This was one of the early 1800
schools in Sandwich. One of the schoolhouses were built in 1808 near Potash Pond.
maintained a large number of public schools to serve a widely scattered
By 1847 there were twenty- five school, all single classroom buildings, each
served by one teacher.
Very little is known of this
district. It was laid out in 1806 and seemed to have been named for one of the the
proprietors. Rueben Moulton was the school director in 1811/12.
Only two teachers are listed: they are Charles Gilman in 1815 &
Jacob Weed Page in
1816. Town reports of 1853,'56 &'58 show 24-29 pupils were attending.
school was built in 1825 at a cost of $130. The sz of which was
The school committee was: Benjamin Way, Sam Smith &
Ezra Meader. The
Director was Jeremiah Smith.
Old record books were kept from 1824-1877.