History of the State of Nebraska
Chicago: The Western Historical Company
A. T. Andreas, Proprietor
1863, when he was ordained Deacon in the Methodist Episcopal Church, but had previous to this time been licensed to preach, which he did in addition to farming and part of the time taught school. He married March 28, 1850, in Indiana, Miss Catharine Welty. He lived for fifteen years in Gibson County, of that State, and in 1872 came to Nebraska. He purchased 160 acres of land from the B.& M.R.R.Co., and in the spring of the year following moved his family from their former home in Indiana. Here he has lived, improving his farm and laboring for the cause of Christianity. He now has one 100 acres under cultivation, and a six acre grove of timber. His family consists of five girls and two boys.
STEPHEN P. BUCKMASTER, Deputy County Clerk of York County, came to Nebraska October 19, 1869, and took up a claim on Section 4, Town 10, Range 3 west, York Precinct, and four miles west of the present city of York. This he homesteaded, and was among the very first settlers in the precinct, making this his home until 1879. In the fall of 1871 his political career began, being then elected County Judge, which position he held two years, discharging the duties of that office ably and efficiently. He has also served as Clerk at various times in the offices of the Clerk and County Treasurer, assisting in the duties of the said office, and has always taken an active part in the public enterprises for the good and welfare of his town and county. He was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, January 29, 1848, being the son of George W. and Sarah Buckmaster, who were of German and English extraction; his mother's maiden name was Chantry. His parents moved to Missouri in 1855, and were living there at the outbreak of the rebellion. His father enlisted in the Twenty-first Missouri Volunteer Infantry, Company B, and died while in service, May 13, 1862, at St. Louis, from disease contracted in the army. His mother and her children then returned to Iowa, where the subject of this sketch lived until he came to Nebraska, in 1869. In the following spring he returned to Iowa, and married Esther Bowles, April 14, 1870. His family now consists of two sons and two daughters. Mr. B. and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York. He belongs to the York Lodge, No. 35, I.O.O.F.
RICHARD CARSCADDEN, M. D., homoeopathic physician and surgeon, was born in Canada, February 1, 1840, where he received his literary education, having attended the Albert College for some time. In 1863 he came to the United States and entered the Medical Department University of Michigan, and remained one year. Came to Chicago and studied in Prof. R. Dexter's office as a private student for over a year. In 1865 attended lectures in Rush Medical College, graduating in the class of 1866, after which he attended lectures in Hahnemann Medical College (homoeopathic). He practiced as an old school physician for nearly three years, but since 1869 has been in the homoeopathic practice. In 1868 he removed to Sharon, Walworth County, Wis., at the end of five years located in De Pere, Brown County, Wis., where he resided when he came to Nebraska on account of failing health in the spring of 1879, and located at York, and has since practiced his profession, being the only physician of his school in the county, and Vice-President of the Nebraska State Homoeopathic Medical Association. He was married at Wheaton, Ill., in 1871, to Miss Clara A. Sedgwick. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York.
WILLIAM G. CHAPMAN, merchant, was born in Beaver County, Penn., May 30, 1843, son of John and Margaret Chapman. His father was of English and Welch descent, and a descendant of Samuel Chapman, one of the very first settlers west of the Ohio River. His mother, whose maiden name was Seager, was of German extraction. The subject of this sketch received a liberal education, and then worked on a farm with his parents, and at various occupations till 1863, then enlisted with Company K, of the Sixty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and after serving one year was transferred to One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Zouaves, and in this served till the close of the war, taking part in twenty-two principal battles, and during this time was promoted to Corporal. In September, in May 1871, moved to Nebraska, and took up a homestead in York County, Section 6, Town 9, Range 4, west, Henderson Precinct, and was among the first settlers on the tableland of the precinct. Here he lived improving his land till August, 1881, when he started a grocery and confectionery store in York. He was the first school director of district No. 31, and was also constable of Henderson Precinct. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge No. 35, and one of the G. A. R. Robert Anderson Post No. 32. Mr. Chapman was married December 24, 1868, in Iowa to Miss Barbara Seifert, who was born in Schenectady County, N.Y., by whom he has five children, William W., John T., Ella, Nettie and Albert.
CHESSMAN & DAVIDSON, grain and stock dealers, York. George P. Chessman, of this firm, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1873, but did not locate at York till the following spring. First started in the lumber trade, and in the fall of 1874 bought and shipped the first grain from York, adopting that as his business. He was born in Cumberland County, N.J., December 20, 1835. His parents removed to DuPage County, Ill., in 1852, where George P. enlisted in 1861 in the Eighth Illinois Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, under Col. Farnsworth, of Illinois. After the war he returned to Illinois and farmed until he came to Nebraska. Was married in DuPage County, Ill., October 30, 1865, to Martha, daughter of Rev. S. S. Harrison, one of the early settlers of said county. He is a member of the Congregational Church. Joseph M. Davidson, of the above firm, is a native of Tompkins County, N. Y., born January 13, 1841. Removed to LaSalle County, Ill., with his parents, in 1853. Here he was employed as a farmer till 1863, when he commenced the grain business. This he followed in Illinois until 1877, when he came to York, Neb., and became associated with the above firm. They were proprietors of the first steam elevator at York, and have one both at Waco, York County, and at Aurora, Hamilton County. To show the advancement of the products of the county, since Mr. Chessman's first years' shipments, of 51 carloads, we quote the following figures, taken from their books for 1881: From York they shipped of wheat, 100 carloads, corn 120, flax 10, barley 7, rye 8, and hogs 40. From Waco, wheat 125, corn 110, barley 10, rye 5, and hogs 36. From Aurora, Hamilton County, wheat 145 and corn 75. Total, 851 carloads.
ANSON B. CODDING, County Surveyor, and Land Agent of York County, is the son of Robert F. and Charlotte E. Codding, was born in Ontario County, N.Y., January 19, 1835. His parents were of English descent, and in 1837, changed their place of abode in the State of New York, to Summit County, Ohio, and his father engaged at farming, surveying and insurance agent. Anson B. acquired a common school education, devoting his leisure hours to the study of surveying. At the age of fifteen years, entered the Oberlin College, where he studied higher mathematics and surveying for one and a half years, then returned home and taught school during the winter months, and attended Baldwin Institute in Berea, Ohio, some of the time, till 1855. From this time until 1872, he was principally engaged at school teaching, but in the mean time went to Minnesota for two years, and with a civil engineer, helped survey town plats, and the sub-division of sections, near St. Peter. In the spring of 1872, Mr. C. came to Nebraska, and settled a homestead on Section 34, Town 12, Range 3 west, Houston Precinct, York County, where he had homesteaded the fall previous. While there, he served one term as Justice of the Peace, and in 1875, having been elected Surveyor of York County, removed to the town of York, and has been re-elected to the office five consecutive terms. He has also been City Engineer of York ever since its incorporation as a city, and one term as Councilman, and has always taken an active part in the advancement of the public enterprises of his town and county. Mr. C., his wife and children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, York. Mrs. Codding's maiden name was Louisa W. Wirt, born in Summit County, Ohio. They were married in Lee County, Ill., in 1858. They are the parents of three children, livingMinnie E., Roy G. and Robbie A. Mr. C. owns 280 acres of farm land, all under his own supervision.
ISAAC CRABLE, farmer, Section 8, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in May, 1869, and homesteaded the land on which he now lives. He was the second settler in York Precinct, L. F. Wyman having preceded him about six months. Mr. Crable was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, March 1, 1821. He is the son of Abraham and Sarah Crable. His father is of German descent. His mother's maiden name was Davis. When he was fourteen years of age, his parents moved to Vermillion Co., Ill., and engaged in agricultural pursuits, and here the subject of this sketch received his education. September 15, 1841, he was married to Miss Rachel Watts, and in 1854, removed with his family to Boone County, Iowa, where he followed farming, and thence to Nebraska, as above. Both he and his wife are original members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at York. He has two sonsJohn James and Frank Robert.
CHARLES F. DAY, farmer, Section 18, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in March, 1871, and homesteaded the land described above, and was among the early settlers in the precinct. He was born in Luzerne County, Pa., September 23, 1846, the son of Layton and Susan Day, nee Ward, who died when Charles F. was but a small boy, leaving four children, of whom he was the youngest. Consequently the family was scattered, and the subject of this sketch went to live with Mr. L. Gilbert, and went with him to Iowa, when eleven years old. At the age of thirteen, he was thrown upon his own resources, and worked out by the month among the farmers. In November, 1862, he enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, and served till the close of the Rebellion, when he returned to Iowa, and resumed his former occupation, farming. Was married there in November, 1868, to Miss Laura Pierce, a native of Vermont. He is a member of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, also of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35.
HORTON M. DETRICK, farmer, Section 30, Township 11, Range 2 west, P.O., York, is a Pennsylvanian, born October 26, 1835, in Luzerne County, Wilkes-barre. He is the son of Jacob and Hannah Detrick, who were both of German lineage. Horton M. lived at home with his parents, going to school and working for his father, who was a contractor and builder, until 1856. Then emigrated with his father to Iowa, where his father purchased a farm, which he helped to run in addition to following his trade. In September, 1862, he enlisted in the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, Company D, and in 1864 veteraned in the same regiment and afterward served until the close of the Rebellion, and was wounded in the right shoulder at Columbus, Ga., in the last battle of his regiment. Mr. D. made his home in Iowa till the spring of 1871, when he came to Nebraska, and homesteaded the land described above, consisting of 160 acres, one mile north of the city of York. He has it all under a high state of cultivation, with a beautiful grove and a nice young orchard. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. York Lodge, No. 35, being initiated at the first meeting of the same. He was married in Iowa to Miss Jennie C. Andrews, formerly from Virginia. They are the parents of five childrenEffie E. Jesse W., Estella N., Hiram E. and Lula.
JOHN A. EATHERLY, broker, York, came to Nebraska in August, 1867, locating at Plattsmouth, where he was employed as clerk in a general merchandise store until 1868. Then went to Milford, where he started the first store in the town in company with J. E. Doom. In 1871, the firm was changed to Cummins & Eatherly and remained so until the fall of 1873, when Mr. Eatherly removed to Gage County. In May, 1874, he came to York and opened a store, in company with his former partner, Cummins. In 1876 he bought out his partner's interest, running it himself till 1879, when he was elected County Clerk of York. He was born in Wilson County, Tenn., April 9, 1848. He was married in York in 1876, to Miss Euphia Wilson, who was born in Scotland.
ALBERT E. FINCH, stock raiser, residence York, came to Nebraska in April, 1881, settling at York, where he opened a loan and broker's office. In the fall of the same year started a stock ranch in Custer County, Neb., where he now owns a section of land, 200 acres of it being under cultivation. Owns 350 head of graded cattle, employing three men to take care of them and operate his farm. The subject of this sketch was born in Greene County, N.Y., Town of Greenville, on the 4th of February, 1842. Son of Salvinas and Mary E. Finch, nee Meade, who were both natives of that State. Was employed in the city of Albany, by the firm of Mather Bros., wholesale grocery house, as collecting agent, which position he retained for twelve years, resigning it to come West. Was married in Albany County, N.Y., Town of Westerlo, December 26, 1867, to Elizabeth Winston, a native of that State.
GEORGE B. FRANCE, attorney-at-law, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1868 locating at Milford, Seward County, where he was appointed Deputy County Clerk under William A. Reed, and in connection with this official duty taught school during the winter of 1868 and 1869, being the first public school teacher in the Village of Milford. In the fall of 1869, he was elected first School Superintendent of Seward County, his territory also extending over York County, which was attached to Seward for judicial purposes until York County was organized. This position he held for three consecutive terms, his time expiring January 4, 1876. Then came to York and continued the practice of law, exclusively. Here he has since made his home and practiced his profession. The subject of this sketch was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, January 10, 1837, being the son of Adam and Lydia France. His mother's maiden name was Griffith. He received his literary education at Oberlin College, in the State in which he was born. In 1861, he enlisted at LaPorte, Ind., in the Twenty-first Indiana Battery, and served until August 8, 1862, when he met with an accident caused by the explosion of artillery ammunition at University Springs, on the Cumberland Mountains, in Tennessee. This so disabled him that he was unfit for further service, and he returned home. He took a regular law course at Ann Arbor, Mich., where he graduated in the spring of 1868, and during the same year was a political speaker throughout the State of Indiana for Grant's campaign. He was married September 1, 1874, to Edith M., daughter of Abraham and Sallie Courtright, of Seward County, Neb. He is a charter member of the Blue River Lodge, No. 30, of the A., F. & A. M., and has been a member of the Grand Lodge of the Masonic Society since 1871. He is now a member of the York Lodge, No. 56, and has served two years as master of the same.
MARTIN C. FRANK, junior member of Scott & Frank, is a native of Indiana, having been born in Harrison County, on the 15th of February, 1855. After receiving a common school education, he read law in the office of Judge Mason at Cannelton, Ind., and was first admitted to the bar in 1878. Came to Nebraska in 1879, and was re-admitted to the bar here the same year, after which he became associated with the above firm. Was married at York, November 15, 1880, to Miss Lizzie Keller, who was born in the same State as himself.
LEMUEL J. GANDY, real estate agent, etc., is a native of West Virginia, born December 23, 1840, in Preston County. His parents were Samuel and Catherine Gandy, nee Mathew. His mother was of German extraction, his father a descendent from the early English settlers of Jamestown, Va. In 1851 they emigrated to Iowa, locating in Davis County, where the subject of this sketch received a common school education, and worked on the farm with his father. In 1861 he enlisted in Company H. of the Seventh Iowa Volunteer infantry, and served for nine months, after which he was discharged, ill health unfitting him for further service. He returned home and finished his course of education at the Troy Academy of Iowa. In 1865 Mr. Gandy was married to Margaret C. Rouch, removing to Adams County, same State and engaged at farming. During the fall of 1870 came to Nebraska, and in April of the year following, took up a soldiers' claim of 160 acres, on Section 22, Township 11, Range 3 west, York Precinct. On this he lived two years, improving it, then engaged in merchandising in York till the fall of 1873. Mr. Gandy was elected County Treasurer of York, for four consecutive terms, the last expiring January 1, 1882. He filled this position with credit to himself and the people who placed him there, but his political opponents sought to ruin his official career by trying to impeach his integrity, but after a thorough investigation by the County Commissioners and experts employed by them to sift the matter in the most satisfactory manner possible, it was proved that there was not the slightest cause to find fault with any of Mr. Gandy's accounts or records, and this was so declared by the report of E. A. Morgan, an expert accountant, and endorsed by the County Commissioners, as follows: "After critical examination, we find that all moneys received by the County Treasurer, L. J. Gandy, from State apportionments, tax collections, licenses, etc., have been honestly and fully accounted for, by him, and balance paid to his successor." Mr. Gandy is a charter member of York Lodge, No. 35, I.O.O.F., also of Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, G.A.R. His family comprises three children: Carrie J., Elmer L., Ettie E., and had a son who died December 23, 1872, at the age of five years.
WILLIAM W. GIFFEN, County Judge of York County, came to Nebraska in 1875, locating in Crete, Saline Co. Remained there but a short time and then entered the Iowa State University, at Iowa City, where he graduated in the law class of 1876, and soon after took a trip through California, from which he returned and settled at York, Neb., in June, 1877, where he began practicing his profession, which was that of a lawyer. In the spring following was elected City Treasurer of York, serving in that capacity for three terms, and in the fall of 1881 was elected to his present position. Mr. Giffen is a native of Westmoreland County, Pa., born December 14, 1853. Received an academic education at Sewickley, in his native State, and was afterward a student of Knox College, at Galesburg, Ill. He is a member of the Temple of Honor. He was married in Johnson County, Neb., to Miss Re Ella Bryson. They are both members of the Presbyterian Church, at York.
LIEUT. JAMES H. HAMILTON, Sheriff of York County, came to Nebraska in the winter of 1876, settling in Houston Precinct, York Co., on Section 2, Township 12, Range 3, west, where he purchased 160 acres of land. Here he lived improving his farm until 1878, when he moved to York, and was appointed Deputy Sheriff. under J. P. Miller and in the fall of 1881 succeeded that gentleman as County Sheriff. Was born in Shelby County, Ind., on the 6th of April, 1842, being the son of William and Nancy Hamilton, nee Bilsingson. They removed to Hancock County, Ill., when James H. was but a small child, where they followed farming till 1855, and then emigrated to Wapello County, Iowa. Here the subject of this sketch was liv-
Continue to page 1496 | Return to Index Page
You may link to these records, but do not frame, copy, or reproduce them without written permission.
Copyright © 1997-2003, York County Historical Association, or the compiler. All rights reserved.