Search billions of records on

                                 Greetings from Sandwich, New Hampshire

• Census • Covered Bridges • Disease • Town History • Slavery • Original Land Owners •


              Covered Bridges                        

Durgin Bridge 
    (click  for larger view)      


           The Durgin Covered Bridge       


  In 1844 the first bridge was built on this site in Sandwich  .This bridge was named for James   Holmes Durgin who ran a grist mill nearby. The bridge was also a link in the Underground Slave Railroad  from Sandwich to North Conway.

  In 1869, Jacob Berry of North Conway, built the next; Durgin Bridge. It  is the fourth one on this site, the others being washed away in 1844, 1865 and 1869. &; The location of the Durgin Bridge is one and one-half miles north of N.H. Route 113, two miles east of North Sandwich Village on Durgin Road
spanning the Cold Riv

         The Durgin Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. 




Home, Bios, Education, Census, Documents, Photos, Religion, Surnames & Town Records




Copyrightę 1999-2009 All Rights Reserved             


Copyright Notice:
All files on this site are fully copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor. They may not be linked to, nor be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Rosa/aka Birde Rediger and/or their contributor.

Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY. Use of this site denotes acceptance of these terms.