History of the State of Nebraska
Chicago: The Western Historical Company
A. T. Andreas, Proprietor
ing at the breaking out of the Rebellion, when he enlisted for the first three months call, in the First Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company E. In March 1862, re-enlisted in the Seventeenth Iowa Infantry Volunteers, Company E. and veteraned in the same regiment in 1863, serving till the close of the war, and during this time was commissioned first to Second Sergeant, and afterward Second Lieutenant of Company E. Then returned to Iowa and resumed farming, where he lived till his removal to Nebraska. Is a member of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, and of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35. He was married in Iowa, October 26, 1865, to Miss Lucy Graves, who was born in Ohio, and by whom he has two children: Thomas E. and and Katie E.
ALBERT E. HENDRICKS, furniture dealer and undertaker, was born in Wapello County, Iowa, March 8, 1845. He is the son of John J. and Ellen Hendricks, nee Shannon, the former of German and the latter of Irish descent. In 1854 they emigrated to Missouri, his father being a farmer. Albert E. went to Kentucky, but returned to Missouri in 1860. He was a soldier in the United States army during the Rebellion, enlisting in February, 1862, in the Second Missouri M. S. M. Cavalry and served a little more than two years. Then re-enlisted in theThirteenth Missouri Veteran Cavalry and served until May 20, 1866. Returned to Missouri and engaged in various occupations till March, 1871, when he came to Nebraska and took up a soldier's claim on Section 2, Town 10, Range 3 West, York Precinct, which he afterwards homesteaded. Was employed in the lightning rod business in connection with farming until December, 1881, when he embarked in the above business in York. He was census enumerator in Baker Precinct for 1880. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35, and of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32. He was married in Henry County, Iowa, in 1869, to Martha A. Barns, a native of that State.
CHARLES HILL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, Town 11, Range 3 west, P.O. York, is a native of England. Was born in Yorkshire, June 4, 1840. He is the son of Charles and Mary Hill, nee Train, who emigrated to the United States in 1850. They settled in Clinton County, Iowa, where the subject of this sketch went to school and worked on his father's farm until 1861. Then became a soldier in the Rebellion enlisting in the Eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company A, but after serving for eleven months was discharged on account of ill health, caused from exposure in the army. After recovering, he enlisted with Company D, of the Twenty-sixth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, in the latter part of 1862, and served until the close of the war. Returned to Iowa and resumed farming with his parents till 1867, when he was married to Miss Rosa Echelburger, who was born in Ohio. He then commenced farming for himself and in the spring of 1870 came to Nebraska and homesteaded the place where he now lives. Owns 160 acres of which 110 are under plow, the remainder fenced for pasture for his stock of which he has about eighty head of graded cattle, besides horses, hogs, and other stock. Mr. Hill's family contains seven children: Nellie K., Lorenzo D., Charles A.W., George M., Bird E., Owen B., and Reno. The eldest boy, Lorenzo, was the first white child born in York Precinct.
DAVID I. HUNTER, farmer, Section 25, Town 11, Range 3 west, P.O. York, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1877, and purchased the land upon which he now lives. This consists of 240 acres of excellent farm land but was entirely unbroken when he bought it. He now has 190 acres under plow and forty acres of pasture. His farm is only one and one-half miles north of York and is surrounded by a row of box-elder trees one and one-half miles long. The subject of this sketch was born in Miami County, Ohio, March 2, 1851. He was the son of John G. and Lottie Hunter, who were of Scotch origin. His mother's maiden name was Erwin. He removed to Winnebago County, Ill., with his parents when but a small boy where he remained, engaged at farming, till his removal to this State. His parents are both members of the Presbyterian Church, York.
NATHAN JOHNSON, farmer, Section 20, Town 10, Range 2 west, P.O. York was born in Kent County, R.I., November 15, 1840. While a boy his parents removed to New York State and in 1861 he enlisted in the Rebellion, Forty-ninth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company D., and after serving for over three years was taken prisoner at the battle of the Wilderness and kept five months in confinement at Andersonville and about the same length of time at Florence, S.C. He received a gunshot wound in the right hip in May, 1863, at the battle of Chancellorsville. He then returned to New York, and during the winter of 1866 came to Jefferson County, Iowa, where he engaged at farming for a short time. Then left Iowa and went to Illinois, but at the expiration of two years returned to Iowa, where he remained until his removal to this State in the fall of 1871. Took up a homestead and in the following spring moved out his family. His wife's maiden name was Eleanor Graham, to whom he was married in Iowa, November 1, 1867. He is a member of the G. A. R., Robert Anderson Post, No. 32.
JOHN C. KILNER, farmer, residence one mile south of York, was formerly from England; was born in Yorkshire. His parents were William and Sarah Kilner, old residents of Yorkshire; his father being an extensive glass bottle manufacturer. John C. followed this occupation from 1869 to 1876, and was then sent to America in charge of a collection of their good to be put on exhibition at the Centennial Exposition. The firm of Kilner Bros., of which he was the junior member, received a medal for the best and finest lot on exhibition. During the same year Mr. Kilner made a visit to his brother in York County, Neb., and being very favorably impressed with the country, concluded to stay here. Went into partnership with his brother in farming and stock-raising, and bought 1,120 acres of land in Stewart Precinct. He then went back to England, but during the spring following returned to America and settled on his farm. Here he lived until the spring of 1882, when he moved to his present residence. His brother having met with a serious accident, being kicked by a horse, had returned to England for treatment, consequently they had dissolved partnership. The subject of this sketch owns over 720 acres of good farm land, 560 of it under plow, and the remainder fenced for pasture for stock, of which he has over 100 head graded. Mr. Kilner is secretary of the York County Agricultural Society, and is a gentleman well adapted to fill this position, as he is greatly interested in the agricultural advancement of the county and the success of the same. His wife was Miss Lenna Hammond, one of the first settlers in York, Neb.
DR. WILLIAM M. KNAPP, physician and surgeon, was born in Steuben County, N.Y., January 20, 1847. After receiving an academic course of education, he entered the Medical College at Detroit, Mich., where he took a series of lectures, and the same year became a student of the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was a graduate in the spring of 1872. He then practiced one year at Macomb, Ill., and in 1873 came West, settling in York, Neb. Here he resumed the practice of his profession, and is now the oldest resident physician in York and Hamilton counties. He is a member of both the Nebraska State Medical Society and the Central Nebraska Medical Association, being Vice-President of the former in 1880, and President of the latter at this writing. He is surgeon for the B. & M, R. R. Co. at York, and represented York and Hamilton counties in the State Senate one term. He was an original member of the York Lodge, No. 56. A. F. & A. M., and first Master of the said lodge, and also one of the organizing members of Robert Anderson Post, No. 17, of the G. A. R. He was a soldier in the late rebellion, enlisting in 1864, in the Fiftieth New York Volunteer Engineers, and serving until the close of the same. He was married in York, in 1876, to Miss E. A. Beecher, a teacher in the public school of that place, and formerly from Illinois.
JOHN S. KNOTT, dealer in general merchandise, York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1862, locating at Nebraska City. Commenced freighting across the plains, but on the second trip stopped in Colorado, and kept toll-gate nine miles east of Denver. After pursuing this two years, he went to Montana and mined for a short time; then returned to Nebraska and went into the grain business, at Peru, but abandoning this, he followed various occupations till the fall of 1877, when he came to York and started as a merchant in a small way. Has since moved into a large store with an increased stock, and now does an annual business of $20,000. He is a native of Marion County, Ky.; born May 18, 1834. Was married in Missouri, in 1860, to Miss Mollie Burns, a native of Buchanan County, that State, by whom he has three childrenJennie E., Lena and James P.
C. LANGWORTHY, President of the York County Bank, came to Nebraska in the spring of 1877, and established the above bank. This is run in connection with the Seward County Bank at Seward, and does a general banking business throughout Seward and York Counties. In 1881 he erected the large building in which he now does business, being 21x50, two stories high and fronting on Lincoln avenue and Sixth street. Is furnished with an excellent fire and burglar proof vault, besides a double steel burglar chest, and a Yale time lock. Mr. Langworthy had formerly been cashier of the Monticello National Bank, in Iowa, and has been connected with the banking business for fourteen years. This Iowa bank had a capital of $50,000, and was run two years as a national bank, being then incorporated under the State charter of Iowa, with a stock company, and the capital increased to $100,000. The subject of this sketch was born in Dubuque County, Iowa, May 4, 1844, where he received his education, being a graduate of the Commercial College there. He is the owner of nearly 1,400 acres of land in York County, and a member of the A. F. & A. M., Monticello Lodge, Iowa. A. C. Ward, cashier of this bank, is a native of Genesee County, N. Y., and a graduate of Lafayette College in Easton, Pa., a gentleman fully competent and able to fill the responsible position with which he is entrusted.
ROBERT E. LEACH, farmer and stock raiser, Section 26, Town 11, Range 3, west, P.O. York, came to this State in July, 1870, located at Lincoln, where he farmed in Lancaster County one year, and in January, 1872, came to York County, and homesteaded 160 acres, which is now one of the finest improved farms in the county. He has a fine grove of his own planting, also a lot of choice grapevines and fruit trees, and a good comfortable frame residence and excellent out-buildings, in fact it seems almost incredible that so much could be accomplished in so short a space of time. The subject of this sketch was born at Leon, N. Y., August 21, 1844, son of Eli E. and Juliette Leach, nee Sanders, who removed to Outagamie County, Wis., when Robert L. was but five years of age. In 1863 he became a soldier of the Rebellion, enlisting in Company I, of the Thirty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Served till the close of the war, and then returned to Wisconsin, where he was employed at farming and lumbering till his removal to Nebraska. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35, being one of the first members of said lodge. He married, September 1, 1872, Mary E., daughter of L. D. Brakeman, of York Precinct, the ceremony performed at the residence of the bride's father. They have a family of seven children, Juliette S., Chloe I., Minnie M., Lily J., Mary B., Garfield, and an infant daughter unnamed.
CHARLES LE COUNT, senior member of the firm of Le Count Bros., hardware merchants, came to York County, Neb., in October, 1869, and took up a homestead on Section 24, Town 10, Range 1, west, Beaver Creek Precinct. In 1872 he started a hardware store at York, in a small building 16x20, this being the first store in that line in the county. But times having changed and his trade and stock increased to such an extent that it now takes a building 120x20 to comply with it all. He has served as a member of the City Council of York several terms, and was one of the original members of the Universalist Church in this city, being the donor of the lot on which this edifice stands. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35, and was an original member of York Lodge, No. 561, of the A., F. & A. M., and has officiated as Treasurer ever since its organization. The subject of this sketch was born in Wayne County, N. Y., June 9, 1828, and is the son of John H. and Esther Le Count, nee Smith; his father of French and his mother of English descent. They left New York State in 1835 and went to Michigan, from there to Ohio, and in 1850 to Dodge County, Wis., where Charles made his home until his emigration to Nebraska. He was married in 1852, in Wisconsin, to Jane A. Littlefield, who was born in Readsboro, Vt. They have four children living, Adelaide A., John C., Charles A., and Laura M.
JOHN LETT, dealer in all kinds of seeds, came to York County in May, 1871, and took up a homestead on Section 32, Town 11, Range 3, West, North Blue Precinct, which was a soldiers claim of 160 acres. On this he resided till 1877, when he moved into York, where he engaged at various occupations. In 1881, commenced his present business, of which he has made a decided success. He was elected Assessor of York Precinct in the fall of 1880, and re-elected in 1881. Was born in Richland County, Ohio, February 28, 1842. When but a small lad, came with his parents, Abraham and Elizabeth Lett, to Iowa, and were among the early settlers of Cedar County. His mother's maiden name was Barnhart. Here he lived, working on the farm, and acquiring an education, till the breaking out of the Rebellion, in 1861, when he enlisted with Company E, of the Eleventh Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and served three years and eleven months, taking an active part in all the engagements of his regiment. Mr. Lett was married in 1865, in Iowa, to Miss Carrie Draucker, of Pennsylvania. They are members of the Presbyterian Church, York, and are both earnest workers in that society. Mr. L. was one of the instigators and original members of Robert Anderson Post, No. 32, G. A. R., and was the first Adjutant, and second Commander of the same.
NILS P. LUNDEEN, B. & M. Land Agent and real estate broker, was born in Sweden, April 22, 1850. Emigrated to the United States in 1870, first locating at Burlington, Iowa, where he was engaged at various occupations until January, 1873, when he was employed by the B. & M. R. R. Co., in their land office in that place, being finally appointed their agent for York County, and moved here. He is Notary Public of York County, and was appointed by Gov. Nance, as First Lieutenant of the Nebraska National Guards. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., York Lodge, No. 35, and also of the Swedish Church, at this place. He was married October 30, 1874, in Burlington, Iowa, to Miss Anna L. Broman, a native of his county. They have four children-Nellie A., Hellen P., Elmer T. and Oscar.
BENJAMIN F. MARSHALL, wagon and carriage manufactory, machine and repair shop. This gentleman came to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, and took a claim in York County, Section 22, Town 11, Range 3, West, York Precinct. This he homesteaded, and began to improve, at the same time started a blacksmith shop, one of the very first in the county, and had customers who came forty miles to get work done. In 1877, he removed his shop to York, opening in a small 20x30 building, which in the fall of the same year, was replaced by a two-story 32x60 building. His shop is supplied with three forges, and a ten horse power steam engine, and he does the most extensive business of the kind in the county. The subject of this sketch was born in Canada, December 12, 1844. Came to the United States in 1869, locating in Illinois, where he was employed at his trade till his removal to Nebraska. He married at Columbus, this State, June 18, 1872, Miss Sarah J. Pursel, a native of Pennsylvania. They are original members of the United Brethren Church, of York County, and erected the first residence in York. Their family is composed of five children-Laura O., Walter J., Fred, Arthur and Bertha F.
LIEUTENANT JAMES P. MILLER, stock raiser, and ex-County Sheriff of York, came to Nebraska in the fall of 1870, taking up a homestead on Section 12, Town 10, Range 3, West, in York Precinct, and one mile west of the present site of the city of York. Was among the very early settlers of that precinct, the population not exceeding ten families at the time of his advent. In the fall of 1873, was elected County Sheriff, and to this office he was re-elected four consecutive terms, the people thereby expressing their faith in his adroitness and integrity. Lived on the farm until 1878, when he moved to the city of York, where he has since made his home. Was one of the charter members of York Lodge, No. 35, I. O. O. F., organized in 1874, and the first lodge of that fraternity established in the county. The subject of this sketch was born in Franklin County, Ohio, on the 29th of April, 1834. Enlisted in December, 1863, in Company D, of the Fourth Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, serving till the close of the Rebellion. At the battle of Salem, Ala., he captured the flag of the Twelfth Mississippi Confederate Regiment, for which gallant act of meritorious service, he received a medal from Congress. Was afterward detailed to recruit a colored regiment at Atlanta, Ga., and was commissioned Second Lieutenant of Company F. Was married in June, 1873, in York, to Maria, daughter of David and Elvira Baker, who were the first settlers in Baker Precinct, and from whom the precinct derives its name.
DAVID T. MOORE, the son of John and Sarah Moore, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, on the 23rd day of September, year unknown, the family records having been lost. His father was the only son of John Moore, who came to America before the Revolution and was of Scotch descent. He was a soldier in the battle commonly called Braddock's defeat. After this he married a Miss McNairy, likewise of Scotch descent, and when the Revolution broke out he joined the patriot army and remained a soldier during the war. Report says that he arose from the ranks of the common soldier to that of a captain before the close of the war. The father of the subject of this sketch was a soldier for some time in the war of 1812, and after marrying a Miss Snowdon, of Virginia, settled in Wayne County, Ohio. When David was only five or six years old, his parents, with their family of eleven children, moved to Putnam County, in the western part of Ohio, then an almost unbroken wilderness, passing through a part of what has long been known as the Black Swamp, and although David was very young he still remembers vividly the corduroy roads, mud holes, broken wagons, and dead horses, the wild woods, and the still wilder Indians. After remaining in Putnam County about one year, and his father dying, his mother gathered her eleven children and returned to Wayne County, Ohio, where the mother being unable to provide for so many, David with his sister Malvina found a home in the family of a cousin, John Miller, of Holmes County, Ohio. Here, at about the age of nine years, he first saw the inside of a school room. He worked on the farm and attended the district school two and a half months each year until the age of sixteen. At this time a favorable opportunity occurring he taught the district school at $12 per month. After teaching success-
You may link to these records, but do not frame, copy, or reproduce them without written permission.
Copyright © 1997-2003, York County Historical Association, or the compiler. All rights reserved.