Department of Nebraska
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Department of Nebraska established in 1881
The Grand Army of the Republic officially recognized the Sons of Union Veterans in 1888.
Nebraska Department grew to 112 Active Camps in 1891. Decline in membership resulted in hard economic times, membership age being rasied to 18, and the Spanish American War.
National Encampment of the Sons was held in Omaha in 1898
Department was reorganized in 1930 with 30 Camps.
Department of Nebraska SUVCW disbanded in 1950
Victor Vifquain, Camp-at-Large was established in 1996 by George Schulz.
Department of Nebraska, ReEstablished on June 25, 2000.
Charter was presented by Commander-in-Chief, Danney Wheeler from New York in Nebraska City at the GAR Hall.
There were 3 Camps in Nebraska in 2010.
Camp No. 1, Victor Vifquain Camp, Omaha, named after Victor Vifquain, buried in Calvary Cemetery, Lincoln, Medal of Honor
Camp No. 2 Shiloh Camp, Lincoln, named after battle of Shiloh
Camp No. 53-2, Harrison Camp, Wisner, named after General, President Harrison
Additional Camps added
Camp No. 0, John M. Thayer Camp, At-Large, named for General/Governor, John Thayer
Camp No. 3, Welstead Camp, Fremont, named after James C. Welstead
Department of Nebraska was renamed to include North and South Dakota