History of the State of Nebraska
Chicago: The Western Historical Company
A. T. Andreas, Proprietor
ilton [Hamilton], S. V. C.; J. B. Lacock, J. V. C.; George S. Cook. Adjt.; A. H. Campbell, Surgeon; A. D. Wyckoff, Chaplain; H. H. Bowker, D. M; H. C. Grove, O. D.; J. B. Farrel, O. G.
The press of York comprises three enterprising weekly journals, namely: The York Republican, York Tribune and York Times. The Republican is the oldest, and at this writing the official paper of the county. It was founded in the month of May, 1872, under the name of the York Monitor, by F. H. White, who conducted it until the fall of 1873, when he transferred it to E. F. Chittenden. Mr. Chittenden changed its name to the York Record, and was its editor and proprietor until April, 1875, at which date it passed into the hands of Messrs. Morgan and Ross, who issued one number and sold their interest to Messrs Scott and Miller. Its name was again changed to the Sentinel by these gentlemen and operated by them for six months. Mr. Miller sold his interest to F. H. Gerard, and the firm became Messrs. Scott & Gerard. It was under their management for a short time only, when Mr. Gerard became sole proprietor. In April, 1876, Messrs. Morgan and Ross purchased it and changed its name to the York Republican. On July 1, 1876, Lee Love purchased the interest of Mr. Ross and the firm became Messrs. Morgan & Ross. It was operated by them until December, 1878, when E. E. Post purchased Mr. Love's half interest. Mr. Post remained a partner with Mr. Morgan until the first of June, 1881, and then transferred his interest to A. L. McClellan and W. E. Dayton, and the firm became Morgan, McClellan & Dayton. Under the efficient management of these gentlemen it has taken a prominent place in the ranks of journalism, and has done much towards bringing its home city into the favorable notice of business men and settlers in York County.
In politics it supports the Republican standard and is an earnest advocate for the cause of temperance. In size it is a seven column folio, and is printed on a Campbell power press.
York County Tribune.The Tribune was inaugurated by Frank A. Wellman, and issued its first number in March, 1877. It was under the editorship of Mr. Wellman until the summer of 1880, at which time Messrs. Whedon and Culley became its proprietors. It was under their management for two years, until March 25, 1882, at which date Mr. J. C. Armstrong, its present owner, took possession. It is a neat journal, having many bright features and an eight column folio in size.
York Times.The Times was established August 13, 1880, at which date it issued its first number. It was founded by Messrs. Adams and Woolman, who retained their ownership until March, 1881, and then transferred it to T. E. Sedgwick, its present editor and proprietor. It is a five column quarto and a bright newsy sheet.
CHARLES B. ALLAN, general fire, life and accident insurance agent, came to Nebraska in 1872; settled first in Beaver Creek Precinct, York Co., where he taught school for three years, and was one of the first teachers in the county. At the expiration of that time he settled down in York, where he commenced reading law in the office of G. B. France, but soon abandoned that to take up the insurance business, of which he has made a specialty; being the only exclusive insurance agent in the county. In 1879 he was elected City Clerk of York, and is now serving on his third term. The subject of this sketch was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., July 11, 1856, being the son of Horace J. and Philinda G. Allan (nee Thrall), who were of Scotch and English descent. He received an education at the seminary in his native State, afterward coming West as above. He was married at York, in 1881, to Miss Effie Cutter, of Boston, Mass. He was an original member of the T. of H. at York, and the second recording secretary of that society; leader First Regimental N. N. G. Is a also a member of the Congregational Church.
JOHN W. ANDREWS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, Town 11, Range 2 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1870, and homesteaded 160 acres of land one mile north of York. He was one of the very first settlers on the divide lands north of Beaver Creek. He has since purchased forty acres more, and this in addition to his homestead, makes a fine farm130 acres being under cultivation, the remainder in pasture. He was born in Chittenden County, Vt., June 5, 1838; son of Isaac and Harriet Andrews (nee Farr), of old New England stock. They came to Henry County, Iowa, in 1853, and here John lived, going to school and working on the farm with his father, till 1861. In September of that year he enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, and veteranized in the same regiment in November, 1863. After serving till the close of the rebellion, he returned to Iowa and engaged at farming. Mr. Andrews has been Assessor of his precinct one term. He has been married twice. The first time in February, 1861, to Miss Mary J. Barnes, of Iowa, who died September 30, 1867. She had three children, two of whom are living, Leonard F. and Milo M. He married his present wife, Mary J. Milligan, in September, 1878, by whom he has one sonHerman.
EDWARD E. ARMOR, Superintendent of Public Instruction in York County, came to Nebraska in 1872, with his parents, Thomas C. and Mary B. Armor, who settled on Section 18, Town 9, Range 3 west, in Henderson Precinct. The subject of this sketch was born in Green County, Wis., receiving his education in the High School at Lodi, Columbia Co., same State. After coming to Nebraska he engaged at farming, teaching school during the winters, and in 1879 was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction in York County, and in 1881 was re-elected to that position. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York, also of the Good Templars at that place, and is a member of the State Teachers' Association.
BEHLING, MEISSNER & CO., dealers in general merchandise. This firm consists of Herman Behling, Charles Meissner and Charles Nicolai, who came from Oshkosh, Wis., and started this store. The main room is 24x80, with a room adjacent 25x50, the whole being filled with the largest and most complete stock of general merchandise to be found in the county. In 1881 they did a business of $65,000, this being an increase of $11,000 on their first year's sales. H. Behling, senior member of this firm, was born in Wisconsin, November 30, 1849, and was partner with the extensive firm of E. L. Hughes & Co., of Oshkosh, previous to coming to Nebraska. C. L. Meissner, of the above firm, is also a native of Wisconsin; born in Oshkosh, Wis., with Bigger & Clark Bros. Charles Nicolai was born in the same State as the above, December 23, 1854.
ANDREW J. BELL, clerk of the District Court, and of the firm of Bell & Cook, abstractors, came to Nebraska in July, 1867, and first located near Brownville, Nemaha Co., where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for two years; then went to Johnson, in the same county, where he operated a brick yard for one year, and afterward served as Deputy-Clerk and Sheriff for three years under Charles Woodley, Clerk, and C. F. Bryant, Sheriff. In the spring of 1875 changed his abode to Crete, Saline County, and commenced working at the harness trade, which he had previously learned at Dayton, Ohio, and in the year following came to York, where he was employed in the County Clerk's office until the fall of 1879. The people, being so well pleased at the efficient manner in which he discharged the duties and responsibilities of that position, elected him clerk of the District Court at the fall elections of the same year, which office he holds at this writing. The subject of this sketch was born in Dayton, Ohio, August 30, 1840, being the son of John S. and Zipporah Bell, nee Cock; received his literary education in his native State, graduating from the Dayton Central High School in 1859. At the breaking out of the rebellion he enlisted in the Thirty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H, and served three years, during which time he was in all the engagements of his regiment. He is one of the original members of the Robert Anderson Post No. 17, of the G. A. R., of York, and is commander of the same at this writing. Is also a member of I. O. O. F., in York Lodge, No 35, and a member of the K. of P., at Tecumseh, Neb. He was married in 1878, at York to Miss Lucy A. Young, who was born in Illinois, and is a daughter of C. R. Young, now a merchant of Hampton, Neb.
FRANK O. BELL, lumber merchant at York, came to Nebraska in April, 1871, settled in York where he opened a general merchandise store in company with his his brother J. H. The building in which they conducted their business was a small frame, then located near where the Central Hotel now stands, and had previously been occupied as a store by Ellwood [Elwood] Bros. They having abandoned the field the use of this building was donated (by Mrs. Goast [Ghost], the town agent then living at Lincoln) to F. O. Bell and brother for six months, the consideration being that they put in a stock of merchandise in order to start the town. At the expiration of three
BELL'S BLOCK.F. O. BELL, PROP.
years they started a lumber yard in York, which was the first one in the county. The first year's receipts being only twenty-five car loads, but the business increased until in 1878, received 268 car loads, a portion of which was consumed in Polk and Hamilton counties. He is also interested in a lumber yard at Ord, Valley County, this State; is also a shareholder and director in the Commercial State Bank of York. Mr. B. is a native of Pennsylvania, was born in Westmoreland County, December 3, 1848. When five years old, his parents moved to Ashland County, Ohio, where he remained until sixteen, then came west to Henry County, Iowa, where his occupation was that of a farmer until he came to Nebraska. Served as Postmaster of York, for three years, and was an original member of the Presbyterian Church at that place. He was married in the spring of 1874, in Henry County, Iowa, to Miss Anna E. Serviss, a native of Michigan. Mr. F. O. Bell is the proprietor of a handsome brick block, one of the finest in the city.
BIDWELL & CHAPIN, machinery house. Franklin A. Bidwell, senior member of this firm, was born in Livingston County, N. Y., February 22, 1836. He is the son of Luther and Lydia Bidwell, who were of New England parentage. His mother's name before marriage was Groff. His father died when Franklin was but a child, and after receiving an education in his native State he went to Wisconsin, in 1856, locating in Washington County. Here he was employed as school teacher, merchant and at various other occupations until 1867. Then came to Lancaster County, Neb., and started a general merchandise store on the old steam wagon road or cut-off to Fort Kearney, where he continued to do business until the capital was established at Lincoln. In 1870 he was employed in the land office of the B. & M. R. R., to dispose of their lands west of Lincoln, and in 1871 permanently located in York, as agent for them in that county, holding said position until 1877. In addition to this he dealt in grain, lumber, and agricultural implements. He was married to his first wife, Miss Nettie Howie, in Wisconsin, in 1868, who died in Nebraska, in 1869. Was married the second time at York, Neb., in May, 1872, to Miss Maria S. Hice, this being the first marriage ceremony performed in that town. Mr. Bidwell has been one of the school directors most of the time since his residence at York, and is one of the original members of the Congregational Church at said place. Rev. Henry H. Chapin, of the above firm, came to York in the spring of 1876, and commenced dealing in lumber and agricultural implements, but has since dropped the former business, the firm being devoted exclusively to all kinds of farm machinery, wagons, etc., and the most extensive dealers in the county. He was born in Saline County, N. Y., January 3, 1842, and in 1872 entered the ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in Pennsylvania. Is now pastor of the Waco Circuit, Neb. He was married in February, 1879, to Miss Sudie Knapp.
RICHARD D. BOOKER, farmer, Section 14, Town 10, Range 3 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871. He located first at Lincoln, but in the spring following came to York County, and took up a homestead of eighty acres, which he now has under a state of high cultivation, with all the improvements and conveniences pertaining to a well regulated farm. He also has a lot of choice fruit trees. Mr. B. was born in Sullivan County, Ind., July 15, 1837; moved with his parents to Illinois in 1852. In 1858 Mr. Booker was married to Miss Harriet W. Hasting. She was born in Ohio in the year 1840. She died in the year 1861, leaving one child, Melissa A. In 1863 he was married again to Miss Sarah E. Reed, by whom he has had six childrenHarriet P., now married to M. D. Chambers; Luetta M., Minnie J., Laura B., William A., and Courtney A. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
LORENZO D. BRAKEMAN, farmer, Section 4, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, September 8, 1824. He is the son of Lewis S. and Elizabeth Brakeman. His mother's maiden name was Coon. They moved to Pennsylvania when Lorenzo D. was but a boy, and here he received a limited education, and worked on the farm with his father. He was a soldier in the late war, in the One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, Company H. After the war he returned to Pennsylvania, where he remained until the spring of 1870, when he came to Nebraska, making the entire trip from Mercer County, Pennsylvania, to his present home in this State in a wagon with his wife and nine children. They landed in York County September 4, 1870, and on the 4th of January, 1871, his wife died, whom he had married in Pennsylvania, March 11, 1846. Her maiden name was Sarah Thompson. She was buried in York Cemetery. This was one of the first deaths in the precinct. He was married to his present wife, Mrs. Mary A. Kenison, whose maiden name was Cross, April 29, 1875. They are both members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York. Mr. Brakeman was one of the original members of this church.
REV. DAVID BROADWELL, farmer, Section 23, Town 10, Range 3 west, P. O. York, was born in Orange County, Ind., September 2, 1822. He is a son of Henry and Elizabeth Broadwell, whose maiden name was Polson. He received an academic education in his native State, and was engaged in agricultural pursuits till
You may link to these records, but do not frame, copy, or reproduce them without written permission.
Copyright © 1997-2003, York County Historical Association, or the compiler. All rights reserved.