Form of Reception
Franklin N. H.
Printed by Order of the Church.
FRANKLIN FALLS, N. H.
Rev. Benjamin Calley and others supplied the pulpit from January, 1838, to April, 1839, the commencement of the clerical year; Rev. Joseph Elliott was pastor from May, 1839, to April, 1843, and Rev. Elijah Shaw for the two years following. In 1845, Rev. Julius C. Blodgett supplied six months and Rev. Edmund Chadwick, who was ordained in the church December 11, 1845, six months. Rev. John W. Tilton was pastor for the next two years. Rev. O. J. Wait took the pastorate in 1848, and retained it for eight and one-half years, until October, 1856. Rev. Albert H. Martin succeeded him, remaining four and one-half years, until April, 1861. During the following year there was no settled pastor, but preaching was supplied by different clergymen of various denominations. A call was extended to Rev. H. C. Dugan, in April, 1862, who remained three years. For the year 1865, the pulpit was mostly supplied by Rev. N. J. Squires. Rev. R. B. Eldridge, Jr., was pastor for two years following. In May, 1868, Rev. O. J. Wait began his second pastorate, continuing the relation for fourteen and one-half years, until September, 1882, making twenty-three years in all. The ensuing six months were supplied by Revs. John Fifield and H. M. Eaton. Rev. T. G. Moses was pastor from April, 1883, to September, 1893. Rev. L. W. Phillips succeeded him in December, 1893, and continues in this capacity at the present time.
The deacons of the church have been Eliphaz Ager, Jeremiah Thorn, James Garland, Charles Garland, George C. Ward, James F. Sanborn, Daniel Osgood, S. G. Pike, Joseph Webster, Washington H. Clark, Elmer French, Charles C. Rowe.
The clerks have been John L. Sanborn, Joseph Smith, Charles Garland, Daniel Osgood, who served in this capacity twenty-four years, Jeremiah Thorn, Asa W. Mason, John H. Rowell, Clara E. Rowell.
In these sixty years, since its organization, there have been recorded, in the roll of the church, 580 names. Of this number, 222 have gone to their reward, while still retaining their connection with this church; 175 have been dismissed, most of them to do active service in other churches; while 183 names remain on the record as the number of present members.
Among this number, besides the pastors of the church, there have been eight ministers, seven of whom, baptized and received into the fellowship of this church, have gone out to preach "the unsearchable riches of Christ"--; these are Revs. S. S. Kimball, O. J. Hancock, H. Lizzie Haley, W. B. Flanders, George M. Morrison, Roger E. Thompson, Fred D. Webster.
Prayer-meetings, a Sunday-school and various auxiliary societies have greatly aided in the work of the church.
A meeting to consider the building of a church edifice was called a week before the formal organization of the church, and, as a result, the building was dedicated November 7, 1838. The dedicatory sermon was preached by Rev. Elijah Shaw, from Isaiah 56, 6 and 7.
By means of a legacy, left by Mrs. Susan W. Noyes, a parsonage was purchased in 1864. Extensive repairs and improvements have been made upon both of these buildings, from time to time, as their needs demanded.
This pamphlet was published by the Christian Church of Franklin, N. H. in 1898.
It is available at the New Hampshire Historical Society.
Call # 285.8778b F831cm
This page generously
Background Graphic by