Brick Church, as it was
called, was built in 1832. Previously, the
Congregationalists of this area had been
attending church in Tamworth, which was about 40
miles away. Some would go on horseback and others
would walk. Rev. Samuel Hidden was the minister
of the Tamworth church.
At the time of the organization of the North Sandwich Church the following were some
of it's members; Neal McCrillis, Isaiah Fogg, David M. Foss, Joshua
B. Smith, David S. Emery, Jonathan G. Webster, Albert L. Emery, Joseph Hoit, Jacob
F. Moulton, Stephen Bennett Jr., Isaac Foss, Eliphalet McGaffey, William Weed, and
Josiah McGaffey. Neal McGrillis and Isaiah Fogg
On Dec. 19, 1832 it was voted to ask Rev.
Giles Leach to become the pastor of the church.
The bricks that were used in the construction on the new
church came from the McCrillis kiln. The church has long since been
dismantled and the bricks have been sold to various people and places. The
Sandwich Historical Society in Sandwich has
been able to obtain many of the articles from the church including the pulpit. A
wonderful treat to view.