discontinued service on 25 January 1899 after twenty-two years.
Hazard: Originally this
town was named Bentora and the name Bunnell was considered for a time.
The residents had a rough time selecting a name and one local stated that
they "would hazard some name." Another replied that a "hazard" it
would be, and so Hazard was chosen. Hazard is also the name of the
precinct in which it lies.
Jericho: A post office
was in service here for five years, from 1883 to 1888. It would seem
most likely that the name was chosen after the Old Testament city of Jericho.
This town was located in Harrison precinct and was probably named for Litchfield,
Connecticut. The town was originally established in 1884 and was
named Cedarville. In 1886 it was changed to its current name.
Lonelm: Located in the
eastern part of the county, this town received its name from a lone elm
tree that had survived a prairie fire. It was in service for only
two years, from 1882 to 1884.
Loup City was established on 26 August 1873 and was named county seat in
that same year. The town lies a valley that was once occupied by
the Skidi tribe of the Pawnee. This is how the valley and town received
their names, for "Loup" is a french translation of the word "Skidi".
Skidi is the Pawnee word for wolf. The precinct in which this town
lies is also named Loup City.
McAlpine: This was
a former Burlington Railroad station and may be named for railroad official,
Noah: This post office
was established in 1881 and was named after the first postmaster, Noah
Paradise: This post
office was in service for a five month period, from September, 1883 to
Paris: This location
started out as Fitzalon in 1880, and in 1882 was changed to Furay.
After only one month, the name was again changed, this time to Paris.
No one knows for sure how the office got the name Paris, but there at least
two stories. One states that the name came from Paris, Wisconsin,
home town of the postmasters wife. The other story says that the
town was named after Miss Lydia French who was called Miss Paris.
Poplin: Area with a
store, located five miles northwest of Ashton.
Rockville: Rock Creek
was the inpiration for the town name. It runs along the west side
of town and was given its name because of the many lime rocks in its bed.
The precinct in which the town is located is also named Rockville.
Schaupps: The townsite
was located on land owned by the Schaupp brothers. They owned a great
deal of land in the Loup City precinct, where Schaupps was located.
this town was named Noah and was changed to Souleville in 1882. Six
years later the post office was discontinued. Named in honor of the
was a stage stop and the post office was established on 9 January
1880. Rev. Joshua M. Snyder was the first postmaster here and provided
the town with its name. The area abounded with vegetation and thus
was his inspiration for the name. This post office served the area
for seventeen years.
Walhelms: Former location
named either for a local settler or a place in Germany.
office established September 4, 1879. Name was changed to Zeven in
November of 1882.
Zeven: Originally named
Wilhelmshohe and later changed to Ashton. The name came from a town
in Hanover Province in Germany.
_NEBRASKA, A Guide to the
Cornhusker State_, Compiled and Written by the Federal Writers' Project
of the Works Progress Administration for the State of Nebraska, Sponsored
by the NSHS, Hastings House Pub, NY, 1939
_Perkey's Nebraska Place
Names_, by Elton A Perkey, J&L Lee Co, 1995 [Available for NSHS, POB
82554, Lincoln, NE 68501, cost $12.95+S/H$4.00 Apr 1997]
by Lilian Linder Fiszpatrick, A.M.; University of Nebraska, Studies in
Language and Literature, © Lincoln, 1925.
This page last modified onFriday, 26-Nov-2004 15:24:27 MST