History of Bethlehem, New Hampshire

HOME

County Maps

Cemeteries

Town History

Early Settlers

Queries

Postcards

Links

NH GenWeb

Grafton County

Franconia

 
 

In 1774 Lloyd Hills was granted as a township.  It was situated between the towns of Littleton, Franconia and Lancaster. This hilly, unbroken wilderness, with the Ammonoosuc River running through its center, was named for Dr. James Lloyd  of Boston who had been granted a tract of land comprised of over 20,000 acres. 

 

      In 1787, the first settlers began to arrive at Lloyd Hills. They were Benjamin Brown and Jonas Warren.  In the spring of 1789, James and Mercy (Smith Parker) Turner came to the settlement.  By 1798, the town's residents formed a Committee for Bethlehem and drew up a formal act for incorporation.  It was signed by Nathaniel Snow, Amos Wheeler and Stephen Houghton.  The town of Lloyd Hills was known as Bethlehem for sometime before it became official on December 27, 1799.

 

      For several years Bethlehem was politically a part of Franconia.  Communal projects such as building bridges and repairing roads were done in conjunction with Franconia.  The first US Census has no Lloyd Hills or Bethlehem, whose citizens are listed under the town of Franconia. 

 

For more information click here