Site search Web search

 
powered by FreeFind

                                                              Home    | Site Index |    Contact                                          

                  


Church Documents

Congregational Church (Bridgewater, N.H.)
Records, 1818-1865.
1 v. (1 folder).
Church organized ca. 1818; formed branch of Holderness Congregational Church.
Extinct ca. 1865.
Manuscript copy.
Forms part of: Congregational Library Small Collections (RG 160).
Copied by Rev. George H. Ketchum at New Hampshire Antiquarian Society.
Received at an unknown date. Source unknown.
No access restrictions.

First Parish Church (Dover, N.H.)
Records, 1614-1862 [microfilm].
2 microfilm reels : positive ; 35 mm.
Church gathered in 1638; Mass. town from 1642-1679. Extant as Dover First Parish
Congregational UCC in 1996.

Parish records, 1614-1917; Jeremy Belknap (1744-1798) letters and miscellaneous
papers.
Microfilmed at: Dover, N.H. by the Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1967.
Deposit.
No access restrictions.

Congregational Church (Epsom, N.H.)
Records, 1784.
1 item (1 folder).
Church organized in 1761 as Union Congregational of New Rye, formerly
Congregational at Short Falls.

Church reorganized in 1886 and joined the United Church of Christ in 1977. Extant as
New Rye Union Congregational Church UCC in 1996.

Letter missive for a council to ordain Mr. Ebenezer Hazeltine, Jan. 21, 1784.

 Written to the church in Atkinson, Dec. 15, 1783.
Forms part of: Congregational Library Small Collections (RG 160).
Received at an unknown date. Source unknown.
No access restrictions


Union Congregational Church (Greenfield, N.H.)

Records, 1791-1991.
1 linear ft. (2 boxes, 1 v.).
Church gathered in 1791; town incorporated in the same year.
Formerly the Second Church or Congregational Church; formerly Christian Society until
1833.
Church called its first minister, Timothy Clark, in 1799.

In 1822, a large number of members withdrew to form their own church, a branch of the Peterborough Presbyterian Church. In 1834 the differences were reconciled and the two joined as the Evangelical Church. The members who refused to join organized the First Congregational Church in 1839, which met in the meeting house on the town  green. In 1864 the Evangelical and Congregational Churches began meeting together; in 1867 Greenfield Second Evangelical, a Presbyterian church, and the Congregational Church joined together to form Greenfield Union Congregational. Extant as Greenfield Union Congregational Church UCC in 1996.

Church records, including baptisms, marriages, deaths, and membership information, and minutes of the Union Congregational Church and its predecessors. In part, typescript.Deposit, 1992.
No access restrictions.
Finding aid in the Congregational Library. Finding aid published in: National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United States, microfiche 3.144.37

Union Congregational Church (Greenfield, N.H.)
Records, 1791-1969 [microfilm].
1 microfilm reel : positive ; 35 mm.
See entry for records, 1791-1991.
Church of Christ records, 1791-1822;
Congregational Church (Church of Christ) records, 1823-1834;
Evangelical Church of Christ records, 1833-1867;
Congregational Church records, 1839-1860;
Union Congregational Church records, 1867-1912;
Union Congregational Church business meeting minutes, 1885-1898;
Union Congregational Church records, 1913-1969;
Union Congregational Church register, 1946-1957.
Microfilmed at: Harvard University Reprographic Services, 1992.
Church of Christ records, 1791-1822;
Congregational Church (Church of Christ) records, 1823-1834; Evangelical
Deposit, 1992. No access restrictions.

 

Congregational Church (Jaffrey, N.H.) See United Church of Jaffrey
(United Church of Christ) (Jaffrey, N.H.)

Federated Church (Jaffrey, N.H.) See Jaffrey, New Hampshire. United
 Church of Jaffrey, United Church of Christ.

First Baptist Church (Jaffrey, N.H.) See United Church of Jaffrey (United
Church of Christ) (Jaffrey, N.H.)

First Universalist Church (Jaffrey, N.H.) See United Church of Jaffrey,
United Church of Christ (Jaffrey, N.H.)

United Church (Jaffrey, N.H.) See United Church of Jaffrey, United Church
of Christ (Jaffrey, N.H.)

 

United Church of Jaffrey, United Church of Christ (Jaffrey, N.H.)
Records, 1844-1980 (gaps).
2 linear ft. (4 boxes).
Town incorporated in 1773; a meeting house was built in 1775 and church was gathered ca. 1780.

The first settled minister, Rev. Laban Ainsworth, was ordained in 1782; Ainsworth
served until his death in 1858.

The brick Congregational Church was built in 1831; by 1849, the community of East
Jaffrey was thriving and a group of 23 individuals requested letters of dismission to join
the new church in East Jaffrey. In 1850 an ecclesiastical council convened and the
Jaffrey East Orthodox Congregationalists formed; a new building was completed in that
 same year.

 In 1890 a new building was completed and a vestry was built under the church building.
 Rev. Myron L. Cutler was pastor from 1887-1930 of the First Congregational Church of Jaffrey; when he died, many members attended the Jaffrey East Congregational Church.

First Universalist Society organized 1822; church formed in 1858 and incorporated in 1875.
Baptist Church formed in 1814; society formed in 1820.
Second Orthodox Congregational Society formed in 1850;
Federated Church formed by Baptists and Congregationalists in 1949. Rev. Richard
Stoughton
was the pastor of the Federated Church for 1949-1961.
United Church of Jaffrey incorporated in 1959 and in 1960 the ground was broken for a new building. Extant as United Church of Jaffrey UCC in 1996.

Records of:
First Baptist Church, 1844-1959;
Congregational Church, 1882-1928;
First Universalist Society, 1893-1939;
Federated Church, 1950-1959;
United Church, 1969-1977.
Records are fragmentary and incomplete.
Finding aid includes a list of ministers.
Deposit, 1989, 1992.
No access restrictions.


Finding aid in the Congregational Library. Finding aid submitted to: National Inventory of Documentary Sources in the United States February 1997.P

 

Congregational Church (Temple, N.H.)
Records, 1782-1974 (gaps). [microfilm].
2 microfilm reels : positive ; 35 mm.
Church gathered in 1771; the Congregational Society formed in 1831. In 1832 a smaller group named the Union Society was formed by local Universalists; little was known of this group except that it was still in existence in 1875. Church incorporated in 1966; the Congregational Society dissolved the same year. Extant as Temple Congregational UCC in 1996.

Church records, 1782-1966;
annual reports, 1971-1974;
society records, 1832-1966;
treasurer's records, 1832-1952;
Sabbath School records, 1863-1941;
Union Society records, 1832-1875;
misc. contracts, deeds to land and water rights, historical material.

Microfilmed at: Harvard University Reprographic Services, 1987.
Records are owned and held by the church.
Deposit, ca. 1987.
No access restrictions.
Finding aid in the Congregational Library. Finding aid submitted to: National Inventory of
Documentary Sources in the United States February 1997.

 

 

 

             

 

                                                                                                                  

       

Copyright 1999-2009 All Rights Reserved             
Webmaster
Birde    
    

 

Copyright Notice:

All files/photos on this site are fully copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor. They may not be
linked to, nor be reproduced on another site without specific permission from  the
Webmaster and/or their contributor.

Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. Use of this site denotes acceptance of these terms.