Brewster attended the Wolfeboro and Tuftonboro Academy in 1818.
Some sixty years later, under his will, the Academy charter was
amended and the name was changed to Brewster Free Academy -
to provide a free high school education to local students.
$500,000 to the school and his support was to continue as long as
the property remained tax exempt. It included a sizeable tract
between South Main Street and the lake front. John Brewster's Will
also stipulated that the school must be non-sectarian and students
must attend daily devotions and "divine services on Sunday."
"Formation of character" was to be the aim of the school.
Brewster Free Academy building was erected on a beautiful site
between South Main Street and Wolfeboro Bay, at a cost of $150,000.
This burned in 1903 and the present building opened in 1905. When Kingswood Regional High School opened in 1964, B.F.A. became
Brewster Academy, an important private school, which receives
some support under John Brewster's Will.