Early New Hampshire Town Records
DEEDS and NH Links
"The microfilm collection of Early New
Hampshire Town Records is an important resource for
researching families who lived in the Granite State more than a
century and a half ago.
Many of the collection's 363 reels contain two and even three
volumes, and they are available at the Genealogy and Local
History Room at the
New Hampshire State Library
through the numerous
Family History Centers of the Church of Latter-day Saints.
The NH State Library staff will also accept reasonable requests
for searches of the records by phone (603-271-6823),
fax (603-271-2205), e-mail
email@example.com and traditional mail NHSL
Genealogy Section 20 Park St., Concord NH, 03301.
If the information is found, the library will send 8.5 x 11
photocopies of the images at 10 cents per sheet with a one
dollar minimum for mailing the information via USPS."
Carroll County was created by an act of the state legislature
approved December 23, 1840. In part the act stated that Carroll
county would include the following towns which had previously
made up part of Strafford. These towns were: Albany,
Brookfield, Chatham, Conway, Eaton, Effingham, Freedom,
Moultonborough, Sandwich, Tamworth, Tuftonborough, Ossipee,
Wakefield and Wolfeborough. In 1853, Bartlett, Jackson,
and Hart's Location were disannexed from Coös county and
became part of Carroll county.
Carroll county received its name in commemoration of Charles
Carroll of Carrollton, one of the signers of the Declaration of
Independence. Strafford county, from which Carroll county was
formed, was one of the five original counties of New Hampshire.
The five included Rockingham, Hillsborough, Cheshire, and
Town organizations introduced the law and order of old
communities. Four towns had duly elected selectmen in 1773.
Conway elected Abiel LOVEJOY and John WEBSTER;
Sandwich, Bagley WEED and Daniel BEEDE;
Moultonborough, Bradbury RICHARDSON and John ADAMS;
Wolfeborough, Benjamin FOLSOM, Thomas TAYLOR,
and James CONNOR.