The following history is from "The History of Merrimack and Belknap
Counties, New Hampshire". Edited by D. Hamilton Hurd and Published in 1885.
History of Franklin
History of Franklin, Merrimack Co, New Hampshire
The town of Franklin, lies in the northeastern part of the county,
is bounded as follows:
On the North and East, by Hill, Belknap Co. and Northfield; on the
South, by Boscawen; and on the West by Salisbury and Andover.
The territory embraced within the bounds of the present town of
Franklin originally comprised a portion of the towns of Sanborton,
Salisbury, Andover and Northfield.
The first settlement of the town was made in 1748, near the Webster
place, where a fort was built and occupied for several months. To
Philip Cail and his son Stephen is ascribed the honor of having
the first permanent settlers within the bounds of the present town,
that time a portion of Salisbury. Nathaniel Malven and Sinkler Bean
were pioneers in the western part of the town. In 1749 Malven, with
wife and three children, were captured by the Indians and taken
Canada, where they remained several years.. The few pioneers were
constant dread of the Indians who roamed through this section, sparing
neither women nor children from their murderous assaults.
The wife of
Philip Call was killed by the Indians in August, 1754, her husband
witnessing the deed while secreted unarmed nearby. It is said that
daughter-inlaw, with her grandchild, escaped from the savages by
concealment in the chimney. Peter and John Bowen settled on the
"Burleigh place" in about 1748.
John and Ezekiel Webster, cousins, ( penciled in the margin is a
that this was actually John and Ebenezer Webster, Uncle and Nephew
settled in the town in 1759 or '60. The latter was the father of
Ezekiel and Daniel Webster. Ephraim Collins was also one of the
pioneers. He settled in about 1752, and his grave-stone is the earliest
in the lower grave-yard, near the Webster place. Jacob Morrill,
Quimby and Benjamin Sanborn were among the early settlers at the
village. "In 1767 there came from Epping, James Cate, Sr., whose
had been saving seeds from their best apples all the winter before,
the orchard they would plant in their new home! They settled on
late Edward Wyatt place, in Franklin. Some of the apple-trees from
those seeds were still remaining a few years since. (Runnels)
The settlement at what is now known as the Upper village consisted
only one house and a grist-mill until after the Revolution.
Ebenezer Eastman, of honored memory, was the founder of the village.
came here when only twenty-seven years of age; was a man of property,
ability and great energy. He built a saw-mill, kept the village
conducted a farm and was extensively engaged in lumbering. His
homestead was the "Webster Home". He died in 1833. A few years later
the village received an enterprising spirit in the person of Captain
Ebenezar Blanchard, who came from Northfield. He was a man of great
energy and contributed largely in advancing the material interests
the town. He was the father of Mrs. Stephen Kenrick.
Among other settlers were James and Isaac Proctor and James Garland.
The Manufacturing Interests.
The first mill in this town was the old "town-mill," of the original
town of Sanbornton. By the provisions of the first Masonian charter,
"twenty acres (says Mr. Runnels) were to be assigned in some suitable
place for a sawmill, and whoever should build the first mill within
three years might own the land and have the privilege of sawing
'loggs of share-owners and other inhabitants thare, to the halves
the teerm of ten years next after the said mill first starts.' If
should appear to build thus within three years, the owners of shares
were to undertake to build the mill at their expense, and put it
such regulntions that all the inhabitants might be 'seasonably and
reasonably served with bords and other timber sawed' for building
The town-mill site was established on Salmon Brook. First
the grantees was April 21, 1763, — meeting held at Joseph Hoit's,
Stratham, — when it was voted that a saw-mill be built and maintained
on that first established site, "agreaibel to Charter ; " that it
completed by October 10th ; that " whoever builds it shall have
old tenner, and the mill priviledg." At a meeting, June 6th, the
privileges of mill-builder were accorded to Daniel Sanborn, under
oversight of the selectmen. Time extended to November 20th ; but
then the mill had not been built, as February 6, 1764, " Voted not
release Daniel Sanborn, Jun., from his obligation to build a mill,"
which, accordingly, had been completed that spring, and was soon
carried away by a freshet. Hence the proprietors voted, July 9,
to give Daniel Sanborn, Jr., five hundred pounds, old tenor, " to
a saw-mill in the rome of that which he lost ; " also that a grist-mill
be built by the proprietors within fifteen months. But afterwards,
October 8th, at a meeting in Exeter, permission was given Mr. Sanborn
" to build his sawmill in Sanbornton, on Winepisocke River, ner
brige [thus changing the location], provided he build a grist-mill,
with or near the saw-mill, within the specified time."
Tradition supplies an account of this first mill, on Salmon Brook,
what is now Franklin, as follows : That the foundation had been
the fall before, — at site of bridge leading to the late Albert
Morrison house, — without a dam, trees being simply felled from
ledge over to the other ; that Edward Shaw drew up the mill-irons
Exeter on a hand-sled, in March, only to find the foundation all
away, and finally, that by June the mill thus " built between the
ledges" was completed and went into operation, and that a log was
actually sawn before the fatal freshet alluded to, so the mill-site
After standing neglected for several years, a Mr. Adams built the
permanent mill on or a little above this original town-mill
was, however, early purchased and enlarged by Mr. Bradbury Morrison,
and being extensively used by three generations in his family, —
himself, several of his sons, and recently by his grandson, the
Albert G.,— the whole group has ever been known, and will be for
to come, as the Morrison Mills. Another saw-mill, with a grist-mill,
tended by Bradbury Morrison, Sr., and a blacksmith's and trip-hammer
shop for the ingenious Ebenezer Morrison, stood some twenty rods
the main dam, carried by water from the same by a sluice-way. Nathan
Morrison and Captain Levi Thompson also had an interest in this
and shop, which were burned in 1836. Forty rods below these last,
the flat, Albert G. Morrison, with his uncles, Bradbury, Jr., and
George W., had also a planing and shingle-mill, which were likewise
burned about 1850.
At the main dam, the first planing-mill in this part of the country
erected by William Greene, its first starting being " celebrated,"
is said, by large potations of potato whiskey. This was swept away
the February freshet of 1824. Of late years there have been a saw-mill
above, and a shingle, lath and planing-mill below the bridge and
original site, the latter built by A. G. Morrison between 1845 and
1850. The present occupants and chief owners of the whole are Giles
Knapp. The privilege must always remain a valuable one, as the fall
from seventy-five to one hundred feet between the upper mill and
Pemigewasset, at which it is not surprising that " immense quantities
of lumber " were rafted from these mills in earlier times, when
were surrounded by "the heaviest and finest pine timber."
When Jeremiah Sanborn settled at Franklin Falls, in 1778, the Folsom
saw-mill was standing, erected, probably, in about 1772. This was
the upper bridge.
The first mill (says Mr. Runnels) was soon carried down by a freshet,
and Mr. Sanborn rebuilt on the Northfield side, where one of his
sills was, till very recently, to be seen imbedded in the wall just
above the bridge. This mill, with an added gristmill, was again
transferred to the Sanbornton side, though extending over the edge
the river for some little distance, and its site was occupied, after
1810, by the Jonathan Sanborn fulling or clothing-mill, which was
itself succeeded by the old " red mill," two stories high, for making
satinet and cotton yarn. This, after lying unused for several years,
was burned. The same site was later occupied by the Sleeper Bros.,
door, sash and blind manufacturers.
THE GRANITE MILL was erected in 1822 by John Cavender, Thomas Baker,
John Smith, John and Charles Tappen and John Long at Franklin Falls.
This was burned in about 1855.
THE FRANKLIN MILLS (woolen), erected in 1863, gave a new impetus
village. These mills are now leased by M. T. Stevens.
THE WINNIPISEOGEE PAPER COMPANY.'—The so-called " Upper Dam," at
Franklin Falls, was built about 1852 for a large hosiery-mill, two
stories high, of stone, which was erected the same year, and operated
by the Franklin Mills Company, also by the Xesmith Brothers (George
and John N., of Low-ell, Mass.), associated with K. O. Peabody.
boarding-houses—two less in number than at present
—were built the next season. This mill was only run three or four
years, and then burned. Its site is now occupied by one of the pulp-
mills of the Winnipiseogee Paper Company, which was first built
for the grinding of poplar-wood, and was built over in 1879.
A. W. SULLOWAY, MANUFACTURER OF HOSIERY.
—This mill was built in 1864 by Frank H. Daniell and A. W. Sulloway.
In the spring of 1865 it was started under the name of Sulloway
Daniell and ran two sets of cards, making Shakers' socks. In 1867
aet cards were added and run on Shaker flannel and hosiery. In 1869,
Mr. Daniell sold his interest to Mr. Sulloway. In 1871 the mill
making flannel, and has made hosiery altogether ever since. In 1873
added a fourth set of cards. The mill now manufactures three hundred
dozens per day man's and boys' socks. Employs ninety-five to one
For history of manufacturing interests of Walter Aiken, see biography.
Petition of Ebenezer Eastman and others for Incorporation of Town—
Movement Opposed by Andover, Salisbury, Sanbornton and
Northfield—Report of Legislative Committee—Incorporation of Town
IN 1825 a petition was presented to the Legislature, signed by Ebenezer
Eastman and others, praying for the organization of a new town from
portions of Andover, Salisbury, Sanbornton and Northfield. This
with opposition from various persons in the towns, whose territory
was sought to curtail, and if not a long, certainly a sharp contest
ensued. During a portion of the time the subject was under discussion
the old towns employed as counsel E. X.Woodbury, while Parker Noyes
guarded the interests of the embryo town. Hon. George W. Nesmith
was interested in the organization of the new town.
The following is a copy of the report of the committee appointed
Legislature to act on the subject:
" To the Honorable Speaker of the Hovse of Representatives:
" The undersigned, a committee appointed on the petition of Ebenezer
Eastman and others, praying for the incorporation of a new town,
formed out of parts of the town of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton
" That they met at Salisbury on the twenty-ninth of September last,
the purpose, as required by the vote of the House, of 'viewing the
ground from which the contemplated new town is to be taken, and
all parties interested.' From causes not within the control of the
committee the several towns had not been notifled in the manner
required by the vote of the House. Having, however, been informed
the intended meeting of the committee, they attended by their
respective agents, who all expressed their readiness, at that time,
proceed with the examination. The committee accordingly accompanied
agent of the petitioners and the respective town agents to such
of the several towns and villages as the parties in interest thought
proper to point out. In their various examinations and in the several
hearings of the different agents and individuals interested the
committee spent four days. The result of this very full investigation
was an unanimous opinion, on the part of the committee, that the
of the petitioners is reasonable and ought to be granted. With respect
to the several towns, out of which it is proposed that the new town
should be taken, it may be stated, as the result of the committee's
inquiries on this point, that those parts of Salisbury, Sanbornton
Northfield which are without the limits of the new town are generally
opposed to the division of their territory; that the people of Andover
are divided on the petition, those who reside near the present centre
of that town being for the most part opposed to the incorporation
new town, and those in the western and eastern parts in favor of
and that, of the inhabitants of the proposed new town itself, those
belonging to Salisbury and Andover are in favor of its incorporation,
those in Northfleld are divided and those in Sanbornton opposed
"The objections on the part of these towns are very fully stated
remonstrances, and other papers, which accompany this report. Some
these objections appeared to the committee not to be sustained by
facts in the case, others they have endeavored to obviate by the
which they have assigned to the new town, and of the remainder,
them as have any real weight are, in their opinion greatly overbalanced
by other and more important considerations in favor of the new town.
That inconvenience should result to some individuals is to be expected,
aa a matter of course, in all proposed changes of this kind. But,
the present instance, the individuals injuriously affected are few
number, and the injury which they will sustain inconsiderable compared
with the advantages which will accrue from the proposed change.
the limits proposed for the new town there is already a population
equal to that of the average number given by more than one-half
towns in the State. The number of rateable polls, as near as the
committee could ascertain, is 187, of which number 75 belong to
Salisbury, 48 to Sanbornton, 37 to Northfleld and 27 to Andover.
have recently been erected on the banks of the Winnipiseogee river,
within the limits of the proposed new town, a paper-mill and cotton
manufactory, both of which are now in full and successful operation.
From the great falls in this and other streams in that vicinity
inexhaustible supply of water, there is reason to believe that very
extensive manufacturing establishments and other works requiring
power will, at no distant period, be erected at or near this spot,
addition to those already there. Even without these contemplated
improvements, which would of course bring along with them a
considerable increase of inhabitants, the number at this time living
within the proposed limits, and the amount of business transacted
the villages along the river, seems to entitle them to the ordinary
privilege of being incorporated into a town by themselves.
"Many of the petitioners live at a great distance from the centre
business in their respective towns, and have far to go over rough
to attend the annual and other public town-meetings. Their local
situation, on the contrary, is such that they come easily and
frequently together in the course of business at the village near
bridge. At this village a handsome church has been lately built,
which, besides the accommodation which it furnishes as a place of
religious worship, the public meetings of the new town may be
conveniently held. It may be here added, while speaking of public
establishments, that a well-endowed Literary Institution—' Noyes
School'—has within a few years been founded within the proposed
of the new town, and that, within the same limits, there is also
Post-Office. The objection that the new town, if created, will be
divided by the Pemigewasset, which passes through it, is in a great
measure obviated by the fact that there is a good bridge over this
stream near the meeting-house, and that the roads are so arranged
meet generally at this point. It was said that this bridge might
swept away by the sudden rise of the stream, and this is certainly
true; but it is equally true that this bridge is too much used,
people in the vicinity and by travellers from a distance, to leave
doubt as to its being kept constantly in repair. With some improvements
on the Merrimack, which have been long contemplated, that river
be navigable up to the junction of the Winnipissiogee with the
Pemigewasset, which takes place near the centre of the contemplated
town, about seventeen miles from Concord. In that event the new
would be situated at the head of navigation on the Merrimack. It
urged on the part of Northfield that the creation of the new town
deprive them of so many of their inhabitants as not to leave them
number of rateable polls required by the Constitution to entitle
to a representative to the General Court. This objection would have
much influence with the committee if they had found it well supported
by the facts in the case. But the certificate of the town clerk
Northfleld shows that the check lists, used at the annual meeting
that town In March, 1825, contained the names of 265 voters. From
same certificate it appears that, of this number, only thirty-seven
voters live within the proposed limits of the new town, which would
leave, after the separation, two hundred and twenty-eight legal
in Northfleld. Much was also said before the committee respecting
injury which would result from the division of farms and the
destruction of school districts in the old towns by the incorporation
of the new. That some thing of this kind should occur in every new
arrangement of town lines is perhaps inevitable. In the present
instance the committee have endeavored, as far as possible, to avoid
any inconvenience of this kind, and they have so far succeeded in
object as lo divide very few farms at all ; and none, so far as
are informed, in a manner particularly injurious to the owner. The
school districts in the several towns are also left, for the most
without change, and where any alteration will become necessary in
of them, it can, without difficulty, be effected.
"The committee, therefore, recommended that a new town be incorporated,
to be formed from parts of the old towns of Sanbornton, Salisbury,
Northfteld and Andover. A survey of the territory included within
limits of the proposed new town, as designated by the committee,
been made under their direction and accompanies this report.
"All which is respectfully submitted,
"WILLIAM PLUMER, JR.
" January 31, 1826."
The towns of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton and Northfield then engaged
E. X. Woodbury and petitioned the Legislature to be put back. Parker
Noyes protested to the proceedings, as the town had not been notified.
A committee reported in favor of the petitioners. Noyes then moved
an order of notice and postponement, which he secured. The following
a copy of the report of the committee on towns and parishes for
"The standing Committee on Towns and Parishes, having had under their
consideration the petition of Dearborn Sanborn and others, praying
a new town to be taken from the towns of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton
and Northfield, and also sundry memorials and remonstrances against
petitions and other papers connected therewith,
"That notice of the pendency of said petition has been published,
pursuant to the order of the House, at the last session, and that
petitioners, as well as the corporations and individuals opposed
prayer of said petition, have presented to the committee such testimony
as seemed to them to have a bearing upon the merits of the case.
"As a result of their inquiries the committee offer for the
consideration of the House the following
" Statement of Facts:
" The original petition is signed by two hundred and ten voters,
the petition which was referred to the committee, at the present
session, is signed by thirty voters, making two hundred and forty
petitioners in the whole, all, or nearly all of whom reside within
limits of the proposed new town.
"The number of voters in Salisbury is . ......... 425
in Andover ..................... 325
in Sanbornton ................... 750
in Northfield .................... 288
*'The proposed new town would include within its limits,
from Salisbury ................... 108
from Andover .................... 35
from Sanbornton .................. 55
from Northfield ................... 49
Making In all .................... 247
voters to be included within the limits of the new town, of whom
remonstrate against the prayer of the petition, and leaving the
towns, in the event of incorporation of the new one, the following
number of voters, viz:
The whole amount of State tax, assessed in Salisbury in 1828, is
Assesed on inhabitants within the proposed limits ........91,26
State tax in Andover, 1828. ........................... 248.00
Assesed on Inhabitants within proposed limits..........
State tax in Sanbornton,1828. ........................
Assesed on inhabitants in proposed limits ............
State tax in Northfield in 1828 ....................... 200.00
Assessed on inhabitants in proposed limits ...........
"From this statement it appears that the valuation of the inhabitants,
to be taken from Salisbury and Andover, is rather below ; while
the inhabitants of Saubornton and Northfield is somewhat above the
average valuation of all the inhabitants of the respective towns.
"From the examination made by the committee they are satisfied that
territory pointed out as the limits of the new town contains a
population and resources which will entitle it to a respectable
among the towns in New Hampshire. That this population is increasing,
appears from the fact, that in January, 1826, the whole number of
voters within the proposed limits was 187, shewing an increase of
nearly one-fourth part in the number of voters in less than three
"The committee are also satisfied that the inhabitants, living within
the territory, would be accommodated by granting the prayer of the
petition. Most of them have a distance to travel in order to attend
public meetings, which tends much to diminish, in respect to them,
value of the elective franchise. Many of the petitioners in Salisbury
live at a distance of five miles, and some of them a greater distance
from the place of town-meeting. And all those comprised within the
town could much more conveniently attend at its proposed centre.
same remark will apply to Andover, except that the average saving
travel would be somewhat more. Some of the petitioners in Sanbornton
live in the immediate vicinity of the proposed new centre, and most
them nearer to it than to the place of public meeting in that town.
Northfield is a considerable settlement, connected with the
manufacturing establishments, on tbe banks of the Winnipissiogee.
is within a mile of the proposed new centre, and a little over four
miles from the place of meeting in Northfield.
" In regard to the quality of the roads and the expense of making
repairing, the committee do not find any essential difference between
the old towns and those parts proposed to be taken off. It was
objected, on the part of Andover, that by dividing that town, in
manner proposed by the petitioners, an expensive road in the northeast
part would be left to be supported by that town, whereas it ought
supported by that portion of Andover which has petitioned
to be set
off. It did not appear to the committee, however, that the average
expense of repairing roads in that part of Andover to be comprised
the new town, is not equal to the expense of repairing roads in
parts of the new town ; and for this, among other reasons, a majority
of the committee is opposed to extending the line in Andover over
limits pointed out by the petitioners.
"The fact being established that the proposed territory contains
population and resources which entitle the prayer of the petitioners
a respectful hearing, and that there are inconveniences which they
present suffer which ought to be redressed, the committee have
proceeded to the only remaining inquiry which seemed to them necessary
to be made, in order to come to a correct result as to the subject
matter referred to them—which is,—
" Whether these inconveniences can be removed, and these grievances
redressed consistently with a due regard to the interests and rights
the towns or individuals to be affected by the measure proposed.
" It is proper here to remark, that the prayer of the petition is
opposed by the towns of Salisbury, Sanbornton and Northfield; that
is not probable that any arrangement, in regard to lines, would
reconcile the inhabitants of those towns, living out of the proposed
limits, to a division. The town of Andover, also, opposes the petition,
unless the line of the new town should extend north to New Chester,
which event, as the committee were informed, that town would make
" The objections made by the several towns were urged by their agents,
who were before the committee, with much zeal and ability. The
committee have attentively considered these objections and the
testimony in their support, and upon a view of the whole subject,
majority of the committee is of the opinion that the objections
proposed measure are not sufficient to counterbalance the obvious
benefits which would result to the petitioners by the establishment
a new town.
" The objections urged by the towns were,—
"1. The general objection against all encroachments on town lines.
objection, in the opinion of the committee, ought to prevail only
a town is subjected to a loss, either in influence or resources,
when a party seeking a redress for grievances can find a different
remedy. In this case, however, the committee have the satisfaction
believing that a new town may be incorporated and the old towns
still remain, as they have always been, highly respectable in point
numbers, character and resources of their inhabitants. The committee
further of opinion that to constitute a new town it is necessary
take a portion of each of the towns mentioned.
"2. Another objection urged was,—That school districts would be
deranged by the lines marked out by the petitioners.
" It may be here remarked, that in Salisbury and Andover no school
district is affected by the new town. In regard to Sanbornton and
Northfield, the proposed line divides school districts, and in some
places, of course, inconveniently. But from a careful examination
the testimony in this particular, the committee is of the opinion
the proposed line in these towns is as little inconvenient as any
could well be adopted. In regard to this Objection, and others of
similar nature, the committee may with much propriety make use of
language of a highly respectable committee, who, after viewing the
ground and hearing the parties, made their report to the House of
Representatives in June, 1826:
"' Much was said' say that committee, ' respecting the injury that
would result from the division of farms and destruction of school
districts in the old towns by the incorporation of the new. That
something of this kind should occur in every new arrangement of
lines is perhaps inevitable. In the present instance the committee
endeavored, as far as possible, to avoid any inconvenience of this
kind, and they have so far succeeded in this object as to divide
few farms at all, and none, so far as they are informed, in a manner
particularly injurious to the owner. The old school districts, in
several towns, are left for the most part without change, and where
alteration will become necessary, in any of them, it can, without
difficulty, be effected."
"It should be remarked, that in their investigations the committee
confined themselves to the limits defined by the viewing committee
"The committee report for the consideration of the House the following
" Resolved, That it is expedient to establish a new town, to be taken
from Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton and Northfield, and including
its limits the bounds pointed out by the petitioners, and that the
petitioners have leave to bring in a bill for that purpose.
"LEVI CHAMBERLAIN, for the Committee.
The town was incorporated as Franklin December 24,1828.
What pertains to the setting off of the southwest portion of the
original town, to form the town of Franklin (says Rev. Mr. Runnels,
an account of the action of Sanbornton in relation to this
controversy), may now be safely treated as a matter of history;
alluding to the later division, or attempts at division, we shall
treading upon delicate ground, and shall therefore confine ourselves
almost exclusively to the recorded action of the town from time
time. The Sanbornton people were no doubt honest in their earliest
strenuous opposition, though we now smile at the arguments used,
fallacy of some of which, valid in their day, is being proved by
lapse of time.
In town-meeting, March 9, 1825, the subject of " setting off the
southwest corner of town " first came up in the warrant, " by petition
of Ebenezer Eastman and others, to form a new town." A "polling
House" resulted in " yeas, 4; nays, 402." At the same time a similar
movement for the "northwest part of the town, on petition of Ebenezer
Kimball and others," was disposed of in nearly as summary a way,—
"nays, 379; yeas, 7."
Next, from the Strafford Gazette of October 22, 1825, we obtain this
" The inhabitants of the southwest part of this town presented to
committee appointed by the Legislature to lay out a new town, agreeably
to the petition of Ebenezer Eastman and others, the remonstrance:
"The undersigned, inhabitants of the town of Sanbornton remonstrate
against being set off into a new town, agreeable to the petition
Eastman and others, and represent that they are not subject to any
great 'inconvenience,' nor do they suffer any ' privation of civil
religious privileges by reason of their distance from the public
building in this town ; but, on the contrary, believe their civil
religious privileges are now far superior to any they might expect
enjoy in the new town.
"That they now live in a town in which there is and long has been
uncommon harmony between the different religious societies; neither
they believe that that harmony, civil or religious, will be increased
by their becoming members of the new town, divided as this will
be by a
large river, extending nine miles through the centre of the town
impassable but at one place, their neighborhoods divided in like
manner, the wants of its several parts unknown to the other in
consequence of this division; but have good reason to believe that
would produce an unfriendly disposition and rivalship between its
several parts, not only in their civil and fiscal concerns, but
likewise engender the seeds of hatred and animosity in their religious
"That the town in which they now live have a school and parsonage
amounting to more than $8000, the interest of which is annually
appropriated towards the support of our common schools and all of
religious societies. Remove us from these advantages, and you plaoe
in a town having no funds ; and instead of conferring a favor, you
impose upon us a tax annually exceeding our proportion of a $4000
tax. Remove us, and you deprive us of a rich legacy, fostered and
enlarged by the parental (?) [obscure] and tender care of our fathers,
and left by them not only for the instruction of our children in
civil and political duties, but by it the vital principles of piety
evangelical knowledge are enforced, which are the only sure foundations
of our present, and the only hope of our future happiness.
"That they now live in a town mostly surrounded by monuments created
from the foundation of the world, which require no perambulation,
of no doubt and subject us to no lawsuits respecting their
authenticity. Remove us, and you subject eight towns and eight
different sets of selectmen to the expense of perambulating over
twenty-five miles of a zigzag line on this new town where we now
" That we have located and accommodated our farms to our several
and circumstances. Remove us, and you divide them, and leave a part
another town, to be taxed as non-resident, depriving our children,
addition to the loss of our school and parsonage money, of the benefit
of the school tax of that part of our property, and giving it to
strangers. Remove us, and you divide our school districts, subjecting
those who now live near the school-house to travel more than two
to attend school; you will locate many of us farther from our public
building ; you will augment our taxes ; you will give us a great
of bridges; you will subject us to the maintenance of several miles
highway, in addition to our common highway tax ; and we never have
able to find a precedent, and cannot discover the least semblance
justice in taking off a large section of this town against their
unanimous wish, augmenting their taxes at least one-third, depriving
of our school and parsonage money, dividing and cutting up our farms,
destroying our school districts, and placing us under the arbitrary
will of strangers,—and we cannot willingly consent to these sacrifices
without we can perceive a far greater advantage to some section
town than merely gratifying the ambition and pride of some half
"James Clark. Samuel Fellows. Abraham Cross. David Clark, Jr. Dearborn
Sanborn. Jonathan Sanborn, Jr. George C. Ward. Tristram Sanborn.
Thompson. Nicholas Clark. Abraham Sanborn, Jr. Jonathan Prescott.
William Thompson. David Gage. Nathan S. Morrison. Ebenezer Morrison.
Bradbury Morrison. Satchel W. Clark. Dearborn Sanborn, Jr. William
Robertson. Abraham Sanborn. Andrew Sanborn. John Cate.
Jonathan Prescott, Jr. Jeremiah French. Samuel Prescott. David Dolloff.
Joseph Thompson. John Thompson. Levi Thompson. Joseph Sanborn."
It would appear from the foregoing that the legal voters in that
of Sanbornton which is now Franklin were then, almost to a man,
to the division; while it must be remembered that Mr. Eastman and
few others who petitioned in its favor were living upon the west
of the river, in what was then Salisbury village. Accordingly, for
three years longer, while efforts were continued for the formation
the new town, the dismemberment of its own territory was as steadily
opposed by the town of Sanbornton. Even " at the last moment," November
3, 1828, it was voted, on the motion, "that part of the town petitioned
for be set off for the formation of a new town," yeas, twenty; nays,
three hundred and eighty ; and Charles Gilman, Esq., was chosen
agent to oppose the petition of Dearborn Sanborn and others (for
town) before the committee of the Legislature on towns and
When, however, at the next annual meeting, March 11,1829, the town
Franklin had been constituted, there was a display of will, pertinacity
and almost obstinacy on the part of the Sanbornton citizens, which
seems hardly justifiable, in that they " would do nothing" in respect
to "the proportion of the town funds claimed by Franklin, the town
paupers of Sanbornton belonging to Franklin, or the annexing to
convenient schools districts of those dis-annexed by the forming
The controversy continued for several years, as in March, 1832, a
special agent was chosen, Nathaniel Holmes, Esq., to make arrangement
with the town of Franklin and to obtain able counsel, whether the
of Sanbornton is holden to pay to Franklin any of its fund; and
holden, to make further arrangements and lay the matter again before
the town. At a meeting in October (same year) it was voted that
town agent and selectmen "obtain further counsel whether Franklin
legal claim upon Sanbornton for a proportion of the School and
Parsonage Fund." The above agent never reported to the town (as
from records); but at a special meeting, January 20, 1834, an action
having been brought by the town of Franklin against Sanbornton to
recover part of the funds belonging to said Sanbornton, Charles
Esq., was appointed agent to attend to the suit, with instructions
continue the action so long as any probability of gaining it may
or otherwise, that he have power to settle the action and
agree on a committee to say " how much of the town funds Franklin
have, and what part of the poor it shall take."
The Sanbornton fathers of that day were honest in the belief that
other town could justly claim the funds which were left to their
hence they were sincere in resisting the claims of Franklin. But
was ultimately decided against them, as in 1836, of the "School
Parsonage Fund," which had amounted to $6658.78, $633.53 was paid
Franklin as "the share belonging to those persons who had been set
off," leaving a balance of $6025.25.
FRANKLIN—(Comtinutd). ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.
The Congregational Church —Unitarian Church—First Baptist Church
—Christian Baptist Church—Free Baptist Church—Methodist Church
—Roman Catholic Church.
The First Unitarian Congregational Society of Franklin was organized
the 6th of December, 1879, " For the purpose of establishing and
sustaining the worship of God in public and social religious services,
and to secure for ourselves and our children the benefits of religious
instruction, and as a means of illustrating and extending rational
In the second article of the constitution the objects of the society
are declared to be "the cultivation and diffusion of useful knowledge,
the promotion of fraternal justice, and of a serious and intelligent
public spirit, and the earnest endeavor to supply a centre and home
religious sympathy and of all good influences to those who seek
need our fellowship."
On the occasion of the organization of the society the constitution
signed by the following persons: Rev. J. B. Harrison, Mrs. W. F.
Daniell, Mrs. R. G. Burleigh, A. W. Sulloway, W. F. Daniell, Daniel
Barnard, Charles H. Gould, R. G. Burleigh, G. B. Wheeler, F. H.
Daniell, R. E. Bean, E. B. S. Sanborn. The following persons were
elected officers of the society: Clerk, George B. Wheeler; Treasurer,
Alexis Proctor; Pastor, Rev. J. B. Harrison; Trustees, Warren F.
Daniell, Daniel Barnard, A. W. Sulloway, E. B. S. Sanborn, R. G.
Burleigh, Alexis Proctor, Frank H. Chapman.
The board of trustees was constituted a committee to procure plans
consider other matters pertaining to the building of a church.
At a meeting of the trustees, held April 20th, a communication was
by the pastor informing the trustees that Mrs. Persis Smith, of
Louis, had offered the society the sum of four thousand dollars
the erection of a church and one thousand toward building a parsonage,
provided that a suitable building lot be given for the parsonage
suitable home erected thereon within a reasonable time.
At a meeting of the society, April 30,1881, it was voted that the
trustees proceed to build a church, to cost not less than ten thousand
dollars. The trustees were also authorized to build a parsonage
as the necessary funds could be raised. At the annual meeting of
society, December 31, 1881, A. W. Sulloway reported that a parsonage
had been built at a cost, exclusive of the lot, which had been given
W. F. Daniell, of two thousand five hundred dollars, of which amount
Mrs. Smith had contributed one thousand dollars and Mr. Sulloway
advanced the remaining fifteen hundred until the society could repay
it. During the year the society received from its most generous
benefactor, Mrs. Smith, three thousand dollars toward the foundation
a library, to which was added five hundred dollars contributed by
members of the society, and two hundred and fifty dollars, a gift
an unknown friend, through Hutchins & Wheeler, of Boston. At
of trustees, held November 24, 1883, the building committee reported
that the church was completed at a cost, including two thousand
hundred and fifty dollars paid for the land, of sixteen thousand
hundred and twenty dollars.
It was voted that the church be dedicated December 19th, and that
M. J. Savage be invited to preach the dedication sermon. The clerk
the society was instructed to acknowledge the receipt of one thousand
dollars from Mrs. Charlotte E. Stevens, of North Andover, Mass.,
the offer of whatever further sum might be needed to purchase and
in the church such an organ as Mrs. R. G. Burleigh and Mrs. W. F.
Daniell might select.
The church was dedicated December 19th, Rev. M, J. Savage preaching
sermon. Among those present and participating in the services of
day was Rev. Horatio Wood who, fifty-one years before, had preached
first Unitarian sermon ever preached in Franklin.
In January, 1884, Rev. J. B. Harrison, who, by earnestness and a
order of ability, had drawn a congregation together, and held them
during nearly five years,, withdrew from the pastorate of the society.
In the following September the society extended a call to Rev. E.
Elder to become their pastor, which call was accepted.
The foregoing narrative has been compiled from the church records.
little needs to be added. A history of a church cannot be written
its infancy. The first six years of the life of the society have
extremely prosperous, and the present is full of promise. The society
is indebted for its existence and prosperity to an unusually fortunate
concurrence of favorable circumstances. It was no common talent
attracted, and no common ability that held together, a congregation
drawn from all the churches. It was no ordinary interest in a liberal
church, and in what it stands for, that prompted the generous gifts
over nine thousand dollars from distant friends toward a church,
organ, a parsonage and a library, and this generosity was seconded
corresponding liberality on the part of the society. And what is
significant and promising, those ideas, convictions and purposes
which the Unitarian Church is the representative and exponent were
heartily welcomed by a large portion of the community. There are
present (1885) more than fifty families connected with the church.
its unusually excellent library of more than two thousand five hundred
volumes, to which valuable additions are being made, it has an
instrument of power and helpfulness to the entire community. It
be hoped that as an institution for the promotion of goodness and
righteousness in the lives and characters of its members, and for
advancement of the kingdom of God in the community the Unitarian
of Franklin will abundantly justify the faith, fulfill the hopes
reward the endeavors of all who have in any way contributed to its
The First Baptist Church of Franklin Falls.
Owing to the rapid growth of the village of East Franklin, as it
then called, there was an evident need of some place in which religious
services could be held on the Sabbath for the benefit of many who
not go to churches in the neighboring villages.
Accordingly, the business men of the community secured Lyceum Hall,
only place that was then available, and made arrangements for the
support of weekly religious services on the Sabbath. Elder Burton,
Sanbornton, appears to have been the earlist regular preacher to
union congregation, and he was succeeded, in April, 1866, by Rev.
Philbrook, who, in May, 1867, was followed by J. E. Dame, a student
from the academy at New Hampton. Mr. Dame preached his farewell
June 28, 1868, and Rev. Charles A. Cooke preached moat of the time
the ensuing year.
Meanwhile, the question of organizing a Baptist Church had been
discussed, and upon the advice and encouragement of Rev. E. E.
Cuminings, D.D., of Concord, an organization was finally effected
the name of the First Baptist Church of East Franklin. The constituent
members were twelve in number, as follows: Mr. and Mrs. Shadrach
Wadleigh, Mrs. Lydia Sanborn, Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Jen kins, Mrs.
Jenkins, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sumner, Mrs. Walter Aiken, Mrs. Fanny
Sweatt, Miss Nettie Whittaker and Miss Laura McGloughlin.
In November, 1869, Rev. Benjamin Wheeler, of Saco, Me., began to
to the union congregation in Lyceum Hall, and in June, 1870, he
accepted a call from the Baptist Church to become its pastor.
In the summer of 1869, Walter Aiken, Esq., one of the most generous
supporters of the union services, began the erection, at his own
personal expense, of a new meeting-house, which was completed the
following spring, so that just at the time when the town changed
Hall into a school building the new church building was ready for
occupancy. As soon as practicable after the church had secured a
pastor, a council of neighboring churches was called to consider
question of recognizing this church as in good standing in the Baptist
This council met June, 30,1870, and, after proper investigation,
to proceed with public services of recognition of the new church
dedication of the new meeting-house.
One year later Mr. Aiken, with rare munificence, donated the meeting-
house and land on which it stood to the First Baptist Society and
has to the present time ever been a generous contributor to the
financial prosperity of the church.
After a brief service of one year and nine months, Rev. Mr. Wheeler,
March 3, 1872, resigned his pastorate, leaving a church which, having
been organized less than three years, had made a net gain of seventy-
five, and now contained eighty-seven members. Of this increase,
had been received by baptism, and all became willing workers in
vigorous and efficient organization.
Mr. Wheeler, in the following October, moved from Franklin to Randolph,
Mass., though he remained a beloved member of this church until
25, 1876, the date of his death.
Mr. J. F. Fielden began preaching for the church in May, after Rev.
Wheeler's resignation, and June 7th it was voted to extend to him
call to ordination as pastor of this church. The call having been
accepted, the public services of ordination were held July 5, 1872.
During the next seven years the church enjoyed a season of great
prosperity, increasing rapidly in numbers and influence, so that
end of its first decade of years there were one hundred and ninety-six
In 1875 the First Baptist Society, by unanimous vote, transferred
its property to the First Baptist Church of Franklin Falls, a corporate
body under the laws of the State. In April, 1875, a baptistery was
placed in the church, and in July an additional and useful room
formed by connecting the church and chapel. In February, 1878, a
toned, fifteen hundred pounds bell was presented by George E. Buell,
Esq., and placed in the church tower, where it yet remains, the
church bell in the village.
Rev. Mr. Fielden resigned his pastorate in Franklin August 5, 1881,
immediately accepted a call to become pastor of the First Baptist
Church in Winchester, Mass.
During this service of a little more than nine years Mr. Fielden
record as pastor which has rarely excelled, for of the one hundred
forty-nine accessions during his ministry, one hundred and six
were baptized by him and forty-three came from other churches.
After an interval of about five months, on December 16,1881, a call
given to Mr. C. R. Brown, of Cambridge, Mass., to become pastor
church ordination. This call having been accepted, a
council met in
the church, on Friday, December 30th, and, after a satisfactory
examination, proceeded to the public exercises of ordination and
recognition. This pastorate, though fruitful in accessions of new
members, was quite brief, for in June, 1883, the pastor was invited
the trustees of Newton Theological Institution to take the position
assistant professor of Hebrew and cognate languages in that seminary.
He, having pursued those studies during a residence of two years
Germany, felt it to be his duty to accept the invitation, and
accordingly resigned his pastoral charge after a service of but
In July the church extended a call to Rev. A. J. Hopkins, of Hopkinton,
N. H., to become their pastor, and he accepted, entering upon his
labors at the beginning of October, 1883. During the period between
that and the present time (July, 1885) but few changes have taken
and little worthy of note has occurred. The church now numbers one
hundred and eighty members, has a flourishing Sunday-school and
to be preparing for another period of marked spiritual development
rapid increase in numbers.
Christian Church.—The religious awakening out of which grew the
Christian Church in Franklin, N. H., dates back to October, 1810,
Elijah Shaw, afterwards a prominent minister in the denomination,
visited Andover and vicinity on an exhorting tour, he being only
seventeen years old. In the summer of 1811, and again in 1814, he
visited the above-named towns. At this last visit the work began
earnest, he preaching in a barn, as no other building was large
to hold the crowds that flocked to hear the good news. The work
into the adjoining towns of Salisbury and Sanbornton.
The pioneer church organized from Elder Elijah Shaw's labors was
Sanbornton. The organization was effected October 25, 1814, Elders
Moses Cheney and Elijah Shaw assisting. This church continued its
with some efficiency till it fell to decay, in 1827, the membership
that period being eighty-one persons, residing in Sanbornton,
Salisbury, Andover, New Chester and Northfield. Their covenant was
brief and comprehensive: " We, whose names are under-written, having
submitted ourselves to God, agree to submit ourselves to one another,
considering ourselves a church of God, called to be saints, agreeing
take the New Testament, and that only, for our rule,—for name, belief
Elders Galley and Morrison organized at different times, from 1820
1837, three churches in Andover and Salisbury village (now Franklin
West village) and Sanbornton. These three churches united, March
1830, into a strong organization. They did not long continue in
united capacity. Little or no provision was made for 'supporting
minister, and the church soon went to ruin. In January, 1838, the
members of the church living in Franklin decided to separate from
others and form a new church. The organization was completed January
21, 1838, at the school-house in Franklin village, Elders Benjamin
Calley and Richard Davis assisting.
The movement toward the erection of the church edifice, in which
church have worshiped, was started January 14, 1838. A notice was
posted that day for a meeting on the 20th, in the school-house in
Franklin village, of, all desirous of aiding in the erection of
building. At that meeting Joshua Fifield, James Clark and Caleb
were appointed to procure a site, and report estimated expense to
adjourned meeting January 27th, when the reports were accepted,
Messrs. Fifield, Clark and John Rowell were appointed a building
committee, and N. S. Morrison, Caleb Merrill, Daniel Herrick, a
committee to raise funds and sell pews. February 10, 1838, all the
arrangements were completed for the building. The foundation was
in, and the frame was put up June 27th, and so rapidly was the work
carried forward by this energetic society, that the house was dedicated
to the worship of the One God and His Son, Jesus Christ, November
1838. Isaac Hale, Joshua Fifield and John Simonds were committee
arrangements, Elder Elijah Shaw preaching the sermon (text, Isaiah
6-7). The house cost $3200. The pews sold and subscriptions paid
amounted to $3003.73, leaving a debt of $197.27, which was raised
once, and the church given to the worship of God free from debt,
what is quite remarkable in the history of churches, has never had
incumbrance upon it in the form of a debt; and there have been no
interruptions or lapses in the service held in the church. In 1859
repairs were made at an expense of one hundred and sixty dollars.
1872 repairs and improvements in the interior of the church were
amounting to eight hundred and fifty dollars, and a pipe-organ put
costing fifteen hundred dollars. The pastors that have been settled
over this church since its organization are as follows: Benjamin
Calley, one year, to 1839; Joseph Elliot, four years to 1843; Elijah
Shaw, two years, to 1845; J. C. Blodgett and E. Chadwick, one year,
1846; J. W. Tilton, two years, to 1848; O. J. Wait, eight and a
years, to 1856 ; A. H. Martin, four and a half years, to 1861. During
1862 several preachers of different denominations supplied the pulpit.
In 1862, H. C. Dugan was settled, who remained to 1865; Rev. Mr.
Syreans, to 1866; R. B. Eldridge, to 1868; O. J. Wait was again
in 1868 and remained to April 1, 1883, when he resigned to become
president of Antioch College, at Yellow Springs, Ohio. In 1883,
Moses was called to the pastorate. In writing this sketch I have
impressed with this remarkable feature,—the unanimity which has
characterized all the actions of this body of Christians. There
been no long and distracting church trials, no bickerings among
membership, but love and harmony have prevailed for nearly fifty
The present condition of the church is prosperous. The Sunday-school
is in a flourishing condition, and its financial resources are
sufficient for all the increased demands upon it.
The Free Baptist Church was organized in 1870 with sixteen members.
church edifice was erected in 1871 at a cost of about six thousand
dollars. The first pastor of this church was Rev. James Rand. Among
successors have been the following: Revs. F. E. Davidson, J. Willis,
H. Prescott and G. N Musgrove.
The Methodist Church was organized in 1871 by Rev. J. H. Haines.
church is in a prosperous condition; Rev. S. P. Heath, pastor.
The Roman Catholic Church was organized hr Rev. Father Murphy, of
Laconia. He was by succeeded by Fathers Goodwin, Lambert and Galvin.
CHAPTER, IV. FRANKLIN—(Continued).
The Legal Profession—Physicians— Educational—The New Hampahire
Orphans' Home—The Press—The Transcript—The Merrimack Journal—The
Franklin National Bank—The Franklin Savings-Bank.
Lawyers.—The legal profession in Franklin, even from an early day,
numbered among its members some of the most distinguished lawyers
jurists in the State. The first lawyer in the town was Thomas W.
Thompson, a graduate of Harvard, who commenced practice here in
He was a member of Congress, State treasurer, etc. Parker Noyes,
early lawyer of the town, was also an able man. He was prominent
securing the charter of the town in 1828. Hon. George W. Nesmith,
judge of Supreme Court; Hon. Daniel Barnard; Hon. Austin F. Pike,
United States Senator; and Hon. Isaac N. Blodgett,1 associate justice
of the Supreme Court. Other lawyers are E. B. S. Sanborn, F. N.
Parsons, William M. Barnard (son of Judge Daniel Barnard), G. R.
E. G. Leach and W. D. Hardy.
Physicians.—The medical profession has also been well represented.
oldest resident physician is Dr. Luther M. Knight, who located here
June, 1845. Other physicians have been John H. Sanborn, H. W. Brockway,
W. W. Sleeper, Austin Durkee (deceased), William E. Keith, C. B.
Nichols and J. W. Staples.
Educational.—The town is more liberal in its support of schools than
any town in the State compared to its population. The present High
School was erected at a cost of about forty thousand dollars.
Two natives of Franklin are presidents of colleges, —Rev. N. J.
Morrison, D.D., president of a college in Missouri, and John W.
president of a college in Dakota.
The New Hampshire Orphans' Home—The first meeting for the organization
of this humane institution was held in Eagle Hall, Concord, February
At that meeting Hon. George W. Nesmith, of Franklin, was chosen
president; Hon. Horton D. Walker, of Portsmouth, vice-president;
C. W. Millen, of Tilton, secretary; Hon. John Kimball, of Concord,
treasurer; and Rev. D. A. Mack, of Franklin, superintendent and
In June, 1871, the institution was incorporated. The persons authorized
to call a legal meeting of the corporation did call it in July,
aforesaid charter was duly accepted by the grantees. Officers were
elected, and at that and a subsequent meeting, a board of directors
chosen, by-laws ordained and a committee was appointed to report
the location of the institution.
Part of the second section of the act of incorporation gives in brief
language the main objects of the Home,—
"The main object, or purpose, of this Corporation is to procure a
for the destitute orphans and homeless children in this State; to
furnish substantial aid for a time by feeding and clothing them
teaching them habits of industry ; by giving them moral and
intellectual improvement, and, finally, to seek out for them suitable
and permanent places of residence, where they may receive rewards
their labor, and ultimately become useful members of society, and,
consequently, be saved from pauperism, vice and crime."
It was empowered to take and hold personal or real estate to the
of three hundred thousand dollars.
Also to make legal and binding contracts with the guardians or friends
of the orphans in relation to their services and future employment,
were also authorized to make similar contracts with the overseers
the poor, or county commissioners, who may have the legal control
any orphan for the time being.
At a meeting of the board of directors, holden in August, 1871, the
committee appointed to locate the institution reported in favor
establishing it upon the Daniel Webster farm, in Franklin, extensive,
well located and full of historic interest. Their report was adopted
a vote of the directors. On the 28th of August the executive committee
of the board purchased of Messrs. Joseph Eastman and John C. Morrison,
of Concord, one hundred and eighty acres of the Webster farm, with
buildings thereon. The price demanded was ten thousand dollars,
owners remitted eight hundred dollars of the purchase money to the
corporation, leaving the price stipulated to be paid nine thousand
This was adjusted by the payment of five thousand dollars drawn from
the treasury; also by contributions of the citizens of the town
Franklin amounting $2504.24, a portion of which had already been
into the treasury; also from money received from sundry citizens
religious societies of the towns of Amherst, Andover, Bristol, Canaan,
Enfield, Exeter, Lebanon and Wilton, amounting in all to $1745.62,
including a small balance of interest which had accrued on the purchase
money. On the 19th day of October, 1871, the Home was duly opened
consecrated to the public use and to its professed objects by
appropriate ceremonies. Interesting addresses were made in the presence
of a large concourse of people by Professor E. D. Sanborn, Senator
Patterson, Rev. Mr. Heath, Rev. Dr. Davis and others. On the same
fair was holden for the benefit of the orphans by their friends
Concord, Fisherville, Lebanon, Andover, Salisbury, Tilton and other
adjacent towns, from the avails of which the treasury realized the
income of about four hundred and fifty dollars. In the same month
trustees engaged the services of Rev. Mr. Mack as financial agent,
wife as matron and his daughter Jennie as teacher, all at the fixed
salary of one thousand four hundred dollars, including also their
for the term of one year. The first orphan was admitted on the 26th
The Home was opened with Rev. D. A. Mack as chaplain and Mrs. Mack
matron. Mr. Mack remained its efficient chaplain until his death,
occurred December 1, 1883.
During the first three years the number of children averaged annually
from thirty to forty. During these years all the current expenses
paid, the Home was furnished with furniture and the farm with stock
tools. Besides this, a new building was erected at a cost of eight
thousand dollars, and five thousand dollars was left in the treasury
and nearly one thousand dollars on subscription. This brings us
1875. From 1875 to 1878 the chaplain served as financial agent only
mouths. During this time the funds of the Home decreased nearly
thousand dollars annually. In May, 1878, there were only two thousand
dollars on hand, and but little on subscription. During the last
years, from May 30, 1878, to May 30, 1883, Mr. Mack was the only
This institution was practically founded by Mr. Mack, and it was
through his untiring efforts that it was made a success. He planted
this institution here on a property for which a hundred per cent
has since been offered. He was voted ten per cent, commission on
first ten thousand dollars, but received little less than eight
cent. The endowment of the Home invariably increased when he acted
agent, and at no other time. By much hard labor he procured furniture,
furnishing for the dormitories, thirty thousand brick, boots, shoes,
cloth, books, papers, farming tools, etc., for the institution.
four hundred dollars was secured on the day of the dedication. On
donations he received no commission.
The first president of the Home was the honored and venerable George
Nesmith, who still occupies the position. His name has been a tower
strength to the institution and his counsels have been invaluable.
Mack is the present matron.
The Franklin Transcript was started by Mr. John A. Hutchinson. The
first number appeared July 6,1882. A seven-column folio, " patent
outside," was used. The paper was dated Franklin, N. H., and printed
O. A. Towne, at the Falls. Mr. Hutchinson was a man of feeble
who was able to put but little work into the paper, yet from the
it aid not only the running expenses, but a handsome sum beside.
taken suddenly ill of congestion of the lungs September 26th, and
October 5, 1883. The paper was continued by his widow during October,
and sold to O. A. Towne November 1st. Mr. Towne having other business
which demanded his attention, associated Mr. S. H. Robie with himself
in the enterprise, giving Mr. Robie the position of editor and general
manager. In December of the same year the paper was changed from
patent" to a " home-print' The subscription list and advertising
patronage increased materially. Up to the present writing it
constantly under the above management -in the firm-name of Transcript
The Merrimack Journal was founded in February, 1872, by Hon. Daniel
Barnard and Hon. Austin F. Pike, presumably with an idea of helping
assist Pike to a re-election to Congress. He was defeated. The
ostensible proprietors, whose names stood at the head of the paper,
were Moses B. Goodwin, a Washington journalist, lawyer and " literary
feller," and Frank M. Galley, a printer. In 1874, Omar A. Towne
chased Calley's interest, and in 1875, D. T. Elmer bought the paper.
His successors were F. K. & G. B. Wheeler, who bought in May,
B. Wheeler bought his brother's interest in 1877, and sold to Russell
P. Eaton, who had published the New England Farmer twenty-five years,
in May, 1880. In October of the same year it was purchased by the
present proprietor, Roscoe E. Collins, a practical printer and
journalist of wide experience, who made it an independent paper
things. It had been a twenty-eight column paper from its start.
1883, he enlarged it to a thirty-two column paper. It is read by
thousand people every week, and its circulation embraces most of
States and Territories of the Union.
The Franklin National Bank was organized November 22,1879. Alvah
Sulloway, Daniel Barnard, Warren F. Daniell, Isaac N. Blodgett,
Aiken, John Taylor, all of Franklin, and George E. Shepard, of Andover,
were elected directors ; Alvah W. Sulloway was chosen president,
Barnard vice-president and Frank Proctor clerk and cashier.
The capital ($100,000) was fully paid on December 6,1879, and the
charter of the bank (No. 2443) was issued December 20, 1879.
The bank opened for business January 1, 1880, in the rooms of the
Franklin Savings-Bank, which occupancy has continued to the
At each successive annual stockholders' meeting the same board
directors has been unanimously re-elected and the officers of the
remain the same as at the date of organization.
The surplus and undivided profits of the association now aggregate
fifth of the capital stock.
Franklin Savings-Bank was incorporated June 30, 1869, with the
following incorporators: Walter Aiken, N. H. Sanborn, Warren F.
Daniell, Austin F Pike, Jonas B. Aiken, Daniel Barnard, John Taylor,
Frank H. Daniell, George W. Nesmith, James Taylor, Alexis Proctor,
David Gilchrist, Edwin C. Stone Frank H. Aiken, Levi Richardson,
Stephen Kenrick, John W. Sweat, Ephraim G. Wallace, A. S. Nesmith,
W. Sulloway, John H. Rowell, William Russell, William A. Russell,
Blodgett, E. B. S. Sanborn, Asa B. Closson, Henry Burley, Benjamin
Hancock, Orin B. Davis, Watson Dickerson, John Proctor.
The following were the first officers and trustees: President, Austin
F. Pike; Secretary and Treasurer, Nathaniel H. Sanborn; Trustees,
Austin F. Pike, George W. Nesmith, Daniel Barnard, David Gilchrist,
Warren F. Daniell, Watson Dickerson, William A. Russell, John
Walter Aiken, Alexis Proctor, Jonas B. Aiken, Stephen Kenrick, A.
Present officers: George W. Nesmith, president; Alexis Proctor,
treasurer. Present trustees : George W. Nesmith, Daniel Barnard,
F. Daniell, John H. Rowell, Milton Gerrish, John Taylor, Walter
C. C. Kenrick, A. W. Sulloway, H. A. Weymouth, I. N. Blodgett, E.
Sanborn, F. L. Morrison.
The first deposit was made October 1, 1869, by Harry Hinds, of ten
Deposits, April 4, 1885, $593,930.
Presidents, Austin F. Pike and George W. Nesmith ; Treasurers,
Sanborn and Alexis Proctor.
Military Record, 1861-65.-The following men enlisted from Franklin
under the call of 1862 and subsequent calls:
Hubbard S. Kimball, James P. Simons, John Bankley,William Folley,
Edward McCoy, John James, George Ramsay, A. J. Sargent, John Brennan,
John Collis, Barnard Dormerly, P. McMahon, A. L. Smith, John C.
A. L. Corlias, Charles D. Colby, C. B. Woodford, C. C. Frost, H.
Huntoon, C. A. Fletcher, G. W. Daniels, Jacob G. French, Edward
Knight, G. F. Sweat, S. G. Couliss, H. H. Logan, Joseph Atkinnon,
Cochrane, S. H. Clay, R. Stevens, G. H. Stevens, J. L. French, A
Pettengill, J. P. Simons, R. Keysur, James Cate, L. M. Clark, John
Russell, J. B. Thorn, E. B. Ash, C. Lutz, A. F. Howe, G. S. Eaton,
George Folley, J. Fuller, John Sanborn, George W. Eaton, D. T. Cheney,
L. Cheney, Jr., John Ash, C. O. Dollof, A. M. Sanborn, James
Fitzgerald, Thomas Harley, James Hall, B. F. Pettingill, William
Wilson, Dnncan McNougbton, T. James, B. I. Barnes, C. J. Pipe, J.
Clinton, John Andersen, Calvin Sanborn, W. A. Gile, M. K. Smith,
Colby, E. B. Hancock, W. P. Kinsman, F. W. Ballon, George Green,
Bennett, A. T. Cate, D. T. Cate, S. Cook, L. M. Davis, H. W. Fairbanks,
Jr., H. F. Gardner, W. H. Keyes, C. C. Morrison, D. W. Parare, Joseph
Thompson, D. K. Woodward, T. P. Whittier, C. E. Thompson, J. P.
Sanborn, H. H. Sargent, H. B. Ingalls, S. J. Sawyer, W. J. Foster,
Gardner, J. M. Otis, Thomas Kelley, J. Gillooley, Joseph Bennett,
Charles Crawford, John Clancey, George M. Custer, Frank Cole, Thomas
Ford, Peter Phillips, J. O'Brien, Harry Casper, John Ludlow, James
Martin, John Murphy, John Smith, Joseph Sullivan, John Ward, Henry
Williams, James White, Thomas Cullam, N. Geary, John Gardner, John
Hustore, William Henry, John Johnston, R. J. Palmer, John Smith,
Solnary, William Wistar, William Riley, Asa Morrison, R. Brown,
Flynn, P. Kelly, George Ramscy, W. Elliott, Daniel Maxfield, G.
Clifford, J. Green, J. C. Bruce, J. F. Putney, Thomas Bruce, B.
Breed, Daniel Curtis, W. I. Dixon, Isaac Hamilton, J. H. Hunt, L.
Marinell, G. H. Stevens, C. H. Stevens, George Whitman, L. Reimann,
Flemming, R. Meir, Charles Hayes, C. H. Hogan, Daniel Douglass,
Bradley, Thomas Rider, William Andrews, John White, James Hayes,
Maxwell, William Harvey, John Weed, John Harrington, 0. H. Merrill,
G. Burleigh, H. J. Williams, Patrick Sawyer.
Back to Franklin
This page generously
Hosted By RootsWeb
Background Graphic by