Newspapers are not always as revealing about state and local matters
as we might like them to be but they do indicate the editors' and
correspondents' concerns, in particular their political concerns.
Like all other sources, newspapers are best interpreted in
relation to each other and to other records. Consider not only the
paper's coverage of news and opinion but its cultural pages,
advertisements, and public announcements.
For towns without local papers try to determine what papers might
have been available. Keep in mind that Massachusetts and even
Connecticut papers may have had wider distribution in some parts of
New Hampshire that papers published within the state. The Essex
Journal and New Hampshire Packet, for example, was published in
Massachusetts for distribution both there and in communities along
the Merrimack. Listed below are some of the newspapers printed or
circulated in New Hampshire in the period:
Herald (Boston), 1787-1788.
Columbia Informer (Keene), 1793-1794.
Concord Herald, 1790-1794.
Courier of NH (Concord), 1794-1805.
Essex Journal and NH Packet (Newburyport), 1784-1794.
Exeter Chronicle, 1794
Freeman's Oracle (Exeter), 1793-1794.
Mirrour (Concord), 1792-1799.
the Day (Portsmouth), 1789-1793.
Political & Sentimental Repository (Dover), 1790-1792.
NH Gazeteer (Exeter), 1789-1793.
NH Journal (Walpole), 1793-1794.
NH Mercury (Portsmouth), 1784-1788.
NH Recorder (Keene), 1787-1791.
NH Spy (Portsmouth), 1786-1788.
"The National Eagle." This paper was established in
Claremont, in October, 1834, under the direction of a committee
chosen at a Whig convention, the year previous. The first number was
issued by John H. Warland editor, and Samuel L.
In 1836 the establishment was purchased and managed by Messrs.
Warland and Joseph Weber.
In 1842 Mr. Weber became sole proprietor, and
conducted the paper until October, 1846, when Messrs. Charles
Young and John S. Walker purchased the entire
establishment, Mr. Walker taking charge of the
In 1849 Mr. Walker sold his interest to Mr. J.
H. Brewster, who managed the paper in
connection with Mr. Young, until April, 1854, when the
establishment passed into the hands of Mr. Otis F. R. Waite,
its present proprietor. It is devoted to the interests of the Whig
"The New Hampshire Argus and Spectator," Newport. This paper
is now in the 31st volume of its publication. Its predecessors were
"The Newport Spectator" and "The New Hampshire
Argus," both of which journals were merged into one under this
title above given.
"The Spectator" was originally established in Claremont, in
January, 1823 by Cyrus Barton, but was soon after
located in Newport.
A short time after the removal to Newport, Mr. Dunbar Aldrich
became a partner with Mr. Barton.
Afterwards the partnership consisted of Messrs. Barton,
Benjamin French, and Cyrus Metcalf.
Subsequently, the paper was conducted by Messrs. French
and Metcalf during the space of a year or more,
when Mr. Metcalf retired, and was succeeded by
"The Argus" was established in Claremont in 1833, removed to
Newport in 1834, and was edited by Edmund Burke. The
papers were united in July, 1835, and managed by Mr. Burke until
January, 1838, when he was succeeded by H. E. Baldwin and
William English. Mr. English, soon leaving, was
succeeded by Samuel C. Baldwin, and the establishment
thus continued until 1840, when it was transferred to Messrs.
Carlton and Harvey, its present editors and proprietors, who
have conducted the paper for nearly sixteen years. It is democratic
"The Northern Advocate," Claremont, established in 1848.
Joseph Weber editor and proprietor. Politics, republican.
Newspaper articles are
being transcribed to put online.