Place,Cilleyville, East+West Andover)
Postal Code: 03216 Elevation 475 Feet.
|Founded in 1779|
|Andover is a small, rural town in northern Merrimack County, New Hampshire. Surrounded by mountains, ski areas, lakes, and camping sites Andover is located 25 miles from Concord, 40 miles from Hanover and 90 miles from Boston. The Andover community mirrors a progressive town protecting its heritage.|
|Andover's current population is almost 2,000, living, in 26,000 acres that measure about 8 miles long and 4 miles wide. Prior to 1828, Andover was somewhat larger, including Webster lake & what is now west Franklin. Andover's historical society, is helping to locate, preserve, catalog, and disseminate historical data of interest to its citizens, and genealogists researching Andover heritage.|
most visible landmark on the main street of Andover is the Proctor
Academy. This school, founded in 1848, has a well documented
history. Its campus, located in a 250 acre central
green, amid the school's 2,000 acres of woodlands and mountain slopes,
affords many year-round activities. Proctor is a non-profit corporation
governed by a 39 member board of trustees. Proctor Academy archives
could offer an intimate and interesting glimpse into past life styles in
and around Andover.
the years 1870-1887 there were a total of seven covered bridges leading
in and out of Andover. All were built by local carpenters. Today, just
two of them remain as reminders of a slower, and kinder life style.
TO ACCESS COVERED BRIDGE INFORMATION CLICK ON THIS.
|All of the Andover vital records reside in Town Hall or in one of the two town Libraries. also available are several books dealing with Andover history, background and citizenry. Interested parties can read or examine them.|
Andover Historical Society maintains a large collection of historical
documents pertaining to the town and its people. Included are Town
Reports from approximately 1860 to present, and Town records (unindexed
and difficult to read) on microfilm going back to the original Town
Also, some of the older town cemeteries have been cataloged. The two
published Andover "Histories" provide a wealth of information,
albeit not indexed as yet. Several other historical monographs are
available with indexes and are quite useful. The historical society also
maintains a very interesting display of memorabilia at the antique
Potter Place railroad
station. This display is, in fact, a living museum in a building that
played an important role in the development of the area and its culture
during the 19th Century. The museum is open to visitors during the
summer months on Saturdays and Sundays, and at other times by prior
arrangement. The society will attempt to respond to research questions.
Their mailing address is follows:
The beginning of a railroad service was an important link for Andover. Citizens gained access to places not normally visited. The Potter Place Station was built in 1874 by the Northern Railroad in The Potter Place section of Andover. It was named for Andover resident Richard Potter. Mr. Potter was America's first professional magician and first African-American magician. In 1890 the station was taken over by the Boston and Maine Railroad.
Then transportation modes once again changed, and evolved. Increasingly the train fell into disuse, but service continued, until the last passenger train that left Potter Place was as recent as 1962. Today the Potter Place station is an important link with our heritage from yesteryear. It was transformed into a museum of memorabilia. A visit to this unique exhibit is an enjoyable stop, and well worth the effort. Hours: Saturdays 10AM - 3PM, Sundays 1-3PM. Open May 29th - October 12th. Admission Free.
Andover Town Offices are in the historic old school house building.
Town Clerk: Lorraine Locke
Phone: 735-5332 Fax: 603-735-6975
Vital Town Records can be obtained from her by written request.
Hours of operation:
Tue. & Thurs. 10-1PM, Wed. 6:30-8:30PM, Sat. 9-12
The cemeteries in Andover are very numerous. By actual account, there are 27 burying grounds for whose upkeep the town of Andover is responsible. These plots or ground range from family buying grounds to large well-maintained village cemeteries. The two most notable are the Lakeview Cemetery and the Proctor Cemetery. A record of the "residents" buried in each of them is not readily available because so many of them were private. Further information on all of the local cemeteries and their residents is available at the library.
|Available at the Library for reference and research are several volumes covering the early days of Andover. The most notable is The History of Andover 1751-1906 by John Eastman. This 450 page volume has been reprinted by the Rumford Press and is also available for sale at $50.00 per copy, either at the Town Hall or the Libraries.|
|There are 2 Andover libraries. Their combined hours are as follows: Wed. 9-12Noon, Tue. 1:30-5PM & 6:30-8:30 PM, Mon-Wed 6:30-8:30 PM, Thurs 6:30-8:30PM, Fri. 1:30-5:00 PM. Contact Pauline Richards at 603-735-5333 to verify times and locations.|
This page was created
by Clifford L. Coy